What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
....and I think that she only worries about the fashion and to dress fhasion...

Mary may work less than Letizia but she worked more than Mathilde, Mette-Marit and Maxima did during the first 1 1/2 years of their marriages. She is patron of 19 organisations.
PLUS: She is performing many of her duties on her own.

If you only see "fashion" then I guess it's your own fault because you don't inform yourself better.

It is believed that Mary is the hardest working Danish royal. It jsut seems like you are trying to stir up the same old boring debate about Mary and fashion, Lollila. If you got your information correct, you would see that Mary does do quite alot of work. She is certainly not slack in comparison with other European princesses. She also did many duties during her pregnancy and did not slow down until the due date of the birth.

The Crown Princesses of different countries do enough work to suit their particular country.

ricarda said:
Mary may work less than Letizia but she worked more than Mathilde, Mette-Marit and Maxima did during the first 1 1/2 years of their marriages. She is patron of 19 organisations.

PLUS: She is performing many of her duties on her own.

If you only see "fashion" then I guess it's your own fault because you don't inform yourself better.

Very well said. I totally agree with you. :)

Amen

I simply have said that Mary works little,not if more or less that Maximum, Mathilde etc but what if I see that it is evident she is that she works much less than Letizia and than she would have to worry about other things instead of going to so many parades fashionable. Yes I am inform.This is my opinion and I understand that you don´t like it.

Lollila, fashion parades get more coverage than other patronages. Of course fashion events will bring about more photos and press coverage as opposed to say a hear foundation for example.

I don´t agree with you, in Spain any acts of princes are covered by the journalists is as it is the type of act.

really? So are you saying that in Spain, if a royal attends a heart foundation or medical patronage, it will be covered by the press just as equally as a fashion show? And that a medical patronage will result in just as many photos and have the same media interest as a fashion show? By the way, welcome to the forums. :)

Last edited:
Lolilla222 said:
I simply have said that Mary works little,not if more or less that Maximum, Mathilde etc but what if I see that it is evident she is that she works much less than Letizia and than she would have to worry about other things instead of going to so many parades fashionable. Yes I am inform.This is my opinion and I understand that you don´t like it.
There is a difference between opinion and facts.
And I am sorry to say, you are misinformed.
I see you are a newbie, but that subject has already been discussed lengthily.
There is a thread called 'What bothers you about Fred and Mary' who was created specifically for this purpose. I suggest you post your griefs there (and also pay careful attention to other people posts, they are fantastic source of information) and let this thread be about Fred and Mary's current events.

Welcome by the way.

Thanks. Yes, in Spain the press covers all the acts with the real family of the same form sometimes the acts that are not formal are not publicados.You should to stare at the forum of the Spanish real family.

Well if what you say is correct, Spain must be the first country that I know of that is so equal with media coverage!

Anyway, thanks for those articles purple_platinum, its gret to se that mary and the family won't stop their duties during difficult times :)
Looking forward to the German trip

I have noticed that there is this competition or sniping going on between CP Mary's fans and the fans of CP Letizia. Let me just say that I adore both of them. The two of them are my favorite CPs. There is something about both of them that you have to look at them. Letizia may be more beautiful in a classical way but Mary is absolutely stunning and poised. She has redefined the look of a princess as more real. They are both captivating and that's why they get the most attention. :)

Laviollette said:
I have noticed that there is this competition or sniping going on between CP Mary's fans and the fans of CP Letizia. Let me just say that I adore both of them. The two of them are my favorite CPs. There is something about both of them that you have to look at them. Letizia may be more beautiful in a classical way but Mary is absolutely stunning and poised. She has redefined the look of a princess as more real. They are both captivating and that's why they get the most attention. :)
Thank you Laviolette. It has been a puzzle to many of us why we have this Letizia-Mary competition, as if anyone in the real world is constantly comparing the two.
People have their favourites of course, but how hard is it to like or respect both? What is there to actively dislike? Why do some choose to get so hot and bothered? :confused:

I agree Warren. I don't know why there is a competition between Letizia and Mary, and I dont think it exists outside these boards. Both women, Mary and Letizia, are wonderful Crown Princesses and they are obviously well loved in their respective countries.

Marrying the man you love and taking on the role of Crown Princess would be a most daunting task. Unless brimful of self-confidence, most people would be nervous, tentative, and self-conscious. Each Crown Princess has to come to terms with this in her own way; we can observe and comment, but I can't see the point of criticising. Learning curves are different. Simple as that.

OK, I have just deleted the last post.
This is not a comparison thread about who is overrated, who is ordinary and who is stunning.
Nor is the thread to be used to boost one's favourite by trashing another.

Sigh.

A bit of maturity please. We are not hosting a "best Crown Princess" slugfest. It is not a competition and there are no prizes.

thanks,
Warren
Royal Forums SuperModerator

Thank you Warren! Well said.

Not trying to cause a stir ( you can delete the post if it looks like that), but why is it that all the detractors of Mary in the end have to drag in the comparison from a certain crown princess to get their point across? And to top it all, certainly the discussion has to take a turn where the part "what bothers you about Frederick and Mary?" vanishes and instead it is all about "the great qualities of princess -----". It breaks the momentum and gets us at square one which is really annoying. Although this thread does generate certain negativism, it is interesting and some very good information has been given to us global readers from a danish perspective. So why is it so difficult for people to continue in this vein only?

capricorninin said:
Not trying to cause a stir ( you can delete the post if it looks like that), but why is it that all the detractors of Mary in the end have to drag in the comparison from a certain crown princess to get their point across? And to top it all, certainly the discussion has to take a turn where the part "what bothers you about Frederick and Mary?" vanishes and instead it is all about "the great qualities of princess -----". It breaks the momentum and gets us at square one which is really annoying. Although this thread does generate certain negativism, it is interesting and some very good information has been given to us global readers from a danish perspective. So why is it so difficult for people to continue in this vein only?

Very well said Capricorninin!!! If you dislike Mary, make a valid point, don't start comparing her to other princesses because every single one has their share of negative stuff and discussing it isn't the point of this particular thread!!!

Though Mary may well indeed be a nice girl , i think she is overrated.. She is pretty but plain.. very plain... nothing that makes me go "wow"... Princess Letizia is extremely beautiful , smart , and has a certain charisma about her.. she is truly a one of a kind.. :)

LadyangelEyes said:
Though Mary may well indeed be a nice girl , i think she is overrated.. She is pretty but plain.. very plain... nothing that makes me go "wow"... Princess Letizia is extremely beautiful , smart , and has a certain charisma about her.. she is truly a one of a kind.. :)
Yes, but why don't you go down to the the Letizia thread to post all the extremely excelent things she does and is!!!! Many of the people that read the Danish section don't care for Letizia. LadyangelEyes if you the next many months can provide LOTS of information and pictures of Letizia, you will sound trustworthy. It is nmot in the Mary thread that you can praise Letizia and that goes for other Letizia fans. Praise Letizia in Letizia's section of this forum:)

LadyangelEyes said:
The media's glorification of Mary shouldn't take away from the fact that she does a great job in her duites and representing Denmark as we've seen with her trip to Germany. I don't think her plain, girl-next-door prettiness is a handicap either. She is the best that she can be with what she has. That should be commended. Letizia is beautiful as she was lucky enough to be born with great genes. But she is also accomplished and carries out her duties for the SRF with grace, and that counts more than how beautiful she is. Also, remember that Spain and Denmark are different as are their RF's. Spain has 55 million people and there are only 5.4 million Danes. That should be taken into account when looking at what kind of events the CP's attend and how often.

fromEU said:
Yes, but why don't you go down to the the Letizia thread to post all the extremely excelent things she does and is!!!! Many of the people that read the Danish section don't care for Letizia. LadyangelEyes if you the next many months can provide LOTS of information and pictures of Letizia, you will sound trustworthy. It is nmot in the Mary thread that you can praise Letizia and that goes for other Letizia fans. Praise Letizia in Letizia's section of this forum:)
Don't you invite these kinds of comments when there is a thread called What bothers you about Frederik and Mary? Is this supposed to be a pro-Mary thread? Doesn't seem like it. :confused:

Laviollette said:
Don't you invite these kinds of comments when there is a thread called What bothers you about Frederik and Mary? Is this supposed to be a pro-Mary thread? Doesn't seem like it. :confused:

Sorry, but you are completely missing the point. The thread "what bothers you ........" is regarding why some users are unable to appreciate the good qualities in this couple. You are right that this is not a pro-Mary thread, but at the same time it is no way about coming up here and start singing praises about others and in the last dropping a line "...........So I don't like Mary."

By the way I am very tempted to start a thread "Why do fans of Letizia have so much insecurity about Mary?" after reading a lot of posts in this vein. But am not sure, should I or shouldn't I ?

Last edited:
Everyone please take a deep breath and relax. This thread is entitled "What bothers you about Mary and Frederik" and not what do you like about Letizia, Maxima, Mette-Marit and whoever else. If you wish to sing the praises of the other princesses, I suggest that you find the appropriate threads in their respective forums instead. This thread is not a comparison between Mary and the other princesses. Saying that one princess is plain while another is beautiful brings nothing substantial to the discussion as it only serves to antagonize members. Let's keep this thread moving along with courtesy and civility as it was before this last episode.

Mandy
Danish Forum Moderator

Last edited:
capricorninin said:
Sorry, but you are completely missing the point. The thread "what bothers you ........" is regarding why some users are unable to appreciate the good qualities in this couple. You are right that this is not a pro-Mary thread, but at the same time it is no way about coming up here and start singing praises about others and in the last dropping a line "...........So I don't like Mary."
I stand by comment. Users are invited to make comparisons and worse, disparaging remarks! :(

Laviollette said:
I stand by comment. Users are invited to make comparisons and worse, disparaging remarks! :(

But this thread is not meant for comparisons, the only reason in my opinion why certain posters do nothing on this board but make comparisons between CP Letizia and Mary is maybe because they are a little insecure over the "competition". Whatever that may be.

princess olga said:
You know what I seriously don't understand about that? How come they are so, so very popular?! Is it because all the star-struck Aussie readers of Hello are voting as if their lives depended on it?

Seriously, when I think about what I know about Frederik as a person, it really is not much.

1. Is he smart? Dunno. The one interview with him I read had only one interesting thing to say, which was that he as a child felt distant from his parents. But that was it. Not someone with an interesting vision, imho.

2. Is he good looking? Mwah. He's ok looking but certainly not better looking than the other princes in the poll, Haakon and Felipe of Spain.

3. Mary.
Is she prettier, smarter, nicer or otherwise more special than, say, Letizia of Spain or Maxima of the Netherlands? What are Mary's redeeming qualities? She's not artistic and eccentric like Margarethe, she's not of the exotic beauty of her ex sister in law. Heck, she doesn't even work as hard (ok, not yet) as Alexandra.

I know liking someone (especially having only the media as a source) is in the eye of the beholder, but come on, what on the planet is just so special about this prettyfied girl-next-door over an obivously smart girl like Letizia, or an obviously gregarious and social girl like Maxima?

Why oh why, is really my question, is Mary so lionized? I'm mystified... I take it I must have some perhaps obvious blind spot when it comes to this, in my view, average-on-all-fronts couple.

The only reason I see for liking her is, weirdly, her father: he seems to be a down to earth kind of guy, a bit no nonsense. Maybe she is like him and is down to earth and that's what people like about her?
This is proof right here, Australian, that this thread is exactly about comparisons and unflattering remarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom