What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harmony said:
Jamerican said:
Okay! What is the difference between her interview and Alex's? What style Alex has that gained your favour and what style Mary's has that you said it was insincere ? My first impression when I heard Alex's speak made me switch off the video link. Yes she sounded so professional and business like those in Wall street on everyday TV.

You've just proved my point regarding opinions and preferences, Harmony!

I prefered Alexandra's style at the beginning because it was polished, confident and professional, yet there was a warmth to her. In her interview, I felt that she wasn't trying to hard. I didn't feel the same way about Mary's interview. Now, I am aware that they are two different people. I wouldn't say Mette-Marit is the most polished, professional or educated Crown Princess I have seen, but there is something very real about her. I'll leave it at that, as I don't think the moderators would appreciate a cross-royalty crown princess comparison match. :D

Jamerican said:
I guess you want to know what I mean by my response to your post.

What I mean is people judge public people according to the persona they present. Also, people are going to interpret the same behaviour differently. That's basically what I mean. Also, most people are going to say 'if it were me.. I would do this or that differently.' Please don't tell me you have never done this in your entire life. Everybody has. That is what I mean by the human condition.

These are people who will live their lives in the public arena. It is a given that most of us will never know what it is to be like to be Royal. In a way, Letitia, Mary, Mette-Marit et all are pioneers, as we have never had so many commoners entering royalty at any given time. As I assume most of us are commoners, and as royalty watchers, we have all wondered what it would be like to have your life transformed in such a manner overnight. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.. do you?

No I don't :) and that is exactly what I meant by my post. And I have wondered if I would have done things differently...and in that respect I am sure (although not positive as I don't know them) these Royal wives sometimes think that should have done things differently as well. I think we (if I may speak for you :)) are thinking along the same lines.

I prefered Alexandra's style at the beginning because it was polished, confident and professional, yet there was a warmth to her. In her interview, I felt that she wasn't trying to hard. I didn't feel the same way about Mary's interview

Funny I felt Alex's style was cold and calculated and so business like which I can watch everyday on the Wall street on TV. Nothing special. But I felt Mary's is warm , sincere and without pretense and not afraid to make mistake or even to show her emotions.
And as you pointed out everyone has their own preferences.:)

Last edited:
Zonk1189 said:
No I don't :) and that is exactly what I meant by my post. And I have wondered if I would have done things differently...and in that respect I am sure (although not positive as I don't know them) these Royal wives sometimes think that should have done things differently as well. I think we (if I may speak for you :)) are thinking along the same lines.

Cool.:)

As I have said before, I don't think I would do well in that role, so I wish them all good luck. I'm sure we will see in about ten years time if this experiment has worked.

Yes it will be interesting.

Jamerican said:
I don't think it would be inaccurate to say that not all 5,500,000 Danes have all met Mary and can personally vouch for her character. If the majority of the Danish people like her, then that is great, as she is their future Queen. I think people need to keep some perspective though. This is a Royalty fan site. It does not reflect the majority of the world population, whether in Denmark, or abroad. As such, people are going to share their opinions, and while I think that hearing opinions of the people who live in Denmark is wonderful, The fact is the majority of the people here know (and care) about royalty far more than the average person. Therefore, in my opinion, as long as people are respectful, and can present their arguments in an intelligent manner, then I think their opinions are valid.

I totally agree. This forum is kept alive by people who have a greater then average interest in royalty, who follow royalty much closer then “normal”, and therefore often have more, and maybe stronger, opinions about the royals. The point I have tried to bring up is not that Danish opinions about the Danish royals are more valid then other people’s (And I’m definitely not claiming that You are saying that Jamerican – I agree with you) - But that it is good to remember that forum-context – Danish-context are two different things. How members of the board perceive and opinion about the different royals is in MY opinion interesting, whether I agree with them or not. It says a lot about not only the royals, but also about what different people from different places “see”, what they react to or respond to, like or dislike. And disliking something or someone – like Mary – doesn’t mean one is a negative person who would “judge” people they met in real life in the same way. It is “the image of Mary as we know her on this board” that we are discussing – not the “real Mary” that we don’t know.

I’m sure this is the first thing “celebrities” learn – that the things they read about themselves are not about “them” but about “the image of them”. I think it would be helpful if people here, who feel very defensive about Mary, remember this – we don’t need to take critic of Mary personally on her behalf. It is totally valid for someone to dislike her, for whatever reason, and even for no reason. And we can actually all learn something interesting if we aren’t only focused on defending. On the other hand, when the people who dislike (or like) Mary have “real life advise” for her – that she definitely needs to do so and so, change this and this – I think it is good to remember that the context she operates in isn’t the forum context, but the Danish context. So while it doesn’t necessarily make sense to say that she would be doing a better job if she changed this and that, it makes perfect sense to say that one personally would like it better or find it more correct or whatever – if she changed this or that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said, Scout. In the real world, she is now a Dane, and therefore who well she fits in with the Danes is of the utmost importance; after all, she is obviously getting guidance from the Danish court, not necessarily the internet forums. :)

It must have been a surreal experience for Mary- being just a commoner one day, then being thrust into the Royal stratosphere the next. It must have been difficult learing a new language and culture as well. You know nothing about the Danes, their culture, language, etc, and now you have to be their representative? This is why I cut her some slack.

I do think the motivation behind an opinion is important though. A critique driven by hate or jelousy speaks more about the person making that critique, than of the person being critiqued.

Last edited:
Jamerican said:
I do think the motivation behind an opinion is important though. A critique driven by hate or jelousy speaks more about the person making that critique, than of the person being critiqued.

very very true.

It probably does - but it can be hard to determine the motivation behind other posts. Sometimes what sounds like hate or jealousy can be a reaction to a sudden overload of Mary-sugar, or an unfair comparison between Mary and another princess. I know I easily can feel the need to balance something I find extreme - in either direction. If it is done in the spur of the moment, it can sound harsh, and if others react strongly to it, it just keeps going.

Truly amazing how long this thread has become!

scout said:
And disliking something or someone – like Mary – doesn’t mean one is a negative person who would “judge” people they met in real life in the same way.

Absolutely. My view of Mary assumed the best when I first learned of her and I was very impressed and admiring of her. Her MO and demeanour sadly have pegged back that admiration quite a bit. Rather than seeing her as a person of inner beauty and substance, like Alexandra, I'm finding that the positives I feel about Mary are more about things like the way she looks (amazing) rather than what she does (very little that's admirable). These days, I see Alexandra as intellectually bright and engaged with the world, and Mary as shrewd and insular.

Aotearoagal

As for the interviews that Alexandra and Mary both gave early on in their marriages; I liked them both. Both princesses have distinct styles that make them, them! Alex's business style told us a lot about her and how she sees her future role. Mary's interview was not as "professional" (I don't know how else to say it) but I don't think that really mattered. As for her trying too hard in her interview; I would too if I was being interviewed by someone who was letting the whole country know who I was. I would be myself but also try and do the interview well. It's all about style. I'm glad both have distinct styles and are different because it makes them interesting. If both were like one another, that wouldn't be as fun. Mary and Alexandra both have intricate webs to weave to convince people of their genuity; whether both of them are or not. Who knows? Maybe both Alex and Mary are very mean but we just don't know it. Back to Mary and Frederick: I like Mary and Frederick but I'm not so wrapped up that I can't point out a fault if needed.

So, how many interviews has princess Mary actually given, on television and in magazines, and to which magazines on what topics? Because I get the impression that the interviews were mainly about 'Mary', and not about her causes. I realise that this impression can also be created because sadly most of us (me to) are most interested in comments royals make about themselves and not about the causes they support (who here knows even 2 things princess Maxima said on microfinance for example?), so that is what gets quoted by us, while the other part of the interview might be forgotten.

There was the NINKA book (Parts of it was as anarticle in the paper Politikken) which was abut Mary and her and Frederiks story

The DR documentary about her

Then there was a small interview on globalisation, it was very short just a page or so and very little content IMHO

She and Frederik together gave a short interview on sports and the importance of physical activities

Then there was Vogue, which was about Mary, her story/life and fashion

DANSK about Design

There was on TV in Austrailia the interview with Andrew Denton, I have not seen it so I cant say what it is about.

I also belive there was an interview with a Tasmanian paper just before their trip, Im really not sure about that one. There were some pictures of Frederik and her in a black top?

Then there was Austrailian Womans Weekly, I dont know if that was accually an interview or if that was just put together from other things she said other places, maybe someone who read it can confirm

I am not sure if this is the case..but I remember awhile back US Glamour magazine had Catherine Zeta Jones on the cover and what appeared to be an interview. Turns out they didn't actually interview her..they used snippets of previous conversations and wrote an article. It wasn't until it was discussed in USA Today that I was aware that Glamour actually didn't interview her.

My point is this....in regards to actual interview thats royals (in this case Mary) actually sit for...how do we know for sure that they actually sat down with her and asked her a series of questions.

Does that make sense?

Official documentaries and interviews (really did interview her)

*NINKA book

*The DR documentary about her

*Denton Interview (filmed at the palace Jan/Feb 15 prior to Australian tour). Mostly about life as a Princess/ newly married. It's a "fluff piece"

* Greenland NU interview:
lots of cute pics of the newlywed Princes cuddling huky pups. Appears to be a face-to-face interview

*Dansk Magazine photoshoot promoting Danish Fashion Industry

*small interview on globalisation,

*short interview on sports and the importance of physical activities for Health week before her gallstone OP

*Australian Vogue right before she was made patron of Danish fashion

*Austrailian Womans Weekly probably was an "official interview" as it contained previously unreleased pics by Steen Evald at the palace. I get the idea that it may have been a phone interview though rather than an interview in Danmark like Denton did. WW is conservative an royalist, it has previously printed replies by Per Thornit so is about the only Woman's Mag in Australia they are likely to be interviewed by.

*Tara Brown's dreadfull "matchrace interview" prior to the wedding for Australia's sixty minutes.
Was face-to-face but after nosy questions on "pillow talk" 60 minutes are unlikely to ever get an interview again.
No wonder Denton/ABC got the job for the Australia tour.

May Not Have Been an Interview:
*Syndicated newspapers Australia (multi papers across Australia)
had interviews prior to the tour. Most of the shots look like they were reworking of Steen Evald's work for Woman's Weekly and other pre-published shots. If there was an interview it would have been ONE to one journalist. Syndicated hold many newspapers so re-wording and editing gives the impression that there was a lot of Newspapers getting interviews here. If there was an interview I expect it was by phone since I didn't see any sign of original photos but I wouldn't be suprised they all simply re-worked existing interviews eg Ninka

Last edited:
There was on TV in Austrailia the interview with Andrew Denton said:
It was fairly lightweight. Denton said he wished he hadn't done it, because it was less interesting than his usual interviews, and also said some months later that he got the impression that Mary would 'soon be running Denmark'!

Aotearoagal

Aotearoagal said:
Rather than seeing her as a person of inner beauty and substance, like Alexandra, I'm finding that the positives I feel about Mary are more about things like the way she looks (amazing) rather than what she does (very little that's admirable). These days, I see Alexandra as intellectually bright and engaged with the world, and Mary as shrewd and insular.

Aotearoagal

I remember reading some where that Alex did not not start doing charity work until much later comparatively to Mary. If you want to compare -Alex has 11 years and Mary just finished 1 year 8 months.:)
I think the charity work done by Mary within these twenty months are impressive. It is only fair that we should say what ever Mary could do at this stage is already done -more than what is expected. Give her few more years and I can see her involvement in more international and world issues eg WHO . She is representative for Europe office. And don't forget Alex's become a mother only 5 years later so she has much time on charity work whereas Mary becomes a mother within 2 years of marriage. I am sure there will be balancing between her work and her duty as a mother in future. For me the importance is balance- work and family- not neglecting family for the sake of work. :)

Last edited:
what bothers me about mary

Harmony said:
I remember reading some where that Alex did not not start doing charity work until much later comparatively to Mary. If you want to compare -Alex has 11 years and Mary just finished 1 year 8 months.:)
I think the charity work done by Mary within these twenty months are impressive. It is only fair that we should say what ever Mary could do at this stage is already done -more than what is expected. Give her few more years and I can see her involvement in more international and world issues eg WHO . She is representative for Europe office. And don't forget Alex's become a mother only 5 years later so she has much time on charity work whereas Mary becomes a mother within 2 years of marriage. I am sure there will be balancing between her work and her duty as a mother in future. For me the importance is balance- work and family- not neglecting family for the sake of work. :)
well, my answer would be that mary seems to overshadow her husband. my comment would be because she married the heir to the throne of Denmark and thus she should provide an heir for the heir. as in the case of Alex becoming a mother after 5 years well, she marrie the 2nd in line to the throne so i think that's not a pressure for alex being married to joachim. for mary she should deliver an heir bec its a MUST! i also would like to comment on this forum bec i think alex's style is a businesslike woman while mary is a girl next door type of woman. that's the reason why alex acts like that because she's like letizia. they are on the same field or imo they do have the same style unlike mary she seems to remove the spotlight to her husband! she's popular bec she has 2 countries rooting for her. imagione australia rooting for their own princess. australia is such a huge nation compared to other home countries of CP and i can see the enormous popularity of F&M to australia bec aussies are fed up of their monarch imagine a 50+ prince being the next ruler o their country. i myself don't approve that.. maybe tha's the reason why mary is more popular than the other CPss. if you would ask me mary would be at the bottom list of my favorite CP. she's not natural. i understand that she tries hard to fit in but nonetheless just act naturally like maxima and letizia. some people don't like letiozia bec of her character well thats the way she is.. she's a journalist and shes straightforward. You don't have to change just to please your whole country same thing with mary she doesn't have to change just to please the whole of denmark. im sure denmark would like the REAL mary.. i mean you don't have to change your personality just to please anybody... even if your the next Queen. except for the case of mette marit bec that's different she does need to hange.. this is just my opinion...

I heard that it was not a matter of choice for Alex for being a mother only after 5 years -to put it in a nicer way. :)
Analytically, why would anyone put off children for so long - 5 years at the age of 30 years when the ovaries are ticking away heir or no heir. Career first ? Yes ...maybe for the first two years. Just my opinion.

The question of natural and not natural is depending on the situation of the environment. I believe all commoners have to undergo that when they married into Royalty. Letizia, Mary, Alex, Maxima, Mette Marit have sort of princess training course. In fact in DRF Per Thornit is the one that trained Alex and Mary. In official functions you can see the Princesses regal and poise, some quite uncomfortable in their new role which is natural and normal . But when come to unofficial functions you can see the differences, their happy carefree unguarded natural selves. There are many photos that support these findings. :)

Last edited:
madeleine victoria said:
except for the case of mette marit bec that's different she does need to hange.. this is just my opinion...

I understand what you are saying about being yourself and not having to change yourself to please other people. It's the principle being true and genuine. But I don't understand the Mette-Marit comment. Shouldn't she not have to change herself and her character to please other people? If you believe in a principle, it should apply to everyone. Her past experiences and having Marius have made her who she is and probably for the better. She's learned from the past but that does not mean she should change her character. Mary may have changed but she came from a very far away country. I really do hate doing this (Mary and Letizia comparison) but Letizia, as much as I admire/like her, did not come from a foreign country. She was already pretty well known in Spain so her straightforwardness was just a part of her that people probably already knew. She worked in journalism where you have to be quick and straightforward. Mary, however, had to adapt to a completely different country which might have had serious effects on her. Her character could have been changed through that from being removed from family and friends and familiar surroundings. As for Maxima (she seems to be a very beautiful princess), I do not follow her that closely, but if she manages to seem "real" then props to her! I know she is from Argentina so maybe she herself had an easier time adjusting to her adopted country. I agree Mary should stay true to herself but it may be harder than it sounds, especially when they're are outside pressures telling her what to do and what not to do.

Aotearoagal said:
It was fairly lightweight. Denton said he wished he hadn't done it, because it was less interesting than his usual interviews, and also said some months later that he got the impression that Mary would 'soon be running Denmark'! Aotearoagal
That's strange, because there was a profile on Andrew Denton in the Sydney Morning Herald in December where he said what an "honour" and pleasure it was to interview Mary and Frederik. He would also have been pleased because it was his highest-rating program, and one of ABC TV's highest rating programs of 2005.

Warren said:
That's strange, because there was a profile on Andrew Denton in the Sydney Morning Herald in December where he said what an "honour" and pleasure it was to interview Mary and Frederik. He would also have been pleased because it was his highest-rating program, and one of ABC TV's highest rating programs of 2005.

Yes i seem to recall this. There is no way that he would have wished he didnt do this interview as it was one of his major highlights for his show.

I thought the Andrew Denton interview was really good. Not only is he an excellent interviewer but the subjects of the interview were, of course, highly interesting. Maybe it wasn't his favourite interview because he wasn't able to probe as deeply as he wanted to. He usually has a good knack for getting information out of people but probably wasn't able to exploit skill this as effectively.

I think why people are making a big deal out of these photo shots by Mary was that she was not promoting the danish fashion industy because she did not wear much danish designer's clothes in the photo shots (i remember reading this somewhere...dun really remember since it's a long time) i believe the clothes are from prada, or chanel or some other international fashion companies....

As for the interviews...I think that it's perfectly fine to do interview as a crown princess/princess of denmark...It allows ur people to know you better, but what I think is that the interview should be done in Danish other than the first interview (the one b4 the marriage was done in english) since it's ur adopted country now....

soCal girl said:
I understand what you are saying about being yourself and not having to change yourself to please other people. It's the principle being true and genuine. But I don't understand the Mette-Marit comment. Shouldn't she not have to change herself and her character to please other people? If you believe in a principle, it should apply to everyone. Her past experiences and having Marius have made her who she is and probably for the better. She's learned from the past but that does not mean she should change her character. Mary may have changed but she came from a very far away country. I really do hate doing this (Mary and Letizia comparison) but Letizia, as much as I admire/like her, did not come from a foreign country. She was already pretty well known in Spain so her straightforwardness was just a part of her that people probably already knew. She worked in journalism where you have to be quick and straightforward. Mary, however, had to adapt to a completely different country which might have had serious effects on her. Her character could have been changed through that from being removed from family and friends and familiar surroundings. As for Maxima (she seems to be a very beautiful princess), I do not follow her that closely, but if she manages to seem "real" then props to her! I know she is from Argentina so maybe she herself had an easier time adjusting to her adopted country. I agree Mary should stay true to herself but it may be harder than it sounds, especially when they're are outside pressures telling her what to do and what not to do.
yeah, i quite understand that. i'm sorry i dont post the reason about MM. well, my reason is that provided she did not change. do you think NRF would still exist? i don't think so. i mean yes, the fact that MM receives the warmth of her people now is the result of her change.she's very sorry for her past and she did promised to change. wel, they're you go. she did change and from what i've seen her she's actually doing a great job. she's complementing her husband just like the other CPss. i mean i love the way MM handles her duties. from what i see that's the real her. what i mean to not chnge is for mary.. she overshadows her husband. she's too glamorous. with maxima she came from a foreign country but i think she's not too glmaourous like mary. i mean she's glamorous with her clothes but thats not what i meant to say. glamorous being the personality and all. and she does not steal the spotlight from her husband. i think with all the pr of the DRF. they should stop advertising mary.. sooner or later many people would realize that being too glamorous.. for MM kudos to her for changing what she's already now. she's happy now.

I never heard Andrew Denton say that he regretted the interview, but he did say when asked he named this as his worst interview. He described it as 'boring' because he 'isn't interested in royalty and didn't do any research' made me wonder why he did it in the first place. I can't really comment as I haven't seen many of his interviews, but I did see this one, and he seemed to like them fine

Hotdog said:
Official documentaries and interviews (really did interview her)

*NINKA book

*The DR documentary about her

*Denton Interview (filmed at the palace Jan/Feb 15 prior to Australian tour). Mostly about life as a Princess/ newly married. It's a "fluff piece"

* Greenland NU interview:
lots of cute pics of the newlywed Princes cuddling huky pups. Appears to be a face-to-face interview

*Dansk Magazine photoshoot promoting Danish Fashion Industry

*small interview on globalisation,

*short interview on sports and the importance of physical activities for Health week before her gallstone OP

*Australian Vogue right before she was made patron of Danish fashion

*Austrailian Womans Weekly probably was an "official interview" as it contained previously unreleased pics by Steen Evald at the palace. I get the idea that it may have been a phone interview though rather than an interview in Danmark like Denton did. WW is conservative an royalist, it has previously printed replies by Per Thornit so is about the only Woman's Mag in Australia they are likely to be interviewed by.

*Tara Brown's dreadfull "matchrace interview" prior to the wedding for Australia's sixty minutes.
Was face-to-face but after nosy questions on "pillow talk" 60 minutes are unlikely to ever get an interview again.
No wonder Denton/ABC got the job for the Australia tour.

May Not Have Been an Interview:
*Syndicated newspapers Australia (multi papers across Australia)
had interviews prior to the tour. Most of the shots look like they were reworking of Steen Evald's work for Woman's Weekly and other pre-published shots. If there was an interview it would have been ONE to one journalist. Syndicated hold many newspapers so re-wording and editing gives the impression that there was a lot of Newspapers getting interviews here. If there was an interview I expect it was by phone since I didn't see any sign of original photos but I wouldn't be suprised they all simply re-worked existing interviews eg Ninka

Thank you and Larzen, she did a lot of interviews compared to the other crownprincesses (just an observation), and many just about herself and her new position as well. I believe CP Mathilde, for example never ever gave an interview, and Maxima one before her marriage, with the PoO, intended as a portrait, and after that 1 about (her) intergration in our society and three on microfinance (I wonder about Letizia and Mette-Marit). Strange to notice that the media policies of the royal courts in these matters are so different.

Marengo said:
Thank you and Larzen, she did a lot of interviews compared to the other crownprincesses (just an observation), and many just about herself and her new position as well. I believe CP Mathilde, for example never ever gave an interview, and Maxima one before her marriage, with the PoO, intended as a portrait, and after that 1 about (her) intergration in our society and three on microfinance (I wonder about Letizia and Mette-Marit). Strange to notice that the media policies of the royal courts in these matters are so different.

Hi Marengo
Well the interviews should be about her, she was new back then and people wanted to know about her, what else would she talk about? She talked about herself and her new postition which is obviously what these interviews were about. She can only answer the questions the interviewee asks of her. If she was talking about herself, then obviously the questions that she was given was regarding herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom