The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 03:19 AM
Commoner

Not every Australian likes mary!!! There are the few who like her and there are other few who dislike her. She is pretty boring and artificial to be a real OZ!

Old 01-29-2006, 07:54 AM
Majesty

after reading all the comments i think we can all agree on something: we need time to judge mary. it's a little bit too soon to know how she is doing as a princess, for the ones who say she is doing perfectly and for thoe who said they don't like how she is dealing with being princess. only time will tell. grand queens and princesses are known along history, as they made a difference, isabel of castilla and aragon, queen of the bigest empire along history, empress sissi of austria or lady di. it's in mary's hands to make a difference and i guess if she does we will see it some time soon.

i also agree with ysbel and alexandria that the press is giving an obsessive and strange image of her, that none of the princesses in other houses had when they married.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 01-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Nobility

I'm not really sure what to make of them. it's odd. I can't really decide where I stand on this one
Old 01-29-2006, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australis
Not every Australian likes mary!!! There are the few who like her and there are other few who dislike her. She is pretty boring and artificial to be a real OZ!
I'd be interested in hearing more about this -- how the Australian public feels about Mary. I suppose that what I've read has been about Australia/Mary has soley been on royal message boards and 99% of what I've read has given me the impression that the whole of Australia loves and supports Mary in her new role, and that she is Australia's daughter.

I realize that what I've read is partial -- both from those articles chosen to be posted at royal forums and that I've read only a small portion of the Australian media, and that those media sources are all pro-Mary just as news sources in other countries are pro-monarchy and others are not.

I think that if others saw some more rounded views of Mary from Australia, it might change the minds of some that think Mary has been made too perfect by the press -- that there exist more objective views of Mary, and therefore that she is human like all of us.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I think that if others saw some more rounded views of Mary from Australia, it might change the minds of some that think Mary has been made too perfect by the press -- that there exist more objective views of Mary, and therefore that she is human like all of us.
The Australian media is overwhelmingly positive. Not all are as gushing as the weekly magazines of course, but still you would be hard-pressed to find negative stories. Earlier on the magazines tried the Mary vs Alexandra line, but soon dropped it, and more recently there was something about Mary vs Queen Margrethe, but that went nowhere.
As to a more objective view... you'd probably have as much success as finding an objective view of the Queen Mother. :)

From this distance we seem to be interested in domestic details... Mary and Frederik, Mary and Christian, what she's wearing, how she's going. I don't think too many people would be interested in a debate about "has Mary done too many interviews?" or "was appearing in Vogue a mistake?" The Denton interview was one of the most-watched TV shows of last year, and the Vogue issue one of that magazine's biggest sellers. The two major weekly magazines both had Christening Specials.

Everyone loves a romance, a 'fairytale', palaces, jewels, a wedding, a baby... and when it comes to one of ours, Mary has it sewn up. The tide may well turn, but not yet.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:24 PM
Nobility

I always find it interesting when people talk about Prince Christian having Australian blood in him. Mary's parents are Scottish and Mary herself is a first generation Australian. I also find it intersting that Christian indeed has more Scottish blood than Danish blood in him.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:30 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aotearoagal
Also, Hong Kong is not a place with a royalist culture, is it? Would anyone much in Hong Kong think about royals? I reckon they're too busy getting on with now being part of the People's Republic of China and getting ready to take over the world economically.
Interesting point, Aoteraroagal so I did some research. Hong Kong does seem interested in Alexandra. Her divorce was front page news in Hong Kong as well as Denmark. Mostly the press she receives highlights the diplomatic trips and events she makes in connection with Southest Asia. Like the Australian coverage of Mary it highlights Alexandra's connection to Southeast Asia but in a more formal and respectful manner. Other than saying she is Hong Kong-born they don't make a big deal out of where she came from. They make a big deal of what she's doing and since her missions involve children they ask her about her children.

Here I think the difference is not so much that Mary is married to the heir of the throne as it is the differences between the Australian and Hong Kong media. The Hong Kong media seem more polite and restrained overall while the Australian media is more extrovert and exuberant. Now that I think of it, that described the differences between the Hong Kong and Australian girls I went to the university with. The Hong Kong girls were a lot more demure and the Australians were more peppy. Sure, you'll find peppy and vivacious Hong Kong girls and shy Australians but overall I think the tone of the media may reflect differences in the culture.

That still doesn't explain why the Argentinians aren't going crazy over Maxima. The Argentines are a very passionate nation and there is some interest in Maxima but it doesn't seem a lot, at least from what I can find.

Oddly enough, I think that Mary may be one of those shy Australians - or if not shy, at least reserved - but her press coverage is not. There are a lot of contradictions around Mary but I don't think they are contradictions within Mary herself. She projects a rather consistent image. Rather I see it as a contradiction between Mary herself and her press coverage and also between Mary the person and her role as princess.

It makes her very interesting to watch because I want to see what she makes of all of it.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
That still doesn't explain why the Argentinians aren't going crazy over Maxima. The Argentines are a very passionate nation and there is some interest in Maxima but it doesn't seem a lot, at least from what I can find.
We might have less Argentinians here to share these things with us :) + most of us can not read spanish, so the argentinian articles are not as widespread as the australian ones on this board, maybe. I have seen several pictures of Maxima and her family almost haunted by paparazzi in Buenos Aires. In fact, that is the reason Maxima didn't visit Argentina for quite a while.

But in all those years, untill her last visit Maxima never ever gave an interview to the argentinian press (and only one personal interview to the dutch public station, with her future husband before her marriage). The two interviews to newspapers she did give were in December and about Microcredit only. As we can see in a thread of this visit there were a lot of people cheering Maxima during these visits and they were veru enthausiastic to (on television anyway).

A reason which might be a factor in this can also be that Maxima was regarded as a member of the establishment, and not 'one of us', as her father was a minister and the difference between poor and rich in Argentina is bigger then in Australia. But after her last visit I believe the press made some comparisations with Evita already. I suppose she will get a lot of Argentinian attention when she joins the Queen for a state visit to Argentina in March.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Courtier
Picture of the Month Representative - The Netherlands

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdas1201
February 9, 2006: The Crown Princess will preside over the Copenhagen International Fashion Fair at the Bella Center.
Again a fashion fair?

I think Mary is a great princess and i like her very much, but i wonder when she'll start "doing something for Denmark", helping people, i dont know...just like other crwonprincesses: Mathilde, Màxima and Victoria(they dont spend the hole day going to fashion fairs:( )
Old 01-30-2006, 12:34 AM
Royal Highness

I think a princess promoting fashion has a stigma attatched to it. Why is it bad? Fashion helps the economic cycle go around. Maybe those designers need Mary's support otherwise they would be no-name designers going nowhere. BTW, she just had a baby and is probably very tired. If she did something that other people call more "worthy" she might not be able to give them 100%. Yes, I would like Mary to do other things than fashion but to compare her to Crown princess Victoria (who I love) is like comparing apples to oranges. Victoria has no husband or child and is younger than Mary which might enable her to do other sorts of official duties.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
I think a princess promoting fashion has a stigma attatched to it. Why is it bad? Fashion helps the economic cycle go around. Maybe those designers need Mary's support otherwise they would be no-name designers going nowhere. BTW, she just had a baby and is probably very tired. If she did something that other people call more "worthy" she might not be able to give them 100%. Yes, I would like Mary to do other things than fashion but to compare her to Crown princess Victoria (who I love) is like comparing apples to oranges. Victoria has no husband or child and is younger than Mary which might enable her to do other sorts of official duties.
of course there is nothing wrong with her supporting her country's fashion. that is a very appropriate thing for her to do. but-whether rightly or wrongly-an impression has been created that she focuses more on fashion than on her "high fiber" patronages like mental health.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:10 AM
Royal Highness

An impression has been cast on Mary that she focuses primarily on fashion than other patronages such as mental health which is unfortunate. She may be working very hard for those other patronages in her office and doesn't need to make photo appearance at these places and waste their time. Sitting by a runway is probably easier for her to promote fashion than working in her office (for fashion).
Old 01-30-2006, 01:30 AM
Aristocracy

It is her job to attend these fashion events as she is a patron to CIFF. So if she doesn't attend these fashion events, she is not doing her job.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:40 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Maxima
Again a fashion fair?
As Tiff Tiff Tiff2000 says this is the CIFF (Copenhagen International Fashion Fair - see http://www.ciff.dk/english/exhibitors/about+ciff). This is said to be one of the largest Northern European fashion fairs and since the industry has a patron in Denmark this is definitely the event for the patron to make an appearance at.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:51 AM
Commoner

I think Australia has a tendency to sentimentalise Australians who are overseas and to encourage those expat Australians to feel sentimental about their homeland. Hong Kong is more pragmatic!
Mary fits right into this, with much of the press coverage being of the "mary makes us proud" tone. Also her inclination to honour her heritage by Australian flowers, wine etc.
I think we hear much more about Mary visiting fashion events because there are good photos to go with it. She has sought out less fashionable but desperately important causes such as mental health and I fully expect her to continue to serve these causes.
(my first post here and it is nice to see names I recognise from other boards!)
Old 01-30-2006, 05:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Welcome, Jane1.

I agree with you on the press coverage of the fashion fairs. There are, presumably, more photographers at CIFF as they're there to record the fashions, in addition to Mary, than would be at a Mental Health Event.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Heir Apparent

"To even have a thread entitled "What bothers you about Mary and Fred" is so leading and it is just starting the negativity"

I don't think it's a leading title. There are plenty of people who don't buy into all the hype surrounding this couple, so it's only fair that there be 1 thread where they can express their views.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Nobility

Mental health isn't a nice photo oppertunity, fashion shows are. Photographers are going to take the pictures that sell for example Mary looking stylish at fashion shows. Mary meeting a person with a mental disease is not "sexy" and does not sell. Very simple.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
"To even have a thread entitled "What bothers you about Mary and Fred" is so leading and it is just starting the negativity"

I don't think it's a leading title. There are plenty of people who don't buy into all the hype surrounding this couple, so it's only fair that there be 1 thread where they can express their views.
Only one thread? no, a handful of people express their views regarding how they dont buy into this couple everywhere on this board- which they have every right to . Its not like this is the first thread.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
of course there is nothing wrong with her supporting her country's fashion. that is a very appropriate thing for her to do. but-whether rightly or wrongly-an impression has been created that she focuses more on fashion than on her "high fiber" patronages like mental health.
Agreed, and as Christo's girl more or less pointed out, because these visits attract so much attention, her other causes do not. So a re-focus might be handy, if it bothers her/the court (if not, and this is the image she and the court want the crownprincess to have + the main cause they want to highlight, they should continue on this path).

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary