The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:54 AM
Aristocracy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
I have a question, why the danish couple is the only one to have a thread like this?
Good Question! I would like to ask it as well?

Old 01-31-2006, 04:58 AM
Heir Apparent

"Good Question! I would like to ask it as well? "

Maybe it's because, as I suggested before, there are alot of people who don't buy into all the hype about this Royal couple.
There's a similar thread in the Jordanian Royal Forum.

Old 01-31-2006, 05:06 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
and what do we see about Mary's charities?, zilch, zero, nada;
It is absolutely not correct that we see nothing of Mary's charities. Try looking up pictures from last August/September. There is at least one or two from each visit. There were pictures of her visit to a school for children with special needs where a blind boy pats her pregnant tummy; from the inauguration of a new cancer councelling centre at Vejle; from a visit to Thorvaldsen's museum in Copenhagen; from her visit to the Danish cultural institute in Latvia; her visit to the network group at Nørrebro which does voluntary work with refugees; her attendence at a press meeting for the Danish heart association - etc. etc. etc.
The fact that you and others may not have seen these pictures just supports what PrinceJohnny and others have already said: Fashion pictures sell and they sell a lot compared to most other events. At these events you may not only see Mary; last time you saw her ex-sister in law as well; Helena Christensen and whoever usually appear in Danish magazines and make them sell.

So naturally, the media will put extra focus on events that sell. It has IMO nothing to do with Mary and her priorities.

Can't help wondering if Mary had become patron of the Danish beer industry or a similarly important product (for the Danish economy). Would she be perceived as prone to drinking then? What I'm trying to say is that I just don't understand the underlying critisim of fashion as an object of patronage. It is an industry in the country and an important one at that.

Old 01-31-2006, 05:15 AM
Heir Apparent

"The fact that you and others may not have seen these pictures just supports what PrinceJohnny and others have already said: Fashion pictures sell and they sell a lot compared to most other events."

That is very true. So as that is the case, perhaps she should downplay her role with that particular patronage and be actively seen to be devoting more time to her other causes.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
"Good Question! I would like to ask it as well? "

Maybe it's because, as I suggested before, there are alot of people who don't buy into all the hype about this Royal couple.
There's a similar thread in the Jordanian Royal Forum.
In my opinion the press is the one that creates all the hype. They want a fairy tale, so they make it looks like that. The tabloids and the pink press in general. But that it is just one side of the coin, if the difficulties come, they will exploit them as much as possible.

The press also made Diana looks like the princess of a fairy tale and at the end it took advantage of anything that happened to her, which is disgraceful.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
I have a question, why the danish couple is the only one to have a thread like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy
This is an attempt to keep the discussion in the current event threads focussed on current events, rather than centered on Frederik’s and Mary’s qualities, traits and characteristics.
This discussion was taking over most threads in this forum - which made it nearly impossible to discuss their current events. The Danish forum moderators jointly decided that something had to be done. Rather than go on a mass-deletion for all the off-topic posts- we decided to let the members get it off their chests in a civil discussion.

So far, I've been very impressed with the discussion. I've learned a lot from it, and seen that members who disagree can be civil towards each other, and disagree without resorting to childish namecalling, and I don't think I'm the only one.

Why the other royals don't have threads like this? One was created for Diana, one was created recently for Abdullah and Rania... so I would say that they definitely have them. Why not all have them? I think these kind of threads are for royals who ignite strong feelings among the members, and where the discussion about being bothered by something takes over the rest of the threads in that particular forum. I know it was the case with the Diana-thread, and it was also the case with this one. Most of the time this kind of discussion can work out fine in ordinary threads - as is the case with most of the other royals.

This being said - let's get back on topic, shall we? Further discussion of why some threads exist can be done via PM to a moderator.

Thank you.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:42 AM
Aristocracy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane

It is absolutely not correct that we see nothing of Mary's charities. Try looking up pictures from last August/September. There is at least one or two from each visit. There were pictures of her visit to a school for children with special needs where a blind boy pats her pregnant tummy; from the inauguration of a new cancer councelling centre at Vejle; from a visit to Thorvaldsen's museum in Copenhagen; from her visit to the Danish cultural institute in Latvia; her visit to the network group at Nørrebro which does voluntary work with refugees; her attendence at a press meeting for the Danish heart association - etc. etc. etc.

The fact that you and others may not have seen these pictures just supports what PrinceJohnny and others have already said: Fashion pictures sell and they sell a lot compared to most other events. At these events you may not only see Mary; last time you saw her ex-sister in law as well; Helena Christensen and whoever usually appear in Danish magazines and make them sell.

So naturally, the media will put extra focus on events that sell. It has IMO nothing to do with Mary and her priorities.

Can't help wondering if Mary had become patron of the Danish beer industry or a similarly important product (for the Danish economy). Would she be perceived as prone to drinking then? What I'm trying to say is that I just don't understand the underlying critisim of fashion as an object of patronage. It is an industry in the country and an important one at that.

WOW.......GREAT POST........UserDane! I wouldn't agree with you more! :)

Amen
Old 01-31-2006, 05:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
So as that is the case, perhaps she should downplay her role with that particular patronage and be actively seen to be devoting more time to her other causes.
Of course not; she should go on doing her job and make an appearance to the important events - important for fashion as an industry in her country - and that will among other things be the upcoming CIFF. Just as she has done up till now.

To bow to people's misconceptions leads no way.

Old 01-31-2006, 05:52 AM
Heir Apparent

"Of course not; she should go on doing her job and make an appearance to the important events - important for fashion as an industry in her country - and that will among other things be the upcoming CIFF. Just as she has done up till now.

To bow to people's misconceptions leads no way. "

Well pople shouldn't really complain if Mary is criticised for being only a "fashion princess", as that seems to be her primary cause.

It's a tag she could easily lose if she was prepared to put in the extra effort and time.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Well pople shouldn't really complain if Mary is criticised for being only a "fashion princess", as that seems to be her primary cause.

It's a tag she could easily lose if she was prepared to put in the extra effort and time.
What 'seems to be' all depend on the eyes that are looking.

She has put effort and time into her causes. You seem to forget that she has had most of these patronages for about one year only during which time she has also had her child. There will be lots of more opportunities and lots of years to work with these patronages. Don't worry.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with you UserDane. The only reason why Mary might be associated with fashion alot is because fashion functions generate alot of press, it is as simple as that. A heart disease function or conference wont attract as much pictures and media coverage as a fashion show would. I believe she focuses on ALL her patronages equally but some of these patronages (fashion) will generate more press and pictures so it SEEMS like she is spending mosto f her time on fashion when in fact she isnt.

Its really quite simple :)
Old 01-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Heir Apparent

"She has put effort and time into her causes."
It's a matter of opinion, personally I think it's clear that certain patronages get alot more time and interest, so it would be best for her to redress the balance.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Out of Mary's 19 patronages - 2 are directly connected to fashion.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:21 AM
Heir Apparent

" Out of Mary's 19 patronages - 2 are directly connected to fashion."

But those are the only ones that most people know about, so it would seem that something needs to be done to change that situation. Efforts that would have to come from Mary herself and her PR people.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:25 AM
Aristocracy

Thumbs up

Quote:

What 'seems to be' all depend on the eyes that are looking.

She has put effort and time into her causes. You seem to forget that she has had most of these patronages for about one year only during which time she has also had her child. There will be lots of more opportunities and lots of years to work with these patronages. Don't worry.

Very well said! UserDane! You are a TRUE STAR! :)

Amen
Old 01-31-2006, 08:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
" Out of Mary's 19 patronages - 2 are directly connected to fashion."

But those are the only ones that most people know about, so it would seem that something needs to be done to change that situation. Efforts that would have to come from Mary herself and her PR people.
As i have said before, fashion will get more coverage than heart conferences for example. So it only SEEMS as if she is doing more fashion functions but it is not actually true. Some functions will get more media attention, which Mary cannot do anything about, and other patronages will not get the attention due to the nature of the patronage.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

"As i have said before, fashion will get more coverage than heart conferences for example. So it only SEEMS as if she is doing more fashion functions but it is not actually true. Some functions will get more media attention, which Mary cannot do anything about, and other patronages will not get the attention due to the nature of the patronage."

As I said before, as that is the case, she needs to do even more if she wants to highlight her other causes and be known as something other than just the "Fashion Princess".
Old 01-31-2006, 09:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
So, now it's Mary's problem if there are things about her that people do not know?
Why on earth should so-called PR people be involved in that? In the greater patronage context there is no need to promote Mary's profile. Mary is involved in the patronages to try to aid in the promotion of the patronages' profiles - not the other way around.
Her patronage of e.g. Rare Diseases is not to make you aware of the fact that she is a patron - but to use her name and position to create awareness of these diseases.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
angele[/B]]
I don't like how the Australian press is co-opting everything about the Danish royal family and calling it Australian... I think it is partially Mary's fault, Mary often adds an Australian element to her big occasions that are highly publicised ie she added flowers unique to Australia in her wedding arrangement..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Then to claim it is "partially Mary's fault" because she added a few gum leaves to her wedding bouquet... Just a tad overstated? Time for a bit of perspective I think before this discussion really gets ridiculous. :)
Warren, since the original sentence in Angele's post was mine I have to clarify that angele was the only one thinking it was Mary's fault...not me.

Mary did what Prince Henrik did before her. I've heard that guests at several Danish events have been generously served wines from his French estates. Also Queen Ingrid kept up close ties with Sweden. I remember a picture of Ingrid introducing young Frederik and Joachim to Swedish tennis star Bjorn Borg. I was so insanely jealous.

Its not so much what members of the Royal Family have done but how the press reacted. Henrik serves French wine at all the Danish events and the French and Danish press hardly registers a bleep. Ingrid visits her father and mingles with Swedish celebrities and the Swedes report it but as a matter of course. Mary has Australian flowers at her wedding and the Australian press goes ga-ga.

At a certain point I do think Mary will have to tone down her ties with Australia, not because there's anything inherently wrong with what she's doing but because of how the Australian press abuses the situation when she does show her ties to Australia.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:56 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

So, now it's Mary's problem if there are things about her that people do not know?
Why on earth should so-called PR people be involved in that? In the greater patronage context there is no need to promote Mary's profile. Mary is involved in the patronages to try to aid in the promotion of the patronages' profiles - not the other way around.
Her patronage of e.g. Rare Diseases is not to make you aware of the fact that she is a patron - but to use her name and position to create awareness of these diseases.

Actually, Little Star has a point. Mary is meant to raise awareness of these charities and if not many people have heard of them then the PR and promotion side of things need to improve. Otherwise, what in your opinion would be the point of having a royal patron? If awareness is not important, why not just ask the average Joe on the street to be patron?

UserDane, this thread is meant for people to share what they don't like about Fred and Mary and they can write based on their knowledge/opinion on them. You have the right to disagree, but it does not mean you have to systematically reject every thing that the posters don't like about Mary/Fred, and be on the defensive. Mary is a human being as well, so by nature she can not be perfect. If anyone is expecting her to be, then they are being unrealistic. But having criticisms does not mean they do not like Mary as a whole.

Closed Thread

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary