The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
Out of curiosity - what more is it you would like her to do then? Can you mention something concrete?
I would like to see her getting involved in more uncomfortable issues like immigration for example. Forgive my ignorance but as far as I know Denmark has quite strict laws when it comes to immigration. She could be more active in this field by being a role model for both sides - for the Danish and the immigrants. After all, Mary is an immigrant herself - though a very privileged one. This is just one spontaneous example, but I am sure there many others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
This is a bit ironical that some people say how important the crown princesses's work is while they are talking about their clothes, shoes and jewelleries. It seems that the most interesting topic in the whole royal forum what the princesses wear. IMO, clothes and shoes receive too much attention. We must read over and over again how stunning , beautiful the princesses are. Before long, it gets very tiring and boring. Many people interest alone royal ladies' physical appearance and apparel in stead of their works. Mary's public image gives the impression that she is very intersted in fashion and trendy clothes. This is the reason why students and houswives keep analyseing which designer outfit the crown princesses wear. By the way, Mary should follow Mette-Marit and Letizia's example. MM's style is simple, Letizia recycles a lot. Mary wears almost brand-new outfits for each occasion and she just recycles rarely. She should wear more simpler and classic suits instead of fashionable and trendy clothes.
I also do agree to this. I think she recycles a lot, but even than most poeple are more interested in the way she has worn a certain dress twice or more and not in what the occasion was really about.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
This is a bit ironical that some people say how important the crown princesses's work is while they are talking about their clothes, shoes and jewelleries. It seems that the most interesting topic in the whole royal forum what the princesses wear. IMO, clothes and shoes receive too much attention. We must read over and over again how stunning , beautiful the princesses are. Before long, it gets very tiring and boring. Many people interest alone royal ladies' physical appearance and apparel in stead of their works. Mary's public image gives the impression that she is very intersted in fashion and trendy clothes. This is the reason why students and houswives keep analyseing which designer outfit the crown princesses wear. By the way, Mary should follow Mette-Marit and Letizia's example. MM's style is simple, Letizia recycles a lot. Mary wears almost brand-new outfits for each occasion and she just recycles rarely. She should wear more simpler and classic suits instead of fashionable and trendy clothes.
Mary should wear exactly what she wants to wear and not what another Royal wears. I personally don't like MM style, but I wouldn't tell her what to wear. Mary and MM are two different people -- even if they were sisters from the same country (Sweden anyone) they should not have to dress the same. Besides, Mary is doing her country quite a service wearing designer clothes produced there -- who the heck ever heard of many Denmark designers prior to Mary? Who really cared all thst much about Denmark's Royals prior to Mary (Grace Kelly anyone). Mary is doing just fine and I applaud her for giving up her country for a man she obviously loves to do a thankless job that she knows will always get criticized no matter what she does or wears -- so she might as well please herself and her husband -- which she does quite well.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
I would like to see her getting involved in more uncomfortable issues like immigration for example. Forgive my ignorance but as far as I know Denmark has quite strict laws when it comes to immigration. She could be more active in this field by being a role model for both sides - for the Danish and the immigrants. After all, Mary is an immigrant herself - though a very privileged one. This is just one spontaneous example, but I am sure there many others.
She is involved in such an uncomfortable issue, which is quit daring as Denmark, as you note, has strict laws when it comes to immigrants (laws I do not favor!)

For documentation you can read this link to DRW:
Danish Royal Watchers: Mary @ Integration prize 2007

And this from the municipality of Odense:

Odense Kommune - HKH Kronprinsesse Mary besøger Vollsmose for tredje gang

The last one is in danish, but in short it states that Mary is visiting a part of Odense, which is the fourth largest town in Denmark, called "Volsmose" for the third time. Volsmose is notorious for its problems with integration. About 10.000 people are living there and about 6.500 comes frome other countryes then Denmark. The employmentrate is higher there then averadge and so is the crimerate.

And this is an artikle from her first visit in 2006 and please look at the foto
If someone was welcomed - it was her. She is recognised for what she is doing for people living in Denmark of other nationalities than danish. Futheremore she has managed to walk the razor-sharp edge of beeing involved without mingeling into domestic politics - which is IMO - ingenious. This shows: She has got the stuff to be the future Queen of Denmark.

http://www.pttekst.dk/images/uploads/4sider-0-06.pdf

And her lady-in-wating is of African descent - what more do you want? Should she do like Michael Jackson but the other way around?

So as she is allready doing something in the area you call for, what do you then want her to do more?
Old 06-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Lilla, thank you for this information. I have not heard anything about Mary visiting Volsmosse. This is interesting, and I do agree that working with causes that help immigrants would be an excellent fit for Mary.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Royal Highness

Lilla, thanks for all the info

Naggi, not meaning to sound rude, but... .how much research did you actually do on Mary's activities before you started critizing her for not doing enough worthwhile tasks?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 AM
Aristocracy

Well, Mary has a PR and Marketing background and knows about the power of images. She has been seen on many charity events and is patron of a lot of foundations. But : being there does not mean she is doing a lot of work for this issues. Being the patron means: you are the cover girl for this issue more or less. The real work is done by other people who may not be polished and stylish and do not get any regards for that in this forum because they work in the background. What I do not like is that often people confuse outer looks with an wonderful and caring character. I really think that Mary is interested in her patronages , but I have the impression she is more interested in fashion and lifestyle.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santacruz View Post
I really think that Mary is interested in her patronages , but I have the impression she is more interested in fashion and lifestyle.
A person overly interested in fashion would be rather dead than be photographed like that with her kid in a public place:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m.../080419251.jpg

And there were even "worse" pics from another outing:

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...ristian-1b.jpg

She is not photographed doing sports or in her backgarden, that's how she went out with her kids...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
A person overly interested in fashion would be rather dead than be photographed like that with her kid in a public place:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m.../080419251.jpg

And there were even "worse" pics from another outing:

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...ristian-1b.jpg

She is not photographed doing sports or in her backgarden, that's how she went out with her kids...
I agree, her children and husband have always come first over fashion. I am sure that the same people criticizing her fashion clothes will now analyze her lack of "princess look" while enjoying outings with her children.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:40 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I agree, her children and husband have always come first over fashion. I am sure that the same people criticizing her fashion clothes will now analyze her lack of "princess look" while enjoying outings with her children.
Her love for Fred and her children was not questioned.
The work for the foundations is done by the people in the background: the speeches, the events, the workshops, the organisation, the sponsorship, the marketing, the PR. Mary is there to launch,smile, look good and hold flowers and that's it pretty much. (Which may have positive effect for the charities and foundations but it is a bit silly to describe it as wonderful work.....) . Plus for 1 hour of event there is probably a preparation time of min. 3 hours necessary ( hairdresser , stylist, make-up artist plus secretary or lady-in-waiting telling her what will happen the day )....
Old 06-11-2008, 05:48 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The work for the foundations is done by the people in the background: the speeches, the events, the workshops, the organisation, the sponsorship, the marketing, the PR. Mary is there to launch,smile, look good and hold flowers and that's it pretty much. (Which may have positive effect for the charities and foundations but it is a bit silly to describe it as wonderful work.....) . Plus for 1 hour of event there is probably a preparation time of min. 3 hours necessary ( hairdresser , stylist, make-up artist plus secretary or lady-in-waiting telling her what will happen the day )....
And according to the template you always use for comments about Mary, I bet that you will claim - and believe - that this is only true for Mary - whereas other royals are sincere, well-meaning and industrious in their efforts .... right....
Old 06-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Mary is there to launch,smile, look good and hold flowers and that's it pretty much.
Maybe this is your view on what a patron of an organization should do but it certainly doesn't mean Mary shares it and regardless of how many statements you make implying otherwise you have no idea how much or how little she is involved behind the scenes.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Mary is there to launch,smile, look good and hold flowers and that's it pretty much. (Which may have positive effect for the charities and foundations but it is a bit silly to describe it as wonderful work.....) . Plus for 1 hour of event there is probably a preparation time of min. 3 hours necessary ( hairdresser , stylist, make-up artist plus secretary or lady-in-waiting telling her what will happen the day )....
Do you have any documentation for this claim?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
Lilla, thanks for all the info

Naggi, not meaning to sound rude, but... .how much research did you actually do on Mary's activities before you started critizing her for not doing enough worthwhile tasks?
You are not being rude, UserDane :-) I understand that this topic is a diffucult one. Well, I read and follow the news - just as any other non-royals do, I guess :-)

I am not critizing WHAT she is doing, I am trying to differentiate in HOW she is doing it - which is, to my opinion, not enough as she doesn't go further than to present a trophy or play with children or open a conference. SHE is in the centre of all this and NOT the cause (as mentioned before by others I think).

I have the impression that some people in this forum think, that only because Mary visits a "difficult" district or presents an integration prize, she is an activist to be admired or that she is touching inconvenient topics. Well, this is only partly the case. I am sure all her organisations are noble and worthy to be represented by her. But as Santacruz mentioned before, it is not Mary who is doing the "job". This is done by others.

When it comes to integration matters for example, I wished she would be more active on subjects like the difficulties in learning a new language or coping with a new culture. She could try to raise understanding for the situation of immigrants by doing that. Because she would than not appear as a princess but as an immigrant herself. She could see herself more as a bridge between immigrants and the Danes. She could demonstrately visit those countries from where the immigrants come from and try to raise cultural awareness within the Danish society for others. Queen Beatrix and Princess Maxima did this when they visited Turkey a couple of years ago and also stayed in "non-tourist" places and cities from where it was known that some immigrated to the Netherlands. To be honest, this impressed me.

When I think of the late Princess Diana or Queen Rania, for example, I not only think of glamour, scandals and fashion - I also do think of landmines, AIDS, poverty and women's rights. Diana was and Rania is quite active here.
When I think Mary, I only think of fashion and style. For someone who is as highly educated as Mary is, this canot be enough.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
If there was not these high profile people donating their time to many of these foundations the monies would not come in to help find a cure. I could care less if it took 5 hours for her to get ready if it brought in more money. Let's just keep her locked in her castle then we can wonder what she is doing and critcize her all we want. When you have a disease that can spread more at any time and kill you, you are grateful for anyone helping out. Even a beautiful princess who cares enough to share her time.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
IWhen it comes to integration matters for example, I wished she would be more active on subjects like the difficulties in learning a new language or coping with a new culture. She could try to raise understanding for the situation of immigrants by doing that. Because she would than not a appear as a princess but as an immigrant herself. She could see herself more as a bridge between immigrants and the Danes.
If she did this she would be interfering into either domestic politic og domestic affairs. The first is for the politisians to legislate within and the latter is for the public servants at the administrative level to carry out. If Mary began to involve herselfe on these levels she would indid do a tremendous mistake
Old 06-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
But as Santacruz mentioned before, it is not Mary who is doing the "job". This is done by others.
I said this to Santacruz and I will say it again to you, you do not know what job Mary does behind the scenes, how involved she is. Maybe she doesn't see them from one event to another but we don't know either way.

Quote:
When I think of the late Princess Diana or Queen Rania, for example, I not only think of glamour, scandals and fashion - I also do think of landmines, AIDS, poverty and women's rights. Diana was and Rania is quite active here.
When I think Mary, I only think of fashion and style. For someone who is as highly educated as Mary is, this can be no compliment.
Yet when I think of Diana, I think of a manipulative, mentally unstable woman, Rania to me is a woman who is, above all else, only interested in promoting herself. Did Diana do some wonderful things? Absolutely. Does Rania? Yes. Does the fact you see Mary as someone that is only interested in fashion and style mean that the work she is doing is ineffective and lacking. No it doesn't. It just means that Mary and her charities are working together in a way that fits for them which happens to differ from the way that you would do it.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
If she did this she would be interfering into either domestic politic og domestic affairs. The first is for the politisians to legislate within and the latter is for the public servants at the administrative level to carry out. If Mary began to involve herselfe on these levels she would indid do a tremendous mistake
I was not talking about getting involved in the political affairs. I am aware of what a parlamentarian-democtratic Monarchy expects from its royal family :-) However, you can cover these issues also from a cultural and a humanitarian aspect, which is - as I believe - a key representative sector of royal duties :-) Also, most royal houses in Europe (the one more, the other lesser) do have influential power though they are not the ones who decide.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Also, most royal houses in Europe (the one more, the other lesser) do have influential power though they are not the ones who decide.
The DRF do not take part in politics and do not express political opinions. See the reaction to Frederik's possible IOC membership for an good example of what happens when people think they are being too political.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Courtier

If I remember correctly Diana's and Raina's children are a little older than CP Mary. They seemed to stay closer to home when their children were much younger. Give her a chance to get her feet under her and find her way. She is doing a wonderful job so far. At least she is trying. That is more than some do for their country or sommunity. <Removed off topic questions and comments ~ GT>
Old 06-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
Maybe this is your view on what a patron of an organization should do but it certainly doesn't mean Mary shares it and regardless of how many statements you make implying otherwise you have no idea how much or how little she is involved behind the scenes.
I dare to say that it is a fact that none of us know how much work royals do behind the scenes. But when no one knows or sees or hears - who should care than? We are talking about public figures who even let us know that their children sleep in their bedrooms etc. (which is something private). Why than, not talking about their public good deeds? This makes no sense to me, as royals in Europe basically live from the sympathies of their people and therefore must be concerned that others know on their heavy workload they have in fullfilling their duties for the country. Especially in times, when they are being critized for being lazy (Frederik) or having an expensive/extravagant fashion taste (Mary).

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, frederik, mary, mary donaldson, patronages