Nannies of the Crown Prince Couple’s Children

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Royal Darkness, I can't remember the names of the nannies F&M have for the children. Wasn't one of them called Mette? I also seem to remember having read in a Danish magazine that the two nannies were not both full-time, but cannot remember where.:)

I don't understand why people nick-pick on Mary regarding "nanny" issue. She is a working mom, even though she does not 9 to 5 job. She is still a working mom. So, she need someone look after her children while she is at work which is daycare or nanny. Does people expected her to send her children to daycare?

Royal Darkness, I can't remember the names of the nannies F&M have for the children. Wasn't one of them called Mette? I also seem to remember having read in a Danish magazine that the two nannies were not both full-time, but cannot remember where.:)

I found some informations about it (I mean the names of the two nannies):
One is Mette Hansen (Christian's nanny) and the other is Ann-Alicia Thunbo (Isabella's nanny) and another nanny Mie (in Verbier) ...
That are already three nannies (I found the informations at DRW: "...the nanny Mie, age 22 [assistant to nanny Mette Hansen]")

Now I am a little bit confused... :eek:

DRW: "In January 2006 a nanny's assitant/nursery assistant was employed part time. She is a 22-year-old student, Mie Damgaard Kristiansen, known as Misse. ..."

Take a look here:
Danish Royal Watchers
and here:
Danish Royal Watchers

Maybe one of them quit... The name I read in the newspaper was different...

Last edited:
You're right Royal Darkness, there are tree names :)
We don't see these nannies much in the Danish media, so I would assume that they are not full-time employed. If they are to stand in for each other from time to time, I suppose the children have to become acquainted with them all.
Perhaps it would be a great part-time job if you have part-time studies?:)

You're right Royal Darkness, there are tree names :)
We don't see these nannies much in the Danish media, so I would assume that they are not full-time employed. If they are to stand in for each other from time to time, I suppose the children have to become acquainted with them all.
Perhaps it would be a great part-time job if you have part-time studies?:)

Frederik and Mary have 2 fulltime nannies and one part-time. Christian's nanny is Mette Hansen, she works full-time and Isabella's nanny is Ana-Alicia Thunbo, also a full-time nanny. In this day and age nannies also work a standard amount of hours therefore a part-time nanny covers the times that would be considered over that amount. Mie Kristiansen works part-time, to cover from when ( Christian at least, she was employed after his birth) needs to have a nanny take care of him.

The nanny working hours are probably well illustrated with the trip to New York, Mary had no engagements until 2pm. That would have been organised so she would care for Isabella until the afternoon when Ana-Alicia would have started work ( officially) and Ana-Alicia's hours would reflect the fact that Mary ( and Frederik) had evening engagements and so she would be 'on duty'.

The nannies are more than just 'baby sitters' Mette Hansen was a paediatric nurse at the Rigshospitalet and was recommended for the job by Mary's doctor there. Ana-Alicia was Prince Felix's nanny, when Alexandra downsized from 2 nannies to one, Ana-Alicia was recommended to M & F. She studied childcare in the US.

Au pairs aren't paid, nannies are, there's a difference. Now a days nannies generally have some sort of formal training, au pairs don't. Princess Maxima has a nanny trained at the Nordlands Institute which is a famous British nanny training school, it has trained nannies that have been employed in various royal households since the late 19th century.

Thanks a lot Charlotte1:flowers:
Now you mention it, I do remember having heard somewhere that Felix's former nanny would be looking after F&M's children. Wonder if the nannies also have other functions in the household though, since for example Christian also attends nursery school.

Charlotte, very good post. I agree, that a nanny is different from a babysitter or even an au pair girl.
Babysitters cover only short periods of time, some hours per day or even only per week. Au pair girls or boys are very young inexperienced people set to learn the language of their new host country while they help out at their host family, that is why they are often also called mothers help.
A nanny is someone who helps raise the child. To what extent the parents are involved is up to them, the parents. But fact is a nanny could bring up the child with only little interference from the parents.
Of course Mary needs a nanny or maybe several, since danish working regulation demand vacation, overtime, weekends etc, no such thing as the 24/7 shift with two weeks off in the summer that the Norland nanny of the 19 century enjoyed...
However what was a bit undiplomatic or unwise of Mary were her early comments about several topics that might come back to haunt her. The nanny comment has already done that.
The pathetic "I will not tolerate infidelity" might bite her pretty nose any time.... We will see what else will prove to be a buttbiter...

Nannies should be someone who help us raise our children when we are not around, but how many of us have nannies?? I work from 9 to 17:30 and my son is at the kindegarten that time, when I finish I go there to pick him up. For example Mary is at home unitl her next event. Does she needs nannys during this time she is at home? Does she need nannys during holidays? I don't think so...Of course she doesn't have a 9:00 to 17:00 job, that's true however I think she spends more time at home than most of us and a simple made could do the job of 4 nannys (2 full time and 2 part-time nannys), I just think 4 nannys is a bit over the normal

Biboquinhas, how do you arrive at 4 nannies now :confused:

And again, do you know it is not Frederik who hired these nannies ?:D

And further more, at risk of repeating myself, do you think that she just shows up at these events straight from the shower completely unprepared. It does take time to learn about the cause/event/background/people that one will be dealing with.

Just in case you are not aware, please realize that everything that these royals do takes some preparation, and that all happens behind closed doors. Those of us that follow the Dutch royals were lucky enough to have a behind the scenes video made for the general public about what goes into preparing for these events with W-A and Maxima.

It's not as if they can just show up. So I would imagine that although we can not see it, these people are working hard as well making sure that they are prepared.

No, it is not a typical 9-5 job. But guess what, those of us who have 9-5 jobs generally do not have to go around the world to other countries as the face of our business, do not have to attend MANY late night functions, etc. And it is not as if you could just throw these children into any day care. So you can't really compare your situation to theirs. You have privacy, and they really do not. What's more, you and your children aren't the subject of hysterical people wanting to have every scrap of information that they can possibly glean.

And if they have multiple nannies, perhaps it is because they can, and perhpas it is because the typical European work week is not 40 hours. So they need to have people available add odd times and odd hours, but yet give these people a scheduled couple of days off, where they are not on call. So perhaps they are being nice to their nannies, and making it easy for them to earn a living while still having a reasonable amount of time off. I would imagine that being a nanny for such a high profile family is filled with its ups and downs.

Oh by the way, I spent 7 years as a nanny in Europe, and most people don't use their nannies as subsitute parents. And nannying is a good thing if you can afford it. It offers developing children one on one attention which does not really happen in a crowded creche/daycare.

As hard as I try I don't get what this thread is about. Mary made a statement some years ago that was misquoted. She has three nannies, I think that's the number people agree on, because somebody must look after their children when she or Frederick are at work (incl preparation). Of course they will need more nannies than one as there are two children to look after and events may take place between early morning and late night. I doubt Mary will interrupt a late dinner because she has to change a nappy. Where is the problem? I guess this is just the usual situation in a CP household with small children and it's not just nannies but drivers, cooks, keepers etc. Staff will allow Fred & Mary or the other CP couples to spend quality time with the children when they come home from work and none of them will waist a second with doing some unpleasant housework.

h by the way, I spent 7 years as a nanny in Europe, and most people don't use their nannies as subsitute parents. And nannying is a good thing if you can afford it. It offers developing children one on one attention which does not really happen in a crowded creche/daycare.
Of course nanies don't substitute parents, but if you can afford it it is more improtant that children attend a creche than to stay at home with nannies (in my opinion of course), you have qualified people to take care of you son (teachers), you have a plan of work to make during the year, the children can interact everyday with other children, every part of the children is estimulated and children can grow up having in mind that they need to share things, that other chidren do live in the same world has they live so they have to know how to handle that!
But of course Mary has Christian in the day car so I'am not critisizing I'am just giving my opinion on nannies, to me it is not a bad thing but people who use nannies to raise their children that I cannot agree!

Well, I beg to differ. Nannies can provide everything that a creche can, and more. Nannies offer one on one attention, which is very important to developing children. At age 1.5/2 years, then a child should be introduced to a creche/day care for a few days a week for the social interaction. However, they should also have play dates with the nanny, and other children, which during the first 1.5/2 years provides enough social stimulation. As you can see, that is what they have done with Christian.

Please explain where you find the benefit in putting an infant in day care? As a general rule the ratio of teacher - children before age 5 is 1:4 or 1:5. At that ratio, an infant generally spends most of the time in a crib, or on a blanket in the play room with very little interaction. I think that the one on one that a nanny provides is far superior to a developing child.

A qualified nanny has generally very similar qualifications or more than a day care provider. They have training in early childhood development, childhood nutrition, and a myriad of other things that qualifies them just as much if not more than a creche teacher who often is just someone straight out of college with little to no practical experience.

I am sorry, but I do not see the benefit of day care over creche for young children. Social skills, sharing, and the like can all be taught at home and with play dates just as well.

Have you had any experience with nannies? If not, please don't generalize them. Nannies are a best case scenario for people who want to do the best for their children, and either can not afford to stay home full time, realize that they are a better parent with the interaction that they get from the workplace, and want to make sure that they give their children as much one on one time as they can, which an informed parent knows will not happen in a day care. If a parent stayed at home, the child would receive that one on one. So I do not understand where you feel that it is okay for a child to stay at home with a parent, but when that parent makes a reasoned and fair decision to bring someone in to give the child the personal time that it is wrong. I am not criticizing anyone for putting their children in day care. Day care is most often far cheaper than having a nanny in the house. And I agree that day care is a good option for a few days a week after age 1 or 2.

Last edited:
Since Mary and Frederik both have to work in the evenings sometimes as well as during the day, day care wouldn't provide a complete solution to their child care needs. It seems to me to be better for them to have trained nannies to look after the children than untrained au pairs or babysitters, considering that they have unavoidable duties during the day and the evening, to say nothing of having to travel because of their positions. I don't think anyone is saying that day care isn't appropriate, but it doesn't fill the whole requirement.

If I was a mother and... if I was a busy woman like Mary is, I would find a nanny for my children. I would prefer them to stay with a well prepared lady who could give them care and tenderness. A nanny is also good to your children because they learn how to show affection and trust to another one than parents or close family. I believe most day centers don't give enough individual attention to children like a nanny does.

Wonder if the nannies also have other functions in the household though, since for example Christian also attends nursery school.

Hi UserDane - hmm, I don't think they would be happy to do 'other duties' - being a nanny is a profession, and they're not au pairs!

I do wonder, since that's the case, now you mention it, that now that Christian is in nursery school and they only seem to have a duty every few days, and not always together, whether they wouldn't prefer to reduce the nannying a little and live a more normal life looking after the kids ...

Aotearoagal

Last edited:
I think that nannies are just part of royal life and when Fr&M could effort some nannies then why not! I know that Mary's father and stepmother are doing full time job and I think Fr parents don't have many free time to ride to Fredensborg and look after their grandchildren. Ofcourse Mary's have much free time and then she is with her children but there are royal events where Mary must go and then is nannies needed. So I think that nannies are necessary for royal people and there are nothing wrong,

Now you mention it, I do remember having heard somewhere that Felix's former nanny would be looking after F&M's children. Wonder if the nannies also have other functions in the household though, since for example Christian also attends nursery school.

I think when it was first announced that Christian would be attending Nursery School it stated that he was going for a few hours a day and not every day. Mette Hansen's working hours probably reflect that, especially since there's been no announcement of another part-time nanny to cover for when Isabella's nanny is not working. There's one part-time nanny to cover for 2 fulltime nannies so Christian's nanny's 37hours(I believe that the Danish standard for a working week) would be hours around his time at Nursery School. Professional nannies don't do other household functions, that's the difference again between an au pair and a nanny. Au pairs do household chores, nannies don't.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Mary has had no more than 5 events this month, 2 of which were sporting events (tennis and swimming) so in all liklihood require very little preparation. The helicopter launch did not seem like the most taxing of events either.

With all due respect, Mary seems to have plenty of free time and I find the "behind the scenes" argument to be quite weak in this instance. These were not major conferences or foreign trips where speeches needed to be prepared or briefings needed to take place. Yes, she attended the mental health event, but IMRIC she made no speech and just sat in the audience like everybody else.

I honestly cannot see why Mary would need 3 nannies considering how very "light" her scehdule is.

Geez, and then we are again bombed back a couple of decades when everything concerning children is all attributable to the mother :sick: :bang:

I honestly cannot see why Mary would need 3 nannies considering how very "light" her scehdule is.

Could it be that two nannies one for each child & the third part-time or takes over when one of the two nannies are away?!:ermm:

Overmore, Even if Mary did have very few events this month I dont see what the problem if she did have three nannies. She could give them a week off or so. Also, This doesnt mean Mary doesnt spend time or is hands on mother because she has nannies.

Imo, as outsider to Mary & Frederiks private life, we dont know how the nannies schedules are orginised & they know whats best for their family.:)

Correct me if I'm wrong but Mary has had no more than 5 events this month, 2 of which were sporting events (tennis and swimming) so in all liklihood require very little preparation. The helicopter launch did not seem like the most taxing of events either.

With all due respect, Mary seems to have plenty of free time and I find the "behind the scenes" argument to be quite weak in this instance. These were not major conferences or foreign trips where speeches needed to be prepared or briefings needed to take place. Yes, she attended the mental health event, but IMRIC she made no speech and just sat in the audience like everybody else.

1 of her 5 official events in November had to do with sport, besides Mary attended 2 functions concerning the Mary Foundation which was founded this year (no preparation needed of course :D). Moreover she is patron of 22 organisations, so actually I do think the "behind the scenes" argument is quite strong in her instance.

Besides, nannies are not hired per month. There may be months were they are not needed that much and others where they are needed very much.

Princess Isabella is still only 7 months old and is being breast fed. It seems natural to me that the official schedule is not too busy.

I found a translation of the original conversation about balancing work and children, from the Anne Wolden-Raethinge book.
Anne Wolden-Raethinge (Ninka) has made interviews with many members of the Danish Royal Family over the years, and this book, sanctioned by the court, was a means of introducing Mary to the Danish public before the marriage.

In a family, the children have the highest priority ... Now, I am in a situation where I'll get a lot of help. Consequently I'll be able to work as much as possible in time there is left. I'll consider myself to be a working mother, but I'll be a 100 percent mother. My children won't be raised by nannies - definitely not. On the other hand I am not a clinging, mother-hen type of person. That may change, of course, when I actually have children myself.
It is quite clear from this statement that Mary and Frederik always intended to have nannies to help when necessary. It was the tabloid press which distorted this to a different meaning, as many have already pointed out.

Last edited:
May I ask (in this thread) how many nannies the other royal families have? Do we have information about this? I never read something about "a nanny-problem" in connection with Crownprincess Mette-Marit, Mathilde, Letizia or Maximá? We discuss, that it is so "terrible", that Crownprincess Mary has three (or four) nannies, but what is "normal"? Maybe Mette-Marit has eight nannies, Mathilde has seven nannies, and so on... I don't know? Who knows it?

Well, I think the problem wasn´t the fact that Mary uses nanny´s but how that fact relates to what she said about it before her wedding. As another poster just pointed out she never said that she would not use nanny´s though some in the press like to cause havoc and want us to believe that she did.

I have no idea how many nanny´s the other Princesses use, I know Mathilde at least has one Dutch speaking nanny for her children and I think Maxima has one too.

each princess must have nannies. as a fact, letizia, maxima and mette-marit do and so does mary. i doubt they have more than as many kids as they have, although they surely have extra ones in case something happens or the kinds need more attention while they are away from home.

as far as i know, it was mentioned that mary has two nannies?

some royal nannies:

dutch court: Johanna ('Hansje') Görtz
danish court: Mette Hansen, Ana-Alicia Thunbo
norwegian court: Maria Friestad Bergseth Sikkeland

I think at that time, Mary didnt know or think how busy she would be OR maybe Mary meant that she wonthave a full time nanny, who knows, but people dont know how things turn up until they are put/faced the situation.

Maybe Mary's plans were indeed in trying to be a full time mom (which is inpossible) therefore she came out and said what she said. But why do we keep quoting her with what she said.

Comparing with other royal houses & having a certain amount of nannies isnt really imo the right thing to do simply because each knows what is better for their own family & that most crown princess's have different schedules.

I am at a loss to understand "The Nanny Issue ".

It is my belief the the CP Couple, not to mention both sets of Grandparents, want Christian and Isabella to have the best possible family life. That being the case, any Nanny employed would absolutely have to be a fully trained professional. Dare one say.......a 'Career Woman' (or man) who would expect to have job security!

If Mary were free to hands-on parent the children for the morning but be out in the afternnon, home for dinner and then out for the evening or overnight, is The Nanny supposed to be there only when needed? I don't think so. That would not be acceptable work conditions under which employment law would allow.

As Mary (and Frederik for that matter) have erratic work loads, I am guessing that the nannying is split into at least three (eight hour?) shiftts. That's three nannies. If Christian and Isabella need to be in two different places at the same time.....well that's two nannies on the same shift....so that's ...........Four! Then there is one off sick or on holiday etc.........

Unlike the nannies of the early to mid 20th Centry, Nannies don't live in the nursery and have half a day off a week. Nannies have lives too! If they didn't they would not be the well-rounded professionals needed to be entrusted with the lives of the royal children, or any other children for that matter. :bang:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom