Princess Mary's Personality

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the modeling and fashion shoots are two years ago. Have you ever heard that first impression registers with people?

Well its certainly a very stubborn and not very sensible person who chooses to stick by their initial impression over a period of years even after things have changed. Mary can do nothing with these people; she's better off paying attention to the people who are willing to change their perceptions and opinions as the facts in front of them change.

I'm not sure what point Madame Royale tried to make by responding my post line-by-line but missed my points completely.

Are you arguing Mary has NOT changed since she met Fred? Check back to her pictures from even the night she met Fred. Her skin wasn't snowy white without blemish. Her skin consultant who boasted some Hollywood stars as clinets told Australian magazine that Mary was his client. If she got that skin from her parents, she wouldn't need a skin consultant. Her stylist was well noted in many occasions. Mary went to Milan with her stylist for fashion shows.

BTW, I didn't criticize her for losing weight, or improving her skin by chemical, or improving her wardrobe, or changing her accent. I only said she made the most dramatic change since she met Fred, comparing with other princesses. And the dramatic change gave the impression of being fake.

I don't want to spend any more space on her accent. It's well discussed that she changed her accent. As for her Danish, how long ago was the speech she gave where Danes in attendance couldn't understand her? Nine months ago? She's been living in Denmark for what, five years now?

Intellectual capacity is different from intelligence. I can't tell whether she's intelligent or not. But from what she said, I could judge her intellectual capacity or curiosity. In interviews, she couldn't form a cohesive full sentences sometimes even in English. The logic of her reasoning and response was poor. She also never mentioned any literature she liked or showed any knowledge that made me think she's well read or a deep thinker. That's just the impression I have of her. As I said, she seems well suited for Fred. <shrug>

Well its certainly a very stubborn and not very sensible person who chooses to stick by their initial impression over a period of years even after things have changed.

Here I thought pesonal attacks on other posters are not allowed?

What "things have changed"? That she gave birth to an heir and a spare? That she's assigned a lot of patronage by the Danish court? That she donated part of her wardrobe budget or income to the Tsunami victims or other needy people?

Here I thought pesonal attacks on other posters are not allowed?

What "things have changed"? That she gave birth to an heir and a spare? That she's assigned a lot of patronage by the Danish court? That she donated part of her wardrobe budget or income to the Tsunami victims or other needy people?

My apologies, highpriestess. I thought you were talking about other people not yourself. What has changed is that Mary is no longer doing fashion shoots for Vogue or candid interviews. These were reasons you gave for opinions about Mary.

I don't see why the lost of weight or a regal look can be bad things... I prefer the elegance of Mary to the heavy make up or the boring look that some crown princesses show all the time.

I don't see Queen Elizabeth looks at people with her chin in the air or extends her hand downward from wrist like she thinks the other person is below her or may dirty her hand. Mary's body language is "regal" only in her imagination.

As for makeup, if you can't see the heavy makeup on Mary, you may need a better monitor or enlarge her photos. She's the one who wears the most heavy makeup, comparing with other princesses.

Mary's body language is "regal" only in her imagination.

Ouch!.lol.

As for makeup, if you can't see the heavy makeup on Mary, you may need a better monitor or enlarge her photos. She's the one who wears the most heavy makeup, comparing with other princesses.

The makeup Mary uses is so subtle that it's really quite difficult to tell where her natural colouration stops, and the makeup proceeds.

It's actually a product which highlights the indaviduals innate complexion.

Oh..I may just have a picture!

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/comtessede/000407410000343dn.jpg

Excuse me, If it seems (to me) your interpretation of "heavy makeup" is questionable at best.

Good of you to respond though.

Last edited:
The Vogue shoots were a long time ago, they were merley an introduction of the princess to the public IMO. I think its time we built a bridge. I think that bridge has been made but some people cant see the bridge, maybe its too distant.

I dont remember Mary ever saying she was regal, thats what other people are saying, she never claimed that she was regal.

Checked back Mary's calendar for these past three years. She's attending more than a couple fashion shows.
I feel a distinct tireness coming upon me - if this fashion thing is to be rehashed - yet again :sleep:
Highpriestess, get ready for the upcoming CIFF in August; all your prejudices will be confirmed when you'll see Mary attend one of the shows and being officially greeted by one of the organisers behind it. And get ready for yet another round in the February version of CIFF when the same will take place again. Should you be curious as to what is actually going on, or should you harbour doubts whether Mary is there to enlarge her wardrobe (which by all accounts must beat any other CPss' wardrobe ten times:rolleyes:) you could do some background study about the CIFF, what it does, what Mary does there, look at some statistical data about the importance of this industry etc. Sometimes reality is quite different from what is presented in (tabloid) magazines.

...some times I wish Denmark was still mainly relying on agricultural produce! No one - literally on one - would lift an eyebrow if Mary attended two semi-annual agricultural fairs in support of one of the country's top five money-making industries....

I feel a distinct tireness coming upon me - if this fashion thing is to be rehashed - yet again :sleep:

snip

...some times I wish Denmark was still mainly relying on agricultural produce! No one - literally on one - would lift an eyebrow if Mary attended two semi-annual agricultural fairs in support of one of the country's top five money-making industries....

Well said, my honorable friend from Denmark! :flowers:

Why is it that people all the time are bickering about things they think are fun or frivoulous? I hate fashion - for me to have to attend two fashion shows a year would be quite the fright. But give me an agricultural fair any day....

You know: Mary is young (well, rather young still), looking like a model (oh, those fashion shootings...), is rich and royal and a happy wife and mother. Yes, one could envy her if it wasn't for the many duties she has. I'm a happy wife and mother, my husband calls me the most beautiful woman of the world, we're not rich, but well-off and I don't have such duties but can spend my time here gossiping instead of publically bemoan the fate of others who are much more unfortunate than I am. Surely I'm much better off than Mary in comparison - and what does that opinion say over my character and personality?

I don't see Queen Elizabeth looks at people with her chin in the air or extends her hand downward from wrist like she thinks the other person is below her or may dirty her hand. Mary's body language is "regal" only in her imagination.

Well, I always thought Queen Elizabeth was a cold person with the public, but that's me. And yes, of course Mary has a regal look and that's why I like her. I wouldn't like to see Mary as a jolly good fellow, sorry. That's not my concept of monarchy.

I agree, I really need to enlarge her photos because you're the first person I heard saying that Mary wears heavy make up!! What do you see? heavy blush? Heavy red lipstick? Tons of eye shadow? (???). For me, she's always very natural.

Well, I always thought Queen Elizabeth was a cold person with the public, but that's me. And yes, of course Mary has a regal look and that's why I like her. I wouldn't like to see Mary as a jolly good fellow, sorry. That's not my concept of monarchy..

I wouldn't like to see Mary as a jolly good fellow either but I don't think Queen Elizabeth II has a cold personality compared to Mary.

I think they both are elegant and regal as well befitting both their positions and they are doing a wonderful job.

Neither one of the women are teddy bears - no they don't look that huggable - and I am really grateful for that. I don't like huggable royals, I like elegant royals!

I wouldn't like to see Mary as a jolly good fellow either but I don't think Queen Elizabeth II has a cold personality compared to Mary.

I think they both are elegant and regal as well befitting both their positions and they are doing a wonderful job.

Neither one of the women are teddy bears - no they don't look that huggable - and I am really grateful for that. I don't like huggable royals, I like elegant royals!

I don't think Queen Elizabeth is a cold person, not at all.(I think she has a very good heart and she must be a very warm gradmother. I just think she is a bit shy and cold only when she is dealing with people. We saw Mary jumping with the kids and I can't imagine Queen Elizabeth doing the same :) but I agree with you, ysbel, when you say Mary is doing a wonderful job.

I like a royal to be elegant and composed, though 'huggable' royals are just as charming.

I actually believe Mary is an effectionate lady, and from having access to various sources which are no longer able to be published on the main forum, I have seen many photo's which support my perception of her.

Of course, I'm sure she has her limitations as to what is appropriate and what is not. We all do.

It´s funny to see how Australians defend Mary till the very end and cannot seem to find a flaw about her ;) (not being offensive as I think I´ve been mistaken for before)

I would like to say that I´m not so much against Mary now as before. But I still don´t like her as much as I would like to. I would however like to defend my opinion on her.

About her Danish skills. They are not very good! As a Dane living in Denmark among other Danes I have to say that many have trouble with understanding her when she´s speaking Danish. Many ppl I know have commented on her poor Danish, so it´s not just the magazines claiming it. A few days ago dr1 aired the documentary filmed right before the wedding and her Danish was excellent considering her short time with the language. Everyone was impressed but not anymore. The same thing happended to prince Henrik. At his wedding he was extremely good at Danish but it has gone down hill ever since then. Really a shame.

I think it´s quite a contradiction when saying that ppl don´t want a CP who acts too warm and friendly and then saying Mary is the opposite of HM Q. Elizabeth II who seems to be too cold and regal in public. JMO.

I would like some feed-back on this post but would really appreciate not being slaughtered because I come with criticism. As it is allowed to speak positively about Mary it is just as fair to speak negatively (without being rude I mean). It´s part of a discussion... :flowers: Hope I can still call Mary-lovers for friends on this board ;)

It´s funny to see how Australians defend Mary till the very end and cannot seem to find a flaw about her ;) (not being offensive as I think I´ve been mistaken for before)

I would like to say that I´m not so much against Mary now as before. But I still don´t like her as much as I would like to. I would however like to defend my opinion on her.

About her Danish skills. They are not very good! As a Dane living in Denmark among other Danes I have to say that many have trouble with understanding her when she´s speaking Danish. Many ppl I know have commented on her poor Danish, so it´s not just the magazines claiming it. A few days ago dr1 aired the documentary filmed right before the wedding and her Danish was excellent considering her short time with the language. Everyone was impressed but not anymore. The same thing happended to prince Henrik. At his wedding he was extremely good at Danish but it has gone down hill ever since then. Really a shame.

I think it´s quite a contradiction when saying that ppl don´t want a CP who acts too warm and friendly and then saying Mary is the opposite of HM Q. Elizabeth II who seems to be too cold and regal in public. JMO.

I would like some feed-back on this post but would really appreciate not being slaughtered because I come with criticism. As it is allowed to speak positively about Mary it is just as fair to speak negatively (without being rude I mean). It´s part of a discussion... :flowers: Hope I can still call Mary-lovers for friends on this board ;)

I think you are rigth about her speaking skills and it migth be because they are speking english to eatch other she and Frederik...the reason for Prince Henriks very poor danish skills is because he and Queen Margrethe is speaking in Frence when they talk to eatch other and that is not the best way to intigrate another person onley speaking his/her mothertunge in another contry.

I don't agree about her language skills; I work with languages myself and when I studied my incredible clever now deceased English professor quite openly admitted that he had almost given up ever being able to master the Danish language - even though he had lived almost 10 years in the country, mastered other languages besides English and really had made an effort.
I have for many years acknowledged that learning Danish is just d*** hard for some people; Mary does not sound like a Dane, probably never will, but even queen Ingrid who came just across the sound and lived here for decades had an accent when she spoke Danish - and she was born and raised speaking a brother tongue.

I don't have a problem with Mary's grasp of the Danish language; IMO she is steadily improving which is what matters. Even pre-school children could understand her when she had an event about the importance of being protected against the sun - and I have no problem understanding her either - even if she does pronounce her 'd's!

Just an afterthought: why is Mary's language skills considered part of her personality - or even the reason for why some like her and some don't? I cannot imagined what it would do to me as a person if I were judged e.g. on my mathematical skills....
Have anyone for example ever questioned Alexandra's drawing skills? And made the results of that part of an assesment of her personality?

Last edited:
I´m not claiming that Danish isn´t a hard language to learn because it is. All I´m saying is that she is hard to understand even when she is reading from a piece of paper. As I said before she was unbelievably good before the wedding (almost better than Alexandra who had learned many languages before) but my point is that it has then gone down hill. Of course she knows a lot more grammar and words to communicate on a much better level but she has become more difficult to understand.

As a native English speaker, like Mary, learning Danish is incredibly frustrating.

It might take years before Mary will perfect her tone, pronunciation, etc., but until then I believe she is doing quite well. To expect her to speak perfect Danish, without tone mistakes and so forth, is unreasonable.

Give her a break, she is doing her best.

:flowers:

....Of course she knows a lot more grammar and words to communicate on a much better level but she has become more difficult to understand.
Might that not be the proof that her Danish has become better? If she begins to be just as hard to understand as the rest of us Danes who excel at 'swallowing' large chunks of what we are actually saying ;) :)

Hehe I think we´re on different paths here. I NEVER expect Mary to ever get rid of an accent. Even having spoken English since the age of 10 I still have an accent and don´t know every word. I still have a lot to learn. My essays are not flawless BUT my point is that she has gone backwards with her pronounzation (sp?) and the ability to speak so at least I can undestand her. Don´t know if it´s me, my family or friends who are being a bit deaf or something to nor understand her.

I´ve been studying 5 languages myself and I certainly do not speak them fluently but am understandable despite not living in the countries where they speak those languages ;) Hope my point is a little clearer now :D

I am not a fan of Mary. I understand why some people feel she's "fake", "shallow", "arrogant" etc.

Mary is probably the one who changed the most after dating/marrying her prince. She changed her accent, skin (thanks to a well-published skin consultant), style (thanks to a well-published stylist), lost weight etc. in order to look more royal. Sure, other princesses also become more polished with more money. But Mary changed the most. That gave the impression of her being fake. She's no longer the a bit chubby, sporty, tan Australian woman in tank top. She's now a creation all the money can buy.

As for being shallow, this has a lot to do with all the "fashion icon" business. She did much more than just attending several fashion shows "in support of Danish fashion industry". She's actively hyped as a fashion icon by Danish, Australian press and perhaps, Danish court. She modeled foreigners' clothes and posted for fashion magazines. No other princesses in recent memory have ever done that. (Diana did the fashion shoots after her divorce. Plus, if I remember correctly, Diana wore her own clothes for the shoot.) When she acts more like a celebrity than a royal, it's not surprising that a lot of people have the impression of a shallow person. The fact that she was shown as "turing it on" for the camera but no interest in the event she's attending doesn't help.

Mary also has a very haughty body language. The chin-in-the-air is well noted, even by the painter of her portrait. She also extended her hand in this very hauty way that I just found very offputting. She would hold her hand out in a 45 degree angle down from her wrist. It seems to show her superiority or reluctance to shake the other person's hand. She's caught on photos like that often before.

I personally don't think she's arrogant. I do think she's very insecure. A confident person wouldn't have changed so much after marriage. She seems to think the haughty body language is how a princess supposed to be and she wants to be seens as a true princess. It's another new thing she adapts after marriage. She's the most at ease interacting with children because she knew children were star-struch and wouldn't judge her poor Danish or lack of intellectual capacity. I don't think she has much intellectual depth from all the interviews she gave. She's inarticulate even in her native English. But again, since Fred isn't exactly an intellectual giant himself. Mary suits him just fine.

These are just from my observations. I don't mean to offend any Danes or Aussies. :flowers:

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST. I am very glad that someone else is sharing my feelings towards Mary. Don't get me wrong: I like her and Fred , but I do not see the two of them being King and Queen. They might be a nice couple , and a perfect little family at first sight. But don't expect them to be more than this, you might get dissapointed.

Hehe I think we´re on different paths here. I NEVER expect Mary to ever get rid of an accent. Even having spoken English since the age of 10 I still have an accent and don´t know every word. I still have a lot to learn. My essays are not flawless BUT my point is that she has gone backwards with her pronounzation (sp?) and the ability to speak so at least I can undestand her. Don´t know if it´s me, my family or friends who are being a bit deaf or something to nor understand her.

I´ve been studying 5 languages myself and I certainly do not speak them fluently but am understandable despite not living in the countries where they speak those languages ;) Hope my point is a little clearer now :D

That's interesting. It may be that when she was first learning she was trying harder and so sounded better. Now that she's got the hang of it more, she doesn't have to try as hard and so it doesn't sound as good.

I think Mary would definitely want to be understandable in Danish but perhaps the people around her have figured out how to understand her mistakes and all whereas when she speaks in public, people that have never heard her may have problems understanding her. That is not good.

When I lived in Germany, there was a certain point at which I became lazy in speaking German. I knew enough to get around so I didn't try very hard and I could still make myself understood. However, being in the public eye, that's not the tack that I think Mary wants to take.

Now to answer your other question:

I think both HMQEII and Mary are perfectly regal and I don't see Mary as the opposite of HMQEII. I did mention I was surprised how often and openly Mary laughed and smiled at the christening which led me to believe that she has some more warmth than I had reckoned on but it wasn't distracting to her overall dignified bearing.

I think I did see Mary jump a trampoline once but that picture is not likely to precede Mary running naked down the street so I think Mary's reputation for dignity and decorum can remain intact despite a little trampoline jumping every now and then.

To your question of people defending Mary for everything, that happens with every Crown Princess and Mary is no different. I personally prefer to see the good traits and bad traits of all the Crown Princesses even though I am drawn to some more than others. All the Crown Princesses have enough people who like everything they do and enough people who like nothing that they do that it can make one's head spin.

Don't get me wrong: I like her and Fred , but I do not see the two of them being King and Queen. They might be a nice couple , and a perfect little family at first sight. But don't expect them to be more than this, you might get dissapointed.

Well they ARE going to be King and Queen if Fred lives long enough. The fact that they seem to have a happy family and look very regal in the traditional Danish royal events is enough for me.

Last edited:
...get ready for the upcoming CIFF in August; all your prejudices will be confirmed when you'll see Mary attend one of the shows and being officially greeted by one of the organisers behind it. And get ready for yet another round in the February version of CIFF when the same will take place again. Should you be curious as to what is actually going on, or should you harbour doubts whether Mary is there to enlarge her wardrobe (which by all accounts must beat any other CPss' wardrobe ten times:rolleyes:)

I would appreciate it if you can respond without the word "prejudice" or sarcasim. And let me refresh my points one more time since you don't seem to get it.

Mary modeled for fashion magazines and was hyped as fashion icon long before Danish court came up with the lame excuse of "supporting Danish fashion industry" as the reason for her doing fashion shoots in mostly foreign designers' gear no less. That sort of trapped her into the responsibility of promoting Danish fashion.

Once again, I didn't criticize her for improving her wardrobe or attending fashion shows (BTW, she's attending more fashion shows than the CIFF shows.). The point I made was that people thought of her as "shallow" because all of her activities associated with fashion, including her fashion shoots, her wearing designers' gear right off the ad and attendance of various fashion shows. It's an impression. So far, I don't see too much positive world press generated for Danish fashion because of Mary, okay, maybe in Australia. I did see some negative press about Mary's seemingly exuberant spending on clothes.

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST. I am very glad that someone else is sharing my feelings towards Mary. Don't get me wrong: I like her and Fred , but I do not see the two of them being King and Queen. They might be a nice couple , and a perfect little family at first sight. But don't expect them to be more than this, you might get dissapointed.

And who is it, you believe shall take their place?

This should be interesting...:ermm:

Last edited:
And yes, of course Mary has a regal look and that's why I like her. I wouldn't like to see Mary as a jolly good fellow, sorry. That's not my concept of monarchy.

Your "regal" struck other people as "haughty". Same body language gives different impression.

I agree, I really need to enlarge her photos because you're the first person I heard saying that Mary wears heavy make up!! What do you see? heavy blush? Heavy red lipstick? Tons of eye shadow? (???). For me, she's always very natural.

Really? You don't see stage-strength foundation on her snowy white face? Or glittering silvery eye shadow on her brow bone? She wore that during her Australian trip. Or her black eye liners?

Really? You don't see stage-strength foundation on her snowy white face? Or glittering silvery eye shadow on her brow bone? She wore that during her Australian trip. Or her black eye liners?

Heavy foundation? Would be good if you could actually provide an accurate and high quality picture which supports your contention.

And now 'we' move onto eyeshadow and and eyeliner...Your argument (though welcome of course) re Mary's makeup isn't a very strong one it would seem.

And on the topic of Fred and Mary acceding the throne, they are in a most secure position, I believe, it's safe to say. Moreso than their Spanish, Norwegian and Belgian counterparts. Health abiding (As I'm sure it shall), Frederik will reign and his consort by his side.

Last edited:
Heavy foundation? Would be good if you could actually provide an accurate and high quality picture which supports your contention.

And now 'we' move onto eyeshadow and and eyeliner...Your argument (though welcome of course) re Mary's makeup isn't a very strong one it would seem.

If you don't count black eyeliners and sliver eye shadow, what other things you count as "makeup"? As for foundation, you would have to look for photos yourself. You can start with her Australia trip.

If you don't count black eyeliners and sliver eye shadow, what other things you count as "makeup"? As for foundation, you would have to look for photos yourself. You can start with her Australia trip.

Oh its makeup alright, but heavy? I think not.

I have seen a large quantity of photos from the Australian trip (amongst many other trips undertaken by the royal couple in an official capacity) and needless to say, the heavy use of makeup you so obstinately refer to, seems to remain elusive.

Not being able to back up your claim with substantiative evidence, gives your argument very little credibility.

I'm not denying she wears makeup, not at all :) It's clear she does (eyes, mouth, cheeks) as it is with any other woman who wears it.

Last edited:
And who is it, you believe shall take their place?

This should be interesting...:ermm:

Well, there isn't much of a choice, hmm?:rolleyes:
Which takes me back to the question if getting a job just by being born into a certain family is a good concept...:ermm:.
Well, we will see in a couple of years if there is any substance whatsover in Fred & Mary. They look nice now, but they will get older and they won't be pretty royal images anymore.I doubt that they will develop strong personalities like Margrethe is f.e.

They are definetely both no leaders , they don't have this " together we are strong as a rock " aura around them like Willem and Maxima f.e..They look nice and sweet and pretty . But Fred wants to go sailing and Mary wants to look good and that's it pretty much. They doesn't hurt anyone, well except the Danish taxpayers who care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom