Scandinavian Heirs Trip to Greenland: May 27-June 1, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Norwegian, Swedish and Danish is rather similar.

Thanks for the explanation about the languages.
So they understand one another while using their own 'dialects'.
I know theirs are three languages, so I shouldn't use the term 'dialect'

The Scandinavian languages are considered different languages, but in many ways they are dialects of the same, and for the most part they are mutually intelligible. There are quite a lot of false friends one should be aware of, but many of these are learnt as one grows up and come across usage of all three languages. How well one understands the other Scandinavian languages than your own differ from how much contact you have with the other two, but it is expected that if you known one of the languages you understand all three.

I remember from a tv-show from the heirs trip to Svalbard that Crown Prince Frederik describes their trip as ”hyggelig” and then says ”or mysit in Swedish”.

The heirs have known each other since they were children and are used to communicating with each other in their own languages. That being said, language barriers that may arise are usually a source of fun and goodhearted teasing.

Is there any reason why the spouses/fiancee couldn't come?
x

I'm not really sure why they didn't come along. We know that Daniel, Victoria's fiance had a kidney operation, so it is understandable that he wouldn't be able to travel. I know that CP Mary and Mette-Marit are both very busy, so perhaps their schedules prevented them from being able to attend.

Personally I am very glad that the three Cp are able to be together for a working engagements, they always have other social events that would include their spouses.
I just wish they (the three CP) would find some sort of working engagement that would also include CP Felipe of Spain & CP Phillipe of Belgium as well as W-A of the Netherlands

The Scandinavian languages are considered different languages, but in many ways they are dialects of the same, and for the most part they are mutually intelligible. There are quite a lot of false friends one should be aware of, but many of these are learnt as one grows up and come across usage of all three languages. How well one understands the other Scandinavian languages than your own differ from how much contact you have with the other two, but it is expected that if you known one of the languages you understand all three.

I remember from a tv-show from the heirs trip to Svalbard that Crown Prince Frederik describes their trip as ”hyggelig” and then says ”or mysit in Swedish”.

The heirs have known each other since they were children and are used to communicating with each other in their own languages. That being said, language barriers that may arise are usually a source of fun and goodhearted teasing.

Thank you for the detailed explanations, vestfoldlilja.

I don't think that Frederik, Victoria and Haakon did't that much on there trip to Greenland.

Nanna
www.kronprinsesse-mary.dk

Well to be honest I think you are right they did not stop even one tiny piece of a glacier from melting but they did manage to get a few people talking about the environment and maybe they will talk to a few more who will talk to someone else and maybe some of the people talking will make small changes in their life that will affect their carbon footprint. So maybe they did something good even if looking at them it seems like they did very little.

I don't think that Frederik, Victoria and Haakon did't that much on there trip to Greenland.

Nanna
www.kronprinsesse-mary.dk

I think your right, for all the hype about it I thought they would have done more around Greenland. They only visited a few people and places, nothing major on a trip supposedly to talk about climate change.

Nothing major whatsoever - neither in terms of the actual program, nor in terms of providing good photo opportunities that could visualize the alleged purpose of the trip and used by the media to illustrate a trip about climate change... they didn't.
Scandinavian newspapers reported that they had their own chef traveling with them thoigh, so they must at least have had nice dinners...
I think it's not too far-fetched to consider the possibility that the timing of the trip was not coincidental: Perhaps a smoke screen for the surgery taking place parallely in Stockholm, which was originally planned to be kept totally secret.

I think it's not too far-fetched to consider the possibility that the timing of the trip was not coincidental: Perhaps a smoke screen for the surgery taking place parallely in Stockholm, which was originally planned to be kept totally secret.

Was it?
I suppose it is a possibility.

The Danish flag in the last picture made me smile. :)

I am sorry to be the one to make you stop smiling Lumutqueen, but it is not the Danish flag. It is the flag of Greenland :flowers:

The flag of Greenland is in the front of this picture and Dannebrog is in the back.

I know what you are refearing to. These issues however, has always been handled in Copenhagen and that will remain the same. They will be able to take over more issues, except for the once mentioned.

See -
Rigsfællesskabet - Udenrigsministeriet

As for Greenlands independence, I will refear to former Prime Minister Poul Nyrup Rasmussen, who openly said that Greenland could move to become independent whenever they wanted to, as long as they were prepared to pay for it themselfs.

Thanks for the link Tricota.

What you write in this post isn't quit right though:

All major decisions are still made in Copenhagen regarding political, security, defence, legal, social and financial matter and we still send a few billion dkr up there every year.

According to the link you provided to the Danish Foreign Ministry, Greenland will still be a member of the Danish Realm, hench some issues will not be undertaken by Greenland itselfe.

These issues are:
The constitution of the state, foreign policy, defence- and security policy, High Court, citizenship plus currency- and monetary policy.

It is not all major decisions regarding political, legal, social and financial matters as you state.

Actually the spand - between your statement and what in fact is in effect regarding the independance of Greenland according to the Danish Foreign Ministry - is huge.

As for this claim of yours:
They have always had the right to say no to the Kingdom.

I would like some more solid documentation then your version of former Prime Minister Poul Nyrup Rasmussens words.

I am sorry to be the one to make you stop smiling Lumutqueen, but it is not the Danish flag. It is the flag of Greenland :flowers:

The flag of Greenland is in the front of this picture and Dannebrog is in the back.

I apologise Lilla, i had got the wrong picture. I ment to refer to the 3rd picture not the fourth. But Thank you for pointing out my mistake. :flowers:

Let's move on as this is not place the place to discuss Greenland's independence.

Thanks, :flowers:
Mandy

Oh, I think I remember something about Victoria's fiance, is that the surgery that is being referenced?

Yes, Daniel. Wasn't it something about his heart?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another article about the book that Frederik, Victoria, and Haakon plan to write:

Billed-Bladet - Frederik skriver bog sammen med Victoria og Haakon

Each royal will write a chapter describing their thoughts and experiences during their expedition this year, and the expedition before. There will also be contributions from three different environmentalists. The book will go on sale next fall in Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. The release of the book will happen simultaneously in the three nations.

:previous:
Well that would be an interesting read. I hope it gets translated into english. :flowers:
Maybe profits could be donated to climate change characters (hint hint) :whistling:

That is going to be an entertaining read; I hope the book is translated into English as well.
It will be interesting to discern the different writing styles of the three Heirs, as well as have an inside into their experiences from the trips.

Here is a special Documental made by Danish TV2 on the ocassion of Scadinavian Heirs Trip to Greenland.

The Video was posted on the Royal Norwegian channel
YouTube - Kongelig Klima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom