Nannies of the Crown Prince Couple’s Children

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am at a loss to understand "The Nanny Issue ".

It is my belief the the CP Couple, not to mention both sets of Grandparents, want Christian and Isabella to have the best possible family life. That being the case, any Nanny employed would absolutely have to be a fully trained professional. Dare one say.......a 'Career Woman' (or man) who would expect to have job security!

If Mary were free to hands-on parent the children for the morning but be out in the afternnon, home for dinner and then out for the evening or overnight, is The Nanny supposed to be there only when needed? I don't think so. That would not be acceptable work conditions under which employment law would allow.

As Mary (and Frederik for that matter) have erratic work loads, I am guessing that the nannying is split into at least three (eight hour?) shiftts. That's three nannies. If Christian and Isabella need to be in two different places at the same time.....well that's two nannies on the same shift....so that's ...........Four! Then there is one off sick or on holiday etc.........

Mary and Frederik have three nannies 2 fulltime and one part-time, this has been confirmed by the Danish court.

The discussion point here is not that they have nannies but rather that Mary out of all the various crown princess and princess ( all of whom employ nannies) spoke beforehand about the fact that her children wouldn't be raised by nannies. That then set her up for criticism because she has nannies and more than one.

There is no controversy or criticism of the other CP as they never gave an interview about nannies. Mette-Marit apparently also has 3 nannies and when she and Haakon travel overseas together her mother also moves in with their children. ( Not known if they are part-time or fulltime as Marius is at school and Ingrid attends Nursery school) Regardless there is no criticism of the fact that she has nannies because she never spoke about her attitude to having nannies the way Mary did.

What probably CPss Mary meant "raised by nanny' is "brought up by nanny ". CP Frederik and Prince Joachim were raised by their Royal nanny when they were small. Queen Margrethe spent very little time with them. They were only allowed to have meals with their parents when they were five years old.
Even Queen Margrethe admitted that in her biography "Portrait Book of Queen Margrethe II - by Annelise Bistrup. Here is part of a long article by Fresh magazine based on extracts from Queen Margrethe's new biography-credit CPMMB.:flowers:

The Queen is critical of her own role as a mother and wife, worrying that her royal duties took precedence over her family.

“I wasn’t good enough when it came to helping my husband and I wasn’t especially clever when my children were small,” she confesses. “My children have often expressed that they saw me too little. And they are probably right.”

But thankfully the royal nanny was on hand to help working mum Margrethe, and for that she will always be thankful.

“I had an advantage in that we had the wonderful Mrs Pedersen to take care of the children,” she says. “She was the fixed point in their lives. She was absolutely perfect, and therefore I left more responsibility to her.

“I knew the children were in good hands with her and I had great faith in her. Luckily, I have never been jealous that she spent time with them and I didn’t.”

I think what CPss Mary meant is that she will spent more time with the children and be hands on whenever possible and will not depend sorely on nannies. I am sure she is aware that she has Royal dutes to attend and that it is impossible not to have someone to look after the children when she is away doing her Royal duties as Crown Princess. So far we have seen many photos of her and CP Frederik with the children-taking them for walks, trips, christening of friends's children,etc. :)

I think the real issue here is the misinterpretation of the word "raised by nanny" . :)

Last edited:
What probably CPss Mary meant "raised by nanny' is "brought up by nanny ". CP Frederik and Prince Joachim were raised by their Royal nanny when they were small. Queen Margrethe spent very little time with them. They were only allowed to have meals with their parents when they were five years old.
Even Queen Margrethe admitted that in her biography "Portrait Book of Queen Margrethe II - by Annelise Bistrup. Here is part of a long article by Fresh magazine based on extracts from Queen Margrethe's new biography-credit CPMMB.:flowers:

I think what CPss Mary meant is that she will spent more time with the children and be hands on whenever possible and will not depend sorely on nannies. I am sure she is aware that she has Royal dutes to attend and that it is impossible not to have someone to look after the children when she is away doing her Royal duties as Crown Princess. So far we have seen many photos of her and CP Frederik with the children-taking them for walks, trips, christening of friends's children,etc. :)

I think the real issue here is the misinterpretation of the word "raised by nanny" . :)

You hit the nail on the head Harmony, so to say. Perfect post :flowers:

This topic alone makes me think that the less the public knows the better. I am glad that the second birthday was private, it is a start.

I think perhaps Mary's words were taken out of context. Her children would not be reared by nannies, they will be be raised by their parents wiht the help of nannies.
However I don't understand the need for three nannies with only two children. Plenty of parents manage their children single-handed. I realise that Mary is not always around but surely three is too many?

Since 2 of the nannies are full time and 1 is part time...three sounds about right. I mean there are 24 hours in a day, seven days a week...so the full time nannies probably have on/off hours (i.e. Nanny A might work 7 am to 4 pm and Nanny B might work 1 PM until 8 PM) and the part time nanny most likely works when the full time nanny is off. Going under the assumption that the nannies work 5 days off and 2 days off.

To repeat what a previous poster asked, do we know how many nannies other CPs have? I once heard MC of Greece has an outrageous number but that was never confirmed.

To repeat what a previous poster asked, do we know how many nannies other CPs have? I once heard MC of Greece has an outrageous number but that was never confirmed.

Do you know how many nannies MC has? I'm just curious.

CP Mary seems to be a natural with children. You can tell this by looking at the many photos of her with children on this forum. I'm sure that her children are receiving the best of care, and I'm sure that the Crown Princess is a very hands-on mother. :flowers:

Do you know how many nannies MC has? I'm just curious.

MC and Pavlos don't have a nanny. In a previous magazine interview done when their youngest Odysseus was 18 months old, the journalist was at their newly decorated London house. ( Photos of it were the focus of the interview) It was then that MC said that Pavlos wanted then to raise their own children so they didn't have a nanny. MC is also regularly spotted on the school run, dropping and picking her children up from school. There are paparazzi photos of MC and Pavlos shopping with youngest child in tow.

I think Mary needs a nanny mostly because she doesn't have a nine to five work and in those evening events she need to have someone to take care of the children. But I think that when Mary is around and at home she takes care of the children herself but having a little help doesn't arm her at all!!

What is so bad by having nannies for the children? They are not there to displace the parents. They are just helping hands for the Prince and the Princess. I think the whole discussion is for nothing!

Mary may have said that when she had no kids and before she knew how hard to unite her job as a crown princess with the work of a mother. I think that she is a good and proud parent (as we may see on the pictures only unfortunately). and it doesnt matter if she has a million nannies, Mary still seems to me perfect mom and Crown Princess :flowers:

I think Mary should reissue her statement of "I will be a 100% mother" and change it to, "I will be a 100% mother only 40% of the time" ;)

I think Mary should reissue her statement of "I will be a 100% mother" and change it to, "I will be a 100% mother only 40% of the time" ;)

I think you miss the gist of what being 100% mother means. When I worked full-time, I had sitters for my young children. No matter how many hours my children spent with sitters, nannies or what have you, I was still their main caregiver, teacher, disciplinarian, coach, etc. There are certain parental responsibilities that you never relinquish to sitters and nannies.

I think Mary needs a nanny mostly because she doesn't have a nine to five work and in those evening events she need to have someone to take care of the children. But I think that when Mary is around and at home she takes care of the children herself but having a little help doesn't arm her at all!!

Good point - each time you see a picture of M&F, ask yourself who is looking after the children? Family? Some of the time, I would say. I mean, HM was unlikely to be hiding out on the Dannebrog this past tour was she? Thats why there are pictures of the nannies with the children. For saecurity reasons as well as for the children's sake, it is surely preferable that they have the same carers, adn build relationships with them.

Perhaps consider that Mary meant not that there would not be a nanny (or 3) but that she would be the primary caregiver, the one her child would run to in tears...
Also, I would suggest that you cant stop being a mother just because you're not there. Are people whose (paid) carers take them away from their kids not still their parents???

I mean no offense, am just trying to raise the questions.

If you work you need someone to take care of your children. However, that also means someone other than you are raising them part or most of the time. You can not be their main influence if you are not the main care taker - which you are not if someone else is with them most of their waking hours. Those are just some unfortunate choices women must make today -

I know of a royal who had a nanny because, of course, she needed one. After about 4 years the young woman gave in her notice, she was getting married and had to move to another country. The royal was very upset, not because she would have to look after her children herself or even that she had to find another nanny, it was because the children seemed to love their nanny and she thought it would be an awful wrench for them. What happened, the nanny left and they hardly noticed, their Mummy was there for them and that was what mattered and they realised this.
I know for a fact how pleased and relieved this royal was.

There's nothing wrong with Mary having nannies to help her and Frederik with the children. Absolutely nothing. Having nannies doesn't mean that Mary and Fred spend no time with their kids and take no active part in raising them. It just means due to their schedule and lifestyle as royals, they need help. When Mary said her kids would not be raised by nannies, she meant that. Accepting help is not the same as passing off responsibility for the children on to someone else. I think people here are far too quick to judge sometimes.

I posted something about Mary's nannies, but can't find it. Are posts being moved around here? Anyway, CP Mary have two on-duty nannies most of the time, but also has a team of substitute nanines to cover for the full-time nannies. There has been a sligth change in the nanyteam, when Isabella's first nanny, Ann-Alicia, left earlier this year to get married. She is now expecting her first child. A Crown Princess needs nannies, of course, and in my opinion CP Frederik and CP Mary are doing a great job with their children. They have a completely different upbringing from the one CP Frederik had. All of the instructions about the children's care, food, clothes, playdates, naptimes etc. etc. come from Mary. She is a very hands-on mum! As many of you know, I have issues with the way CP Frederik and CP Mary carry out their job, but I have no issues whatsoever with the way they are bringing up their children.

I think it is wonderful that Mary is so hands-on with her children. I know that they keep such a busy schedule, but it is refreshing to see that they always make time for their children. It seems like this is not always the case with the very wealthy and other royals. Frederik and Mary's children are very lucky (as are Frederik and Mary).

I remember Mette Hansen. It was nothing short of pure love between her and Christian.
She was, if I recall correctly, a nurse from the maternity ward at Rigshospitalet where Mary gave birth.

Why is it an issue for Mary? I thought the children had 2 parents...

Why is it an issue for Mary? I thought the children had 2 parents...

Reading through the thread it seems that Mary was misquoted as saying she didn't want nannies to raise her children and/or didn't want nannies at all (pre Christian's birth) and people discussing the "issue" of her then having nannies.

A lot of modern crown prince/royal couples are alleged to have said "no nannies" and then realised they had to hire some. But it seems like most also try to spend as much time as they can with their kids.

Reading through the thread it seems that Mary was misquoted as saying she didn't want nannies to raise her children and/or didn't want nannies at all (pre Christian's birth) and people discussing the "issue" of her then having nannies.

Wasn't that a case of very deliberate misquoting....

She didn't say Christian wouldn't have a nanny, she said "he wouldn't be raised by nannies/a nanny, which is not the same thing. Can't remember the exact Danish words she used.
Like she would be stupid enough to think they wouldn't need a nanny at all.;)

Wasn't that a case of very deliberate misquoting....

She didn't say Christian wouldn't have a nanny, she said "he wouldn't be raised by nannies/a nanny, which is not the same thing. Can't remember the exact Danish words she used.
Like she would be stupid enough to think they wouldn't need a nanny at all.;)

So it seems. Hence a thread was started 16 years ago with people discussing the quote, it's context, the DRF spokesperson's response and her nannies.

Thanks! I somehow missed it was an old thread...

Back
Top Bottom