The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress
I don't think that I have ever seen Mary wearing anything "trendy" like celebrities do. I think that she always looks well put together and classic. May I ask you to point me in the direction of a trendy, celebrity like Mary? As far as I can see she is generally in a suit, or at least a dress, pant or skirt combo.
I dont know what you mean about that, surly she has been seen in clothes also worn be celbreties, not that she is the only Princess who does that. AND BTW celbreties can also look well put together and classic, not a royal fenonomen theese days really

some examples
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3608/bossdi4.jpg
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/1...elpradatw0.jpg
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/2...gepradasr5.jpg
and then the purpel McQueen which Naomi Campell and Oprah wore as well, and the Black Prada blouse with red flowers which everyone and their dog wore at one moment in different versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by empress
The Crown Princess is Patron of those organizations listed below. As you may see, only one item is Fashion.

You listed it and AFAI can see there are Two, CIFF and Designers Nest.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

You are quite right about the fashion thing being two. My apologies. However, Designers nest helps young designers, so maybe that is not actually "fashion" as we see it. By the way Mette Marit is the patron of the Norwegian design Council.

Larzen - Thank you for the examples. However, those are really not things that I consider trendy. I consider all of those classy and tasteful articles of clothing, no matter who wears them. At the end of the day however, we are all a bit of a slave to trends I guess, as we have to buy what is available in the stores.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
You are quite right about the fashion thing being two. My apologies. However, Designers nest helps young designers, so maybe that is not actually "fashion" as we see it. By the way Mette Marit is the patron of the Norwegian design Council.
Yes she is but if you check out their page its not really about fashion, but about furniture, kitchen wear, safety equippment etc etc, of course they also do some events related to fashion but it is not their main business

and as an BTW I dont mid royals getting involved in fashion,as long as it is not their core activity, and IMO when they choose to do it one should not be suprised that the press notices it and makes a point out of them not always putting their money where their mouth is
Old 06-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

So to some (not referring to anyone in particular) is the discussion about Mary should not be seen in designer wear? Or dress like a celebrity? what happens when a CP & celebrity have the same taste well, if she's got the money, why not spend it?!Doesnt everyone of us want to look good...
& why is the argument on fashion when Mary supports other things such as what Empress has listed below...

Quote:

The Crown Princess is Patron of those organizations listed below. As you may see, only two items are anything to do with Fashion. So if we are to judge her without knowing her, lets do it with the full picture.

Social and Health:
Children's Aid Foundation
Danish Association for Mental Health
Rare Disorders Denmark
The Alannah & Madeline Foundation - The Alannah & Madeline Foundation in Australia provides support for children who are victims of violent crime or sudden family loss, through its Children Ahead Program, as well as runs an anti-bullying initiative for schools, called the Better Buddies Program, in conjunction with the Federal Government’s National Safe School Framework (NSSF), which is also supported by the State and Territory Governments.

The Christmas Seal Foundation - The Christmas seal are used to raise money to help children.
The Danish Brain Injury Association
The Danish Heart Association
The Danish Kidney Association
The Danish Mental Health Fund
World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe

Sport:
The Danish Golf Union
The Danish Swimming Federation

Culture:
The Children's Choir of the Royal Academy of Music
The Danish Arts and Crafts Association
The Danish Cultural Institute

Fashion:
Copenhagen International Fashion Fair
Designers Nest

More information can be found on the website of the Crown Princess, with links to more information regarding these organizations.

Please also look at http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ges-12579.html for more information on Royal Patronages.
Quote:
You will also see that Princess Marys organizations are on par with all of the other CPs. Maxima had a career in banking and micro credit before her marriage, and so she chooses to combine that with her work as Princess. More power to her I say. Unfortunately Marys career before her marriage does not really fit in with continuing her PR work after marriage. We all know what happened to Sophie Rhys Jones when she did that.
I agree Empress.
Mary has done beyond her field & is doing well, whether she does what she used to do before now while a CP is total up to her but I just do not see her fitting it in as a CP also, she has chosen a few better things to focus on imo
Old 06-30-2007, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

I think the fact many of us think Mary is a proud, cold, unapprochable person is due to the fact she seems to be a prefectionist (might not be) in the way she does stuff ex, carry her self, walk, talk, dress etc...& sometimes in expensive designer wear but that doesnt change who you are in the inside. You cant judge people on appearance.
Sometimes the most simplist person is the most snubbish person & the most unapprochable, frown person is the most nicest you'll ever meet. I dont think because if she smiles or not, or seems to dress in a loud way(colorful outfits) means they are nicer, this would be due to different tastes...
Old 06-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, maybe design of those type of articles is what is part of the industry in Norway, and fashion less so. I do not know, as I am not familiar with those countries to that extent. But I imagine that fashion design is important to the Danish industy, as that is what I have heard. None the less, it is in no way the majority of her patronages, so I do not think that she should be judged by that one thing.

At the end of the day, I guess what it boils down to for me is that I do not have dozens of photographers running around after me just waiting to get a picture of something that they can criticize. I don't care what anyone says, criticism, constructive or not is never pleasant, especially when it is about your appearance. Criticism hurts, and I think that most of us would go out of our way to avoid that. I would not be at all surprised if Mary tried to avoid it as well. Heaven knows that there are enough people in/around her life that would love the opportunity.

Unfortunately it is human nature to try and find fault, and never more so than with people who are better off.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Well, I understand your points ysbel. However, I am certainly not a person who is always well put together. At the moment, I have on no makeup, jeans and a t shirt from Hema/ H&M. And I also agree that we have to make opinions based on what is available to us. But why is it so hard to believe that she is making the effort to look good as a sign of respect for those around her? I think were she to show up at one of her patronages with no make up,ripped jeans and a sloppy tshirt, it would cause far more talk than what she now wears.

I also agree that Marys role is an extension of her former role. However she can not do as much in public with her previous career as say Maxima can. Her previous role did not really take her into the realm of helping those in need, whereas Maximas did to an extent.

And when I see someone well put together, it depends on what I know of them as to what I think. If it is say Ivana Trump, well, I don't ave a high opinion of her as I honesty think that there is little that she does to help those that are less fortunate than her. What I try to think of when I see a person well put together is that they are trying their best to let those around them know that what they are doing is important enough to them to make an effort.

I work in Public Relations and Communications. In a way, I am the outward face of a company. It is expected that I look well put together and presentable. I don't think that any company that I would or do work for would hire/ have hired me if I had presented myself in the same way that I walk around my own home.

Who knows what Mary wears at home. We do know that she wears jeans and t shirts and casual clothes when she is out and about on non official duties. So I would imagine that she puts her very best face forward, as we would all likely do, for her job. This is her job, and she dresses for her job I believe.
I hadn't thought that Empress but you're right, Mary is actually dressing for the job. If anyone judged my personality by what I dressed like on my job, they would be so totally offbase as to be ridiculous.

I know some guys at the office that are very corporate and professional in the office but who are anything but professional when they step out of the office.

I agree Mary's previous role in public relations doesn't lend itself to a royal role with a charity helping the less fortunate. But it doesn't bother me that she doesn't.

In fact, the one thing that bothers me about royal watching is the tendency to think less of them if they don't visibly do something to help the unfortunate. I'm not against helping the unfortunate if that is really what someone's passion is but I hate to see more unfortunate people being used as props to make a royal look kind and caring. If the royal doesn't have a feel for that kind of thing, I think its better that they stay away from those types of charities and leave it to the royals who can have that passion authentically.

But that is just my little pet peeve which may be shared by nobody!
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Nope I share that pet peeve with you. I would be more impressed if I learned about things inadvertantly where the royals had been out to help, without expecting some sort of placement in return. I agree, the unfortunate should not be used as props! 100 % agree.

At the same time, perhaps the charities ask for the press so that the get more attention in public than they normally would. I imagine that is part of being a patron, bringing attention to underfunded or ignored causes. Charities are generally non profit, so they need all the funds they can get. And I'll tell you what, when it comes to little ones, children, all the better!
Old 06-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Aristocracy

If any of the negative ascribed to Mary was really true, the first place to find dissatisfaction with the crownprincess behavior would be in her own back yeard at home in the country she represents.

It allways starts at home if there is some truths to it.

This same applies to any royal female or male in any country.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Serene Highness

Red face

Just for the record, I'll admit I haven't read all the posts but I keep seeing the word superficial coming up right after I made a post using the word superficial. However, I'm not sure people have understood me in my post so for the record I wanted to better explain. When I used the word superficial I meant it about myself. I was not in any way calling Mary or Frederik superficial. Basically I was saying that when I think about and look at Mary all I look to see is what she is wearing. Not sure how it happened but Mary seems to be the front runner when it comes to innovative fashion, more so then the other princesses. I know she has patronages, I know she has a real purpose. But my main reason when paying attention to Mary is to see what she is wearing. Now that is a very superficial admittance from me. And to be honest I'm only like that when it comes to Mary. When it comes to other royals I want to know more about their causes, it's very weird, I know!

To answer ysbel's question about whether I think Mary shows a professional side of herself. Yes, I do. I think she is very professional from everything that I have seen of her. It's really weird for me I have nothing against Mary but if I was to make a list of my favorite princesses she wouldn't be on my list. But we all see things different and like different things about different people. It's just how humanity works.

Please understand I'm just being honest and talking only about myself and how I see things I am not meaning to offend or disrespect anyone.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargreteI View Post
If any of the negative ascribed to Mary was really true, the first place to find dissatisfaction with the crownprincess behavior would be in her own back yeard at home in the country she represents.

It allways starts at home if there is some truths to it.

This same applies to any royal female or male in any country.

SKÆLDER UD PÅ MARY OG FREDERIK - Kendte Danmark - SE og HØR

For your perusal, from C P Mary's back yard.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Can anyone comment on the reliability of Se og Hor? And unfortunately I do not speak danish, so I've no idea what that is saying. Also, can anyone say when that article was published?
Old 06-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Jes Dorph-Petersen is a well respected journalist who has covered the Danish royals forever. He also was one of the main correspondants for the Danish Royal wedding and he will be covering tomorrow's christening via TV2. If he is concerned about the state of the DRF, well, perhaps there is something a miss.

Not everyone in Denmark are crazy about their royal family, as some would like to believe, however, there is a healthy balance. Obviously the DRF cannot please everyone so there will always some discontent.

Se og Hor is a tacky gossip magazine, but at times they are frighteningly accurate. The article was published this week. It says that people, noteably Jes, is wondering why Frederik and Mary haven't been open to the Danish people and wonders why they haven't given an open interview to them especially after the Danes went out of their way, gave them a big wedding, presented them with thousands of gifts, and so forth. Unlike the Aussie media which he believes they have courted more than the Danish media:

Quote:
After the large wedding and thousands of gifts sent to the couple There went after considered a large wedding by they, where whole Denmark celebrate they, and they overdængede they by gifts. They giving a interviews to Australian television, however danish has yet no consulted...

He seems to be annoyed by their behavior specifically Mary in which he states, "...that Mary has yet to sound Danish." He goes on to say that "...he a bit unsympathetic towards kronprinseparret [Crown Prince couple]..."

Jes has always been a huge supporter of the DRF so his concerns should be taken seriously, at least I think so because this type of rant from him is way out of the norm.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Ahhhaaa! Well I will tell you this, working in PR and having to deal with the very delicate (read persnickity and entitled feeling) feelings of the press/journalists at times, they do have a very big ego often, and also one in which it does not do to ignore or irritate them as they will bite back hard.

When working in PR it is alot of the time about kissing up to the journalists. I will tell you this, having tried mulitple times to get into Walt Mossberg or David Pogues (NY Times, Wall Street Journal) columns, I have never dealt with such large egos. They do have a very large opinion of themselves, and not only do you have to have the biggest and best new thing on the block, but you also have to kiss up. To put it in perspective, Apple only gave out 4 of the new Iphones for review before the launch this week, and two went to the reporters mentioned above, who in their own way slammed it.

Lesson: Do not piss off the press.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Nope I share that pet peeve with you. I would be more impressed if I learned about things inadvertantly where the royals had been out to help, without expecting some sort of placement in return. I agree, the unfortunate should not be used as props! 100 % agree.

At the same time, perhaps the charities ask for the press so that the get more attention in public than they normally would. I imagine that is part of being a patron, bringing attention to underfunded or ignored causes. Charities are generally non profit, so they need all the funds they can get. And I'll tell you what, when it comes to little ones, children, all the better!
Well that may be the benefit of having a whole royal family. I think that there would be one royal who would more act as a partner to the charity organization and helps out in a lot more ways on a regular basis that the more high profile royal could not because of competing engagements. Some of the minor members of the British royal family do get very involved in their charities. But for an event where the awareness must be heightened and the minor royal isn't enough of a publicity draw, then an event could be planned to which the high profile royal lends their glamour and presence?
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Ahhhaaa! Well I will tell you this, working in PR and having to deal with the very delicate (read persnickity and entitled feeling) feelings of the press/journalists at times, they do have a very big ego often, and also one in which it does not do to ignore or irritate them as they will bite back hard.

When working in PR it is alot of the time about kissing up to the journalists. I will tell you this, having tried mulitple times to get into Walt Mossberg or David Pogues (NY Times, Wall Street Journal) columns, I have never dealt with such large egos. They do have a very large opinion of themselves, and not only do you have to have the biggest and best new thing on the block, but you also have to kiss up. To put it in perspective, Apple only gave out 4 of the new Iphones for review before the launch this week, and two went to the reporters mentioned above, who in their own way slammed it.

Lesson: Do not piss off the press.
Interesting, the little bastards! As you can tell, I'm not a fan of the rag press!

I'm no fan of the rag press, but this is not the first time I have heard that the PR around Mary and Fred have courted the Australian media more than the Danish media and that can have the unfortunate effect of rubbing people the wrong way since they are the Crown Prince and Princess of Denmark.

What is the truth behind these stories? Do the Danes think that Fred and Mary have been neglecting the Danish public and press and giving the Australian press special treatment that they would not give the Danes or is it just a matter of big bruised egos?
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 06-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Can anyone comment on the reliability of Se og Hor? And unfortunately I do not speak danish, so I've no idea what that is saying. Also, can anyone say when that article was published?

That magazine is a tabloid and have had the dubious honour of being packed up and send back because newsstands did not want it on the shelf.

Guess what kind of reliability they have ?

Old 06-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Do you have a reliable source to back up your claims?

If this were true, that magazine would have gone out of business ages ago.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
Do you have a reliable source to back up your claims?

If this were true, that magazine would have gone out of business ages ago.
When they offered 10.000 for the first picture of Mary many newsstands send the magazine back to the publisher. The same took place when they ran an article during the tournament about a national footie whos parents where murdered. The same took place during the Tsunami when they ran a frontpage with bodies on the beach.

This is just a few I can remember. Im sure I have missed some.

Newsstands sometimes do that here when they think Se & HOR goes to far.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Very interesting. Do you have reported facts to back this up (meaning reports about this from other magazines and so forth?)

BACK ON TOPIC!