The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Aristocracy

I heard that it was not a matter of choice for Alex for being a mother only after 5 years -to put it in a nicer way. :)
Analytically, why would anyone put off children for so long - 5 years at the age of 30 years when the ovaries are ticking away heir or no heir. Career first ? Yes ...maybe for the first two years. Just my opinion.

The question of natural and not natural is depending on the situation of the environment. I believe all commoners have to undergo that when they married into Royalty. Letizia, Mary, Alex, Maxima, Mette Marit have sort of princess training course. In fact in DRF Per Thornit is the one that trained Alex and Mary. In official functions you can see the Princesses regal and poise, some quite uncomfortable in their new role which is natural and normal . But when come to unofficial functions you can see the differences, their happy carefree unguarded natural selves. There are many photos that support these findings. :)

Old 02-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria
except for the case of mette marit bec that's different she does need to hange.. this is just my opinion...
I understand what you are saying about being yourself and not having to change yourself to please other people. It's the principle being true and genuine. But I don't understand the Mette-Marit comment. Shouldn't she not have to change herself and her character to please other people? If you believe in a principle, it should apply to everyone. Her past experiences and having Marius have made her who she is and probably for the better. She's learned from the past but that does not mean she should change her character. Mary may have changed but she came from a very far away country. I really do hate doing this (Mary and Letizia comparison) but Letizia, as much as I admire/like her, did not come from a foreign country. She was already pretty well known in Spain so her straightforwardness was just a part of her that people probably already knew. She worked in journalism where you have to be quick and straightforward. Mary, however, had to adapt to a completely different country which might have had serious effects on her. Her character could have been changed through that from being removed from family and friends and familiar surroundings. As for Maxima (she seems to be a very beautiful princess), I do not follow her that closely, but if she manages to seem "real" then props to her! I know she is from Argentina so maybe she herself had an easier time adjusting to her adopted country. I agree Mary should stay true to herself but it may be harder than it sounds, especially when they're are outside pressures telling her what to do and what not to do.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:39 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aotearoagal
It was fairly lightweight. Denton said he wished he hadn't done it, because it was less interesting than his usual interviews, and also said some months later that he got the impression that Mary would 'soon be running Denmark'! Aotearoagal
That's strange, because there was a profile on Andrew Denton in the Sydney Morning Herald in December where he said what an "honour" and pleasure it was to interview Mary and Frederik. He would also have been pleased because it was his highest-rating program, and one of ABC TV's highest rating programs of 2005.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
That's strange, because there was a profile on Andrew Denton in the Sydney Morning Herald in December where he said what an "honour" and pleasure it was to interview Mary and Frederik. He would also have been pleased because it was his highest-rating program, and one of ABC TV's highest rating programs of 2005.
Yes i seem to recall this. There is no way that he would have wished he didnt do this interview as it was one of his major highlights for his show.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:52 AM
Nobility

I thought the Andrew Denton interview was really good. Not only is he an excellent interviewer but the subjects of the interview were, of course, highly interesting. Maybe it wasn't his favourite interview because he wasn't able to probe as deeply as he wanted to. He usually has a good knack for getting information out of people but probably wasn't able to exploit skill this as effectively.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:48 AM
Courtier

I think why people are making a big deal out of these photo shots by Mary was that she was not promoting the danish fashion industy because she did not wear much danish designer's clothes in the photo shots (i remember reading this somewhere...dun really remember since it's a long time) i believe the clothes are from prada, or chanel or some other international fashion companies....

As for the interviews...I think that it's perfectly fine to do interview as a crown princess/princess of denmark...It allows ur people to know you better, but what I think is that the interview should be done in Danish other than the first interview (the one b4 the marriage was done in english) since it's ur adopted country now....
Old 02-04-2006, 02:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
I understand what you are saying about being yourself and not having to change yourself to please other people. It's the principle being true and genuine. But I don't understand the Mette-Marit comment. Shouldn't she not have to change herself and her character to please other people? If you believe in a principle, it should apply to everyone. Her past experiences and having Marius have made her who she is and probably for the better. She's learned from the past but that does not mean she should change her character. Mary may have changed but she came from a very far away country. I really do hate doing this (Mary and Letizia comparison) but Letizia, as much as I admire/like her, did not come from a foreign country. She was already pretty well known in Spain so her straightforwardness was just a part of her that people probably already knew. She worked in journalism where you have to be quick and straightforward. Mary, however, had to adapt to a completely different country which might have had serious effects on her. Her character could have been changed through that from being removed from family and friends and familiar surroundings. As for Maxima (she seems to be a very beautiful princess), I do not follow her that closely, but if she manages to seem "real" then props to her! I know she is from Argentina so maybe she herself had an easier time adjusting to her adopted country. I agree Mary should stay true to herself but it may be harder than it sounds, especially when they're are outside pressures telling her what to do and what not to do.
yeah, i quite understand that. i'm sorry i dont post the reason about MM. well, my reason is that provided she did not change. do you think NRF would still exist? i don't think so. i mean yes, the fact that MM receives the warmth of her people now is the result of her change.she's very sorry for her past and she did promised to change. wel, they're you go. she did change and from what i've seen her she's actually doing a great job. she's complementing her husband just like the other CPss. i mean i love the way MM handles her duties. from what i see that's the real her. what i mean to not chnge is for mary.. she overshadows her husband. she's too glamorous. with maxima she came from a foreign country but i think she's not too glmaourous like mary. i mean she's glamorous with her clothes but thats not what i meant to say. glamorous being the personality and all. and she does not steal the spotlight from her husband. i think with all the pr of the DRF. they should stop advertising mary.. sooner or later many people would realize that being too glamorous.. for MM kudos to her for changing what she's already now. she's happy now.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:22 AM
Nobility

I never heard Andrew Denton say that he regretted the interview, but he did say when asked he named this as his worst interview. He described it as 'boring' because he 'isn't interested in royalty and didn't do any research' made me wonder why he did it in the first place. I can't really comment as I haven't seen many of his interviews, but I did see this one, and he seemed to like them fine
Old 02-04-2006, 08:48 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotdog
Official documentaries and interviews (really did interview her)

*NINKA book

*The DR documentary about her

*Denton Interview (filmed at the palace Jan/Feb 15 prior to Australian tour). Mostly about life as a Princess/ newly married. It's a "fluff piece"

* Greenland NU interview:
lots of cute pics of the newlywed Princes cuddling huky pups. Appears to be a face-to-face interview

*Dansk Magazine photoshoot promoting Danish Fashion Industry

*small interview on globalisation,

*short interview on sports and the importance of physical activities for Health week before her gallstone OP

*Australian Vogue right before she was made patron of Danish fashion

*Austrailian Womans Weekly probably was an "official interview" as it contained previously unreleased pics by Steen Evald at the palace. I get the idea that it may have been a phone interview though rather than an interview in Danmark like Denton did. WW is conservative an royalist, it has previously printed replies by Per Thornit so is about the only Woman's Mag in Australia they are likely to be interviewed by.

*Tara Brown's dreadfull "matchrace interview" prior to the wedding for Australia's sixty minutes.
Was face-to-face but after nosy questions on "pillow talk" 60 minutes are unlikely to ever get an interview again.
No wonder Denton/ABC got the job for the Australia tour.

May Not Have Been an Interview:
*Syndicated newspapers Australia (multi papers across Australia)
had interviews prior to the tour. Most of the shots look like they were reworking of Steen Evald's work for Woman's Weekly and other pre-published shots. If there was an interview it would have been ONE to one journalist. Syndicated hold many newspapers so re-wording and editing gives the impression that there was a lot of Newspapers getting interviews here. If there was an interview I expect it was by phone since I didn't see any sign of original photos but I wouldn't be suprised they all simply re-worked existing interviews eg Ninka
Thank you and Larzen, she did a lot of interviews compared to the other crownprincesses (just an observation), and many just about herself and her new position as well. I believe CP Mathilde, for example never ever gave an interview, and Maxima one before her marriage, with the PoO, intended as a portrait, and after that 1 about (her) intergration in our society and three on microfinance (I wonder about Letizia and Mette-Marit). Strange to notice that the media policies of the royal courts in these matters are so different.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
Thank you and Larzen, she did a lot of interviews compared to the other crownprincesses (just an observation), and many just about herself and her new position as well. I believe CP Mathilde, for example never ever gave an interview, and Maxima one before her marriage, with the PoO, intended as a portrait, and after that 1 about (her) intergration in our society and three on microfinance (I wonder about Letizia and Mette-Marit). Strange to notice that the media policies of the royal courts in these matters are so different.
Hi Marengo
Well the interviews should be about her, she was new back then and people wanted to know about her, what else would she talk about? She talked about herself and her new postition which is obviously what these interviews were about. She can only answer the questions the interviewee asks of her. If she was talking about herself, then obviously the questions that she was given was regarding herself.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
Hi Marengo
Well the interviews should be about her, she was new back then and people wanted to know about her, what else would she talk about? She talked about herself and her new postition which is obviously what these interviews were about. She can only answer the questions the interviewee asks of her. If she was talking about herself, then obviously the questions that she was given was regarding herself.
Usually it is the RF who controls interviews like these, and especially the topic of the interview (and often they know the questions before as well, and have control about how it is edited). So, if the interview was about herself, then the court and Mary found it fit to give interviews about herself (if they wouldn't have liked it they would not have allowed the interview to take place in the first place). That interviews should be about herself is something which is debatable, other courts have different opinions and most of them do not grant interviews like that, especially not on a frequent basis.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Usually it is the RF who controls interviews like these, and especially the topic of the interview (and often they know the questions before as well, and have control about how it is edited). So, if the interview was about herself, then the court and Mary found it fit to give interviews about herself (if they wouldn't have liked it they would not have allowed the interview to take place in the first place). That interviews should be about herself is something which is debatable, other courts have different opinions and most of them do not grant interviews like that, especially not on a frequent basis.
yes, true, but if the court found it fit, then what's the problem? I do understand your point and it is a good point but taking some of the forums danish posters point of view, the Danes dont seem to mind these interviews. And this is the most important thing.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Administrator

I didn't say there was a problem, but am just observing that the media policy of CP Mary is very different from those of the other european crownprincesses :)
Old 02-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I didn't say there was a problem, but am just observing that the media policy of CP Mary is very different from those of the other european crownprincesses :)
maybe the danes are very proud of her and want the whole world to know about their crown princess :)
Old 02-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
I think that's very true Marengo. The Danish Royal Family does give a lot of interviews. Although the Swedish Royal Family does too, the other royal families don't seem to follow that practice.

I believe anyone marrying into the DRF would be expected to give interviews.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
maybe the danes are very proud of her and want the whole world to know about their crown princess :)
well, well...to show of like that! Tsk, we could all start call them 'parvenu' and 'nouveau riche', if it wasn't the oldest monarchy in Europe But seriously, I get the impression the Danes are proud of their RF, and quite rightly so (Margrethe is just wonderful).
Old 02-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I believe anyone marrying into the DRF would be expected to give interviews.
I agree on that Ysabel, and I think regardless of the woman Frederik would have married, she would have been (also by the court) encouraged to promote danish fashion anyway as well.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I agree on that Ysabel, and I think regardless of the woman Frederik would have married, she would have been (also by the court) encouraged to promote danish fashion anyway as well.
We are in agreement lol:)
Old 02-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony
I heard that it was not a matter of choice for Alex for being a mother only after 5 years -to put it in a nicer way. :)
Analytically, why would anyone put off children for so long - 5 years at the age of 30 years when the ovaries are ticking away heir or no heir. Career first ? Yes ...maybe for the first two years. Just my opinion
Just for the record Alexandra had Nikolai about 3 years after she married Joachim. They were married in November 1995 and Nikolai was born in 1999. She has stated she wanted to get used to her new role and all the other changes that came with it first. Once she felt settled she and Joachim started a family. She certainly had a choice and she chose to get used to her princess role and married life for the first two or so years, which is a perfectly normal thing to do.

Scout, thanks for taking the time to explain the Danish-context. I found your posts to be interesting, insightful and in line with some of the opinions given by Danish members on other royalty boards. I hope you donít mind if I add my two cents on the Danish-context from an outsiderís perspective. Iíve mainly been reading this forum and this is my first long post, so please bear with me.

Iíve noticed itís often been said by Danes that CP Frederik should marry a foreigner because Denmark is a relatively small country (I mean this in the best, non-offensive way:) ) and it would decrease the mystique of the royal family if the Crown Prince married the girl next door, plus all the problems of people from her pre-princess life (relatives, high school friends, colleagues etc) talking to the press. The irony is that in Australia CPss Mary would be the girl next door. Her education and work experience is pretty typical of someone from a middle class family who has a bachelorís degree. Itís solid but not exceptional. In other words, if you kept everything about Mary the same, and simply changed the fact she grew up in Denmark rather than Australia, itís very likely commentators would be having discussions about how Frederik marrying a typical Danish girl is going to alter the mystery of the royals etc etc. IMHO that is one of the reasons why opinions on Mary in the Danish-context and royal forum-context differed in the beginning, because most members are not Danish and the fact that Mary is a foreigner Crown Princess is not something that gets taken into account. So without that factor when members here found out more about Mary some werenít very impressed, and that feeling may have carried over once she became crown princess, especially since some members disagreed with a few of her decisions.

Generally the media and public were pretty happy when the engagement was announced, Mary was really the first girl Frederik dated who fulfilled all the basic requirements: a foreigner with a university education and non-scandalous past, who was willing to follow all the visible (and invisible) rules of the DRF. I also think by the time Mary was revealed as Frederikís girlfriend, the media wanted Frederik to get married. They wanted a royal wedding, a new princess and a cute baby to write about. Thus when Mary came along and she fitted all the basic requirements, the media accepted her, wrote (generally speaking) nice things about her, and perhaps were willing to overlook certain things they would not have if say F&M had been engaged when Frederik was 25 rather than 35.

Itís interesting to contrast the way Mary is perceived with the way Prince Henrik was perceived in the beginning. Henrik married Queen Margrethe in the late 1960s when the DRFís popularity was lower than it is now and the government had a prime minister who was not pro-monarchy. When Mary became crown princess the DRFís popularity was/is high and the government had/still has a prime minister who is pro-monarchy. Henrik was criticised for not embracing Danish culture and being ďtoo FrenchĒ. The main problem was because he never learnt to speak Danish properly but he was also criticised for driving a Renault (French manufactured car), preferring wine over beer, silk socks over woollen ones (yes, Iím being serious!). Fast forward to now and you have CPss Mary openly acknowledging her attachment to Australia on several occasions, going on a long and well publicised official visit to Australia, becoming patron of 1-2 Australian charities, giving a number of interviews to the Australian media and there are numerous articles about how she is ďour Australian princessĒ etc. Yet the public reaction is how beautiful she looked in the Vogue interview and how wonderful it is that the Australian media/public likes her. Iím not going to pass judgement on whether those things should/shouldnít have been done, but itís interesting how Henrik gets criticised for driving a Renault but Mary does all the above and gets praised for it. My point: how a new royal is received in the beginning depends on the popularity of the monarchy and general political sentiment at the time. Whether a royalís actions get criticised depends on how much the media and public likes you. In Maryís case I think she was greatly helped by the fact she became crown princess at the height of the DRFís popularity and that she was warmly embraced from the beginning.

For those of you kind enough to get to the end of this long post this is (finally!) the end. I guess this looks more at why CPss Mary is very popular in Denmark and really addresses some of the questions in the first post of this thread, rather than what bothers me about Mary or Frederik. To Scout, UserDane and all the other Danish members of this forum I hope you arenít offended by any of my observations and that I donít sound too ignorant of the Danish mentality and attitudes toward the monarchy.:) :) :)
Old 02-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Royal Highness

Emi, thanks. :)
Yours and Scout have provided us with some of the best and most neutral and well balanced posts anywhere in any forum or thread to explain the fascination for what has been coined with humor as the Cult of Mary. Interesting to say is one human being, the girl next door, has evolved in such short time from a person to a symbol. This would be a fascinating subject for a Master Degree dissertation on Sociology or Psychology in case we have any students in the forum thinking about what thesis or projects to write about in college.

Closed Thread

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary