The Family of Crown Princess Mary - The Donaldsons

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back to Janine Allis, I thought she resembled the Donaldson girls in the way she spoke compared to Mary and Jane, who are the only two that I have heard speak...It was just the articulation and speech patterns I thought combined with dark hair and eyes that made them seem similar...

As for Mary and Marie, I do think they are similar, they have similar birthdates too...But I think they are similar like siblings are similar, not identical but they share characteristics...I don't even think Mary, Jane and Patricia look similar, they are all different, it is only when you find out they are sisters that you can pick up on similarities and I guess that is where the look-alike speculation comes from between Mary and Marie...

I've read an interview in BB where Queen Margrethe has said that they are not similar at all.
As I remember she said that she just adores Mary and hat she is very curageous.

She also states on another occasion that Mary is not afraid of anything - I think in the 11 hour tv documentary -series in connection to a special trip crossing the north pole or something special. I'm sorry I can't recall it moore accurate.

I would assume they were invited as they were in town. What are their relations with QM?

There is a thread about this at the Scandinavian Royals Message Board - The Scandinavian Royals Message Board: Re: Queen Margrethe at the funeral of former Lady in waiting Marianne Boel - where Stig among others replies that the Donaldson got to know the late Marianne Boel well during the CP wedding in 2004 and that it was actually Marianne Boel who accompanied Susan Moody to the church for the wedding.

I came to write something here about the fact that Jane Stephen's birthday is 26 December...close to the date we were wishing the twins were born and then they were born about 2 weeks after Jane's birthday...nice coincidence...

I also wanted to say something about QMII comments about Mary being courageous...I would be too if I had people to impress because if you say no to something, be it making a speech, travelling to Afghanistan, swimming in the ocean, downhill skiing, anything, you will be marked forever as someone not to bother with...I think Mary has to be up for anything and everything and try anything once to demonstrate flair, individuality, bravery and set an example to everyone and the public to show what's possible..It's an 'Anyone can do it!' attitude...

Yes, AAThing, people watching must be a huge incentive to 'have a go', for Mary or anyone in that situation. I do think Mary is a brave type, after all, she took on life in the DRF and all that entails. It surely has it's perks, and also drawbacks. She does not strike me as a whimp!!

Jane Stephens and Trish Bailey, Princess Mary's sisters,pose on the Opera House steps just after its sails were illuminated for Teal Ribbon Day in honor of women who have lost the battle with ovarian cancer on February 22, 2011 in Sydney, Australia.

Getty Images - Browser non supportato rilevato

:previous:

Great legs run in the family :ROFLMAO:
Good for them.

My, Mary's sisters are tall!

:previous:

Well Jane is very tall. Patricia is about Mary's height, even a wee bit smaller maybe, and since Mary is 172 cm, yes she is not of a petite kind like Letizia or Marie, but not really a tall woman like her big sister Jane who is taller than 182cm Queen Margrethe.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if The Donaldsons live in Denmark?

I would like to post a Google view of Jane's house in Hobart, since that is a place where Mary go fairly often and where she can be expected to come regularly in the future.
I'm curious as to the general layout of the area.

But I don't know where it is, can someone help me with the name of the street or the name of the local neighbourhood?

I won't point out the actual house itself, the readers can figure that out themselves - it's hardly a secret anyway.

Also, do anyone know where M&F stayed during the 2011 visit to Hobart? They rented a fairly big house, where is that located?

Hi Muhler, I'm newly joined and saw your request re the location of Jane's house in Hobart. I was going to give you the address, but saw the forum rules about not doing that. It is easy to find though. I found it in the White Pages when I took an interest in CP Mary's visit last year. (I'm from Tasmania, though have not lived there for 25 years. There where lots of clues to its location in the local, Tasmanian, newspapers and then being from Tas I thought, you know, I bet Jane is still in the phone book - and she was. Still is, just checked again, and re-checked Google Maps where there are some photos posted giving you an idea of her wonderful views. Tasmanians are very down to earth - all Aussies are - and everyone is "low-key" re Mary, though she is very well respected, even loved, and people, women especially, take an interest in her life. But being part of the Commonwealth we've all grown up on our own Royal Family all our lives, and we are not the type of people to go "gaga" over anyone, we just wish her well and love it when she visits.Tasmania's two main newspapers are "The Mercury" in Hobart and "The Examiner" in Launceston. I found the "fairly big house" in Google Images via the Mercury and remember reading last year that it wasn't too far from Jane's place. Also found via Google Maps Jane's place on the East Coast. I'm not sure if you're able to now find the house, if you have access in the Northern Hemisphere to our phone directory or not. If you still can't locate it, let me know and I'll point out the surrounding streets etc. Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks, Madame Royale :)

Then they are unlikely to return to this house in the future.

And thanks Sun Lion for your description of Australian mentality and for the restroom anecdote you told about in another thread. Such little encunters are always interesting and funny to hear about.
And congratulations on your first posts. :flowers:

Thank you Muhler for the encouragement re my posts. I've tried to do the "Members Introduction" three times and can't get it to go. Thought my avatar had too many pixels, but have now fixed that and still can't do it. Hoping my avatar turns up with this post - a photo I took of Mary when she was in Oz last year. Cheers, Sun Lion.

Thank you Muhler for the encouragement re my posts. I've tried to do the "Members Introduction" three times and can't get it to go. Thought my avatar had too many pixels, but have now fixed that and still can't do it. Hoping my avatar turns up with this post - a photo I took of Mary when she was in Oz last year. Cheers, Sun Lion.

:previous:Hello Sun Lion.
thats a loving picture you took of Mary.
thank you for your "first hand" accounts :flowers:

:previous:Hello Sun Lion.
thats a loving picture you took of Mary.
thank you for your "first hand" accounts :flowers:

Hi polyesco. I seem to have been following CP Mary around the last few times she's been to Australia. Shortly after her time in Adelaide I was there visiting my brothers-in-law who live not far from where she and her good girlfriend Amber were together - having lunch and for Amber's birthday party. Then after seeing her in Sydney - (I'll post details re that experience under a thread from that time) - I was in Melbourne shortly after her, and then in Hobart just after she left there and finally I ended up in Sorrento on a trip with one of my Victorian cousins I hadn't seen for years, and we, along with my happily compliant husband, followed in the footsteps of her well-reported shopping day there. When the reports of her day shopping first came out, I went to Google Maps and thought how could anyone spend a day in that little place - basically one street. (That is - one shopping street.) But then, out of the blue, I was there, and it did take a day. (I'll have to check if we were at the same cafe as she.) Cheers, Sun Lion.

(I'll have to check if we were at the same cafe as she.) Cheers, Sun Lion.[/QUOTE]

Just checked Google Maps and yes, we ate at the same place - "The Sisters Kitchen Garden Cafe". The photo on Google Maps doesn't show how it looks now - tables, chairs, sun umbrellas and plants set up to the footpath, as well as a big indoor area running the length of the building. Most popular place in town. We actually waited quite a while outside for an empty table - lots of people were doing breakfast - and the crowds didn't stop, very busy. We were only there for a morning coffee and a snack but we lingered as it was so nice. Lots of plants growing in big old wooden tubs and barrows in amongst the tables. (I didn't realise at the time it was the same cafe.) Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just been wandering around Google Images and seen that CP Mary, with Frederick, had lunch at the "Blue Train" in Southbank, Melbourne - way back on their trip in 2006.

Nostalgic for Mary as this was a place she used to go to for lunch, in her working days in that city before meeting Frederick.

It's still going strong.

I have been there quite a bit - last year and this - for brekkie, on trips to Melbourne.

Small world again.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

I would like to post a Google view of Jane's house in Hobart, since that is a place where Mary go fairly often and where she can be expected to come regularly in the future.
I'm curious as to the general layout of the area.

But I don't know where it is, can someone help me with the name of the street or the name of the local neighbourhood?

I won't point out the actual house itself, the readers can figure that out themselves - it's hardly a secret anyway.

Also, do anyone know where M&F stayed during the 2011 visit to Hobart? They rented a fairly big house, where is that located?

Hi Muhler. A little late but I’m just catching up on my reading, anyway as Sun Lion said you can find Jane’s address in the Tasmanian telephone directory it’s pretty easy to find on Google Maps.

Also if your interested in seeing inside part of Jane’s home it was used in the movie “Arctic Blast’ starring Canadian actor Michael Shanks, the film was shot in and around Hobart in 2010.

When Michael Shanks (can’t remember his screen name offhand) and his screen daughter return to their home, both the outside and a small part of the inside are pretty recognizable.

Cheers Trinity

Hi Muhler. A little late but I’m just catching up on my reading, anyway as Sun Lion said you can find Jane’s address in the Tasmanian telephone directory it’s pretty easy to find on Google Maps.

Also if your interested in seeing inside part of Jane’s home it was used in the movie “Arctic Blast’ starring Canadian actor Michael Shanks, the film was shot in and around Hobart in 2010.

When Michael Shanks (can’t remember his screen name offhand) and his screen daughter return to their home, both the outside and a small part of the inside are pretty recognizable.

Cheers Trinity

Sorry for my late reply.
Thank you, Trinity for your input. :)

Scholarships a crowning glory

...Yesterday Mrs Stephens presented $2000 cheques to three Danish students at the University of Tasmania, the latest winners of the Crown Princess Mary Scholarships.

Mrs Stephens said she was very happy to support the scholarships, awarded each year to Australian university students in Denmark and Danish students in Tasmania…
Full article & picture

I think its great that Mary's sisters are able to contribute even in a small way to some of the things that Mary is involved in. Patricia I believe has done a few things in the past as well.

Scholarships a crowning glory

...Yesterday Mrs Stephens presented $2000 cheques to three Danish students at the University of Tasmania, the latest winners of the Crown Princess Mary Scholarships.

Mrs Stephens said she was very happy to support the scholarships, awarded each year to Australian university students in Denmark and Danish students in Tasmania…
Full article & picture

Thanks dazzling :flowers:

Jane looks good and the weather looks just lovely (said by a Dane who hungers for the spring) ;)

In the article Jane says that Mary is not expected to visit her birthplace any time soon. I had actually thought that Mary, Frederik and the children would visit Tasmania again late in this year. IIRC, they usually visit Mary's family about once every two years, don't they? But again, by the 'any time soon' can means not in the next few months. I'm a bit curious as to when the next family visit will be :)

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #22, 2013.
Marys søster uddelte legater - Mary's sister handed out grants.
Written by Marianne Singer.

Jane Stephens recently presented the annual grants to three Danish students at University of Tasmania. The Crown Princess Mary Scholarship, to be exact. Each for 2.000 Australian Dollars.

However Jane also told that there are no plans of Mary visiting Tasmania for some time.

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #24, 2013.

Where a C. Petersen express concern about John Donaldson since it's so long since we have seen him.

Jon Bloch Skipper reassures that John Donaldson is alive and well. In fact he has just finished two weeks as a guest lecturer at Sorø Academy, teaching mathematics.
He has previously taught at the posh boarding school of Herlufsholm as well.

Last edited:
:previous:thank you Roskilde for sharing these:flowers:

Love the ones of Mary traveling.
And the last one of all four siblings lined up, I think Josephine looks a bit like little John in that pic

Back
Top Bottom