Princess Mary's Personality

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know what her personality is like, I never met the lady. Since pictures are what I have to go by, my impression is:
• She seems to love children - that’s a winner in my book.
• She’s sporty and friendly - you can see the enthusiasm all over her face during sporting events and her interaction with people.
• She’s reserved in public – I appreciate someone who knows how to carry herself. It leaves something to be desired.
• She’s always well dressed, therefore takes good care of her appearance. I would hope so; I certainly would not be interested in looking at some scruffy princess. If those points are any indications, I like what I see!

Last edited:
The main reason for my interest with princess Mary is that she's the best dressed crown princess in Europe right now. Her style has become more conservative after she cut her hair. I preferred her with long her. Mary has that something. She is very feminine, her style modern but a bit fairy tale like(before she cut her hair) matches her role. She seems shy and private person, on the other hand she is down-to-earth woman. She warms up when she is with her children. She may appear distant because of her shyness. Overall I like Mary.:flowers:

I agree.

I think she's calculating, artificial and superficial. I certainly doubt I could spend more than 10 minutes discussing anything of any real value with her.

I feel the same way about a certain queen who's had a nose job, wears too much makeup, parades around in signature gala gowns and even pauses for the right effect in front of the cameras. You must wait until she opens her mouth to speak to make up your mind about her because if you only pay attention to the silly grin and the physical appearance, you will swear that she has nothing between the ears.

Uh...I think I'm repeating myself here, for I will say the same than in Spanish thread for Princess Letizia . One can like or dislike a person, but still discuss the matter in an educate way, without passions and ridicoulous adjetivations.

I can certainly agree with people who objects some Princes Mary's traits, but we must be very careful about word we are using to depict her. We must not write as if we were payed pens from a yellow magazine. Princes mary could be vulgar or not, but we should try no to be vulgar ourselves when we begins to call other people names.

Worth of Monarchy cannot be saved by people who can't restraint themselves and burst into insults.

I'm one of these who think that the last marriages of the last generation of European Princes and Princess were not as perfect as they must have been, but we must analyze the phenomene, trying to understand which historical, political and social issues brought Royals to have the behavior they have nowadays, and why we call ourselves Monarchist. Here there are Monarchist who loves current Royals and doesn't see the lesser defaults in them; there are others, like me, who seems that Monarchy has reached a state of decadence never seen before, but it's no use to resume the state of things saying: "This Princess is vulgar" or "her accent sounds British" or "she is arrogant"...Behind these assertions you must analyze why Royals of nowadays seems to have a weakness for daughters or sons of entreprise men, why they are educated as students in marketing rather than as Princes, why Royals are all mixed up with rockers, actors and people of the bussiness world and passed from being rulers to being merely "famous", with their club of fans and all. I mean: we must think about the world we are living in right now.

Oh, yes...Princess Mary could be or not be "vulgar", but just think that it was Prince Frederick who choose her as his wife. The one who needs to be analyzed is him, not her.

Sorry, but the issue is more complex that it seems to be...:neutral:

Vanesa.

She sounds Australian to me. She'd never pass as British in England.

Absolutely, I thoroughly agree, she just sounds like an Australian making an abortive attempt to speak English with a 'posh' accent.

I agree.

I think she's calculating, artificial and superficial. I certainly doubt I could spend more than 10 minutes discussing anything of any real value with her.

I find it very interesting.....if I find something calculating, artificial and superficial, i generally wont go near the subject nor be a prominent poster in this persons threads, because it simply wouldnt interest me, unless of course, im interested:)

For me CP Mary seems to be very arrogant and not very spontaneous or humorous. She tries to be always "Princess Perfect". Everything is intended t.ex. every smile.

My impression too; she misconstrues her purpose during her appearances, instead of being an integral part of the event, she manipulates the procedure (visually of course, we have only photographs after all!) so that she becomes the main item.

I feel the same way about a certain queen who's had a nose job, wears too much makeup, parades around in signature gala gowns and even pauses for the right effect in front of the cameras. You must wait until she opens her mouth to speak to make up your mind about her because if you only pay attention to the silly grin and the physical appearance, you will swear that she has nothing between the ears.

Who would that be?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm intrigued. Paris Hilton? Dame Edna? Oh no, it has to be good old Queen Elizabeth II.
I wonder how it can be said that Mary manipulates the camera's to become the main item. Surely the media have made her that way, if the pictures weren't printed we would have no idea about her personality and I know that if I were taken from being 'just the girl next door' to Cinderella, I would love every moment of it. Beautiful gowns, tiara's, opera's, meeting famous people, the media! The list goes on. Every little girl wants to be a princess and good on Mary for making the most of it. I wonder how many RF posters are a little jealous of what she has achieved :queen4:

She's young Queen a , she's had a nose a job, and her closet full of high end designer clothing is unmatchable by any of the European Crown Princesses.

Those clues should do it!;)

She's young Queen a , she's had a nose a job, and her closet full of high end designer clothing is unmatchable by any of the European Crown Princesses.

Call me a little daft but I seriously don't know which Queen you are all talking about. Help me out please :ohmy:

Her name starts with R ;)

Let's get back on topic !

Thanks for the help with that one! - took me a while to catch on to the fact that it was the very attractive, and industrious Queen Rania that was referred to, and you're right, back on topic!

I actually think that Mary is a bit shy by nature. Frederik seems to be the more extrovert one of the two anyway. Perhaps the shyness caused that she could look a bit stiff at times, especially in the beginning, but we can hardly blame her for that (well, I don't as I share this characteristic with the Princess).

Under the circumstances (i.e. learning a new language, living in a foreign country, learning the duties of a crown princess, giving the royal family two beautiful and healthy children, behaving in a way befitting her station) I think Mary has done a superb job. If she falters in any way -- her actions are immediately jumped upon, her choice of clothes and "style" is minutely criticised, her relationship to her husband is dissected daily.

I hope she is oblivious to the criticisms and stays the course. I don't presume to know what she is like personally. I just like what I see.

I think this is one problem, too: She is (just) doing a good job! But it is necessary, that she realizes, that she is a human... (with mistakes, with the possibility to laugh at herself, to be a little bit self-deprecating,...)

She is too much... like a robot

Last edited:

Well said imo, i do know who you mean & i agree.

I find her shy but confident. Always looks intrested in what she is doing.
I know where stiffness/robot comes in, but as royals, i think almost all of them look like that. They have to stand straight/correct posture which make people sometimes look stiff, so i dont think its her choice.

She also seems like a person who you'd bump into on the sidewalk/coffee shop/shop, you could start a small conversation or even walk up to and say hello, how are the children...

Last edited by a moderator:
Has it ever occured to you that the reason why Mary's accent is british is because her entire family is actually from Scotland? She IS scottish, so she probably grew up with a mix of Australian and Scottish/British accent, which could be why she speaks as she does. Coz her accent is not 100 % british, it's very australian too, but not totally entirely australian, no ..

in any case, her accent would be quite scottish and not as english as it is now. she doesn't have a single bit of scottish accent. i'd say she sounds a bit more english.

... and she has probably been three times a royal than most european crown princesses, if not all of them. i think that explains why her wardrobe is so extensive. but in any case... before she married the king she had the money and adquisitive power to buy the same clothes she buys now. it's not like she became lucky and started some compulsive shopping behaviour with her husband's money. why would she change? if we don't critisize middle-class, normal people, such as mary or mette marit, because of now buying prada... why should we critisize her, who has always bought nice, expensive clothing for herself? i have the impression some people get carried away by the whole "girl next door" business.

coming back to mary's personality, i will have to agree with what some people here said about mary. she looks frivolous and superficial to me. perhaps it's the whole clothing factor, how she posed for vogue or her suspicious amount of support to the danish fashion industry. yes... she has to dress nice and give a good impression, vogue, dansk and women's weekly photoshoots were ages ago and she has more groups she visits than the fashion ones but... that's how i see it. she comes across as a very aloof looking person and who enjoys the press attention. i doubt she is a bad person either and perhaps she gains a bit more in closer distances (or not), but that's how i see her from a distance.

a person close to royalty who shared some moments (and believe continues to does so every so often) with her explained to me once how she spoke all the time about fashion and especifically about prada. he simply nodded and smiled...;)

on the plus side, i think her image couldn't be more improved and that her fashion adviser is doing a great job. the same goes for her make up artist, as her make up is always picture perfect. but now again... i'm not sure if i want someone who looks every inch stylish rather than an intelligent person who tries to do her best in her national an international role. maxima is a good example of this: she sometimes doesn't look that great, but everyone in the netherlands loves her because of her hard work (and she never attended a fashion show in her 5 years as princess!).

Last edited:
... her suspicious amount of support to the danish fashion industry.

Why is the time she spends supporting the Danish fashion industry suspicious? :ermm: The fashion industry in Denmark is a large part of the country's economy

I find her shy but confident. Always looks intrested in what she is doing.
I know where stiffness/robot comes in, but as royals, i think almost all of them look like that. They have to stand straight/correct posture which make people sometimes look stiff, so i dont think its her choice.

She also seems like a person who you'd bump into on the sidewalk/coffee shop/shop, you could start a small conversation or even walk up to and say hello, how are the children...

Not every royal looks like a robot:
CP Maxima is very hearty and her smile is inartificial. She IS a human.
CP Mette-Marit is also very hearty and very natural.

Both can laugh at themselves...

Last edited:
Why is the time she spends supporting the Danish fashion industry suspicious? :ermm: The fashion industry in Denmark is a large part of the country's economy

so i read, but even so all her patronages are of the same calibre. if she attends x quantity of events for one of them, i think it's just fair that the attends the same amount of events for the others. fashion shows or fairs with young people, wearing nice clothes are always a lot nicer and more entertaining to attend than visiting sick children at the hospital or the elderly. that contributes to a frivolous image of her, in my opinion, and it's all about public image and what people see you doing.

besides, spain also has a great number of important internationally recognized designers (balenciaga, manolo blahnik...) and we never saw letizia attending one of them. elena does so mainly because of the duke of lugo's involvement with fashion, but those fashion shows she attends are totally appart from her official agenda, which is dedicated to a number of cultural and philantropic activities, and DO NOT count as "work" for her, but as the simply pleasure of supporting the spanish economy, art and creativity.

Last edited:

That's true. It's a different character, affectionate, natural, ability to laugh about themselves, a bit easy going, not afraid of people.

Don't want to start a comparison here but if you put Maxima & MM in one corner, I'd put Mary & Letizia in another. I described Mary earlier as a bit distant, not connecting to people in the first second but very professional and intelligent. Same goes for Letizia. Mary may be more stylish and put more emphasis on clothing but both are good for their countries. People are different and have their strenghts and weaknesses (and those cannot always be identified from a picture) and no CP can afford to present a stupid superficial doll to his country as the future queen and I don't think any of them did.

And Mary can't ?

Honestly, I can not think of a more embarassing moment than the day before your wedding, where all of Frederik's family from Denmark, Greece and Berlebrug are gathered, together with the members of the parliament, who are about to hand over their wedding gift to the couple.. And Mary's hat flyes off ! She handled it with dignity.. She laughed at herself :D

http://i14.tinypic.com/522r344.jpg

http://i15.tinypic.com/4vofcrn.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/66mg10y.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/6gwzio9.jpg

I agree.

I agree . Since the first time I saw her, I don't like the way she seems to be : arrogant, fake, even her smiles don't seem to be genuine . I don't know why and I can't explain why but there is something about her that makes me feel ill at ease ...:sick:

Last edited:
... and she has probably been three times a royal than most european crown princesses, if not all of them. i think that explains why her wardrobe is so extensive.

I am referring to her designer clothing. None of the European crown princesses wears the high-end designer labels that Rania wears as frequently as she does.

but in any case... before she married the king she had the money and adquisitive power to buy the same clothes she buys now. it's not like she became lucky and started some compulsive shopping behaviour with her husband's money. why would she change? if we don't critisize middle-class, normal people, such as mary or mette marit, because of now buying prada... why should we critisize her, who has always bought nice, expensive clothing for herself? i have the impression some people get carried away by the whole "girl next door" business.

I beg to differ. Rania came from an upper-middle class family. Yes she lived comfortably, but I highly doubt that she bought routinely bought high end designer clothing or even couture. Rania never had the money or clout before her marriage to live and dress the way now she does. In that respect she is no different than the other crown princesses, or dear I say Mary.:rolleyes:

And Mary can't ?

Honestly, I can not think of a more embarassing moment than the day before your wedding, where all of Frederik's family from Denmark, Greece and Berlebrug are gathered, together with the members of the parliament, who are about to hand over their wedding gift to the couple.. And Mary's hat flyes off ! She handled it with dignity.. She laughed at herself :D

http://i14.tinypic.com/522r344.jpg

http://i15.tinypic.com/4vofcrn.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/66mg10y.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/6gwzio9.jpg
I personally can't see what so embarrassing about It. I think that Letizia's skirt incident was embarrassing though and what I liked about It that she just moved on doing her business.

As for Mary, she looks to me like a very insecure person who made alot of effort trying to became whatever she think a princess/ famous woman should be.

Last edited:
This is not a comparison thread. We are not here to talk about rania, Mazima, Mette-Marit, Mathilde, or the jolly green giant. We are here to talk about Mary's personality, or at least the bit that we can discern from pictures and video.

Let's get back on topic. Any further referrences to other princesses or Queens will be deleted without further notice.

Empress - Danish Forums Mods

I think it is important that we acknowledge where Mary has come from. Yes, Australia is a constitutional monarchy with Queen Elizabeth II as our Head of State, but we are very rarely visited by royalty and other than in the gossip magazines' terrible articles the royal families of Europe do not figure much in our lives. There is still a certain aura of mystery, pomp and "otherworldliness" about royalty here.

I think that it is possible, nay probable, that Mary is perhaps not demonstrating the "naturalness" and spontaneity some would wish for because she's doing her best to fit into a world which must still be very strange for her in so many ways. I can't imagine what it would be like to suddenly have my photograph everywhere, and my every move and gesture scrutinised. I don't think we see Mary's "true" personality on show because of that very reason - she is always "on show".

so i read, but even so all her patronages are of the same calibre. if she attends x quantity of events for one of them, i think it's just fair that the attends the same amount of events for the others. fashion shows or fairs with young people, wearing nice clothes are always a lot nicer and more entertaining to attend than visiting sick children at the hospital or the elderly. that contributes to a frivolous image of her, in my opinion, and it's all about public image and what people see you doing..

I think that image is what some people are determined to focus on even when she has visited sick children or the elderly. Her patronages covers a wide range from culture events, health care, diseases, and fashion. However it seems that even when all her non-fashion events surpasses those that are related fashion, it is the latter that gets berated for attending. I guess it is difficult to criticize a princess for attending a disease-related organization.;);)

besides, spain also has a great number of important internationally recognized designers (balenciaga, manolo blahnik...) and we never saw letizia attending one of them. elena does so mainly because of the duke of lugo's involvement with fashion, but those fashion shows she attends are totally appart from her official agenda, which is dedicated to a number of cultural and philantropic activities, and DO NOT count as "work" for her, but as the simply pleasure of supporting the spanish economy, art and creativity

Well obviously the internationally known designers wouldn't need any help in promoting and supporting the Spanish economy. It would be a worthy initiative to promote the new up and coming designers through whatever fashion councils Spain has. On the contrary about fashion not being counted as work, was it not last year Infanta Cristina attended the Telva Magazine Fashion Awards, yet it was considered by the royal house to be an official engagement.

But Mary laughs, too. She has a natural approach when you watch the videos. She obviously enjoys being around people, be they old or young. And I don't believe we will ever find out with her that she secretly visited a lover at night in a hospital only to explain it, when being caught by a reporter, "that she secretly visits sick patients at night to offer them comfort without public scrutiny". Now there you had your hypocrite - not in Denmark!

But Mary laughs, too. She has a natural approach when you watch the videos. She obviously enjoys being around people, be they old or young. And I don't believe we will ever find out with her that she secretly visited a lover at night in a hospital only to explain it, when being caught by a reporter, "that she secretly visits sick patients at night to offer them comfort without public scrutiny". Now there you had your hypocrite - not in Denmark!

who did that, if i may ask? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom