Twin Prince and Princess for Frederik & Mary: January 8, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As i said before I had babies #2 and #3 at 35 and 38 years of age (first at 28).....pregnant first month both times and without any fertitlity treatment. Many women that age can fall pregnant naturally

I saw that Queen Margrethe & Prince Henrik both visited, as well as Mary's father, John Donaldson. According to Billed-Bladet, John Donaldson said the babies look a bit like Princess Isabella. I can't wait to see the little ones. Do we have any word on when they'll possibly be released from the hospital? I'm not trying to jump the gun or anything, just wondering.

Congratulations to the family. :flowers:

The Danish Royal Family have said that it was natural conception and natural birth. Who are you to argue that you know something that no one else knows. Why on earth would they say it if it was not true as these days the truth gets out. Why on earth would you say you know better? 38 is not "old" to have a baby, certainly not when it is not your first or are you just one of those mad conspiracy theorists?

The babies are born, they are healthy as is Mary. It doesn't matter and it was bad enough that the Royal Family had to state the twin pregnancy was a natural conception, it was no one's business in the first place. Being 38 is far from being "old". I agree wholeheartedly, Marg.:)

I saw that Queen Margrethe & Prince Henrik both visited, as well as Mary's father, John Donaldson. According to Billed-Bladet, John Donaldson said the babies look a bit like Princess Isabella. I can't wait to see the little ones. Do we have any word on when they'll possibly be released from the hospital? I'm not trying to jump the gun or anything, just wondering.

There were some speculations on that yesterday.

As the births were uncomplicated she could leave the hospital anytime next week.

So I'd say Tuesday-Thursday.

I thought they said he can visit tomorrow being today if that makes sense...guess he's still not feeling well enough...too bad was looking forward to seeing the twins' big brother and big sister come and visit.

Ahh, thank you :flowers:

I haven´t seen nor heard about that in the danish medias...
No, neither have I. I just saw the link to the Australian video clip where the journalist said the second baby was breech. This morning's Berlingske Tidende runs several pages about the twin birth, nothing mentioned about breech as far as I can see. A bit strange; wonder who first said that the little girl was breech.

Addition: Just saw Tinkerbell's link to a quote by the doctor. Thanks. Still strange that it isn't mentioned in Danish media and online sites.

Last edited:
No. Isabella wore the same christening gown as Christian. The original christening robe was used in 1870. So it is very old and an antique. Just like the Windsors and the Honiton lace christening robe, the Danish royals can chose to have a replica of the christening robe made. The Prince can use the original and the Princess can wear the replica. The original Christening Robe can become part of a permanent exhibit and the Danish royals can continue to use the replica for future christenings.

That's my thinking anyway!
So, (just to put the cat amongst the pigeons) !! (hypothetically speaking of course) why do you feel the original christening gown should be given to the Prince and the Princess wear a replica - is it because he is a boy and you feel he has higher status than his sister. Does that make him more important then:confused:

Last edited:
Great to hear the twins are healthy and the birth uncomplicated. Congratulations to the couple, royal twins are truly special! Looking forward to the first pictures of the complete family.

Mystiblue said:
So, (just to put the cat amongst the pigeons) !! (hypothetically speaking of course) why do you feel the original christening gown should be given to the Prince and the Princess wear a replica - is it because he is a boy and you feel he has higher status than his sister. Does that make him more important then:confused:

It probably has more to do with the fact the prince was born first and nothing to do with gender.

Is there any information about when do Mary leave the hospital or how long the babies have to stay in the hospital?

The Danish Royal Family have said that it was natural conception and natural birth. Who are you to argue that you know something that no one else knows. Why on earth would they say it if it was not true as these days the truth gets out. Why on earth would you say you know better? 38 is not "old" to have a baby, certainly not when it is not your first or are you just one of those mad conspiracy theorists?

:clap:

Well said!

Roxsteve must have some insider knowledge that we don't to be so "sure" Mary had fertility treatment :rolleyes: :whistling: it really gets up my nose when people make assumptions that beyond 35 all women need fertility treatment to have twins or even to fall pregnant. A friend of mine has two teenage children and discovered she was pregnant again at 43 and she hadn't been planning on any more!

Congratulations Frederik and Mary! I am so happy for them! I had all the time a feeling that the twins will be born on a Saturday, because Christian and Isabella are. A boy and a girl, now they have two of each. What wonderful news. I am really excited to see the twins, hope they both have brown eyes like Mary, since Christian and Isabella have blue eyes like Frederik.

It probably has more to do with the fact the prince was born first and nothing to do with gender.

I was thinking the same thing. It seems more likely that the prince will wear the original gown, as he was born first. I wouldn't assume it has anything to do with the twins gender roles or importance.

congratulations to Frederik, Mary, Christian and Isabella.

A boy and a girl:just perfect!!!!

Congratulations to the family!!!

No..because the prince is the "eldest" - he came out first! Simple as that!:lol:

Congratulations Princess Mary & Prince Frederik and Danish Royal Family, great news little Princess and little Prince

Summary based on a number or article in BT, Sunday 09/01-2011.

The maternity team was alerted a little past 05.00 Saturday morning. BT writes that Mary arrived at Rigshospitalet at little before 07.00. However, I heard Morten Hedegaard say on TV, that Mary arrived “a little later”. And that she gave birth five hours later. To me that indicate she arrived sometime between 05.00 and 06.00.

Anyway, the first twin a boy (Elvis) was born at 10.30 and the second, a girl (Shirley) was born at 10.56.
Elvis measured 47 cm and weighed a healthy 2.674 grams. Shirley measured 46 cm and weighed 2.554 grams. Both children scored well on the apgar scale.
The births were uncomplicated and were labeled a “dream birth” by Morten Hedegaard.

Frederik cut the umbilical cord on the first twin and held that twin in his arms while Mary gave birth to the second.

Mary had an epidural.

The twins were so perfectly aligned that midwife, Birgitte Hillerup, didn’t even consider a C-section.

The batteries at Sixtus in Copenhagen and Kronborg Castle did indeed fire 2 x 21 gun salutes at noon Saturday. But with a 30 seconds pause between the salutes. Not 26 minuttes as reported in Politiken, that would have been silly. Unfortunately the fog at Kronborg was so dense that it spoiled the spectacle.

A little past 11.30 Frederik went down to the waiting press in the foyer and announced that his wife (formal word) the Crown Princess had given birth to a boy and a girl.
He added: “Considering the circumstances the mother and the children are really, really well – as is the father”. (*)
And then a visibly overjoyed Frederik answered questions from the press:
“It’s double-trouble, until they are born, so you are extra attentive for them”.

When he learned that this was the birthday of Elvis Presley Frederik joked: “We can call him Elvis, at least to begin with”.

Did he cry?
“One should not keep the tears back in such a situation”.

How was QMII’s reaction?
“She was totally happy”.

“When the first arrive, the you know that number two will arrive half an hour later. It’s unreal – at least for a father and a man. It’s almost like being a dad again for the first time, because there are two individuals and two little hearts you have to keep an eye on”.

“I was present and tried to absorb it all every second, because I didn’t want to hit the floor from excitement and expectations – and indeed I didn’t”.

“Mary was fantastic. She handled it extremely well”.

Who do the twins resemble?
“They look like newborn. They both have dark hair, so there should be no questions as to who are their parents”.

More children?
“No-o, I won’t stand here alone and promise…”, he chuckled.

How about Christian and Bella?
“It’s still a bit unreal for them, even though they have followed the beautiful growing belly of their mother. But I think it’s stranger for Isabella. She probably thinks mother is coming home with two dolls”.

A little past 13.00 a delighted farfar/grandpapa/granddad Henrik showed up at Rigshospitalet and was immediately set upon by the hunger press, making the PET officers slightly nervous.
Prince Henrik said: “I wanted to be the first to congratulate”.
Will he baby-sit?
“That’s not my job”.
“I’m very proud and very happy”.

Later in the afternoon Queen Margrethe stepped into the foyer, raising the average IQ there by 100% and this time PET made sure the press stayed behind the barrier.
There is no mention of QMII starting by cutting down a reporter, who asked a particularly silly question, in her usual style. – Perhaps it was a BT reporter…
Then the questions started in earnest and QMII switched to English, even when asked in Danish, so I guess she was thinking in English.
Who do the twins resemble?
“They resemble each other”.
“I’m really proud and happy”.
“My daughter-in-law shines like a sun and I’m so happy on her behalf that the birth passed swiftly for her. And (I’m) delighted her father is here”.
She did indeed bring a present.
“But what it was I won’t say”.

This was treat for the press, QMII being a Majesty, is not in the habit of giving improvised press conferences whenever a child is born in the DRF. She did this time. – Displaying clearly that while (at least the Danish) reporters may earn a living from writing, her mastery of Danish is superior to any of them. – It fills me with some glee…

Mary’s sympathetic father, John Donaldson also dropped by Rigshospitalet.
“Yes, I cried when I got the news that Mary had given birth. I’m really good at crying”.
He has been looking after Christian and Isabella.
“Looking after and looking after. Been with them”.
And he broke the news to Christian and Bella.
“It all happened at once, so all ended up being told at the same time. But I’m not quite sure they comprehended the scale of the news. But they did smile”.
“Mary is feeling fantastic and she looks splendid. She’s bubbling from happiness. – Even though it’s been hard, she’s already joking. And the little newborns, they are just lovely”.
John Donaldson is now a proud granddad of twelve grandchildren.
He added that Mary’s sister Patricia Bailey will go to Denmark shortly.

BT phoned Mary’s second sister, Jane Stephens, who said: “I’m thrilled and excited for Fredrik, Isabella and Christian. I’m relieved that everyone are well after the birth”.

Joachim and our Marie are on a trip abroad somewhere and cannot visit Mary now.

Christian is suffering from a cold, so he and Isabella were kept away, at least Saturday.

(*) A bit funny. I noticed Frederik said father and mother in a very formal way during the press meeting. Faderen/moderen = the father/the mother is very unusual and very formal. Faren/moren is the common way to say it.

-----------

ADDED:

Billed Bladet informs us that Caroline and Peter Heering arrived at Rigshospitalet late Sunday forenoon as the first visitors of the day to Mary.
http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige/ArticleFolder/2011/1/Dagens forste gaster er kommet.aspx

BT informs us that Frederik most likely slept at the hospital with Mary on the night to Sunday.
http://www.bt.dk/royale/frederik-sov-hos-mary

Last edited:
:clap:

Well said!

Roxsteve must have some insider knowledge that we don't to be so "sure" Mary had fertility treatment :rolleyes: :whistling: it really gets up my nose when people make assumptions that beyond 35 all women need fertility treatment to have twins or even to fall pregnant. A friend of mine has two teenage children and discovered she was pregnant again at 43 and she hadn't been planning on any more!

I completely agree. Besides, does it really matter how she gave birth? I personally don't care. When a couple wants children than they should and can make use of the medical and technological possibilities that we have. I think we should be thankful for such kind of possibility as it makes many couples who can't have children naturally very happy. Natural or not natural birth - what matters is that mother and children are healthy and doing fine. I can't wait to see the pictures of the twins.

A son and a daughter. How wonderful. :flowers: Now they have two of each.
Congrats to the whole family.

Congratulations to Frederik, Mary, Christian and Isabella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom