The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 06:54 AM
Aristocracy

I simply find it very sad that there are threads like this in particularly CP Frederik and Mary's section. I think there are things about every royal that bothers everyone because they simply aren't perfect. That's what I absolutely love about this couple. They're normal, they're in love and they make mistakes. However their mistakes aren't controversial, none of their mistakes are Big.

But there will always be people who will criticise them and point out all the negatives they can find about them... That I guess is the consequence of being a royal. However perhaps this thread is a good thing, as I feel it highlights the positive comments and the people defending them.

Tiff

Old 01-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
Mary is going to have to live down Vogue because it will be brought up for decades by commentators (not necessarily detractors, but even those of us who don't give a flip about her) unless she succeeds in altering her public image.
Well it appears Mary only has this image on message boards; from what I've seen of the press coverage, its quite favorable or at least neutral. I saw no comments about Vogue in the recent press flurry surrounding the baptism.

If that's the case, I think Mary's image 'problem' is not big enough for her to worry about changing her image.

There are little things that bother me but its not so much Mary as it is the situation around her. I don't like how the Australian press is co-opting everything about the Danish royal family and calling it Australian. They claimed that Mary was going to raise her baby the Australian way, they keep calling the little one half-Australian and little kingaroo. They gave the little prince a pair of Tasmanian devils that the Danes don't know what to do with and is causing problems with the Danish animal control authorities. It's too much and I imagine the Queen and the Danish public are going to get sick of it after awhile; Mary is Danish now as is her little prince. You would expect that the Danes didn't know anything until Mary came along. That's not Mary's fault but its irritating just the same.

If she does have one fault it is that she does have a soft spot for her homeland and she sometimes gives them too much. On the eve of the baptism she granted her first interview in over a year and decided to talk to an Australian magazine not a Danish one. The interview went well but I was disappointed that she didn't choose a Danish publication to give her first interview in a long time.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Aristocracy

:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Well it appears Mary only has this image on message boards; from what I've seen of the press coverage, its quite favorable or at least neutral. I saw no comments about Vogue in the recent press flurry surrounding the baptism.

If that's the case, I think Mary's image 'problem' is not big enough for her to worry about changing her image.

There are little things that bother me but its not so much Mary as it is the situation around her. I don't like how the Australian press is co-opting everything about the Danish royal family and calling it Australian. They claimed that Mary was going to raise her baby the Australian way, they keep calling the little one half-Australian and little kingaroo. They gave the little prince a pair of Tasmanian devils that the Danes don't know what to do with and is causing problems with the Danish animal control authorities. It's too much and I imagine the Queen and the Danish public are going to get sick of it after awhile; Mary is Danish now as is her little prince. You would expect that the Danes didn't know anything until Mary came along. That's not Mary's fault but its irritating just the same.

If she does have one fault it is that she does have a soft spot for her homeland and she sometimes gives them too much. On the eve of the baptism she granted her first interview in over a year and decided to talk to an Australian magazine not a Danish one. The interview went well but I was disappointed that she didn't choose a Danish publication to give her first interview in a long time.
I would not call that an interview:) Just a few polite comments and it is not very clear when it took place. It could have been on the way to the reception, where Fredrik and Mary also got a few questions from the Danish journalists. It was just the Australian newspaper that claimed it to be an interview. Which I found a bit of joke. Mary has also sometimes given a few polite comments to the Danish media, when she has been on official engagements. And it is not true that she has not given any interviews in the last year. The Danish royals often holds press conferences for the Danish journalists(and other interested) when they are on official visits abroad. Frederik and Mary did so in Australia and also on the visit to the Danish Fareo Islands in June. And there was also the pressmeeting when Frederik and Mary left the hospital.

As for the Vogue issue. You are right. The problem only exists for some members(mostly not even Danish members!!!) on this board and they do not qualify for being "the public" Danish opinion. It has really not been much of an issue in Denmark. It has not been regarded as a mistake or haunted her ever since. Most normal people don't think sooo much about it:) Again the "mistake" only seems exists by a few on this board. There were a bit of squabbles from the editor of the Danish gossip magazine Se & Hør, when Mary gave an interview to the Danish magazine "Dansk", because she didn't give an interview to his magazine instead. I am sure she and the other DRF members never will. But he did get a little publicity for his magazine and that was what the whole stunt was about.

Whatever Mary does she will always be criticised by some people, that why she should continue to do whatever she thinks is right. Unlike a politician Mary has the rest of her life to do all kinds of things. It is way too early to judge her. Do that in 10-15 years time. I think Mary has the patience:)

Here is an excerpt from an engagement interview
TARA BROWN: Because you are marrying into what is considered the perfect royal family. How much pressure is there to be the perfect princess?

MARY DONALDSON: I think people … the perfect princess, what is the perfect princess? I don't know. It's a very subjective thing first and foremost. But all I can say is that I will fulfil the role in a way that is particular to me and that all I can do is work hard and do my best and for some that will be good enough and for some it won't.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

I actually liked her in Vogue. I thought she was nice and got her exposer. It was a way of saying Im here world. Remember the more exposer she gets the more she can help her charities and Denmark. Mary does work pretty hard for a new royal and has started off really good. Fred is the lazy one. I like the dude but he needs to step it up a little. Mary has done a lot of good so far and I think her coldness and stifness in front of the cameras is her shyness and self conceisness. She knows she is always being critized by how she looks and not her personality because we really dont know what kind of personality she gots.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
Quite the nomad Aotearoagal...

"MII"
Yes - from the freezer (glaciers) to the frying pan (Bourke) - and back again!!!

Aotearoagal:p
Old 01-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aotearoagal
I am a fan of Mary's. Much of the criticism has been because Mary has made some PR errors, which is understandable. She is learning. She is highly intelligent and a much more forceful person than Frederik. She reminds me of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, very much running the show.Her drawback is when she gets too cocky - then she looks supercilious, which is a shame.

Aotearoagal
It seems to me this is a spot-on observation. (not to mention thanks to your post I learned a new word, supercilious--dictionary.com says it means "feeling or showing haughty disdain)

Actually I learned a lot about Mary and have a new-found understanding of her I didn't have before, thanks to this very thread! My new perception of her is of a bright, well-meaning albeit ambitiously focused woman who is trying hard to be worthy of this oldest of European noble families.

The only turn-off that remains in my opinion, is the, wait for it, <supercilious> look she still displays from time to time. Whether or not it's caused by some sort of shyness I don't care, if she doesn't somehow grow over it, many many people will continue to doubt her instead of like her, and that would be a shame indeed and ultimately detrimental to the DRF.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

what bothers me about mary and frederick? Absolutely nothing, i think they are great and do a wonderful job.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:28 AM
Nobility

Agree Australian,
Don't you think it's strange that for some who dislike Mary and fred that they spend up to two years talking about them on some forums- very odd to me. I could think of many a thing to do in two years and bagging someone they don't know is not one of them
Old 01-28-2006, 12:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbitha
Agree Australian,
Don't you think it's strange that for some who dislike Mary and fred that they spend up to two years talking about them on some forums- very odd to me. I could think of many a thing to do in two years and bagging someone they don't know is not one of them
i agree tabbitha, that is so true. To even have a thread entitled "What bothers you about Mary and Fred" is so leading and it is just starting the negativity
Old 01-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Gentry

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbitha
Agree Australian,
I agree on the logic you used here. Actually, same thing could be said even we praise royals...In fact, they are living their lives and we are wasting our times whether in criticizing them or in praising them. :p.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen2005
I agree on the logic you used here. Actually, same thing could be said even we praise royals...In fact, they are living their lives and we are wasting our times whether in criticizing them or in praising them. :p.
You got me there I guess I just think that if you hate /dislike someone so much then i wouldn't bother talking about them- that would only feed their ego so I would have an opinion and move on but when it comes to bashing them everyday all day you have to think that there is more to life than that.
Each to their own..:p :)
Old 01-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
i agree tabbitha, that is so true. To even have a thread entitled "What bothers you about Mary and Fred" is so leading and it is just starting the negativity

I agree that the thread title is Leading. I don't see anything wrong with that, as it encouraged people to read the thread and share their comments. I think a Mary is Great! thread title would have done just the same thing.

Personally, I don't think this thread has been all that negative. I think it is a credit to everyone on this board that people here generally express their opinions in an intelligent manner, and that people here can agree to disagree without descending into a name calling cat fight. For me, negativity is when you bash someone just for the sake of bashing them. a critique is somewhat different.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Nobility

The baby is half austrailian his mother is aussie so he is to. By birth he is danish but he has his mothers blood Ie he is half aussie.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by seto
The baby is half austrailian his mother is aussie so he is to. By birth he is danish but he has his mothers blood Ie he is half aussie.
By blood, he is probably more Scottish than Aussie. In terms of citizenship, He is Danish, as his mother gave up Australian citizenship in 2004.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by seto
What bothered me was the overkill. Almost every single Australian report referred to him as half-Aussie. Almost nobody refers to Alexandra's children, Nicholai and Felix, as half-Chinese. We almost never hear Princess Amalia referred to as half-Argentinian although she is. Its enough for most people that they are princes and princesses and adored children of their parents.

Heck for that matter, I have never heard Margrethe called half-Swedish despite her Swedish mother and Prince Charles is never referred to as half-Greek although his father was Prince of Greece. I could go on and on but I think you understand what I mean.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
What bothered me was the overkill. Almost every single Australian report referred to him as half-Aussie. Almost nobody refers to Alexandra's children, Nicholai and Felix, as half-Chinese. We never hear Princess Amalia referred to as half-Argentinian although she is. Its enough for most people that they are princes and princesses and adored children of their parents.

Heck for that matter, Margrethe is never called half-Swedish despite her Swedish mother and Prince Charles is never referred to as half-Greek although his father was Prince of Greece. I could go on and on but I think you understand what I mean.
The Aussies like to make a big thing out of it, and why not, Mary is or was an Aussie, maybe not much by blood but being Aussie must be in your heart, not so much blood.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Aristocracy

Unhappy

The very fact that I see the title of this thread in a couple of forums makes me want to see this couple succeed. I just love to see an underdog overcome the negative. I find that tongue-in-cheek persuasion tactics are a double-edged sword and as I am asked to reflect on what resonates with me about various Crown couples, I find that in the review I reinforce my original theory that Mary is doing an excellent job, inspite of her critics.

Everyone has a princess or two that they like, I would hope that the focus would be on what they do right and if we don't like that particular CP then skip the family, everybody wins this way.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Administrator

I think that Prince Christian is referred to half Aussie as a matter of pride. Kind of look at this adorable baby...the future King of Denmark...he belongs to us too :) Also, its a gentle reminder for anyone who doesn't know that Mary is Australian...of course..you have to have lived under a rock. But not everyone discovers things at the same time. I didn't discover Mary until the wedding and some are just getting to know about her now.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
What bothered me was the overkill. Almost every single Australian report referred to him as half-Aussie. Almost nobody refers to Alexandra's children, Nicholai and Felix, as half-Chinese. We almost never hear Princess Amalia referred to as half-Argentinian although she is. Its enough for most people that they are princes and princesses and adored children of their parents.
I think you've made a really good point ysbel that I've never thought about before -- that it was media overkill that led to Mary being put up on an impossibly high pedestal by the Australian media that led to a saturated belief that she was perfect.

I think it's wonderful that Australia as a country is so proud of Mary -- it must be a great feeling for Mary to know that her (birth) country is behind her.

But then I think what likely happened giving the impression that Mary gave a lot more interviews than she did was that media outlets took excerpts from her VOGUE, DANSK and Women's Daily (or whatever that other magazine was), and the TV or newspaper interview she gave and made it seem like she gave 50 interviews instead of just five or so.

This happens to many public people, whether it be the head of a government, a celebrity or some other major public figure, one interview leads to endless sound clips and quotes repeated in other media sources as if they interviewd the person personally.

So, if this is the case (and I suspect that it is at least partly), Mary -- nor her advisors or the Danish royal court -- be to blame for the zealousness of Australian media sources.

Afterall, it could be worst -- the Australian media sources could be zealous to bring Mary down rather than support her.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
What bothered me was the overkill. Almost every single Australian report referred to him as half-Aussie. Almost nobody refers to Alexandra's children, Nicholai and Felix, as half-Chinese. of Greece. I could go on and on but I think you understand what I mean.
That'd be because Christian is the heir to the throne and Alexandra's children aren't, so having an Australian King of Denmark was a really fun idea for the Australian press, while nobody would be much interested in the offspring of the younger sibling of the Crown Prince of Denmark.

Also, Hong Kong is not a place with a royalist culture, is it? Would anyone much in Hong Kong think about royals? I reckon they're too busy getting on with now being part of the People's Republic of China and getting ready to take over the world economically. In fact it would be much more strategic for Denmark to "own" and promote its part-Chinese princes, given that the trade aspect of royal tours is so important these days as a justification... Who knows? That Chinese connection may come to the fore one day and be noticed!

Aotearoagal

Closed Thread

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary