Princess Mary's Personality

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I understand. I didn't know that they were asked a question in Danish and answered in English.

Well, that can be interpreted two ways, in my opinion.

First, by not answering in Danish, they were showing politeness and courtesy to their host country (I reiterate, this was a private visit), or they were making it apparent that it was not appropriate to be asked a question in Danish in those circumstances, in the first place!

I incline to the second view. To my mind, the Danish question would have been either very rude and impolite or very chauvinistic. I think it reflects poorly on the journalist/s concerned and not at all on Frederik and Mary.

Yes, but for a Dane isn't that insulting don't you think? They are after all the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of DENMARK not Austraila.

I believe they were simply following the common etiquette of resorting to a common language when in midst of multilingual company. After all the whole point of interview is communication. If it were a private conversation then they should have resorted to the language they are being addressed in, and treat each query as an individual case.

I do hope that Danes in general are not worked up on this fact because it would be a petty thing to do.

Last edited:
Yer, seriously :neutral:

Think about it: Mary and Frederik responded in Danish for the Danish questions and English for the Australian as they said they would...surprise surprise.lol.

The Danes asked whatever questions they wished to ask as did the Australians, information was shared and subtitles provided...Whoop dee doo the earth keeps revolving :clap:

Sarcasm aside, surprising ain't it, I actually catch your drift. Color me shocked...:D

To my mind, the Danish question would have been either very rude and impolite or very chauvinistic. I think it reflects poorly on the journalist/s concerned and not at all on Frederik and Mary.

True, that's another way of looking at it.:flowers:

Gosh, I wish I could respond in many different languages, that would be wonderful. Unfortunately, I only speak good old English. :flowers:

Actually, my Spanish is more slang and below mediocore than anything (if anyone lives in LA they know what I mean.) :D

It's a different culture here and the Spanish language is really a combo called Spanglish. It's hard to describe. There is no way that I would be able to translate an article because the slang here in LA is so different than say in Spain.

I believe they were simply following the common etiquette of resorting to a common language when in midst of multilingual company. I do hope that Danes in general are not worked up on this fact because it would be a petty thing to do.

I doubt they (the Danes) would think of it as being petty. They are a proud people who have a fantastic royal family and I believe they would appreciate their royals to speak Danish when the question is asked in Danish.

Well Margrethe and Henrik have a habit of giving press conferences at the beginning of their vacations in Caix so I think press conferences before a royal Danish vacation may be expected. I'm wondering what language the press conferences in Caix are in? Are they in Danish or French? I think I heard Margrethe speak Danish in one press conference.

If Margrethe regularly starts off her press conferences in Danish even though she is in France, that may be why the Danish press was expecting a press conference in Danish. But the reason Margrethe gives the press conferences in Danish may be that the French media isn't really interested in her and Henrik (I don't know that they aren't but it doesn't seem they are) whereas the Australian media is really interested in what Mary does.

To me it would have been a simple matter to have two smaller press conferences, one in English the other in Danish. Queen Beatrix did that when she came to New York in the 80s and both press conferences were in the same room. The Dutch press were let into the room first and got 15 minutes then they left and the American press came in and they got another 15 minutes. It was all very proper and civilized.

It appears by the article and what you all are saying is that the Danish media feel their goodwill towards Mary and Fred are being taken for granted and not appreciated.

:lol: Okay, deal.

It appears by the article and what you all are saying is that the Danish media feel their goodwill towards Mary and Fred are being taken for granted and not appreciated.

Yes. I believe they feel as if they should have a sort up "catch up" interview. It's been a long time since they've had one (2003), and after all these years and the things the couple have done the media believes the public should hear from them in either a sit down exclusive tv interview or print.

Why is it that all of the magazines that are against any of the royal families, especially crown princesses, are not a good source? Is this just pure coincidence? On the other hand, when the article praises any of the royal couples, then it is a wonderful writer, good magazine, etc, etc. Why can't they be criticized from time to time? Why are particularly Mary and Letizia so perfect? I'm sure there a many danish citizens who adore the royal couple, but aren't there others who don't? Wouldn't it be okay?

Last edited:
Why is it that all of the magazines that are against any of the royal families, especially crown princesses, are not a good source? Is this just pure coincidence? On the other hand, when the article praises any of the royal couples, then it is a wonderful writer, good magazine, etc, etc. Why can't they be criticized from time to time? Why are particularly Mary and Letizia so perfect?

Good question.:flowers: Haven't a clue.

I'm sure there a many danish citizens who adore the royal couple, but aren't there others who don't? Wouldn't it be okay?

Absolutely. No one can be that naive to think that every single person and their dog in Denmark adores Mary and Frederik, that's silly.

I believe there is a healthy balance of the two, just like in any country that has a monarchy.

Actually, I must admit at first I liked Mary but over the time my opinion of Mary has changed. I'm no longer a fan of her. I don't follow her schedules just like any other CPss. I don't know but maybe for me Mary suffered from the intense media speculation. Among the CPss she's the one whose been most photographed and her fashion seems to cover from one magazine to another. Although I can't blame her because her style is really good. She dresses nicely and her choice of clothes are tremendous but for me that's the reason why I think I switched my interest from Mary to other CPss say Letizia and Maxima. Of course, I can't blame Mary for that. It's just that media for me has put Mary high into the limelight that some people think that it may work negatively on her. Her rise to royal limelight is very fast compared to other CPss but it's because she works hard and she's very visible to the public that tend to feed on her everyday agenda. She seems very dedicated to her status. But I don't really feel her when I see her in the news whether she's on the magazine or in the internet. I hope this answers my perception over Mary's personality.;):)

Well, that can be interpreted two ways, in my opinion.

First, by not answering in Danish, they were showing politeness and courtesy to their host country (I reiterate, this was a private visit), or they were making it apparent that it was not appropriate to be asked a question in Danish in those circumstances, in the first place!

I incline to the second view. To my mind, the Danish question would have been either very rude and impolite or very chauvinistic. I think it reflects poorly on the journalist/s concerned and not at all on Frederik and Mary.

I have to agree with Glittering Tiaras. I admit that I am sensitive to others languages and I find it arrogant to just assume that the other people speak English well enough. They may speak English well but they may not like their English speaking ability being taken for granted.

Sensitivity runs both ways and I don't think the concerns stated by the Danish press are petty and trivial at all. Mary and Fred often have the sensititvities of both Danish and Australian audiences to consider so why choose a solution that satisfies one set of sensitivities and not the other when only a little more effort would have satisfied them both?

Referring to your interpretation that the Danish reporter asking a question in Danish was rude and chauvinistic, I'd like to share this anecdote.

When Mary came home after the birth of Christian in Copenhagen, Australian reporters peppered her with questions in English and she responded in English without bothering to translate it in Danish. She was tired, it was just after the baby was born so the Danish press were particularly understanding given that the event was the birth of their future King. I doubt if people thought the Australian reporter was being rude and chauvinistic about speaking English in Copenhagen at the birth of the future Danish King.

Actually as I mentioned earlier, if the Danish press were used to Margrethe and Henrik giving interviews in Danish before their vacation in France, I don't think the assumption that Mary would answer a Danish question in Danish would be considered rude or chauvinistic at all.

Last edited:
Not directed at any one person...

I think it's pertinent to remember that from the get go, that this was a cross language based interview, directed at two audiences..Denmark and Australia.

When Mary came home after the birth of Christian in Copenhagen, Australian reporters peppered her with questions in English and she responded in English without bothering to translate it in Danish. She was tired, it was just after the baby was born so the Danish press were particularly understanding given that the event was the birth of their future King.

That is true, but consider this. Had she answered the Australian questions in Danish, the Aussies would have been upset. (Actually, we probably wouldn't have cared either way, but perhaps one or two may have been:lol:)
As for answering the questions in both Danish and English, I think that would be tiresome and time wasting. Besides, how often have you heard the media ask a question giving the person time to answer in one language let alone two?
It all comes back to the same old saying, 'She's doomed is she does and she's doomed if she doesn't!'

Not directed at any one person...

I think it's pertinent to remember that from the get go, that this was a cross language based interview, directed at two audiences..Denmark and Australia.

You're right.

Previously I noted that if I were Mary I would answer the question in what ever language it was originally asked, then translate it so the other may understand.

That's just me, I could be wrong and out of line, but what are you going to do, right.;)

That is true, but consider this. Had she answered the Australian questions in Danish, the Aussies would have been upset. (Actually, we probably wouldn't have cared either way, but perhaps one or two may have been:lol:)
As for answering the questions in both Danish and English, I think that would be tiresome and time wasting. Besides, how often have you heard the media ask a question giving the person time to answer in one language let alone two?'

I understand that the Aussies would be upset; and I think that the Danes can feel just like the Aussies when their princess does not speak to them in their language. I gather that the Australians think that the Danes shuold be more understanding than the Australians because they do speak English and the Australians don't speak Danish. That is a little presumptious don't you think?

Actually in Europe I have heard people answer in two languages in a press conference but it doesn't happen in the US a lot.

Sometimes to be sensitive to all parties concerned, it does take more time, but I would hardly consider that wasting time. Some of the questions Mary answered wouldn't have taken that much more time to answer in Danish so not a lot of time would have been wasted. The most effective solution is not always the quickest.

I don't think this is an issue of she's doomed if she does and she's doomed if she doesn't. If she had answered the question in Danish and translated it into English, no one would have been offended. A solution sensitive to all could have been found but wasn't.

Last edited:
Actually, I must admit at first I liked Mary but over the time my opinion of Mary has changed. I'm no longer a fan of her. I don't follow her schedules just like any other CPss. I don't know but maybe for me Mary suffered from the intense media speculation. Among the CPss she's the one whose been most photographed and her fashion seems to cover from one magazine to another. Although I can't blame her because her style is really good. She dresses nicely and her choice of clothes are tremendous but for me that's the reason why I think I switched my interest from Mary to other CPss say Letizia and Maxima. Of course, I can't blame Mary for that. It's just that media for me has put Mary high into the limelight that some people think that it may work negatively on her. Her rise to royal limelight is very fast compared to other CPss but it's because she works hard and she's very visible to the public that tend to feed on her everyday agenda. She seems very dedicated to her status. But I don't really feel her when I see her in the news whether she's on the magazine or in the internet. I hope this answers my perception over Mary's personality.;):)
I uderstood you perfectly. You think she's over-exposed so therefore you're turned off by her. That's an interesting observation, one I had not thought of before.:flowers:

Last edited:
If she had answered the question in Danish and translated it into English, no one would have been offended.

There may have been those who thought she should have answered in English and translated it into Danish. :ermm:

Anyway, like all these debates that go on and on, I think it is getting down to the 'just plain silly' and although we can discuss this until the cows come home, things probably won't change so we must learn to live with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but for a Dane isn't that insulting don't you think? They are after all the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of DENMARK not Austraila.

If they were in Australia, I think that it is proper that they speak in English. I think that when a person is in a foreign country, or a country other than the one that they live in, if they are capable of speaking the language, they should. It is a sign of respect and a sign or knowledge of the local culture.

Furthermore, I think that it is far more likely that more Danes speak English, than Australians speak Danish. None the less, is she answers Danish questions in Danish and Australian questions, or questions for a worldwide print article in English, then I don't see the problem. More people in the world speak English than Danish. It is a fact of life. However, she is Danish, so she should strive to answer Danish reporters questions in that language. BUT.... If she is in another country, where English is the accepted language, and that country is playing host to her, then etiquette would demand that she answer in the language of that country where possible so that the local journalists have the same opportunity to print that quote without translation being neccessary.

If they were in Australia, I think that it is proper that they speak in English. I think that when a person is in a foreign country, or a country other than the one that they live in, if they are capable of speaking the language, they should. It is a sign of respect and a sign or knowledge of the local culture.

However Mary spoke English in Copenhagen to an Australian reporter right after the birth of Christian so that rule doesn't always apply.

I think they're better off giving separate press conferences in Danish and English. The argument that doing it in both languages is a waste of time is pretty weak.

I understand them speaking English only if no other solution is available but it takes only a little more effort to do it in both languages. The questions and the answers to them are not that long. -

Last edited:
Here's an idea. As someone who speaks more than one language, I've at times revert to my native tongue while talking with a non-english speaker unknowinly. I think it's true that it would have been more politically correct for her to answer in the language questioned in, but maybe the answer came out of head spontanously. When I do it, everyone finds it funny as hell. But of course, I only represent myself not two very different countries. That's just a thought.

Last edited:
I also speak multiple languages, and I will find myself speaking in english sometimes when I am very tired, upset, or otherwise unable to focus. Then I have to go back, figure out what I have said and translate it into the proper language. I agree Mary should speak Danish when asked a question in Danish, especially when in Denmark... but there are always exceptions to the rule. English is her mother tongue, so that is what she will revert to when not at her best.

I also speak multiple languages, and I will find myself speaking in english sometimes when I am very tired, upset, or otherwise unable to focus. Then I have to go back, figure out what I have said and translate it into the proper language. I agree Mary should speak Danish when asked a question in Danish, especially when in Denmark... but there are always exceptions to the rule. English is her mother tongue, so that is what she will revert to when not at her best.

Yes that happens to me too, Empress. I'm going to Germany for a bike trip and I just know that one day after a long bike ride I'm going to go up to a hotel where they speak no English (the area we're biking in is pretty rural) and I'm going to be so tired that only English will come out of my mouth.

What I was trying to say was that in a multicultural environment the assumption that everyone speaks English is not always a wise one and one can make an event multilingual without much additional effort or any inconvenience to the people involved.

The interview that Beatrix gave in New York earlier that I alluded to is an excellent example of that. Everybody got what they needed without much extra effort from her or her staff. Isn't that the desired result of giving the media a press conference?

I was going to comment on how I really both agree with those who find Mary coming across as aloof and superficial, as well as those who lean to finding Mary sympathetic but shy...but I'm having second thoughts..because I'm thinking, we don't know this person at all really.

We may get a glimpse, and a sense, but even then...Mary, and for that matter all people in the spot light, may or may totally not, in reality, resemble even an inkling of their public persona.

We just aren't able to really judge..and I know I know, I'm often the first one to be critical of a royal, but I'm trying to be a bit less judgmental these days, because I'm thinking, what if it was me, being judged by total strangers about the way I do things, the way I do anything, just based on pictures and hear-say?

If I were and in the spot light and naturally shy, as Mary may well be, all these comments would make me even more shy I think.

But ok, I'll judge her on one thing...the way we've seen her treat her dog Ziggy is really nice, kind. You can tell she considers the dog part of the family very much. The way she greeted Ziggy when they brought Christian home from the hospital, that was very cute.

Ok, I'll say one other thing: Mary could indeed step up to the plate a bit more when it comes to serious causes. I mean, I haven't seen her take up a seat on a panel on the world leaders' Davos forum the way a certain young queen, who's also into fashion and had a nose job, has done a nr. of years.

Or the way Maxima has dedicated herself to helping the cause of loans to those without a lot of collateral.

What I mean is, IF there's room for improvement as far as Mary's concerned, she could apply herself a bit more to perhaps more heavier causes..she has the brains obviously, so why not? She's been involved in too much light-hearted stuff, enough with that already. Leave the fluff to Fred! ;)

Last edited:
Actually as I mentioned earlier, if the Danish press were used to Margrethe and Henrik giving interviews in Danish before their vacation in France, I don't think the assumption that Mary would answer a Danish question in Danish would be considered rude or chauvinistic at all.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

I didn't, by the way, wish to imply that if Mary had answered the journalist in Danish it would have reflected poorly on her. Au contraire. My view is that it was inappropriate and rude for the journalist to question them in Danish in the first place. I still do. Rather than showing support for his Danish readership, or whatever, it showed disdain and a lack of respect for the local population. You do not speak in a language which is incomprehensible to your hosts, whether in private or in public. He or she should have taken up his domestic gripes, if that's what they were, when back in his own country

As for the Australian journalist questioning Mary when she left the hospital, I believe that it's a different circumstance, again. I believe that there is not one single journalist, print, radio or television, in Australia, who can speak Danish, although many speak French and German. CP Mary would be well aware of that. Additionally, there was probably a high likelihood that most Danish people who were there could, in fact, understand English.

As for The Queen in France....well, if she has a predominantly French audience when interviewed while on holidays there, and they don't mind/can understand her addressing them in Danish, good for them. It's very impressive and mightily tolerant of the French. I'm afraid that, if The Queen came to Australia and addressed us in Danish, particularly as we well know that she speaks English, we'd be irritated, to say the least.

Yes we will have to agree to disagree and it appears that some members of the Danish press disagree with you also.

I don't want to belabor the point because it gets away from Mary's personality but I don't think its going to help Mary and Fred if they alienate the Danish press when they accommodate the Australians and it appears that at this press conference that they managed to do just that.

I'm not suggesting that Mary and Fred alienate the Australians to accommodate the Danes but certainly since people have gotten offended, they can surely come up with more creative solutions that perhaps do not depend so much on the average Dane's ability to speak English.

But again, it was an interview by where english answers would be given for english questions and danish questions would be reciprocated with danish answers. It was made perfectly clear that that's how the process would be conducted.

A learning curve? It could be.

As for The Queen in France....well, if she has a predominantly French audience when interviewed while on holidays there, and they don't mind/can understand her addressing them in Danish, good for them. It's very impressive and mightily tolerant of the French.
I recently watched a rerun of the queens activities on Danish TV - including one of the interview sessions at Cahors before the queen and Prince Henrik started their holidays. It was said that there would be answers and questions in French and Danish reflecting the mix of French and Danish journalists present.

Every time when some Royal House gets a new Crown Princess, I will follow her some time to make my opinion of her. I think that Mary has changed a lot since she became a CP. According to my opinion, there´s something very artificial and calculating in her. I think she likes the limelight too much and I got a feeling, that during her official duties she thinks too much of how good she will be looking at the photos. I´m afraid that she will steal the show from Frederik and it won´t be good for Denmark. I think the other Crown Princesses (Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Letizia and Maxima) concentrate more to support their husbands. I also think that Mary spends a way too much money in her clothes. However, I believe that Mary really loves Frederik.

Every time when some Royal House gets a new Crown Princess, I will follow her some time to make my opinion of her. I think that Mary has changed a lot since she became a CP. According to my opinion, there´s something very artificial and calculating in her. I think she likes the limelight too much and I got a feeling, that during her official duties she thinks too much of how good she will be looking at the photos. I´m afraid that she will steal the show from Frederik and it won´t be good for Denmark. I think the other Crown Princesses (Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Letizia and Maxima) concentrate more to support their husbands. I also think that Mary spends a way too much money in her clothes. However, I believe that Mary really loves Frederik.

I feel the same way. Since day 1, I just cannot warm up to this woman. I have no problems with the other CPs, but Mary...there is something very fake in her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom