What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What bothers me with Frederick and Mary?

I'm bothered a bit by some things Mary said in the long interviews she gave when she was engaged to the prince (the translations can be found here in the forum).

She speaks of her belief that there is one ultimate love, that she found it in Frederick and that it was their destiny to meet. It's not wrong to feel that way and she tells very vividly how very slowly she came to start thinking like that. How much doubts were there in the beginning, how she tried to preserve a way out for her in case it didn't work out. Hm, after I read some of the postings here and in the thread about her before the engagement was annonced I could understand her pretty well. I mean, posting negative comments in a public forum is not very far from saying things like that to the person if she returned to an ordinary life and you meet her in the street... She obviously realized that and was afraid of the notoriety of an "ex-girlfriend" of a future king. OTOH her feelings for Frederick were there and they were returned. It must have been an awful time for her when she didn't know where her way would finally lead but knowing that the media already had burned her bridges.

I think she must be a great friend and person as she obviously managed to reach the people who knew her, to make them aware and believe what talking to the press would mean to her and make them keep silent. Even when a lot of money was being offered. For her, as she says, it was her only chance to keep a profile as low as possible and to preserve a slight chance to be able to back out if she so wanted.

I wondered about a lot of the commentaries here on the board from those early times. I wondered why nobody seemed to realize that marrying a prince is not a dream come true but forces you to cope with all kind of things you normally wouldn't be faced with. Mary has known very well that marrying Frederick would mean to condemn herself to the same sort of loneliness that Royals as well as celebrities live with. She has realized that there is a lot of glitter in it as well, of course and she was honest enough to say so. But - she was very aware that the prize to pay for that is a high one.

But - in the end, their love seemed worth it. She told in the interview how hard she works on readying herself for her new position. But she appeared to still be insecure and shy like she described herself, but working hard to fit in. I highly respect her for it.

What bothers me is the belief in "destiny" - I wonder if this belief won't turn into a problem once real difficulties erise? And they are bound to come, as they come in every relationship.

I so wish that when I'm old and grey and still exchanging hugs and kisses with my husband that I can still see pictures of Frederick and Mary hugging and kissing as well.

For Mary knew the odds very well and gave her love a chance. Maybe destiny willl be kind to her and let her say one day: it was all worth it.
I do hope so.

Laviollette said:
What she has done is overshadow everyone else's favorite princess. With her style, grace and pleasant personality there is just something about Mary. She has that spark, that something that you can't explain or put into words but you know it when you see it. She always seems to know what is appropriate at the right time and in the right place. The stylish clothes don't cover up the fact that she is intelligent and has strength of character. I didn't start out liking her but I've been won over by the way she carries herself. I respect her very much.

I certainly don't have a favourite princess so to suggest that I dislike Mary because she's overshadowed my favourite is very very far off the mark.

I'm not a fan of Mary because, from people I know who've met her, they described her as rude and abrupt.

As for the "spark" never seen it, she was a plain jane before her marriage and has certainly spruced up since but take away the clothes and make-up and she'd be excactly as she was before her marriage.

Little_star said:
I'm not a fan of Mary because, from people I know who've met her, they described her as rude and abrupt.
From similar hearsay, I have never heard or read her described as neither rude nor abrupt.
If she has been on one occasion, one cannot perhaps rule out the possibility that it was the people she met that brought about this reaction??

UserDane said:

From similar hearsay, I have never heard or read her described as neither rude nor abrupt.
If she has been on one occasion, one cannot perhaps rule out the possibility that it was the people she met that brought about this reaction??

5 different occasions?

Little_star said:
5 different occasions?
The same people? Makes sense :p
Still, she has attended quite a few things here in Denmark; I have still to hear her described as being rude or abrupt.

Little_star said:
As for the "spark" never seen it, she was a plain jane before her marriage and has certainly spruced up since but take away the clothes and make-up and she'd be excactly as she was before her marriage.

We are all naked and without make-up when we go to bed with our beloved. Obviously CP Frederick doesn't mind. Why do you?

UserDane said:

The same people? Makes sense :p
Still, she has attended quite a few things here in Denmark; I have still to hear her described as being rude or abrupt.

Little star or the people she "knows" could have made it up or exxagrated it. There are also people that will interpret everything Mary does as rude and abrupt no matter what. There is a lot of proof of that on the boards. Just imagine these biased people giving thier version of Mary's behavior if they ever meet up at one of Mary's official functions:) Who wants to turn up 5 times after having expierenced one bad one:confused: :)

Little_star said:

From the impression I got from her so far, Mary considers the people she "has" to talk to (apart from those she "wants" to talk to) as part of the prize she has to pay to be with the man she loves. She is not yet accepting that it's all part of the parcel but still allows herself to be - well, what? Bored? Or just Tired? Or just: Overwhelmed by the amount of people who want to meet her? sometimes. She is not yet the cold-hearted professional Royal actor. She has not had enough disappointments with people talking nicely into her face but quite differently behind her back, she has not yet been taken advandage of enough to change. IM - really Humble - opinion she is still trying to cope on using her brains but she finds out she is a human after all and the life she was thrown in is more like living in a cage within the zoo owned by tigers - be aware of who you allow entrance to your "secure" place.

Oh, I'm convinced one day you'll get the perfect, dignified and nice Royal lady you seek. Does it interest you how it came about? What kind of experiences are behind it?

fromEU said:
Little star or the people she "knows" could have made it up or exxagrated it. There are also people that will interpret everything Mary does as rude and abrupt no matter what. There is a lot of proof of that on the boards. Just imagine these biased people giving thier version of Mary's behavior if they ever meet up at one of Mary's official functions:) Who wants to turn up 5 times after having expierenced one bad one:confused: :)

Can I have it on recod that my family is accused of lying because they met Mary and didn't find her to be the paragon of virtue that some members describe her as.

Little_star said:
Can I have it on recod that my family is accused of lying because they met Mary and didn't find her to be the paragon of virtue that some members describe her as.

From the Mary-interviews:

"You will be critizised. There is much critizism. People judge you from a picture and from false information, and that's hard, because you can't defend youself. I am not able to going to say: "Okay, I will give an interview and make comments on all the stuff, you are writing about me". In the first place it isn't my nature to do so, and if it was, the press can print whatever they want anyway. So in that way you feel yourself somewhat defenseless. You cannot say: "This is actually false!".

In my opinion this is statement enough. Poor Princess Mary. I hope she gets used to it.

fromEU said:
Little star or the people she "knows" could have made it up or exxagrated it. There are also people that will interpret everything Mary does as rude and abrupt no matter what.

i think that's a "double file" weapon, as we call it in our language, for an explanation that has two views: some people may think everything mary does as rude and abrupt, but for some others everything she does and will do will be perfect and magnificent.

This line of discussion is over. Little_star and her relatives have the right to their opinions without being called liars, even if you don't agree with their opinions.

There are civil and polite ways of expressing one's opinions and of asking members what happened during encounters with Princess Mary other than resorting to name calling and innuendos.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Mandy
Danish Forum Moderator

Little_star said:
5 different occasions?

We have to remember she is human like us and therefore entitled to "bad" days if indeed she was rude as you say.;)

Jo of Palatine said:
From the Mary-interviews:

"You will be critizised. There is much critizism. People judge you from a picture and from false information, and that's hard, because you can't defend youself. I am not able to going to say: "Okay, I will give an interview and make comments on all the stuff, you are writing about me". In the first place it isn't my nature to do so, and if it was, the press can print whatever they want anyway. So in that way you feel yourself somewhat defenseless. You cannot say: "This is actually false!".

In my opinion this is statement enough. Poor Princess Mary. I hope she gets used to it.

i don't think if any royal gets critisized by the media he or she can be considered poor. they all knew that they would be facing a lot of public interest and because of the wants of the people to know more, they will try to find out information, that can turn out to be false, or, in the worst case, invent informations that are not correct. the fact of not being able to defend yourself is also part of it: you can expect an actress, a singer or a model to go public and say whatever they want, but this doesn't apply for a royal. they are supposed to be higher than that and to mantain dignity all the time. those two are part of the main drawbacks being a public figure, specially royalwise, but let's not forget the other many nice things being royal has, for which they cannot be considered "poor".

after all, if marrying a royal was as simple as not facing critisism, it would be the same as marrying to a wealthy family that works everyday to increase their business.

Little_star said:

I hope that you, oneday, are able to make your own decision based upon a personal experience/encounter with the Crown Princess, instead of those of others.

"MII" :)

Margrethe II said:
I hope that you, oneday, are able to make your own decision based upon a personal experience/encounter with the Crown Princess, instead of those of others.

"MII" :)

well, at least she is judging by something personal on someone who actually knows her. some people just judge the attitude of a person by looking at pictures, which in my opinion is far worse, and moslty talking about royals. most of my friends, when i ask them about royalty, say the same thing, and i think most of us said so before being royal watchers, that royalty is just a showcase, a shop window, but no one knows what's really going on, pure image.

I don't understand why there is so much animosity against Mary, but I feel that she portrays herself in a manner that makes people dislike her. I don't think she is better or worse. She just has a different personality. Just an opinion!

I wasn't being rude with my last post, not at all. Maybe if the person in question were to actually have the chance of meeting the Crown Princess, then she may (or may not) share a different view.

And, although "ls" relatives have met the Crown Princess on numerous ocassions, I don't think this warrants an actual relationship with the Crown Princess (re: 'knowing her' as was stated).

Kind regards to all

"MII"

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
I wasn't being rude with my last post, not at all. Maybe if the person in question were to actually have the chance of meeting the Crown Princess, then she may (or may not) share a different view.

And, although "ls" relatives have met the Crown Princess on numerous ocassions, I don't think this warrants an actual relationship with the Crown Princess (re: 'knowing her' as was stated).

Kind regards to all

"MII"

i know you weren't being rude. little star clearly said they they don't know her, they just saw her a few times in engagements. as i said, i dont think many people here know her as such, but if we don't know her, we all judge her from images, which isn't a good way of judging. she said the people she knows could talk with her for a bit, and they didn't leave with a good impression.

carlota said:
i know you weren't being rude. little star clearly said they they don't know her, they just saw her a few times in engagements. as i said, i dont think many people here know her as such, but if we don't know her, we all judge her from images, which isn't a good way of judging. she said the people she knows could talk with her for a bit, and they didn't leave with a good impression.

This I all understand, but I got the impression that you stated in your second last post that her relatives did infact know Mary...hence me response.

"MII"

This argument is getting messy, and I feel uncomfortable in bringing Little_star to the fore again. However, before we get tangled up in who said what, this is from the post in question:
Little_star said:
A simple enough statement, and certainly not one to warrant an outbreak of hostilities directed against the poster.
Now that's been set straight, an unsubtle reminder that the subject of this thread is Frederik and Mary, not individual Forum members.

thanks,
Warren
Danish Forums moderator

Frederick hasn't been doing a lot of official duties lately. Not more than Mary anyway who's still on maternity leave? Seems like he's taking a paternity leave....:D If he is, I think it's endearing. Many fathers (in general) should get to know/take hands-on care of their children more.

In my opinion the reason why Frederick and Mary are so popular is because I haven't really seen any royal couple more in love in public unless it's all just for show but Im having a hard time believing that and another thing is Mary totally reminds me Princess Diana they are both very pretty and have a mind for fashion the only difference they have is Princess Diana really cares for the people she travels around the world visiting Third World countries and esp. people with AIDS which was very important to her and I haven't heard Princess Mary doing any of that I mean I don't hate her for that I guess she's still new at this and she just had a baby Princess Diana was born an aristocrat and last thing they are really perfect for each other I just love them and support them all the way

I think she is going to hate the attention to Marie, if she ever becomes engaged. She will be furious to know she is not the "princess" any more. Don't take my comments so seriously.

Roxsteve said:
I think she is going to hate the attention to Marie, if she ever becomes engaged. She will be furious to know she is not the "princess" any more. Don't take my comments so seriously.
I wont take your comment serious:D Only insecure people have that thought:)

keira_jeanne said:
In my opinion the reason why Frederick and Mary are so popular is because I haven't really seen any royal couple more in love in public unless it's all just for show but Im having a hard time believing that and another thing is Mary totally reminds me Princess Diana they are both very pretty and have a mind for fashion the only difference they have is Princess Diana really cares for the people she travels around the world visiting Third World countries and esp. people with AIDS which was very important to her and I haven't heard Princess Mary doing any of that I mean I don't hate her for that I guess she's still new at this and she just had a baby Princess Diana was born an aristocrat and last thing they are really perfect for each other I just love them and support them all the way
Princess Mary is only 2 years old and she is from Denmark. Diana was from England and Marys media exposure will at best only reach 1/50 of Dianas media exposure, even Mary does 50 times better than Diana. So the comparison is rediclous.

Last edited:
keira_jeanne said:
Princess Diana really cares for the people she travels around the world visiting Third World countries and esp. people with AIDS which was very important to her and I haven't heard Princess Mary doing any of that I mean I don't hate her for that I guess she's still new at this and she just had a baby Princess Diana was born an aristocrat and last thing they are really perfect for each other I just love them and support them all the way

Diana didn't start going abroad on her own immediately after becoming a princess. No doubt, in time Mary will take trips on her own devoted to causes she believes in and supports, too.

Also, bear in mind that Mary faced certain challenges in becoming a princess that Diana did not, aside from being from an aristocratic background: Mary had to learn a completely different language -- a language that is pretty hard to learn, I might add.

I think the reason why Mary is popular with the press and others is that she really just enjoys being a princess. She loves the attention and the glamour that goes with it and I don't begrudge her it at all. Also, the Australian papers keep her profile high, so that helps as well.

Alexandria said:
Diana didn't start going abroad on her own immediately after becoming a princess. No doubt, in time Mary will take trips on her own devoted to causes she believes in and supports, too.

Also, bear in mind that Mary faced certain challenges in becoming a princess that Diana did not, aside from being from an aristocratic background: Mary had to learn a completely different language -- a language that is pretty hard to learn, I might add.

Yes, your right, Mary has learned many things since she has come to Denmark but remember there is alot more pressure on the BRF, as for the DRF, they are popular and firmly entrenched in the hearts of the Danish people.

Wow, this is one of the largest threads I've ever seen on TRF; and I wonder why:rolleyes: :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom