The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyangelEyes
Though Mary may well indeed be a nice girl , i think she is overrated.. She is pretty but plain.. very plain... nothing that makes me go "wow"... Princess Letizia is extremely beautiful , smart , and has a certain charisma about her.. she is truly a one of a kind.. :)
Yes, but why don't you go down to the the Letizia thread to post all the extremely excelent things she does and is!!!! Many of the people that read the Danish section don't care for Letizia. LadyangelEyes if you the next many months can provide LOTS of information and pictures of Letizia, you will sound trustworthy. It is nmot in the Mary thread that you can praise Letizia and that goes for other Letizia fans. Praise Letizia in Letizia's section of this forum:)

Old 02-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Though Mary may well indeed be a nice girl , i think she is overrated.. She is pretty but plain.. very plain... nothing that makes me go "wow"... Princess Letizia is extremely beautiful , smart , and has a certain charisma about her.. she is truly a one of a kind.. :)
The media's glorification of Mary shouldn't take away from the fact that she does a great job in her duites and representing Denmark as we've seen with her trip to Germany. I don't think her plain, girl-next-door prettiness is a handicap either. She is the best that she can be with what she has. That should be commended. Letizia is beautiful as she was lucky enough to be born with great genes. But she is also accomplished and carries out her duties for the SRF with grace, and that counts more than how beautiful she is. Also, remember that Spain and Denmark are different as are their RF's. Spain has 55 million people and there are only 5.4 million Danes. That should be taken into account when looking at what kind of events the CP's attend and how often.

Old 02-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromEU
Yes, but why don't you go down to the the Letizia thread to post all the extremely excelent things she does and is!!!! Many of the people that read the Danish section don't care for Letizia. LadyangelEyes if you the next many months can provide LOTS of information and pictures of Letizia, you will sound trustworthy. It is nmot in the Mary thread that you can praise Letizia and that goes for other Letizia fans. Praise Letizia in Letizia's section of this forum:)
Don't you invite these kinds of comments when there is a thread called What bothers you about Frederik and Mary? Is this supposed to be a pro-Mary thread? Doesn't seem like it.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
Don't you invite these kinds of comments when there is a thread called What bothers you about Frederik and Mary? Is this supposed to be a pro-Mary thread? Doesn't seem like it.
Sorry, but you are completely missing the point. The thread "what bothers you ........" is regarding why some users are unable to appreciate the good qualities in this couple. You are right that this is not a pro-Mary thread, but at the same time it is no way about coming up here and start singing praises about others and in the last dropping a line "...........So I don't like Mary."

By the way I am very tempted to start a thread "Why do fans of Letizia have so much insecurity about Mary?" after reading a lot of posts in this vein. But am not sure, should I or shouldn't I ?
Old 02-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Majesty

Everyone please take a deep breath and relax. This thread is entitled "What bothers you about Mary and Frederik" and not what do you like about Letizia, Maxima, Mette-Marit and whoever else. If you wish to sing the praises of the other princesses, I suggest that you find the appropriate threads in their respective forums instead. This thread is not a comparison between Mary and the other princesses. Saying that one princess is plain while another is beautiful brings nothing substantial to the discussion as it only serves to antagonize members. Let's keep this thread moving along with courtesy and civility as it was before this last episode.

Mandy
Danish Forum Moderator
Old 02-19-2006, 02:16 AM
Commoner

Apologies if i offended anyone , i was not trying to nor did i intend too... :)
Old 02-19-2006, 06:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorninin
Sorry, but you are completely missing the point. The thread "what bothers you ........" is regarding why some users are unable to appreciate the good qualities in this couple. You are right that this is not a pro-Mary thread, but at the same time it is no way about coming up here and start singing praises about others and in the last dropping a line "...........So I don't like Mary."
I stand by comment. Users are invited to make comparisons and worse, disparaging remarks! :(
Old 02-19-2006, 06:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I stand by comment. Users are invited to make comparisons and worse, disparaging remarks! :(
But this thread is not meant for comparisons, the only reason in my opinion why certain posters do nothing on this board but make comparisons between CP Letizia and Mary is maybe because they are a little insecure over the "competition". Whatever that may be.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:44 AM
Gentry

Quote:
You are welcome to it.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
You know what I seriously don't understand about that? How come they are so, so very popular?! Is it because all the star-struck Aussie readers of Hello are voting as if their lives depended on it?

Seriously, when I think about what I know about Frederik as a person, it really is not much.

1. Is he smart? Dunno. The one interview with him I read had only one interesting thing to say, which was that he as a child felt distant from his parents. But that was it. Not someone with an interesting vision, imho.

2. Is he good looking? Mwah. He's ok looking but certainly not better looking than the other princes in the poll, Haakon and Felipe of Spain.

3. Mary.
Is she prettier, smarter, nicer or otherwise more special than, say, Letizia of Spain or Maxima of the Netherlands? What are Mary's redeeming qualities? She's not artistic and eccentric like Margarethe, she's not of the exotic beauty of her ex sister in law. Heck, she doesn't even work as hard (ok, not yet) as Alexandra.

I know liking someone (especially having only the media as a source) is in the eye of the beholder, but come on, what on the planet is just so special about this prettyfied girl-next-door over an obivously smart girl like Letizia, or an obviously gregarious and social girl like Maxima?

Why oh why, is really my question, is Mary so lionized? I'm mystified... I take it I must have some perhaps obvious blind spot when it comes to this, in my view, average-on-all-fronts couple.

The only reason I see for liking her is, weirdly, her father: he seems to be a down to earth kind of guy, a bit no nonsense. Maybe she is like him and is down to earth and that's what people like about her?
This is proof right here, Australian, that this thread is exactly about comparisons and unflattering remarks.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorninin
You are welcome to it.
I don't make disparaging remarks so get your facts straight. But this thread is all about that, period.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes but my point is, Laviollette, that certain posters have joined this board and started comparing Letizia and Mary and nothing else, i would understand if there was a thread called "Letizia v Mary" but there simply isn't. So that is my point.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Gentry

The above examples are just few of those who really are not getting the point. Go on make the comparisons, the disparaging remarks but are you interested in understanding what exactly is bothering you that just stems from this couple's behavior. And why are these same questions being answered differently by others? The idea is to find if the things which are polarizing people really even worth the attention. How much of an impact is it really going to make after a decade or so. People change, all of us and the fact that judgement on this couple is being based on one moment in time is unfair to these two.

Maxima's social skills are something to be envied, but when you see a picture of her blowing a gum in a high profilic event as Turin Olympics, it is a contrast to royal behavior. And Letizia's career is very inspiring in itself for us modern woman, but really what is it to do with her job as rearing the heir to Spain's throne or when her royal duty consists of following her husband. As for Frederick some of us do find him good looking and for smartness, it would be such a shame for someone as brilliant as Einstein to be left running a monarchy instead of devoting his time for the goodness of humanity.

I am not trying to offend any of you. Sometimes I have the same problem, of categorising people. But the loss is all mine as I end up not appreciating those good qualities which I lack.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:06 AM
Gentry

Sorry for my brief comment, I was trying to talk about your stand towards your comment. Different people, different perceptions.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
What is your point here? Mary is plain, so she is a bad CP, Letizia is beautiful, so she is a good CP?
Seriously, have you read the title of this thread?
I don't want to be aggressive or nasty but this is not a teenybopper thread about who you would take on a date.
Please do make valid points!!
This thread was very interesting until only few weeks ago, why do the conversation is heading so low now?

Old 02-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

I know! I agree with you Idiel, lets make a move to make it more mature again. But then again, I don't really agree with the idea of this thread.

What bothers me about Frederik and Mary is that maybe the press try and make them look like a perfect couple when possibly they could be just a normal couple as any. I think the press ahs a lot to do with how people are perceived which could bother famous couples, ie Frederik and Mary. What if they dont want to be portrayed as that? They dont have a choice.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Heir Apparent

2 days at the Olympics and 2 days in northern Germany with more or less meaningless duties...good, that Frederik has the remaining February off!! No one wants him to burn out
Old 02-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Aristocracy

Lena,

You gave me a good chuckle with that "No one wants him to burn out "
comment. Love it!!
Linda 85
Old 02-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

They really havent been doing much but I guess in their monarchy it is not required.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
2 days at the Olympics and 2 days in northern Germany with more or less meaningless duties...good, that Frederik has the remaining February off!! No one wants him to burn out
Do you seriously believe that royals only carry out duties in front of a camera??

Closed Thread

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary