What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have nothing against Mary but let's not make her a role model. Her accomplishments prior to finding Fredrik were not exactly of "role model" caliber.

GlitteringTiaras said:
Is there really such a thing as being "perfect" a majority of the time? For all rational & logical human beings this theory is completely impossible. No one in this world is "perfect" in every sense of the word. We all have our imperfections, we "mess up" and make silly decsions from time to time, that is what makes us unique. Even Princesses are not perfect; we would like to think so, but let's be rational here, they're not.

Mary has done a pretty good job so far as a representative for Denmark. People should be proud, but by no means is she perfect. I'm sure she would agree with me on this one if she took an active participation in this discussion.
Thanks thats what I meant. She does a really good job as a crown princess, loves her family and thats all that matters. Also that quote was from Crown Princess Mary's Current Events where I was initially refering to her choice of outfit that she wore on the reveal of her new portarit. So to qoute me from another thread without knowing what I meant is just wrong. I mean no offence I didn't even what to comment on this thread because I think its useless to talk bad about someone we personally don't know but I felt I had to when my qoute (that was in another thread) was misconstrued.

Lasse Pederson stated that in his opinion, Mary is perfect most of the time. Lasse never said she was perfect all the time. IF she was perfect, then she would be perfect as Crown Princess all the time - that would make her perfect. But Lasse said "most of the time" so it doesnt make her perfect. Thats what I think he was saying- or at least thats how I interpreted it.

IMHO Mary should be considered a role model, she's a member of the oldest royal family and the Danish people have taken to her whole heartily. They seem to care very deeply for her. I think she's done very well representing her adopted country and has sparked new interest in royalty in general. At least she has done so with me.

I personally think Mary is doing a good job. I didn't really have an opionion about her at the beginning. I wanted to watch and see how she would do. She is a smart, educated, and very determined woman. People in her country really look up to her, she is great with the young people there and she is really trying to be the role model people are expecting her to be. I really respect that.

Obviously she's not perfect, but when someone is doing all they can to emulate the image of a respectful crown pricess, you have to give her credit for that. Just my opinion.

Australian said:
Lasse Pederson stated that in his opinion, Mary is perfect most of the time. Lasse never said she was perfect all the time. IF she was perfect, then she would be perfect as Crown Princess all the time - that would make her perfect. But Lasse said "most of the time" so it doesnt make her perfect. Thats what I think he was saying- or at least thats how I interpreted it.

Thanks for your input.:) But I interpreted her statement completely differently.

grevinnan said:
I have nothing against Mary but let's not make her a role model. Her accomplishments prior to finding Fredrik were not exactly of "role model" caliber.

Very true.

missjane said:
I think Princess Mary embodies everything that women would like to be. Why else would we all spend so much time commenting on her apperance, clothes, shoes , family and everything else if we all didn't think so. I admire her in every way. I'm sure she has her faults, we all do. But what a role model she is for the modern woman.

If Mary is discussed it's because she's a public figure. It's not different from discussing what a movie star wore or something a politician said or did. The mere fact that somebody is in the public eye will undoubtedly result in thier being talked about.

As for embodying what every woman wants to be, as a woman, I must be the anamoly as I don't aspire to be like her as you suggested.

grevinnan said:

But neither were any of her counterparts yet I have seen them labelled as role models..And given her position, she is now, undoubtedly, a role model.

"MII"

Margrethe II said:
But neither were any of her counterparts yet I have seen them labelled as role models..And given her position, she is now, undoubtedly, a role model.

"MII"

Some of her comparators, perhaps.

Margrethe II said:

"MII"

That's true Margrethe II.
Also, i would like to add that Mary wouldn't be that bad at being a role model before she met Frederik. She was obviously a good girl, educated and a career woman which some people are not. So to those people, she can be a good role model.

Little_star said:
As for embodying what every woman wants to be, as a woman, I must be the anamoly as I don't aspire to be like her as you suggested.

Me neither. Mary hasn't done anything in her life besides marrying well. Marrying well isn't an achievement I find admirable although I have nothing against any women marrying well. A woman who marries well lasts only as long as the marriage.

Mary was a very ordinary woman with no special achievement academic wise or career wise before meeting Fred. There were quite a few scandalous stories surrounding her meeting Fred and questions about whether Fred courted her or she courted Fred. At the very least, she had no problem of giving up everything and moving half world away to be a "kept" girlfriend for two (?) years before getting an engagement ring on her finger.

After becoming the princess, she has made various dubious choices including posing for various fashion shoots in exchange for free designer clothes and accepting interviews in which she spouted airy ideas such as how to modernize the monarchy etc. In public, she gives out an haughty air with the constant chin-in-the-air and pasted on smile that never quite reaches her eyes. It all gives the impression of a woman who likes to be a celebrity princess than someone with substance.

This is not a role model I'd like any girls to look up to. Just my opinion.

A woman who marries well lasts only as long as the marriage.

Not if your a Crown Princess or Queen Consort! You become part of the fabric that is that countries (respective) identity & history.

There were quite a few scandalous stories surrounding her meeting Fred and questions about whether Fred courted her or she courted Fred

I hardly doubt they were scandalous.lol. It is the continuous hearsay distributed by those who have no evidence to support such claims that's scandalous.

At the very least, she had no problem of giving up everything and moving half world away to be a "kept" girlfriend for two (?) years before getting an engagement ring on her finger.

And what, a long distance relationship would have worked?.lol. :rolleyes: dear 'o' dear...

"MII"

Last edited:
highpriestess said:
In public, she gives out an haughty air with the constant chin-in-the-air and pasted on smile that never quite reaches her eyes. It all gives the impression of a woman who likes to be a celebrity princess than someone with substance.

You expressed my opinion very well highpriestess. I'm well aware that I don't know the Crown Princess personally - and doubt I ever will, since she lives in Denmark and I live in Brazil, but this is the impression I get from her too, her expression translates to me as quite haughty - unless when she is with Christian, that were the only time when I saw her smile genuinely reach her eyes.

I repeat that this is my impression and my opinion. I could change my mind if I ever get the chance to meet Mary - what, as I said earlier, is highly unlikely...

Margrethe II said:
You become part of the fabric that is that countries (respective) identity & history.

Excuse me, but I don't understand what you mean here. Call it a language barrier, but you mean that she has to let go of her personality and her past to become the Crown Princess? I'm sorry, but if this is what you're implying this is highly unlikely. Fred had his reasons to fall in love with Mary, and I bet he wouldn't like it if she suddenly became a mastered puppy of the institution. I feel that Mary was too fast, she suddenly was everywhere. I know that Alexandra is loved by the Danish people, I know that now she's divorced her appearances lessened a bit, but I think that she's the one who understood what being a Princess is all about. She knows she's not a celebrity.

I hardly doubt they were scandalous.lol. It is the continuous hearsay distributed by those who have no evidence to support such claims that's scandalous.

And there's also no comprobation that any of it is untrue. Or do you know something I don't?

And what, a long distance relationship would have worked?.lol. :rolleyes: dear 'o' dear...

Of course it would! He had the money to go to Australia and to bring her to Denmark whenever he wanted! I think that, by spending two years alone in a foreign country - whose language you don't speak - just expecting a ring to be slipped in your finger is not a good thing. It's like nothing else matters but the ring on the left hand. At least this is the impression I get from the happenings

She gave up it all too fast! Family, friends and everything she had achieved until that date. Of course that a job in a multinational and important company like Microsoft is very appealing, as well as being the girlfriend of a Prince, having your face splashed around the magazines...

well im sure if any of you women met a prince who was fond of you and wanted to marry you, you would have done the exact same thing as Mary given the chance. If not, then please, show her how its done since we seem to have some experts here.:( :confused:

Australian said:
well im sure if any of you women met a prince who was fond of you and wanted to marry you, you would have done the exact same thing as Mary given the chance. If not, then please, show her how its done since we seem to have some experts here.:( :confused:

You're under-estimating a lot of women in the world. As an educated woman with a serious career, I may respond to a prince when he comes courting. I definitely wouldn't move half world away with no job prospect in the new place, no ring on my finger and expect to be "taken care of" by my rich prince boyfriend. My pride and self-esteem wouldn't allow it. If "we" really want to be close to each other, either he would have to make equal efforts to be closer to me or I would find a job and relocate to somewhere closer to him.

BTW, it's been long admitted by even Danish reporters that Mary's job at the Microsoft-owned company was a sham. Fred arranged it with his buddy who's head of the company. The purpose was obvious that being a live-in girlfriend of the crown prince for so long didn't look good on her CV.

Margrethe II said:
Not if your a Crown Princess or Queen Consort! You become part of the fabric that is that countries (respective) identity & history.
"MII"

You probably misunderstood me. I said marrying well only gives a woman status as long as the marriage lasts. We all know how many marriages failed, even in the royal circle. Diana Spencer was a crown princess once. That raised her onto the world stage. It's her personal quality that kept her on it after her divorce. But she even suffered a loss of privillege after her divorce. That happened to all women who enjoyed status because of marrying well. Reality hit after a divorce. That's why I said marrying well wasn't an achievement by itself and it might not even last that long. If Mary and Fred divorce tomorrow, Mary will be back to be Mary Donaldson. She'll be recorded as Christian's mother in history. But nothing more.

highpriestess said:
You're under-estimating a lot of women in the world. As an educated woman with a serious career, I may respond to a prince when he comes courting. I definitely wouldn't move half world away with no job prospect in the new place, no ring on my finger and expect to be "taken care of" by my rich prince boyfriend. My pride and self-esteem wouldn't allow it. If "we" really want to be close to each other, either he would have to make equal efforts to be closer to me or I would find a job and relocate to somewhere closer to him.

BTW, it's been long admitted by even Danish reporters that Mary's job at the Microsoft-owned company was a sham. Fred arranged it with his buddy who's head of the company. The purpose was obvious that being a live-in girlfriend of the crown prince for so long didn't look good on her CV.

All i was saying is that because you ar not in the situation where you are going out with a prince, you are thinking logically. But if you were actually given the chance to be in that situation where you were going out with a prince, you might act/think differently.

You said i am underestimating alot of women- fine maybe i am, but can i say that you are underestimating Mary's decision to give it all up and go to Denmark. I doubt she would have taken it lightly like you so make out. I'm sure she would have jumped at the chance like alot of other people mind you,(hence my first paragraph) but i also think we shouldn't say that it was so easy for her to become a new person basically and leave the old life behind. I think the driving force behind it all was their love for each other.....corny i know, but its true.

Last edited:
In comparison to Letizia, Mathilde and Maxime she is quite an un-accomplished young woman.

IMO it's unfair to compare princesses to each other and their accomplishments. There is someone who is always better and worse than you are. I think all of the European crown princesses have shown an awful lot of maturity in giving up their past life and privacy for a life in the public eye/scrutiny and public responsibility. A lot of people talk about the advantages of being royal, but I would never give up the life I have now to be a crown princess. One thing that always makes me sad is that their first-born child (well, nowadays) has an automatic role in his/her country. They really don't have a choice. The kid could always abdicate or decline the throne but that's letting a whole country down. I don't think I would ever be able to do that to my kids. Give birth to an innocent baby for a lifetime of scrutiny and responsibility. And saying that Mary is less accomplished than other women is really not fair. They all grew up in different situations and circumstances. Didn't Maxime and Mathilde come from extremely wealthy families; where it might have been easier to "accomplish" more in places such as the corporate world? And isn't one of Letizia's parents also in journalism/communications?

BTW, I like all these princesses. :)

Last edited:
soCal girl said:
IMO it's unfair to compare princesses to each other and their accomplishments. There is someone who is always better and worse than you are. I think all of the European crown princesses have shown an awful lot of maturity in giving up their past life and privacy for a life in the public eye/scrutiny and public responsibility. A lot of people talk about the advantages of being royal, but I would never give up the life I have now to be a crown princess. One thing that always makes me sad is that their first-born child (well, nowadays) has an automatic role in his/her country. They really don't have a choice. The kid could always abdicate or decline the throne but that's letting a whole country down. I don't think I would ever be able to do that to my kids. Give birth to an innocent baby for a lifetime of scrutiny and responsibility. And saying that Mary is less accomplished than other women is really not fair. They all grew up in different situations and circumstances. Didn't Maxime and Mathilde come from extremely wealthy families; where it might have been easier to "accomplish" more in places such as the corporate world? And isn't one of Letizia's parents also in journalism?

BTW, I like all these princesses. :)

You are absolutely right. It isn't fair to compare others, and it also isn't fair to still have this thread opened.

Australian said:
You are absolutely right. It isn't fair to compare others, and it also isn't fair to still have this thread opened.

People is entitled to have different opinions and maybe that's the purpose of this thread: we are all royal watchers and have some favorite and non-favorite royals and there should be the opportunity to see both sides of the equation, not everybody likes Mary (don't include myself, I just don't care enough about her to love or hate her:rolleyes: ) and that should have an space in this mature and grown-up community:)

have to disagree with you there, this is merely a thread for people to come together and be mean and say how much shes this and that. Anyway...........

Australian said:
have to disagree with you there, this is merely a thread for people to come together and be mean and say how much shes this and that. Anyway...........

Many people do that, I have to agree with you on that; but there's still people who want a different kind of discussion and it should be granted as long it's not Mary-bashing, just express dissagrement and expose the points that cannot be posted elsewhere

grevinnan said:
In comparison to Letizia, Mathilde and Maxime she is quite an un-accomplished young woman.
What is an 'accomplished' young woman - crown princess-wise? Education? Family background? Money running in the family? Sounds awfully old-fashioned and a bit restricted, this 'unaccomplished'. Why shouldn't you be able to be a great young woman/crown princess even if you don't have what some people would call accomplishment? Being a normal, healthy, caring person who a CP falls in love with seems to be sufficient accomplishment.

highpriestess said:
Do you have a source? I haven't seen what you refer to here in the three Danish newspapers we subscribe to.

I always thought Mary, pre-engagement, worked at a Danish startup that was a derivative of Microsoft, not at MSFT itself. Is that correct? In any case, so what if the job was arranged by a friend of Fred's. Like it or not, that's still how the world today works--referrals.
What exactly, does anyone know, was her title/job description at said company?

princess olga said:
I always thought Mary, pre-engagement, worked at a Danish startup that was a derivative of Microsoft, not at MSFT itself. Is that correct? In any case, so what if the job was arranged by a friend of Fred's. Like it or not, that's still how the world today works--referrals.
What exactly, does anyone know, was her title/job description at said company?
I don't remember her job description, but the company she worked with was actually Microsoft. Microsoft had just bought what was previously Navision, a successful Danish software house. I think the purchasing price was over DKK 11 billion and said to be Microsoft's second largest purchase after Great Plains.

I am shocked at comments that Mary was unaccomplished in comparison to Letizia, Mathilde and Maxima, that she was ordinary with no special achievements and that the way she lived her life, as a good and decent person, friend, daughter and sister, would not be considered a role model.

She spent six years at college and university and graduated with Bachelors of Commerce and Laws degrees, she worked in the field of real estate and was surrounded by a loving family and a close circle of friends who didn't blab and sell her out to the press while she was dating CP Frederik. She was a role model long before she became a princess and has become even more so since becoming CP Mary of Denmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom