The Family of Crown Princess Mary - The Donaldsons

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember seeing a strange (possibly FB) post by Mary's brother about a trip(?) that she "who could not be named" would not be attending.
It looked legit, and if so so great to see the Ds gathering forces again.

I can't imagine how you would cope/deal with a daughter/sibling being thrust into such a public figure life style on the other side of the world!

Yes that was confirmed a fake profile, not involving anyone of Mary's family.

This was a wonderful event with the Queen. She looked thrill to see the items.
I'm guessing the Queen extended the invitation, with Mary returning from New York and Frederik on his way to Mali with the Danish troops.

And yes, I had read about the special motherly/ older sister relationship of Mary and Jane. Jane also came during each birth and stayed with her.

i assume that mary's other sister didn't come to denmark? yes, my guess is that margrethe invited them, seeing that both F & M were out of town. it makes me wonder why they didn't plan the trip for a week when they were in denmark (mary was just in the US and is travelling to the US again soon and frederik is abroad too) - were perhaps these trips or mary's family's trip a last-minute arrangement maybe?

i assume that mary's other sister didn't come to denmark? yes, my guess is that margrethe invited them, seeing that both F & M were out of town. it makes me wonder why they didn't plan the trip for a week when they were in denmark (mary was just in the US and is travelling to the US again soon and frederik is abroad too) - were perhaps these trips or mary's family's trip a last-minute arrangement maybe?
Why do you assume that Mary's sister Patricia didn't come to Denmark? (Or her husband, or Jane's, or Susan Donaldson?)

We don't know that she/they didn't come to Denmark, do we,? We do know that Mary's father, brother and Jane were in Denmark celebrating her father's birthday on the 5th of September. That means, that they didn't "plan the trip for a week when both F & M were out of town". They have spent several weeks in Denmark. I don't think that anyone living in Australia plans a "last-minute arrangement" to fly to the other side of the world if the sister and Frederik is not even in the country at the time.

Why do you assume that Mary's sister Patricia didn't come to Denmark? (Or her husband, or Jane's, or Susan Donaldson?)

We don't know that she/they didn't come to Denmark, do we,? We do know that Mary's father, brother and Jane were in Denmark celebrating her father's birthday on the 5th of September. That means, that they didn't "plan the trip for a week when both F & M were out of town". They have spent several weeks in Denmark. I don't think that anyone living in Australia plans a "last-minute arrangement" to fly to the other side of the world if the sister and Frederik is not even in the country at the time.

by the question mark in my phrase and the evident use of the word 'assume' you can see clearly that i do not know if they came or not and that my phase is purely questioning and not affirming.

i do not follow the exact agenda of mary's family, nor did i know when they arrived or that they were celebrating a birthday. what i do know is that mary was travelling to the US as per the official agenda. that's all. hence my question about the trip perhaps being a last minute arrangement. and clearly, your assumptions are just as good as mine with respect to the donaldson's availability to schedule a last minute trip or not, from australia or from where-ever.

i think some people really need to chill out.

Last edited:
Or perhaps they came to Denmark to babysit their grandchildren/nephews and nieces :)

John Donaldson live in Europe these days doesn't he?

So Jane is probably just as much coming to see her dad and with four grandchildren/nieces/nephews it's logic they may set up a base in Copenhagen, even if Mary is away for a couple of days.
Nice bonding time with the children and there is room to stay and M&F's staff still need to cook for the children, so a couple of extra mouths won't make a difference.

That QMII takes them along to an event suggests she has a good relationship with Mary's family and not just being polite. Otherwise it would be more likely they were just invited around for a cup of coffee for 45 minutes and then shush - out the door.

Yes. They have spent at least 3 weeks in Denmark. The 5th for Johns birthday, the 9th Mary's brother John and Frederik were at a concert, the 11th Jane at a regatta and now the 21st at the exhibition with the Queen.

Very nice that they can visit discreetly.
Agree Muhler, I think the Queen enjoys their company

(..)
Last night arrived a big smiling Queen Margrethe, side by side, with Crown Princess Mary's father and sister, John Donaldson and Jane Stephens, for the opening of the exhibition at the Amalienborg Museum.

Crown Princess Mary's father, sister and brother have been in Denmark for 3 weeks now, where they all have celebrated Princess Mary's father, John Donaldson, 75th birthday d. September 5, says Jane.

Jane says further that although they are often here in Denmark at their little sister, so they enjoy it to the fully each time.

And Her&Nu has now uploaded their pictures and article about Mary's family being in Denmark :flowers:

Jane tells about how they all were gathered at Mary to celebrate their dad's 75-years birthday. And she tells about her days at the regatta in Denmark's brilliant late-summer weather:

Pictures:
http://www.cdn.alt.dk/4ea81cc9983f47fd861a3e2d4f96c426/4cae95b6e6454923b085b15ca1facd6c.jpg
http://www.cdn.alt.dk/7b27421ec5504dea8348fe045d797e62/97a59da08f22482e9ccaaef3e0ef5801.jpg
http://www.cdn.alt.dk/8a81aee4e2b04eafad2b74d1b1f0c822/5177b7aaf55f4233b5aa7d9c6a4c6045.jpg

Article:
Jane Stephens til World Rowing Masters Regatta - Her og nu

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #39, 2016.
Written by Trine Larsen.

Mary hosted the birthday celebration of her father, John Donaldson, at Amalienborg on the 5th September.
Present were also her sister, Jane Stephens.

Both had arrived a few days before.

There are no mentioning of Susan Moody or other members of the Donaldson clan.

BB spoke to John Donaldson when he and Jane, went with QMII to open an exhibition at Amalienborg.
He was congratulated and replied laughingly: "Thank you very much".
The birthday party went well: "Thanks, it went really well and it was really nice to be celebrated here in Denmark.
Denmark is close to being one of ma favorite countries".

Another and well-illustrated article show how they went with QMII to the exhibition, strolling across the square. And that QMII gave them a tour of the exhibition. After being presented with a book about the exhibition John Donaldson and Jane strolled across the square to the mansion used by M&F where they let themselves in.

Last edited:
Today, we learned that Crown Princess Mary's family are still enjoying family time with F&M and children in Denmark. Or at least Mary's father, John Donaldson :flowers:

In a group to support the Danish Royal Family the Facebook user, Connie Andersen, has just posted this:

"I met Mr. John Donaldson in Magasin , Copenhagen today. I said hello to him and told him, that he has the most wonderful daughter in the world ( that is after my son of course :))"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/21624055569/permalink/10157479942420570/

Last edited:
I would like to post a Google view of Jane's house in Hobart, since that is a place where Mary go fairly often and where she can be expected to come regularly in the future.
I'm curious as to the general layout of the area.

But I don't know where it is, can someone help me with the name of the street or the name of the local neighbourhood?

I won't point out the actual house itself, the readers can figure that out themselves - it's hardly a secret anyway.

Also, do anyone know where M&F stayed during the 2011 visit to Hobart? They rented a fairly big house, where is that located?

Here's a link Muhler, to the rented 1915 house that was a short walk from Mary's sister's home - with a very detailed description, the floor-plan, and 22 photos of the house and garden.

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-tas-west+hobart-107647051

Last edited:
Which of Mary's two sisters did Frederik meet first: Jane or Patricia?

Has anyone read anything about Mary’s father or stepmother lately.
I haven’t seen anything hope all is ok

Not a word.

But if they land in Hamburg, Germany or Malmö, Sweden. They can creep under the radar and arrive virtually unnoticed.

I still find it strange we haven’t seen him in a long time. I hope all is ok and we see him with his family soon

Princess Mary has 1 brother and 2 sisters and several nephews and nieces.

Jane Alison Donaldson is married to Craig Stefens and has 3 children:
  • Erin Stefens
  • Alexander Stefens
  • Kate Stefens

Patricia Anne Donaldson has been married twice and has three children.

From his marriage to Ken Woods, she has two children:
  • Michael Woods
  • Madison Woods

From his second marriage to Scott Bailey, she has one son:
  • Molly Bailey

John Stuart Donaldson is married to Leanne and has a son in common:
  • Michelle Donaldson (born 2000).

Last edited:
I hope Mary will soon get an opportunity to celebrate him. Perhaps they had planned a short trip to Australia this summer?

Billed Bladet has an article about what Mary's family is doing these days:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/kronprinsesse-marys-tre-soeskende-det-laver-de-nu

Jane Alison Stephens is a pharmacist and co-owner of a juice bar, Juice Boost.
Her husband, Craig Stephens is an accountant. They have three children.
Jane is also a fitness instructor.

Patricia Anne Bailey is married to Scott Bailey, together they have a daughter. Patricia has two children from a previous marriage.
She works as a nurse at Royal Hobart Hospital. Like her older sister, she is a fitness instructor. (The article to me suggests that while qualified, Jane is not active as an instructor.)

Both sisters have worked as ambassadors for Ovarian Cancer Australia.
Jane is also ambassador for Go Red for Women Tasmanian Heart Foundation.
Jane has with her business partner taken part in Say No to Bullying.

Both sisters have on behalf of Mary and Crown Princess Mary Scholarship presented grants to Danish exchange students at University of Tasmania.

While the sisters live in Hobart, John Donaldson live far away in Perth.
He is a geologist and works as a manager for the Gold Road Resources.
With lives with his wife, Leanne and he has two daughters.

In the article is a link to a video of the sisters talking about their commitment to Ovarian Cancer Australia.

Last edited:
Muhler
While the sisters live in Hobart, John Donaldson live far away in Perth.
He is a geologist and works as a manager for the Gold Road Resources.
With his wife, Cherie, he has two daughters.
Correction: John's wife is Leanne. They have 2 daughters: Cherie (26) and Michelle (21).
IIRC Cherie is not John's biological daughter, but from a previous relationship of Leanne.

I've been looking at Mary and Frederik's wedding guest list, and I have a question.
Mary's father thinks he has a brother and a sister.
And Mary's mother had siblings?

I've been looking at Mary and Frederik's wedding guest list, and I have a question.

Based on the wedding, I'd say no she had no siblings. But then again perhaps they simply didn't attend because of distance or such. I cant find anything on Henrietta Donaldson other then her parents' names.

Peter Donaldson is John's older brother. And John Pugh who was listed on the guest list is married to John's younger sister Roy.

These are the people listed as her family on the guest list. There are some I don't know, but her mother's maiden name was Clarke Horne and I don't see any obvious ones.

Professor John and Mrs Susan Donaldson
Mr Craig and Mrs Jane Stephens
Mr Alexander Stephens (theatre and wedding ceremony only)
Miss Erin Stephens (theatre and wedding ceremony only)
Miss Kate Stephens (theatre and wedding ceremony only)
Mr Scott and Mrs Patricia Bailey
Mr Michael Woods (theatre and wedding ceremony only)
Miss Maddison Woods (theatre and wedding ceremony only
Mr John Stuart and Mrs Leanne Donaldson
Mr Ben Moody
Mrs Margaret Cunningham née Donaldson
Mr Peter and Mrs Alison Donaldson née Thompson
Miss Alison Donaldson
Mrs Catherine Murray
Dr Roy Pugh née Donaldson and Mr John Pugh
Mr Jack Maton and Mrs Barbara Maton née Allan
Mr and Mrs Brendon Johncock née Jacqueline Donaldson
Dr and Mrs Barry O'Grady
Mr and Mrs Derek Syme
Mrs Andrew Weitnauer
Mrs Margaret Howard née Donaldson (theatre and wedding ceremony only)

Last edited:

Based on the wedding, I'd say no she had no siblings. But then again perhaps they simply didn't attend because of distance or such. I cant find anything on Henrietta Donaldson other then her parents' names.

Mr Ben Moody
Miss Alison Donaldson
Mrs Catherine Murray
Dr and Mrs Barry O'Grady
Mr and Mrs Derek Syme
Mrs Andrew Weitnauer

The aunt is Mrs Catherine Murray.

From a post in this thread:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/ingrid63/b4.jpg

"On the wedding night, Mary threw her bouquet to the oldest of the family and the day after, her aunt Catherine Murray flew home to Scotland with it, where she placed it on Mary's mothers grave per Mary's wishes. "

Yes, Catherine Murray is the elder sister of Mary's mother. According to post#51 in this thread she is the matriarch of the maternal family and she was also invited to Christian's christening in 2006: https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...ss-mary-the-donaldsons-2470-3.html#post496097
"Matriarch of the family" to me sounds like there are more relatives.
While I can identify most people on the guest list (and the members of the Donaldson clan who changed name by marriage are pretty obvious), I have no idea who those few are, could be relatives from the mother's side :
Dr and Mrs Barry O'Grady
Mr and Mrs Derek Syme
Mrs Andrew Weitnauer

Last edited:

Peter Donaldson is John's older brother. And John Pugh who was listed on the guest list is married to John's younger sister Roy.

These are the people listed as her family on the guest list. There are some I don't know, but her mother's maiden name was Clarke Horne and I don't see any obvious ones.

Mr Ben Moody
Miss Alison Donaldson
Mrs Catherine Murray
Dr and Mrs Barry O'Grady
Mr and Mrs Derek Syme
Mrs Andrew Weitnauer

Roy and John Pugh have children?

Yes exactly Catherine Murray is Mary's maternal aunt, sister of Mary's mother.

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...-2021-borders-closed-coronavirus-b857365.html

I'm so sad on behalf of Mary and her family.
As I understand it Australia's borders are closed until the year 2022?
Australians can not travel out of the country and tourists can not travel in?
Is it correct?

If that is correct it means that Mary can’t see her siblings until the year 2022. I think a good part of the reason the Crown Prince family decided to postponed Prince Christian's confirmation until next year was because so his mother's family could attend, but right now it does not seem that they under any circumstances get the opportunity to attend Christian's confirmation next year either.

Likewise, it does not seem that Mary can celebrate Christmas with her family this year either.

Mary's father, John Donaldson and Susan live both in England and France so the CP-family can see Grandpa and Susan.
Unfortunately for Mary's siblings, they can not see their father until the year 2022 - which is a long time when you are up in that age.

Or have I completely misunderstood Australia's information?

Back
Top Bottom