Princess Mary's Personality

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And Mary can't ?

Honestly, I can not think of a more embarassing moment than the day before your wedding, where all of Frederik's family from Denmark, Greece and Berlebrug are gathered, together with the members of the parliament, who are about to hand over their wedding gift to the couple.. And Mary's hat flyes off ! She handled it with dignity.. She laughed at herself :D

http://i17.tinypic.com/6gwzio9.jpg

Sure you can... :lol::ROFLMAO:

This isn't at the spanish parliament, the day before her wedding, where she most probably just wanted to make a good impression on danes, before they knew her at all, with all the family, all the guests of the wedding. She isn't comfortable in her princess role yet May 13th 2005, like Letizia was at that moment.

well, I didn't want to start a serious talk about what is more embarrasing, just a light joke :). Though Mary's hat incident was rather embarrasing too of course.

I think that her "accent" is a good example of what I mean. She is an Australian and speak with a British accent :ermm: I know there already IS a topic about her accent and I´m not trying to get off-topic here but it just seems to me that she puts on an accent to the media. Like she cannot be herself. I would love to here her speaking with an Australian accent as the rest of her family does, since I think it´s a beautiful accent...

Well, excuse me! I've lived most of my life in Australian and was born here, and whenever I travel overseas, which is regularly, people often say to me 'you don't sound Australian'. How would they know?

Does everyone in England speak with an Eastenders or Coronation Street accent? Of course not!

Not all Australians speak the way that their accents are depicted in films. Nothing wrong with it of course, but it's not accurate.

For instance, I've spent a lot of time in England and have an English husband and exended family. One of my sisters lives in America and affects an American accent. These things are contagious.

CP Mary sounds like CP Mary, and has a decided Sydney 'lilt' to her voice, in my opinion, which is slowly vanishing. So what? She doesn't live here anymore and those around her now who speak English would certainly not do so with a Hollywood version of an all-embracing Australian accent.

Give her break!

Not every royal looks like a robot:
CP Maxima is very hearty and her smile is inartificial. She IS a human.
CP Mette-Marit is also very hearty and very natural.

Both can laugh at themselves...
Please read my post again, i did not mean robot in the form of expression but i mentioned it as
They have to stand straight/correct posture which make people sometimes look stiff

& yes all royal do smile & make laugh at their selfs in public:) ex, Mary & her hat being blown away:flowers:

well, I didn't want to start a serious talk about what is more embarrasing, just a light joke :). Though Mary's hat incident was rather embarrasing too of course.
I know ;)
It's not important anyway .. Both incidents must have been uncomfortable.

For the most part I enjoy reading about people's opinions on Mary and other royals, but I am really getting tired of the constant grousing and sniping done by some posters who refuse to see anything positive about Mary at all --- the posts about her supposed fakeness, insincerety, even insinuations that she is a bad mother because she has a nanny or two.

After having browsed other royal sections, a lot of them seem to be Laetizia fans --- some sort of rivalry between Mary / Laetizia people?? I don't know much about her but she seems to be as accomplished and beautiful a CP as Mary is. They seem quite similar, in fact, so why all the vindictiveness?

I really don't understand why people have to be so catty. If you've got nothing good to say about someone, why must you post something negative about her in every single thread you can? It's quite disgusting. :sick:

Has it ever occured to you that the reason why Mary's accent is british is because her entire family is actually from Scotland? She IS scottish, so she probably grew up with a mix of Australian and Scottish/British accent, which could be why she speaks as she does. Coz her accent is not 100 % british, it's very australian too, but not totally entirely australian, no ..
On another site, which has now closed, a video clip of Mary working was posted. Her accent was very Australian and nothing like the "British" attempt she produced at the engagement interview.

I feel the same way about a certain queen who's had a nose job, wears too much makeup, parades around in signature gala gowns and even pauses for the right effect in front of the cameras.
What does Queen Rania have to do with Mary?

<Removed question that should be dealt with via PM-Mandy>

Mandy said:
You must wait until she opens her mouth to speak to make up your mind about her because if you only pay attention to the silly grin and the physical appearance, you will swear that she has nothing between the ears.
I have heard Mary speak, the Danish Culture Prize last year springs to mind. Her poor Danish was what stood out for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe this is a very dificult thread. None of us really knows Mary or has never really met her and talked to her, so all we can really give is an opinion on what Mary's personality seems like to us. Therefor it is not necessary for everyone to criticize each other for their opinion, because it's just that, an opinion and everyone is entitled to one. Without meaning to offend anyone, Mary has always seemed to have a very arrogant personalit to me. Someone who looks down on people and feels better than others ever since her wedding. A big fake in some moments. Pretending. In my opinion much more so than other princesses who seemed to have stayed more 'down to earth'. Of course, it's just my opinion.

I dont see a link between Mary's accent & her personality.. there is a thread where you can discuss her accent...

I believe this is a very dificult thread. None of us really knows Mary or has never really met her and talked to her, so all we can really give is an opinion on what Mary's personality seems like to us.

Wise words :flowers:

Therefor it is not necessary for everyone to criticize each other for their opinion, because it's just that, an opinion and everyone is entitled to one.
Yes eveyone is entitled to their own opinion & everyone should respect the opinion of the other poster, if we didnt differ on opinion, this wont be a fun place...

Without meaning to offend anyone, Mary has always seemed to have a very arrogant personalit to me. Someone who looks down on people and feels better than others ever since her wedding. A big fake in some moments. Pretending. In my opinion much more so than other princesses who seemed to have stayed more 'down to earth'. Of course, it's just my opinion.
I got that feeling when i sew her walk in&out of the cathedral on her wedding day. its easy to judge from looking at a person but looks are deceiving:flowers:a person might be so nice but they lack expression's or communication with people they dont know

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont see a link between Mary's accent & her personality.. there is a thread where you can discuss her accent...

There can be links between accent and personality. If a person is deliberately changing the way she speaks in order to appear to be of a different class, nationality, or educational level from her actual status, it can say quite a bit about her personality.

There can be links between accent and personality. If a person is deliberately changing the way she speaks in order to appear to be of a different class, nationality, or educational level from her actual status, it can say quite a bit about her personality.

Ahh I see what you mean...Thanks for clarifying it...

I think when learning a new language then its not that easy to learn it along with the accent it comes with practice & i dont think Mary does try to change her accent at all, I think also when talking in english, she has a very strong Australian accent. I will say its unfair to judge someone's accent of you dont know the language.
She seems to be very original to me. She might look proud sometimes but at the end of it all she looks warm at the sametime

Last edited:
Last edited:
I don't know much about Mary, so you could argue that what I am about to say is unfair.
Based on first impressions I didn't really like her, I can't put my finger on why. But now on the odd occasion I read an article about her, see a photo or watch a video, I like what I see, particularly when she is around children.

I don't personally have an issue on whether Mary is a 'clothes horse' or not, because she seems to work hard when she carries out her engagements and of course, who am I to comment on her level of Danish or her accent?
It seems to me that it is a difficult language to learn. I guess you could say that she has had 3 years or more to learn it.
But that is simply my opinion :flowers:

Ahhhhh, thanks, obviously than I must be fake, superficial and shallow too as some people puts it so nicely. After all my accent changes dependent with whom I have to speak. It wouldn't be appropriate to use my "accent" with which I usual speak with my family at my workplace.

Probably some of us don't have the right to grow out of our habits with time. We have to know our place and stick to it, at least if we aren't born in some life circumstances.

This is very, very offensive to Crown Princess Mary and also to some of us.

(Sorry Elsbeth that I'm using your post as starting point)

Last edited:
I think that image is what some people are determined to focus on even when she has visited sick children or the elderly. Her patronages covers a wide range from culture events, health care, diseases, and fashion. However it seems that even when all her non-fashion events surpasses those that are related fashion, it is the latter that gets berated for attending. I guess it is difficult to criticize a princess for attending a disease-related organization.;);)

Well obviously the internationally known designers wouldn't need any help in promoting and supporting the Spanish economy. It would be a worthy initiative to promote the new up and coming designers through whatever fashion councils Spain has. On the contrary about fashion not being counted as work, was it not last year Infanta Cristina attended the Telva Magazine Fashion Awards, yet it was considered by the royal house to be an official engagement.

i doubt anyone would critisize mary if she decided to attend disease-related events, just as no one critisized lady di for all her landmine and aids work outside the uk.

telva fashion awards seem to be counted for who ever goes. elena also attended once and it was in her official agenda. however, her visits to catwalks and fashion shows (and the same goes for jaime de marichalar) don't figure in their royal agendas, which i believe is a good thing.

i don't see anything wrong in mary attending fashion shows. what i doubt is whether attending those can qualify as "work" as such. i find it perfectly acceptable if she wants to attend a fashion show as private event. everyone likes something: some people like arts, some others like reading, some others prefer sports (such as frederik)... but his races don't figure in his official agenda... do they? in any case... if the chief of the court of the danish house considered attending fashion shows is an appropriate activity for a princess, i think it's quite a mild activity, which doesn't really require too much effort, imo.

i don't believe it's a bad thing to change your accent or speech. i find it sometimes important, as a sign of respect from people of other places to speak the more "international" version of your language, and if you can adjust to the language of the place you are in. it just shows respect to the land you are in and that you can adjust for the sake of being polite. it would be quite ridiculous if someone spoke with autoctonic words or with an uncomprehensible accent to someone else who doesn't understand it. in my country we say "where you go, do what you see". it simply has to do with good manners and being polite.

of course, trying to sound different for the sake of sounding "posher" or to change your personality are simply laughable things to try and a bit too ridiculous in my opinion.

I don't know much about Mary, so you could argue that what I am about to say is unfair.
Based on first impressions I didn't really like her, I can't put my finger on why. But now on the odd occasion I read an article about her, see a photo or watch a video, I like what I see, particularly when she is around children.

I don't personally have an issue on whether Mary is a 'clothes horse' or not, because she seems to work hard when she carries out her engagements and of course, who am I to comment on her level of Danish or her accent?
It seems to me that it is a difficult language to learn. I guess you could say that she has had 3 years or more to learn it.
But that is simply my opinion :flowers:

Usual I don't like comparisons. Still I can't resist. I must say I'm a bit flabbergasted. There is a certain Princess who has spent all her life in a bilingual country. She was the girlfriend of her Prince for three years and is now married with him for seven years, soon eight years. Still there are people who think this special princess speaks lousy one of the two languages of her home country. There is nearly now critic of this princess because of her very slow learning of the second language of her country. Maybe because she is noble?

Is it her personality that makes you follow her news?
I think it is everything about her. I like the"girl next door" factor. To me her personality comes across as warm and caring. She seems to be dedicated to serving Denmark in a very professional way. I like the fact her interests appear to be very diverse. Health issues, children, sports and fashion.
Of course I have never met her so it really is my personal opnion.

In the end, it doesn't really matter because C.Prince Frederick married her.

Mary does pay attention to how she looks more than some C.Princesses from the pictures taken and has dramatically changed her outlook since day one. She loves fashion and wants to look magazine ready at all times. It's her prerogative! Maybe Fred likes her this way? Who knows?

Honestly, if I were in her shoes, I would probably change myself too if I were so constantly photographed. But that's because image is rather important to me and I always want to look my best at every event. :p

Also, by marrying Fred and changing herself, she has made herself popular mainly in Aust and Europe. As long as we are discussing about the royals they will remain popular.

Mary's patronages I'm sure are determined by the government and fashion is a big part of it. So be it! Nothing wrong if a person loves fashion! Since I do not know her personally, I try not to judge. (Since I'm only human, I'll judge every other 5 seconds although I tell myself not to. Sigh! :))

I guess being a public figure, one does have to "act" a bit.

At the end of the day, she married the crown prince.

That's my two cents worth. Have a nice day. :)

Last edited:
Usual I don't like comparisons. Still I can't resist. I must say I'm a bit flabbergasted. There is a certain Princess who has spent all her life in a bilingual country. She was the girlfriend of her Prince for three years and is now married with him for seven years, soon eight years. Still there are people who think this special princess speaks lousy one of the two languages of her home country. There is nearly now critic of this princess because of her very slow learning of the second language of her country. Maybe because she is noble?

I think you my have misunderstood my post, or maybe I did yours. I'm being stupid here, but who exactly are you referring to?

Keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our opinion, which I fully respect, I have to make the following observation. I wonder where is the evidence for such condemnation and character assassination (yes, very strong words - that’s what I’m hearing) for a woman we don’t actually know.

For example, when you say: “Someone who looks down on people and feels better than others ever since her wedding” it’s hard not to question your opinion when statements like that are made. While I understand we will always have different opinions and perspectives, such accusations must be based on facts. In order to determined whether or not she looks down on people, you would need to be privy to her views and know her on a personal level. Such things cannot be judge just by looking at someone’s picture.

I think it is categorically unfair to talk about Mary in that regard simply because you don’t like her. I’m not in any way questioning anyone’s right to state an opinion; I am however challenging the basis for your argument. We can’t love everyone, and that’s perfectly understandable. But, we should not let our negative impressions cloud our objectivity.

Last edited:
Saint Mathilde of Belgium:angel::D?

Oh ok, that makes sense. ;)

Well my point was, I am in no position to comment on/criticize Mary's ability to speak Danish.

Do the Danish people or media comment on this issue? And how about Mathilde then? Do the Belgian media have an issue with Mathilde's language skills.

I don't want to take the focus away from Mary, but since it has been mentioned perhaps we could get more information?

Last edited:
Oh ok, that makes sense. ;)

Well my point was, I am in no position to comment on/criticize Mary's ability to speak Danish.

Do the Danish people or media comment on this issue? And how about Mathilde then? Do the Belgian media have an with Mathilde's language skills.

I don't want to take the focus away from Mary, but since it has been mentioned perhaps we could get more information?

Sorry, I don't want to start a discussion about Mathilde and I also don't want to step on the belgian part of the message board. The fact is it's possible to rip every CP into peaces if you wish. Nobody is perfect, not Mary and none of the other princesses.

To go back to the topic.

As others I don't know Mary so I cant really judge her personality. Though I like what I've seen so far very much. I wouldn't have anything against her as my crown princess if we would still have a monarchy.

No, arrogance and superficiality go so well with royal princesses - like the right clutch with the perfect Chanel outfit. Let's not have Mary change one teensy weensy bit.

Arrogance is good in the right place, it really is, :angel:and if a palace is not the right place for it then there is no place for arrogance left!

We can't have that! :royalrobes:

I disagree. Arrogance is never good - especially if you are a member of the royal family who are goodwill ambassadors of their country. Also, their priveleged lifestyle is being supported by taxpayers.

:flowers:
Keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our opinion, which I fully respect, I have to make the following observation. I wonder where is the evidence for such condemnation and character assassination (yes, very strong words - that’s what I’m hearing) for a woman we don’t actually know.

For example, when you say: “Someone who looks down on people and feels better than others ever since her wedding” it’s hard not to question your opinion when statements like that are made. While I understand we will always have different opinions and perspectives, such accusations must be based on facts. In order to determined whether or not she looks down on people you would need to be privy to her views and know her on a personal level. Such things cannot be judge just by looking at someone’s picture.

I think it is categorically unfair to talk about Mary in that regard simply because you don’t like her. I’m not in any way questioning anyone’s right to state an opinion; I am however challenging the basis for your argument. We can’t love everyone, and that’s perfectly understandable. However, we should not let our negative impression clouds our objectivity.

My dearest Chimene. I believe you were referring to my post when talking about her looking down on people. What you have to understand is that it is just an opinion of mine, nothing more. I definitely didn't mean to attack her, which is what I tried explaining in the first part of my post, because that is not the kind of person I am. What I don't understand however is why everyone is always attacking others and in your words assesination of opinions. Yes, what I say is only based on somebody's picture and some short videos. But there again, isn't everyone's opinion based just on that? I would love to go over and have tea sometime and let her prove me I'm wrong, but I doubt I'll get that opportunity. The only moments Mary really seems like a friendly and nice person to me, is when she is around her children, and not minding the press too much. SO yes maybe I am wrong and in privite she's not like I think she is, but there again I never said I was right.:flowers: Please remember this thred was created (I believe) to let people give opinions on Mary;s personality, not only positive things, but also less positive.

Mary is perfect in her princess role, always well-dressed, well coiffed and regal. She takes her role seriously and seems to understand what is expected of her.

However, I have a feeling if I were to meet her in person I probably would not like her. She does appear snobbish in some of the videos I have seen and that fake upper class accent is off-putting.

I know this thread is about Mary, but one of the most frequent complaints about Letizia is her boring news reporter's outfits that she recycles frequently. In this respect, Letizia is different from the other princesses because her style has not changed so much since her marriage to Felipe.

Ijust a general viewpoint, i dont mean to comapre the two in anyway
One has the choice to change or not, outfit wise.. You wear what you think is comftable, and appealing to you which others might love or hate & some like to experiment new things....ex, Letizia wore proffesional suits beofre Felipe & still does, suits are worn by royals as well on the other hand, Mary used to wear very casual cloths, cropped pants & tee's, wearing that outto an event as a crown princess would be a disaster...

Mary from day1 proved that she was up for it, she has become one of the most watched royals if im not mistaken, she is a Crown princess now, future Queen...she cant stay living the normal life she used to have....

Last edited:
In my role as moderator, I would like to see this topic move on productively. This topic was indeed created to let everyone express their opinions, and views on Mary. Now whilst bearing in mind the rules of this forum, I would like to open the floor to those of you who have a less than glowing view of Crown Princess Mary.

What I mean by this is that many of you who have a less than stellar opinion of Mary have stated your opinion quite clearly. What I want to know is why, BASED ON FACTS , those opinions have been formed. For example, has she made some terrible gaffe in her speeches, lied to government about her past, or other such verifiable fact? If you do not like her based on what you have seen, then that is of course your right, but I think in order to move this topic along, and out of the realm of simple feelings and into fact, I would like to know if there is any reason for the very strong feelings FOR and AGAINST Mary.

Please be nice and state your posts in a non offensive and conversational manner. And by that I mean civilized and sensible arguments for or against are welcome. Any confrontational or rude posts will be deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom