What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The DRF is very popular because the Danes love their queen. Fredrik and Mary will have to earn their love from the Danish people when that day comes. It may not be such an easy ride after all.

grevinnan said:
The DRF is very popular because the Danes love their queen. Fredrik and Mary will have to earn their love from the Danish people when that day comes. It may not be such an easy ride after all.

Frederik & Mary are very much loved by the Danish populous....not as their Sovereign, but as their Crown Princely family.

"It may not be such an easy ride after all"... I'm not sure what the intended purpose of this comment is. What do you have to compare with?

"MII"

Last edited:
Well, anyone would have a hard time following Margrethe's footsteps:rolleyes: ;)

crisiñaki said:
Well, anyone would have a hard time following Margrethe's footsteps:rolleyes: ;)

HM the Queen has certainly set a standard that would be tough to beat, not only in Denmark but throughout the remaing monarchies of Europe. Frederik is, however, his mothers son and they are alike in many ways. When Frederik inherits the duties of sovereignty he shall do so with the support & love of the Danish Kingdom...

"MII"

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
HM the Queen has certainly set a standard that would be tough to beat, not only in Denmark but throughout the remaing monarchies of Europe. Frederik is, however, his mothers son and they are alike in many ways. When Frederik inherits the duties of sovereignty he shall do so with the support & love of the Danish Kingdom...

"MII"

When I read your posts, MII, I feel like I'm taken to regency England, it's so elegant;) :)

Christo's Girl said:
I think the reason why Mary is popular with the press and others is that she really just enjoys being a princess. She loves the attention and the glamour that goes with it and I don't begrudge her it at all. Also, the Australian papers keep her profile high, so that helps as well.

Your right the Australian papers and mazagines do keep Marys profile high. They have a habit of printing useless page filling information. Which I find annoying.

You might find it annoying lise, but I highly doubt that the Australian newspapers and magazines find it annoying, because they are loving the fact that Mary is Crown Princess of Denmark and is from Australia because they know that Mary sells newspapers and magazines. You are right when you say they print useless information, I agree with you on that point, and I do find it annoying when they print things that are false (such as Mary's PND), but that is why these magazines are called gossip magazines. They are nothing but time-fillers for people who like reading about celebrites, and the reason Mary's profile is kept high in Aus is because she moves the magazines off of the shelves because everyone wants to read about the fairytale that she lives.

JessRulz said:
They are nothing but time-fillers for people who like reading about celebrites.

A royal is above the station of celebrity...More, a person(s) or institution of interest ;) :)

I totally understand what you are saying though "JR"

"MII"

Last edited:
keira_jeanne said:
In my opinion the reason why Frederick and Mary are so popular is because I haven't really seen any royal couple more in love in public unless it's all just for show but Im having a hard time believing that and another thing is Mary totally reminds me Princess Diana they are both very pretty and have a mind for fashion the only difference they have is Princess Diana really cares for the people she travels around the world visiting Third World countries and esp. people with AIDS which was very important to her and I haven't heard Princess Mary doing any of that I mean I don't hate her for that I guess she's still new at this and she just had a baby Princess Diana was born an aristocrat and last thing they are really perfect for each other I just love them and support them all the way

I think Diana had been married for a few years before she actually started earning the title of "Queen of Hearts" Keira. I personally think that Mathilde of Belgium would be the most likely of the Crown Princesses to merit that title but that is just my opinion. I think Mary has plenty of time to find her "niche" in the humanitarian stakes.:)

Scott

lise said:
Your right the Australian papers and mazagines do keep Marys profile high. They have a habit of printing useless page filling information. Which I find annoying.

I have to agree with you lise. Between the rubbish they print about Princess Mary and if they have nothing on Mary they either make it up or print photos of Leyton Hewitt and his family, one really has to wonder if the people who print these weeklys realise there are other Royals and people of interest in the world that could/would just as easily sell the magazine for them.

I have to admit I enjoy reading about Mary and the DRF, but the headlines/sub-headlines the magazines use at times verge on the ridiculous.

Scott

Christo's Girl said:
I think the reason why Mary is popular with the press and others is that she really just enjoys being a princess. She loves the attention and the glamour that goes with it and I don't begrudge her it at all. Also, the Australian papers keep her profile high, so that helps as well.
It puzzles me a bit every time I hear that Mary loves the attention and glamour of being a princess etc. She may enjoy being a princess; being that is part of the parcel called Frederik and she's good at being a princess IMO. I much prefer someone who is capable of seeing the enjoyable aspects of being a princess instead of one who is clearly uncomfortable or perhaps even feeling slightly miserable about being one.

But I think it is a bit unfair to Mary to state that she loves the attention and glamour that goes with it. I look at it in the way that she has a professional and IMO very rational approach to it - if you have to do this 'job' you might as well give it your best. Professionalism in the best sense of the word.:)

UserDane said:
But I think it is a bit unfair to Mary to state that she loves the attention and glamour that goes with it. I look at it in the way that she has a professional and IMO very rational approach to it - if you have to do this 'job' you might as well give it your best. Professionalism in the best sense of the word.:)

Precisely UserDane ;) :)

The Crown Princess' approach to public life is one of professionalism...HRH executes her position & duties with the utmost spontaneity & charity...

Would anyone not agree that all of Europes Crown Princesses share in this common persona?

"MII"

P.S.

I recognise that Christo's Girl has stated that she does not fault nor does she think ill of Mary for the way she *Christo's Girl*, perceives her to be adjusting.

Last edited:
Why does Mary never seem to be smiling at Frederick. He always seems to be happy and holding her hand and kissing her and smiling. It always seems like an effort on his part. Is she trying too much to be "royal" like? I like Mary alot, but I would like to see her smile at this wonderful husband of hers. And for her to seem more happy when she is around him.

This is my opinion, but if anyone could shed some light on the situation I would greatly appreciate it!

Empress said:
Why does Mary never seem to be smiling at Frederick. He always seems to be happy and holding her hand and kissing her and smiling. It always seems like an effort on his part. Is she trying too much to be "royal" like? I like Mary alot, but I would like to see her smile at this wonderful husband of hers. And for her to seem more happy when she is around him.

This is my opinion, but if anyone could shed some light on the situation I would greatly appreciate it!

Look she is a beautiful and young woman who is put in a position of always being "on stage". It is hard enough to start a new life and in her case in a strange land and have a new baby and always have someone staring at you and not being able to just live every day as it comes. She may be shy, nervous at doing something incorrect or just trying to be perfect for her job, so as not to embarass the royal family. Let her just be. She is very lovely.

A photograph is a flash second in time. Maybe Mary wasn't smiling just when the unexpected flash of a camera appeared. We can't expect her to have a smile on her face every second of the day, imagine how her face muscles would hurt.

Australian said:
A photograph is a flash second in time. Maybe Mary wasn't smiling just when the unexpected flash of a camera appeared. We can't expect her to have a smile on her face every second of the day, imagine how her face muscles would hurt.

Just to be clear, I was not attacking Mary. I quite like her. It jsut seems to me that in the majority of the photos she is not smiling, and almose never does she look as happy as her husband. One would think that she would smile and show her love. But I can understand if she is trying to be stoic and show a proper persona for a royal.

I know your post wasnt attacking Mary, it was a valid observation. I think that when Mary gets a few more years of experience in the public spotlight, she will be less aware of everything (paparazzi etc) around her and be more at ease.

Christo's Girl said:

You say it like if it was a bad thing. :rolleyes:

Popularity, press following you, magazine covers and invitation to the best places around. Not to mention your name on history books from here until the next meteorite comes down on us. And she is pretty and smart too, so more power to her. :)

Last edited:
Empress said:
It jsut seems to me that in the majority of the photos she is not smiling, and almose never does she look as happy as her husband. One would think that she would smile and show her love. But I can understand if she is trying to be stoic and show a proper persona for a royal.

I, of course don't know Mary at all but I've been a much interested reader of the translation of the interviews she gave when she was engaged (Thank you again for translating and posting the contents here). Thus I formed my personal view of the princess and somehow her public appearance seem to fit.

She said herself that she is a rather private person and she appears to be a very serious character by nature. In my opinion, this is one of the attraction this girl offered the prince, as it is quite rare to find somebody who is really interested in you as a person, seriously interested but not much in the brimmings of your background. I wouldn't wonder if the sailing was the thing that brought them together as there is few things that tell you more about a person's character and how you interact together then to go sailing together for a longer trip. There simply is no place for vanity, laziness adn egoism on board a small ship. If you don't fit in with the crew you never get another invitation. As both are sailors, I presuem they both knew it and knew what they had found.

Mary appeared to me as being serious, reliable, caring and energetic - which is great if you do not only seek a lover but a companion and partner to share a burden which is not only enormous due to the history and tradition it carries but due to the everyday duties when it comes to people you are responsible for. Mary, in my opinon, was a first-class choice because she seems to be a person very dedicated to duty. She will probably never walk out of her marriage and her duties as Cp and future queen.

But - she appeared to be a person who has difficulties in deciding. Because she sticks to her final and basic decisions and does not seek the easy way out. That adds quite a burden to any decision, but imagine what that meant when it came to the decision of marrying Frederick.

I've seen this character trait of being insecure in the evaluation of your choices often in people who lost a parent while still in their formative years. IIRC correctly she was 15 when her mother died, which changed the way her family was working. There was no knowing that there would be another wife for their father, so during this time Mary had to take over more and different responsibilities within the family while at the same time the loss of a mother/confidante left a serious open space in her life.

In addition she has been the daughter of immigrants to Australia. While Australian and Scottish life do seem related when you watch it form the outside, I believe it is a cultural clash none-the-less between one of the most conservative parts of Europe and Australia. Growing up in an immigrant's household might be a source for insecurity as well. A Scottish dad in mourning who as a single parent raises a daughter in her teens is bound to be less relaxed and less free than the parents of other kids of the same age.

So for me the picture of a thirty-year-old woman emerged with a lot of depth and a lot of insecurities. She took her time deciding if she wanted to be with Frederick and she behaved in a way that she had as much possibilities in her final decision as possible.

Now she took the decision and now tries to feel secure. Which is difficult as best. But Royal protocol always was a means to cope with life for people who had contact with Royals. Protocol and etiquette was not invented to make life more difficult as it created differences but as a way to deal with differences in social position and standing. men simply were not equal till protocol was invented, it was the other way round: protocol is nothing but a fixed and thus secure code to live together.

Mary acknowledged that in her interviews when she talked about the fact that as a couple she and Frederick cannot simply travel into a foreign country but that the authorities have to be alerted first and the rules of protocol have to be worked out and followed. This is not for her and Frederick's benefit but for the people who are not asked if they want to deal with Fred and Mary but are forced to deal with them because these two decide they want to travel there. It is the way others deal with their being Royal that asks for rules to help both parties.

Mary seems to be a very correct and honorable woman. Thus, I guess, the rules of protocol appear to her as guidelines she wants to follow. If she appears aloof though it, then it's because she is still pretty new to the codex. Once she actually feels more secure in her new "Royal" skin, I'm sure she will loosen up.

I agree with most of what Jo of Palatine has said as, being from Edinburgh originally,I think that a scottish upbringing is a lot different to my perception of a totally australian one. However, Mary's mother died in 1997 when Mary was 25 so she did have her mother for her formative years.

Toledo said:
:rolleyes:

Popularity, press following you, magazine covers and invitation to the best places around. Not to mention your name on history books from here until the next meteorite comes down on us. And she is pretty and smart too, so more power to her. :)

I agree with you here. i think with Mary what you see is what you get really.
I think she is down to earth, loves fred and her family and acts accordingly within the DRF. Some people just don't show alot of affection in public and there is nothing wrong with this either- each to their own.She wants to be respected and shows her maturity as her age shows- she isn't a silly giggling teenager- not that there is anything wrong with that either :p but i don't feel she went into this marriage all starry eyed and innocent.I think she is doing a fab job and has the support of fred the DRf and her family which some Cp's in the past didn't have.

Toledo said:
You say it like if it was a bad thing. :rolleyes:

How can you tell that? Can you hear the tone of my voice? How is it negative? And yes, the Australian papers do keep her profile high. Also, I don't think the CPs will ever enjoy the attention and fame that Diana had, I think the world is sort of over that mentality.

Christo's Girl said:
How can you tell that? Can you hear the tone of my voice? How is it negative? And yes, the Australian papers do keep her profile high. Also, I don't think the CPs will ever enjoy the attention and fame that Diana had, I think the world is sort of over that mentality.
I don't think any of the CP's would ever want to have the attention and fame that Diana had. Just a good profile in thier own countries. I don't think the Australian papers keeps Marys' profile high any more. Since the trip last year there has only with a few exceptions, the birth and the christening, but other than that there is only just a little article now and then on Mary, but nothing much.

So what if the Australian magazines keep Mary's profile high? Of course they are going to, she is the second Aussie to marry into a royal family (first to marry into a reigning family) and it is not everyday that something like that happens here in Australia. It was something different and the magazines are going to have field days with it.

I just recently read a report stating that Princess Mary is not the most covered person in New Idea or Womans Weekly (cant remember) and that it is now Bec Cartright (an aussie soap star). So i think that mary's australian profile is not getting any higher and is taking a backstep. They are getting over the novelty of it so to speak. (slowly but surely), until the next danish royal event.

i believe that CP Mary went through many courses like etiquette and speech to become a princess, i praise her dedication but i have one problem with that and that is the fact that she has concentrated so much on being the perfect princess that it feels she has lost her own charisma and personality within that process, i'm not saying that she's a bad person or she's doing a bad job within her role, i'm just saying that she could loosen up and let her personality shine through, so what if she has an australian accent, she should speak that way but in the interviews i heard her speak in it seems to be restrained and calculating in a way, she's just not being herself. Diana(many would say was the perfect princess) was a natuarl, charismatic, beautiful, fashionable and FUN princess, Mary may have all those stuff but she just isn't letting come out.

pinkylou said:
i believe that CP Mary went through many courses like etiquette and speech to become a princess, i praise her dedication but i have one problem with that and that is the fact that she has concentrated so much on being the perfect princess that it feels she has lost her own charisma and personality within that process, i'm not saying that she's a bad person or she's doing a bad job within her role, i'm just saying that she could loosen up and let her personality shine through, so what if she has an australian accent, she should speak that way but in the interviews i heard her speak in it seems to be restrained and calculating in a way, she's just not being herself. Diana(many would say was the perfect princess) was a natuarl, charismatic, beautiful, fashionable and FUN princess, Mary may have all those stuff but she just isn't letting come out.

I have to agree. The accent thing is a bit of evidence towards the argument that she is trying so hard to please everyone else that she has maybe forgotten who she is. That bugs me a little bit too.

I think that I'll wait with my comments about Mary's personality until I have had a proper conversation with her! I can't judge her from photos only... Especially whem I know that for every picture I see of her a least ten other have been taken and erased by the papers...

As I work in an auctionshouse in Copenhagen I have met Frederik and Mary a couple of times and they seem quite nice to me. We use to make a whole v.i.p. show with drinks and food when we are expecting royality but Frederik and Mary always ask us not to notice their presence and just do our work as we use to.

But - as I said before - that does not mean that I know them and can judge them whether they are good persons, a good prince/princess or if they like the spotlight...

Last edited:
Jo of Palatine said:
In addition she has been the daughter of immigrants to Australia. While Australian and Scottish life do seem related when you watch it form the outside, I believe it is a cultural clash none-the-less between one of the most conservative parts of Europe and Australia. Growing up in an immigrant's household might be a source for insecurity as well. A Scottish dad in mourning who as a single parent raises a daughter in her teens is bound to be less relaxed and less free than the parents of other kids of the same age.

In what way is Scottish society "conservative"? Moreoverhow exactly is there a culture clash between the 2 countries?

SarahLindeau said:
I have to agree. The accent thing is a bit of evidence towards the argument that she is trying so hard to please everyone else that she has maybe forgotten who she is. That bugs me a little bit too.

Accents are a very difficult thing to get rid of and to forgive in someone else's mouth. She is trying very hard and maybe too hard.. but she has the example of her father-in-law who apparently still has a strong accent an is still blamed about it.

I of course like Fred and Mary very much. I think theirs is a very mature kind of love.

It puzzles me a little that Mary is criticised by some (a minority I believe - since there are a lot of posts but seems to be the same people saying it) that Mary loves the attention. Sure she dresses beautifully and wears nice things (but if she didn't we wouldn't like that either!), but in front of the crowds, it is to the people she gives her attention to right away, not the cameras. Also, if one looks at video clips etc, she's not one of your princesses who plants herself and poses for the looonnggest of time for the cameras! (some do - and it really irks me when they do it).

Re the accent. Accents are weird things. I think that its very often that the adopted country would say that you retain your old accent, whereas your old countrymen would say that you've adopted a new accent. For example some Australians would think that mary speaks English with a Danish lilt, and Danes would say that Mary still speaks Danish with an accent!! You just can't win :)

As an Aussie, the thing I love most about Mary is that she has always, without fail, recognised her Aussie roots (yyaaaay). Mary has not once denied she was an Aussie, that she worked in advertising etc. She is also, in a way, Scottish (since both her parents are from Scotland and she has British citizenship too), but she has never considered herself anything but an Aussie.

The strengthening of the links between Australia and Denmark, e.g. the Melbourne Tram being shown in Copenhagen, the Australian animals introduced into Copenhagen zoo (I think), the camera in Fed square Melbourne that allows people in Melbourne to say hi to people in Copenhagen, the increase in tourism and trade (otherwise unexplanable as it is not in line with increase in trade levels of Denmark's neighbouring countries), that she chose to race against in Frederik in Sydney harbour (to even it out, since they raced in Copenhagen before), that she is supporting Australian charities (Madeliene and Allanaha Foundation, Victor Chang Foundation etc), and introducing those charities to their Danish counterparts so they can collaborate (and even introducing some of the initiatives from those Ausie charities to Danish schools - as was the case with the anti-bullying program first developed by the Madeleine and Allanah foundation), I think has occured because of Mary's Aussie background. GOSH - I could go on and on!!!

And that goes for all foreign princesses IMO - Maxima etc. They have always recognised their roots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom