The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican
Felipe and Letitia didn't attend Ingrid Alexandra's baptism, but somehow managed to attend Fred and Mary's wedding one week to the day of their own. Also, didn't they attend one of the Jordanian princes weddings during or shortly after their honeymoon? Don't the Norwegian Crown Prince Couple attend most events? I'm not sure if there was anything to forgive on Haakon or Mette Marit's part, but personally I find the work ethic of The Norwegian and Spanish Crown Princely Couples far more admirable than Frederik and Mary's.
Frederik did not attend his godchild's baptism (for reasons I don't know) but he will attend Sverre Magnus' baptism,
maybe to make up for his missing Ingrid Alexandra's.
(He could have stayed at home like Willem-Alexander.)

Felipe missed his godchild's baptism and he will not attend this one either.
Attending the royal weddings in Denmark and Jordania does not make up for this, in my opinion.

I don't think that Mary or Letizia are to blame for not attending.
We don't even know if they were invited.

Moreover, I don't think attending royal weddings and baptisms has anything to do with work and therefore with work-ethic.
But I too applaude the Norwegian couple for showing up at most of these events
and especially at Christian's baptism, although they had two very good excuses to say: Sorry, we can't.
(the weather and their daughter's birthday)

Old 02-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

If you are having an event and there is someone you definitively would like to attend, you arrange a mutually agreeable date. To just send out invitiations and then complain that someone is not attending is actully quite arrogant. (Although the complaints are perhaps just an issue with board posters and not with the royal's themselves.)

Old 02-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
If you are having an event and there is someone you definitively would like to attend, you arrange a mutually agreeable date. To just send out invitiations and then complain that someone is not attending is actully quite arrogant. (Although the complaints are perhaps just an issue with board posters and not with the royal's themselves.)
You are right ... for a date involving 2 people. It might get more complicated with heads of different states.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
Neither Haakon or Mette-Marit have complained about it in public. Thus, it is hard to know whether or not they've complained about it at all.

It seems to mostly be an issue for online posters, as many issues are.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Courtier

I can't believe that my original post (#625 a few pages back) got me so many rocks over the head. ouach. Because frankly my second sentence: Ŧif two nice persons found in their heart to go to this baptism and showed warmth ...why can't I also give them a chance?ŧ means the same as Ysbel wrote a few posts ago ŦAt least Haakon doesn't think anything of itŧ. It's just that in my hood we don't use Ŧdon't think anything of itŧ. I actually find my wording nicer but less direct but I sure ain't gonna start a fatwa here.

You can love someone and defend this person but you don't have to kill people who don't share the same level of appreciation as you. I adore Queen Margrethe and don't like when people say she's a colorful loose cannon when time comes to chose a dress -ŧ I prefer to remind them that she vividly assumes her artistic sense.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:42 AM
Aristocracy

There´s something that does bother me, and that´s the way Mary sulks when she is on a private trip and she sees photographers around. I know it´s unpleasant to be waylaid by photographers everywhere when it´s not a public event, but sweetheart, it´s part of marrying a prince. The other princesses, I´m sure, don´t like it too, but at least they don´t look so grim and sour like Mary (the latest pics at the ski resort is an example). My goodness, poor Laetiza even had them on her HONEYMOON! And she smiled, and smiled.
Mary and Fred disappeared for weeks on their honeymoon. They deserved the privacy for the honeymoon, but now, on a skiing holiday, it´s exaggerated to look so unhappy as if she had been photographed in the shower or somethiing.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda
Felipe missed his godchild's baptism and he will not attend this one either.
Attending the royal weddings in Denmark and Jordania does not make up for this, in my opinion.
How do you know Prince Felipe is even invited to the christening of Prince Sverre Magnus? Frederik and Victoria is attending but they are from the neighbouring countries with whom there are extra close ties. Just like the neighbouring Grand Dukes of Luxembourg and The Dukes of Brabant attended Amalias christening without beeing godparents, Frederik and Haakon did not attend, does that mean they did not bother to show up for Amalia or does it mean they were simply not invited? There is no tradition in Norway to invite ALL royal houses to christenings.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
Thank you, Gaia. I don't understand the venom towards Mary either except that some believe she doesn't fit the classic blonde and/or beautiful cinderella that everyone envisions a princess to look like. That what some call her "plain" looks somehow translates into she's not a nice person or she's not a genuine person. I happen to think she is the prettiest of all of the princesses that I've seen. I love her clean cut, girl next door beauty. Her performance as CP of Denmark is just amazing and she has fulfilled her role with grace, dignity, style and humour without any pretentions, imo. I found the RF searching for info on Mary because I wanted to know what all the fuss was about. She's a natural princess and as far as I'm concerned is exactly what a modern princess is and should aspire to be.
Well said and I agree with all you say apart from the idea of a beautiful person having to be blonde are things of the past-well to me anyway- Think of Charlotte Casiraghi and i think of a beautiful raven haired princess or her mother Princess Caroline & Brooke Sheilds -sorry to be off topic slightly -Great post nonetheless.:) I like that Mary has dark hair and she has an interesting look about her.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
How do you know Prince Felipe is even invited to the christening of Prince Sverre Magnus? Frederik and Victoria is attending but they are from the neighbouring countries with whom there are extra close ties. Just like the neighbouring Grand Dukes of Luxembourg and The Dukes of Brabant attended Amalias christening without beeing godparents, Frederik and Haakon did not attend, does that mean they did not bother to show up for Amalia or does it mean they were simply not invited? There is no tradition in Norway to invite ALL royal houses to christenings.
I don't know it. But since Felipe is supposed to be such a good friend of Haakon I would believe he is invited.

I was responding to a person who accused Frederik of having no work ethic because he did not attend his godchild's baptism but found excuses for Felipe who also did not attend his godchild's baptism.

I was simply stating facts and my personal opinion that those excuses don't work for me.
Either you critizise both crownprinces or you excuse both of them.

And now - knowing that Mary is not godmother and Queen Margrethe will attend the baptism, so there is actually no obligation for Frederik to attend - I definitely say, he is making up for his missing.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra
Thereīs something that does bother me, and thatīs the way Mary sulks when she is on a private trip and she sees photographers around. I know itīs unpleasant to be waylaid by photographers everywhere when itīs not a public event, but sweetheart, itīs part of marrying a prince. The other princesses, Iīm sure, donīt like it too, but at least they donīt look so grim and sour like Mary (the latest pics at the ski resort is an example). My goodness, poor Laetiza even had them on her HONEYMOON! And she smiled, and smiled.
1. I don't think Mary looks grim and sour at these pics, although she is not smiling.
2. I have seen pictures of Letizia looking grim and sour even when she was at an official function. She is not always smiling.

This said to put the record straight not to put Letizia down.:)
Old 02-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I don't think that Mary or Letizia are to blame for not attending.

We don't even know if they were invited.
HRH the Crown Princess is attending the Christening with the Crown Prince & HM the Queen. HRH the Prince Christian is also travelling with his parents.

"MII"
Old 02-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Aristocracy

Thumbs up

Quote:
1. I don't think Mary looks grim and sour at these pics, although she is not smiling.

2. I have seen pictures of Letizia looking grim and sour even when she was at an official function. She is not always smiling.

WOW! Very well said.............I completely agree with you!!!!!!:) :)

Amen
Old 03-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia
I am truly encouraged reading the defense of Mary by her fans/supporters. This young woman who in a normal setting would have been considered focused, healthy, a good friend, and from a loving family, is found to be lacking in competition with others as a royal. In all my reading I have found her to be the least suspect, yet she is constantly targeted?

We all have our belief filters firmly in place when it comes to what we envision a cv should look like for a royal princess, but I cannot understand how her character is more suspect than others. Her courtship was long, her dress was modest and her immediate family were quietly living their lives elsewhere.

If your favorite is another wouldn't it be healthier to spend time in the thread of your favorite selling her good points, rather than trying to post bile about someone you don't like. That is how I ended up liking Mary to begin with, it forced me to find out the story behind the ugly posts and lo and behold I was baffled at how it was retold.
Well, I think that more than supporters we just try to be fair. I mean, the idea is to read an article or thought that initiated the thread and comment on it. Sometimes we just see things from a different angle even when we end up with the same conclusions. Reading on others picking and dissecting on tiny details about either one of them does not change my impression that both Mary and Frederick are one of the most likeable couples in royalty today.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Unfortunately, many of the functions that are attended by the Spanish royal family are of a sad nature. Too many tragedies during the past year and a half with emotions running very deep.

But about Princess Mary, a photo is but a second captured of a person's life. The photos we see in magazines are according to the agenda of the publisher and editors who decided what story will sell and what photo to use to emphazize that story. So, don't go by magazines' coverage. The video or TV is a little more reliable to read body language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbitha
Well said and I agree with all you say apart from the idea of a beautiful person having to be blonde are things of the past-well to me anyway- Think of Charlotte Casiraghi and i think of a beautiful raven haired princess or her mother Princess Caroline & Brooke Sheilds -sorry to be off topic slightly -Great post nonetheless.:) I like that Mary has dark hair and she has an interesting look about her.
You know what, the dark hair is one of her best contrasting features. Mary looks like a life version of what I would expect the fictional Snow White character to be portrayed in real life acording to the story: dark hair, pale complexion and ruby red lips. I think that's the fable's description .
Old 03-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Aristocracy

All those posts from Toledo and Ricarda etc, about my comments about Mary looking grim. Guess what? I agree with you :-)
I didn´t like how she looked when I first saw the pics, but there are a hundred and one reasons she looked that way...
Old 03-01-2006, 08:01 AM
Gentry

Quote:
All those posts from Toledo and Ricarda etc, about my comments about Mary looking grim. Guess what? I agree with you :-)
I didn´t like how she looked when I first saw the pics, but there are a hundred and one reasons she looked that way...

The problem with relying on press photos is that they take hundreds of them, and will often publish the one that will make them the most money,which isn't always the best one. This makes relying on photos alone problematic. All the crown princesses have photos where they look exquisite, and photos where they look terrible. Also, there are opinions to consider.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Courtier

When I hear of the arrogance and all of the scandals of other royal families, I appreciate Mary and Frederik and the entire DRF. They behave the way people in their position are supposed to behave. CP Mary didn't have any skeletons falling out of the closet before her wedding to embarrass her new family, her family are dignified and discreet and Frederik is charming and a gentleman. He fell in love with her when she was just plain Mary, girl next door. He new there was something special about her and went for it. And yet there is this constant attack on this couple. This thread, which started in early January, seems very long at 35 pages.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I didnīt like how she looked when I first saw the pics, but there are a hundred and one reasons she looked that way...
Maybe when their kids are older and in school our royal ladies in question will have time to relax a little more. Right now they all have the same pressure of being new royals by marriage, mothers of future Heirs, and they have to step out looking as if they had a full night sleep even with a newborn in the house, I mean, the palace.
For example, Cristina and Elena of Spain and Alexandra of Denmark look healhier and better now that the kids are older than during their diaper changing days.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
CP Mary didn't have any skeletons falling out of the closet before her wedding to embarrass her new family, her family are dignified and discreet and Frederik is charming and a gentleman. He fell in love with her when she was just plain Mary, girl next door. He new there was something special about her and went for it. And yet there is this constant attack on this couple. This thread, which started in early January, seems very long at 35 pages.
Really enjoy your posts- couldn't agree more. That is what I like about Mary's family- Not once have they embarrassed her or tried to cash in on her situation. I really admire them for that- they have supported Mary 100%. I know her mother would have been very proud of her.:)
Old 03-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Thank you, Gaia. I don't understand the venom towards Mary either except that some believe she doesn't fit the classic blonde and/or beautiful cinderella that everyone envisions a princess to look like. That what some call her "plain" looks somehow translates into she's not a nice person or she's not a genuine person. I happen to think she is the prettiest of all of the princesses that I've seen. I love her clean cut, girl next door beauty. Her performance as CP of Denmark is just amazing and she has fulfilled her role with grace, dignity, style and humour without any pretentions, imo. I found the RF searching for info on Mary because I wanted to know what all the fuss was about. She's a natural princess and as far as I'm concerned is exactly what a modern princess is and should aspire to be.
With all due respect as far as the blonde issue goes I think for alot of people it's completely irrelevant. To suggest that people dislike her because she's not a traditional blonde haired blue eyed princess is, imo, very simplistic.

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary