Scandinavian Heirs Trip to Greenland: May 27-June 1, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I read somewhere that the Queen and Prince Henrik are alo going to Greenland ??

Yes, they are going to Greenland as well along with the CP Couple. But it's not the same trip as this one. Their trip is an official visit to celebrate the independance of Greenland.

How come Mette-Marit or Mary don't accompany the heirs on the trip?Should be a good event.x

Last edited by a moderator:
Love Frederiks jumper. :)
A wonderful event. Is there a plan of what they will be doing?
x

Nice pics Turkish Delight! I like Frederick's jumper too. He and Victoria are dressed very casual but Haakon is not cold with that suit? I've heard that Victoria love them as her big brothers and I think we can see that in pics.:flowers: Are they related? (although most of royal houses are related to each other)

Yes, they are going to Greenland as well along with the CP Couple. But it's not the same trip as this one. Their trip is an official visit to celebrate the independance of Greenland.

Well, its hardly the "independence of Greenland"...;)

Nice pics Turkish Delight! I like Frederick's jumper too. He and Victoria are dressed very casual but Haakon is not cold with that suit? I've heard that Victoria love them as her big brothers and I think we can see that in pics.:flowers: Are they related? (although most of royal houses are related to each other)

King Carl Gustav and Queen Margrethe are first cousins. Which I assume makes Frederik and Victoria Second Cousins?
King Carl Gustav and King Harald Of Norway are double third cousin and second cousin once removed. I have no idea what that makes Victoria and Haakon. But they are extremly close, like brothers and sisters.
x

Well, its hardly the "independence of Greenland"...;)

At the 24th of november 2008 Greenland had a refferendum on "independance". A yes meant that the Greenlandic people would be recognized in international legal sense. The Greenlandic language would be lifted up as the official language, and the Greenlanders would have absolute and sovereign power to decide themselves when the ties to Denmark are to be broken completely. The result of the refferendum was a qlear yes.​

This is what QMII, the Prince Consort and the CP Couple are going to Greenland to celebrate.​

But you are right Tricota. Greenland still lack to take the final step in breaking compleatly with Denmark - as it, IMO, is really bad business for them to loose the subsidies from the Danish state ;).​

At the 24th of november 2008 Greenland had a refferendum on "independance". A yes meant that the Greenlandic people would be recognized in international legal sense. The Greenlandic language would be lifted up as the official language, and the Greenlanders would have absolute and sovereign power to decide themselves when the ties to Denmark are to be broken completely. The result of the refferendum was a qlear yes.​

This is what QMII, the Prince Consort and the CP Couple are going to Greenland to celebrate.​

But you are right Tricota. Greenland still lack to take the final step in breaking compleatly with Denmark - as it, IMO, is really bad business for them to loose the subsidies from the Danish state ;).​

They have always had the right to say no to the Kingdom. All major decisions are still made in Copenhagen regarding political, security, defence, legal, social and financial matter and we still send a few billion dkr up there every year. So I still would not say that they are close to any kind of independence. A small step and a very long journey perhaps, but thats about it.

Is there a necessity for Greenland to break away from Denmark? The Kingdom of Denmark does not come across as an oppressive state.

ANP Beeldbank
(originally posted by TurkishDelight)
Crown Princes and Crown Princess seems to have a good time visiting Greenland. Prince Frederic looks tired. Prince Haakon is a personification of a true fairy tale Prince.

They have always had the right to say no to the Kingdom. All major decisions are still made in Copenhagen regarding political, security, defence, legal, social and financial matter and we still send a few billion dkr up there every year. So I still would not say that they are close to any kind of independence. A small step and a very long journey perhaps, but thats about it.

In my post I was refering to what is written in this article:

Grønlands store valg*| Kristeligt Dagblad

"Hvis Grønland stemmer ja, vil det grønlandske folk blive anerkendt i folkeretslig forstand. Det grønlandske sprog vil blive løftet op som det officielle sprog, og grønlænderne vil helt suverænt selv kunne afgøre, hvornår båndene til Danmark brydes helt, og Grønland kan kalde sig en selvstændigt nation, der geografisk vil blive det 13. største land i verden".

What exactly the new status of Greenland means regarding political, security, defence, legal, social and financial matter I do not know. But if you can direct me to an article or website that can expand the issue - I would be very pleased. I would also like you to dirict me to an article or website that supports the claim that they alwayes have had the right to say no to the Kingdom.

Is there a necessity for Greenland to break away from Denmark? The Kingdom of Denmark does not look like an oppressive state.

No, there is no necessity for Greenland to break away from Denmark if the only question was about Denmark being oppressive or not. But this is also about who has the right to utilise the mineral, oil and gas deposits in the subsoil of Greenland plus the ownership of the waters surrounding Greenland including the fishing-rights and rights to utilise the subsoil underneath the sea. So far it has been Denmark.

In this regard the Greenlanders newly gained sovereign power to decide themselves when the ties to Denmark are to be broken completely, is a very importand sovereign power.

As things are right now, it seems to me that Greenland is dependent on the Danish subsidies. So far it has not been economicly cost-effective to extract the ressources in the Greenlandic subsoil. One day it perhaps will be - when sufficient technological improvements has been done and when sufficient other deposits around the rest of the world has been drained. When or if that day comes Greenland can cut the ties to Denmark completely.

In my post I was refering to what is written in this article:

Grønlands store valg*| Kristeligt Dagblad

What exactly the new status of Greenland means regarding political, security, defence, legal, social and financial matter I do not know. But if you can direct me to an article or website that can expand the issue - I would be very pleased. I would also like you to dirict me to an article or website that supports the claim that they alwayes have had the right to say no to the Kingdom.

I know what you are refearing to. These issues however, has always been handled in Copenhagen and that will remain the same. They will be able to take over more issues, except for the once mentioned.

See -
Rigsfællesskabet - Udenrigsministeriet

As for Greenlands independence, I will refear to former Prime Minister Poul Nyrup Rasmussen, who openly said that Greenland could move to become independent whenever they wanted to, as long as they were prepared to pay for it themselfs.

Pic ANP

Crown Princess Victoria is seen during her visit to the Copenhagen University Polar Explorer station in Qeqertarsuaq, Greenland. Victoria commented the recent kidney transplant of her fiancé Daniel Westling. Foto Andrea Gjestvang ANP Beeldbank

I love seeing photos of the three royals together. They seem like they are very close friends, not just cousins, who really have fun together. I hope that their close relationship is passed on to their children, and that they grow up to become friends.

The three heirs looks very close. They are cousins of course. I wonder what language they use when they talk to each other?

The three heirs looks very close. They are cousins of course. I wonder what language they use when they talk to each other?

They aren't all cousins, not even Haakon and Victoria are 1st cousins. But they are as close and brothers and sisters.
Good to finally get some pictures.
x

It looks like they are having a good time together. It is too bad that their spouses/fiance couldn't come along. Thank you for all of the photos!

It looks like they are having a good time together. It is too bad that their spouses/fiance couldn't come along. Thank you for all of the photos!

Is there any reason why the spouses/fiancee couldn't come?
x

It's great to see how connected they are!!!

They speak in their respective languages, as most Scandinavians do when they speak among themselves. Crown Prince Frederik speaks Danish, Crown Princess Victoria speaks Swedish and Crown Prince Haakon speaks Norwegian.

Are the Scandinavian languages that similar that they each understand each others or have they learned each others??? Sorry just curious I assumed it would be French or English that the spoke to each other in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom