The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #141  
Old 06-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Saphire's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Havre de Grace, United States
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Hsu View Post
A new book about European princesses - 'Profession: Prinsesse''written by Swedish journalist Catarina Hurtig showing portraits of 10 Europe's young princesses, for example Mary, Victoria, Letizia, Mette-Marit, Alexandra etc. Mary is praised in a new book as below :

QUOTE
Verdens bedste prinsesse – The world’s best Princess

- Mary is praised in a new book: 'Profession: Prinsesse'

"Mary is one of the princesses in Europe who has succeeded, perhaps the one who has done best in her job. She has the warm sides in her which can reach out both high and low. She is nice, open and smiling at all times and everywhere. But she also keeps a certain Royal distance so that she does not become “too common”. She always looks princess perfect – no matter where or when she is seen or photographed. And then the fact that she “did what she had to” and gave birth to a lovely boy the first time and now also a girl helps as well, says Catarina Hurtig."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...rinaHurtig.jpg

Thanks to ambiDK at the CPMMB for the above translation!
I find it kind of funny that she is being praised for something that she really had no control over, the sex of her firstborn.
__________________

  #142  
Old 06-29-2007, 10:56 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
But I was not referring to fashion or sports- her choice of patronages in general is definitely relevant to her character as all personal choices are to everyone so please, why are you using my quote.
juliana, the short answer to your question is that I wanted to show how two women with very different characters both shared a passion for fashion. Their passion for fashion doesn't dictate that they have the same or even similar characters.

So my conclusion is that though we are able to tell something of Mary's character from her choice of fashion patronages, it is my opinion, that we can not tell very much about her character from her choice of fashion patronages.

You may have a different opinion and that is fine too.
__________________

__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #143  
Old 06-29-2007, 11:05 PM
WindsorIII's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tucson, United States
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimene View Post
To put it quite simply, I like thinking positively in general. Everyone has flaws and Mary is no exception. In terms of her personality, of course we are free to speculate (positive or negative), but I still maintain that if we are going to insult someone on the basis of their character, we need to base our arguments on facts or know them on a personal level.

I like Mary because I can’t find any evidence of what she has done wrong. Mary’s only guilt (so far) seems to be that she fell in love and married a Prince. Some might say she’s lucky, but I sometimes I feel sorry for her. Imagine how difficult it must have been for her to leave her family and settle into a new country, where she’s expected to live within all the constraint of that new environment. That prospect to me for me would be daunting.

The fact that her job requires her to look a certain way, and keep a sense of decorum seems to constantly be thrown in her face. I dislike plenty of people, and sometimes for reasons I can’t explain, that’s human nature and I understand that. However, when a reporter calls her “the Imelda Marcos of Denmark” I don’t think it’s fair. I cheer for her because some people want to see her fail. I don't wish that on her husband and children.

Seeing her with a smile on her face and with her family is fun to watch. This woman’s private life is no longer her own, and everything she does is subject to scrutiny. The fact that she has not trip and fall on her face (not literally speaking, of course) to me is admirable.

By the way, I like all the CP. They are all beautiful and modern women who make their husbands happy, so I’m happy for them. Sorry for the book.
Agreed. I've liked Mary from the beginning. I was one of those impressed when at the beginning of the relationship the press asked her questions and she replied in Danish. I thought that was classy and showed she was making an effort from the beginning. I remember she even took classes in etiquette to try and prepare herself for the kind of life she would be entering.

Since then I have seen a woman who had an education and decent job, move to another country to marry her prince charming who I always believed she loved, not just for the title but really for him.

She has tried so hard to dress appropriately, classy and invent a style of her own which involves very classic looks that never go out of style. She has done her job of providing children.

I haven't seen her really do anything but try in every way to be a great princess that Frederick and Denmark can be proud of. JMO
  #144  
Old 06-29-2007, 11:07 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
A couple of questions:

"What's wrong with superficiality?"

"Why does Mary have to be deep or serious? What benefit does it bring to the Danish monarchy?"

"Why do people feel they have to warm up to a royal to like them?
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #145  
Old 06-30-2007, 02:34 AM
Aurora810's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 1,049
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
A couple of questions:


"Why does Mary have to be deep or serious? What benefit does it bring to the Danish monarchy?"

"Why do people feel they have to warm up to a royal to like them?

Well, I speak only for myself but I don't really think she needs to be deep necessarily but she needs to display poise and the fact that she has a brain to think with. People in Denmark and in other places look up to these royals, so they all need to display a serious/professional side of themselves.

Maybe it's just me but I like to get a feel for who someone is, I guess I classify that "warming up to a royal". It just goes along with liking someone to really be able to get a sense of who they are and find that connection that you might have with a royal. Some often say especially about Mary, "she seems so down to earth". Well, those that say that have obviously developed some sort of connection that I have never noticed. We all see things differently!
  #146  
Old 06-30-2007, 03:47 AM
Melania's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 102
I don't know about you guys, but there is something about Prince Frederik that comes across as a little superficial as well. If you consider Mary superficial, then maybe Frederik and Mary are two peas in a pod. For example, in group pictures at major royal events, or where the crown prince couples of European countries gather, Prince Frederik always seems to stand one or two inches away from Mary in order to emphasis her more in the photograph, thus trying to make the event about them in away-- a point someone made earlier in the thread. I always hate that when I see them do this in the photographs. It's like the other royal couples are just as equal as they are. What makes them so special as to try and steal the attention in the photograph. If I were one of the other royal couples, I would be mad at the inconsiderate gesture.

I tried to find the group pictures to illustrate my point, but I could only find these two pictures (both from Danish Royal Watchers). I wish they would just be a little more natural.

http://img428.imageshack.us/img428/9436/drws17ph.jpg

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/6/th4aw.jpg
  #147  
Old 06-30-2007, 04:45 AM
wiwaxia's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Douz, Tunisia
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
A couple of questions:

"What's wrong with superficiality?"

"Why does Mary have to be deep or serious? What benefit does it bring to the Danish monarchy?"

"Why do people feel they have to warm up to a royal to like them?

1. Superficiality - if this is with reference to royalty, and C P Mary in particular......then it is not an attribute that should be associated with a person in her position, lack of depth and knowledge are not recommendations for a crown princess!

2. One would hope that 'serious' in this context would imply that she regards her position as more than trivial, or superficial. As for 'deep', that has to be part of her genetic makeup, either she is, or isn't.

3. Warming up to royals - accepting them unconditionally is not advisable, they are after all there by public subscription, so presenting the correct face to the population is really to their advantage.
  #148  
Old 06-30-2007, 04:52 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melania View Post
It's like the other royal couples are just as equal as they are. What makes them so special as to try and steal the attention in the photograph. If I were one of the other royal couples, I would be mad at the inconsiderate gesture.

I tried to find the group picturesto illustrate my point, but I could only find these two pictures (both from Danish Royal Watchers).

http://img428.imageshack.us/img428/9436/drws17ph.jpg

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/6/th4aw.jpg
Im not quite sure I'm seeing what you see, Melania. I think my eyes are drawn more to vivid color because the first thing I notice in that first picture is Maxima's red dress rather than anything Mary is wearing or doing.

The second picture is rather small so its hard to tell. I think that Mary in both pictures has a rather more formal demeanour than her colleagues (Fred too in the second picture because I don't see him in the first) and she doesn't appear as open and warm.

That may be what is grabbing your attention? I admit that I don't really pay attention to facial expressions in these kind of group shots unless the person is really making an unusual facial expression. Like I said, I think my eyes are drawn to more to color because in the second photo, my attention is first grabbed by Margrethe's blue coat against a sea of white and cream in the front row that everyone else is wearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora
Well, I speak only for myself but I don't really think she needs to be deep necessarily but she needs to display poise and the fact that she has a brain to think with. People in Denmark and in other places look up to these royals, so they all need to display a serious/professional side of themselves.
Interesting aurora. So do you think Mary displays that or do you think that she doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora
Maybe it's just me but I like to get a feel for who someone is, I guess I classify that "warming up to a royal". It just goes along with liking someone to really be able to get a sense of who they are and find that connection that you might have with a royal. Some often say especially about Mary, "she seems so down to earth". Well, those that say that have obviously developed some sort of connection that I have never noticed. We all see things differently!
I admit I don't see Mary as down to earth so I agree with you there, aurora! Is it possible to get a sense of who a royal is and still not being able to find that connection? For example a down to earth person may get the impression that that Mary is not down to earth, that person may have a very good sense of who Mary is but they can't connect to it.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #149  
Old 06-30-2007, 05:12 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiwaxia View Post
1. Superficiality - if this is with reference to royalty, and C P Mary in particular......then it is not an attribute that should be associated with a person in her position, lack of depth and knowledge are not recommendations for a crown princess!
Why not? Since the royal families have no power any more, their position is rather superficial, don't you think? Who better than a superficial person to fulfill this role? Isn't it possible that a deep and serious person would get bored at the mundane superficial activities that royals perform on a regular basis? Don't you think that a deep, well-educated and serious Princess such as Alexandra was getting a little bored in her role as Princess? I'm not knocking the royal role or Alexandra but they are what they are. I don't see the advantage of depth or great intellect in a royal role because the royal role doesn't take advantage of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiwaxia View Post
2. One would hope that 'serious' in this context would imply that she regards her position as more than trivial, or superficial. As for 'deep', that has to be part of her genetic makeup, either she is, or isn't.!
But what if the role is indeed superficial? Is there not a danger in trying to make a role more than what it is meant to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiwaxia View Post
3. Warming up to royals - accepting them unconditionally is not advisable, they are after all there by public subscription, so presenting the correct face to the population is really to their advantage.
I totally agree with you here. We may differ on what we think is the correct face - I'm not turned off by superficiality as long as I see its appropriate to the role.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #150  
Old 06-30-2007, 05:22 AM
carlota's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 7,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
This is one of the most stubborn misconceptions about Mary's relationship with the Danish fashion industry.

Do you know that the fashion industry rates very high on the list of the Denmark's most profitable exports? It's not haute couture, no doubt about that, but it is a very very profitable export branch. Do you know that at the website for the Danish foreign ministry, they offer advice for potential exporters within certain categories - and that they group Design, Furniture and Fashion together (http://www.um.dk/da/menu/Eksportraadgivning/MarkedsOgSektorinformation/Sektorinformation/Moebler/)? They don't do that to please a crown princess who might be interested in fashion. They do that because the fashion industry has become big business for the country in later years. If Mary therefore has demonstrated a 'suspicous amount of support for the Danish fashion industry', I am sure that the country's exporters are thrilled about it - just like they are thrilled about prince Henrik's activities when he actively supports Danish trade delagations on trips abroad - or Joachim's endeavours to support Danish agriculture. The long-term goal is the same: to actively promote that part of trade and industry which the royal person has been asked to function as a patron for.

(by the way, the next CIFF (About CIFF - Copenhagen International Fashion Fair) takes place on August 9-12 - and yes, Mary as a patron will undoubtedly pay a visit to the fair; she will also attend a circus galla on September 8 for the benefit of the Danish mental health fund - an area which has not formerly had much public awareness but which she has worked very actively for. Fortunately, the mental health fund appearences usually do not attract as many media people as the CIFF events so with good luck she may not be critised for attending that)
i already know fashion seems to be a big thing for the danes. however and whatever the reasons behind mary going to fashion shows and fairs is, i don't think it contributes to her public image. just look at this very same thread: practically all members seem to get the impression of a frivolous, superficial personality because of this fashion business.

and i know this was talked extensibly before but i doubt her photoshoots for vogue or women's weekly had anything to do with promoting danish fashion. she also posed for dansk to promote danish fashion but... the question is: is it necessary for a princess to pose as a model to promote danish fashion? a princess should not, in my opinion, offer her image to pose like kate moss or an starlette for vogue, especially not so shortly after getting married to her prince. i believe there are lots of other things to do rather than posing for a magazine and talking about your life, just months after the wedding. the only respectable thing of vogue was at least that some of the money went to charity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSaga
It's not that she is critized when she attends disease-related events, it's just that noone talks about it. They prefer to critize her when she attends one of the two fashion events a year, coz most of what she does has something to do with the Danish Heart, cancer or Brain Injury foundation. There are not taken pictures of when she fx. opens a hostel, visits the patients, only when she cuts the ribbon. And that's when she's accused of being nothing but a ribbon cutter. And when she makes speaches for WHO, people just say she didn't write it herself. I mean, you say it like she never attends those health/disease events when you say "IF she decided to attend disease-related events", the truth is that that's what she does most of the time, but many of you are just closing your eyes to it, you don't want to realize it, because it's SO much easier to say "I don't like Mary, I can't say why, all I can say is that she is a fashion horse and LOVES the cameras". Now that's depth
(and no, you're not one of those people Carlota, you're posts are very argumentative, even though I don't agree at times)
i will seriously disagree that nobody cares about disease related events. at least to us here in the forum all the events count and everyone always makes an effort to look for new pictures of any royal, whatever the event he or she attends.


Quote:
Are you sure about that.

Here is your answer: July 12-14 The Dexia Farr 40 2007, Skagen. Sailing.

On July 2-8 2007 is the 3rd Series European Circuit. Nanoq will participate in the Farr 40 Open Nordic Championship in the Oslo fjords. Sailing.
well now... that's even worse. how on earth can the fact of frederik attending a sailing event can be an official event? i find it ridiculous. perhaps there's not something wrong with mary, but actually with the personnel who decide what events are official and which aren't. i'd never qualify a sailing activity of frederik as official.

Quote:
1. Superficiality - if this is with reference to royalty, and C P Mary in particular......then it is not an attribute that should be associated with a person in her position, lack of depth and knowledge are not recommendations for a crown princess!
i also think superficiality should not be associated with royals. as you said, being royal is not a terribly complicated job so it is required that they are centred, focused, have a deep knowledge and can at least discuss what's being done. sitting there looking pretty would make the job even more trivial.
__________________
Sign the United Nations Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare: http://www.animalsmatter.org
YOUR DAILY CLICK HELPS ANIMALS SURVIVE!
Feed an animal in need, click for free.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
  #151  
Old 06-30-2007, 06:31 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i already know fashion seems to be a big thing for the danes. however and whatever the reasons behind mary going to fashion shows and fairs is, i don't think it contributes to her public image.
Well if fashion is a big thing in Denmark, perhaps the emphasis on fashion contributes to her public image in Denmark?

I'm not much of a fashion fan either so when the press turns to what designer she wore or how one cut of a dress is more flattering than another then I get bored, tune out and stop reading. I'm just not interested. I love how she looks but I don't care how she does it.

But I don't get annoyed by it; she looks good that's all that matters, so I ignore the more fashion related discussions surrounding Mary (or any of the other crown princesses for that matter)
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #152  
Old 06-30-2007, 08:32 AM
wiwaxia's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Douz, Tunisia
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Why not? Since the royal families have no power any more, their position is rather superficial, don't you think? Who better than a superficial person to fulfill this role? Isn't it possible that a deep and serious person would get bored at the mundane superficial activities that royals perform on a regular basis? Don't you think that a deep, well-educated and serious Princess such as Alexandra was getting a little bored in her role as Princess? I'm not knocking the royal role or Alexandra but they are what they are. I don't see the advantage of depth or great intellect in a royal role because the royal role doesn't take advantage of it.



But what if the role is indeed superficial? Is there not a danger in trying to make a role more than what it is meant to be?



I totally agree with you here. We may differ on what we think is the correct face - I'm not turned off by superficiality as long as I see its appropriate to the role.
(Superficiality) I certainly agree that their role in society is superficial, frivolous, and a charade, and an expensive one at that, but since they are there, and apparently have no intention of stepping down from their pedestals, unless forcibly removed, then they have a duty to be everything but superficial, and it is quite often very obvious, when emphasis is focused on the attention seeking royal, homing in on the cameras instead of the event. Having accepted this role commits them, to a presentation worthy, but it is also obvious that not all have the intellectual capacity of the former Princess Alexandra! - and I agree with your comments on that! I think this comment above also covers the 'serious' aspect.
  #153  
Old 06-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Empress's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 3,123
Well, at the end of the day, she earns a salary for what she does, and if she wanted to buy 20 pairs of shoes or 20 gallons of ice cream, who are we to tell her that she cant do what she wants with the money that she earns?

Secondly we all, and I do mean all, expect the princesses to project a certain image. Part of that image is dressing the part. I am sure that there would be a gigantic uproar if she walked around like normal people, who sometimes go out without makeup and it sweat pants. Personally, I take the time to look my best every chance that I get. It makes me feel better, about myself and about what I am doing. Mary taking the time to look better should not be a judgement on her character. On the contrary, it could (and I think is) her way of paying respect and showing respect to those around her. What would a charity think if she showed up in jeans and trainers? That the charity in question is not important enough for Mary to take the time to look good.

How on earth can a person be judged based on the fact that they make the effort to look as good as they can? I applaud that in this day and age where so many people no longer make the effort anymore. Imagine the last generation? No? They almost always were dressed to the nines and looked like they ought to. My grandmother never went out of the house without makeup and looking her best, even to go to the grocery store. Does that make her a superficial and fashion crazy person? No, it just means that she cares about herself, and perhaps on some small level, the image that she projects. We all do. Are you going to wear a lace nightgown or a suit to work? If making a decision about the proper clothes to wear to an event, or wanting to look your best for yourself and those around you, then please stereotype me, and nearly every other person as well, as superficial, because on some level, everyone cares about how they look. Even grunge rockers make an effort to project that particular image.

As an ecample, sailing could be an official event, if he were supporting his countrys team in a race, or was crewing on that race. Look at Victoria, when she was ....not sure where... earlier this year, she was there at a time when a crew from her country won the race and she took time out of her schedule to go and congratulate them, be there with them and emjoy the win. We must also realize that all Scandanavian countries have a rich history with boats and sailing. After all, they did produce the Vikings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melania View Post
I don't know about you guys, but there is something about Prince Frederik that comes across as a little superficial as well. If you consider Mary superficial, then maybe Frederik and Mary are two peas in a pod. For example, in group pictures at major royal events, or where the crown prince couples of European countries gather, Prince Frederik always seems to stand one or two inches away from Mary in order to emphasis her more in the photograph, thus trying to make the event about them in away-- a point someone made earlier in the thread. I always hate that when I see them do this in the photographs. It's like the other royal couples are just as equal as they are. What makes them so special as to try and steal the attention in the photograph. If I were one of the other royal couples, I would be mad at the inconsiderate gesture.

I tried to find the group pictures to illustrate my point, but I could only find these two pictures (both from Danish Royal Watchers). I wish they would just be a little more natural.

http://img428.imageshack.us/img428/9436/drws17ph.jpg

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/6/th4aw.jpg
Well, I think that Mary is sitting quite the same as Mette Marit, although Mette Marit is leaning forward slightly more. I think that we all need to realize that with the exception of Letizia, all of the other CPs have had alot more time to grow into and become accustomed to their roles. I imagine it must be daunting to be in such a circle.

And as a last note, if we are going to pass judgement on people because of their clothes, perhaps think of it this way. Someone in that family needs to dress the part. Queen Margrethes fashion choices are an unmitigated disaster.

I wanted to post a list of all of Marys patronages, but the royal website is down. Once it comes back up I will post that and then perhaps we can talk about Marys personality based on ALL of her patronages and not just one. My goodness, to judge a persons personality based on one element is just too unfair.
__________________
  #154  
Old 06-30-2007, 09:41 AM
hanzo1's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: somewhere, Antarctica
Posts: 16
I think all princess need to look well put together and good because they are representative of their country.
But allthough I can appreciate Mary's efforts for looking good I think she is going too far ,she is crossing the line, If I can say so, from looking best for her role to looking like a mannequin wearing the latest trends and "It" clothes like celebrities do. I always get the impression that her first task when preparing to an event is choosing her clothes. Even If that's not what really going on ,the fact that I get this impression ,IMO isn't good for a princess.
  #155  
Old 06-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Chimene's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 576
I’m speechless. I still don’t understand why people are so unnerved by this woman, but c’est la vie. Well, I can’t wait for tomorrow when her (personality) oops, I mean her fashion choices will be on display for all of us to dissect, thus giving us more reasons to knock her off her chair.
  #156  
Old 06-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Empress's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 3,123
I don't think that I have ever seen Mary wearing anything "trendy" like celebrities do. I think that she always looks well put together and classic. May I ask you to point me in the direction of a trendy, celebrity like Mary? As far as I can see she is generally in a suit, or at least a dress, pant or skirt combo.

Now the princess that I would call the most trendy would certainly not fall to Mary. It would fall to Maxima. And I do not mean anything wrong with that as I love Maxima.

But may I ask, how can you (anyone) possibly make a judgement on a persons personality based solely on their fashion and clothing choices? Did no one ever mention the saying "Never judge a book by it's cover?" And given that a book is one dimensional, I think that this applied even more to a person, who has so many facets that we might never see. I just can see the logic in deciding who a person is based on what they wear. And if you are going to judge a book on it's cover, at least take the time to look at the entire cover, and see if you might be missing something. Every element of a cover has meaning. Just like a person.

The Crown Prince recieves 2,643,564.68 USD per year, of which only 10% is allocated to Princess Mary. So she receives SUBSTANTIALLY less than some other crown princesses.

The Crown Princess is Patron of those organizations listed below. As you may see, only two items are anything to do with Fashion. So if we are to judge her without knowing her, lets do it with the full picture.

Social and Health:
Children's Aid Foundation
Danish Association for Mental Health
Rare Disorders Denmark
The Alannah & Madeline Foundation - The Alannah & Madeline Foundation in Australia provides support for children who are victims of violent crime or sudden family loss, through its Children Ahead Program, as well as runs an anti-bullying initiative for schools, called the Better Buddies Program, in conjunction with the Federal Government’s National Safe School Framework (NSSF), which is also supported by the State and Territory Governments.

The Christmas Seal Foundation - The Christmas seal are used to raise money to help children.
The Danish Brain Injury Association
The Danish Heart Association
The Danish Kidney Association
The Danish Mental Health Fund
World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe

Sport:
The Danish Golf Union
The Danish Swimming Federation

Culture:
The Children's Choir of the Royal Academy of Music
The Danish Arts and Crafts Association
The Danish Cultural Institute

Fashion:
Copenhagen International Fashion Fair
Designers Nest

More information can be found on the website of the Crown Princess, with links to more information regarding these organizations.

Please also look at http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ges-12579.html for more information on Royal Patronages.

You will also see that Princess Marys organizations are on par with all of the other CPs. Maxima had a career in banking and micro credit before her marriage, and so she chooses to combine that with her work as Princess. More power to her I say. Unfortunately Marys career before her marriage does not really fit in with continuing her PR work after marriage. We all know what happened to Sophie Rhys Jones when she did that.
__________________
  #157  
Old 06-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Saphire's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Havre de Grace, United States
Posts: 124
I can say for myself that I visit the Mary thread to see what she is wearing, so I can understand how some people may base their perceptions based on that. I think we, ourselves, contribute to that perception by discussing what she is wearing (designers, etc.), her make-up, her hair style, shoes, is she recycling or not?...That's the first thing we notice, I do find it a little excessive , if its true, that she bought 20 pairs of shoes in one trip. I am sure that there are needy people in Denmark who could use one new pair of shoes. But anyways, we contribute to that perception of Mary by interesting ourselves (not everyone, of course) in her outer appearance.

As I said in an earlier post, its kind of hard to form a unbiased opinion by what we see without having actually met her.
  #158  
Old 06-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Empress's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 3,123
And I completely agree that we have to make an opinion based on what is available to us. But there is more available to us than pictures of her clothing. I for one am not at all sure that she bought 20 pairs of shoes in one go, after all it is not the most reliable of sources. However, hey, I have bought 8 pairs of shoes in one day before, although I was reworking my wardrobe from student to professional, so who knows. All I am saying is that I think that we should look at the whole and not just the parts. Taken together they can me something entirely different.
__________________
  #159  
Old 06-30-2007, 12:43 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiwaxia View Post
(Superficiality) I certainly agree that their role in society is superficial, frivolous, and a charade, and an expensive one at that, but since they are there, and apparently have no intention of stepping down from their pedestals, unless forcibly removed, then they have a duty to be everything but superficial, and it is quite often very obvious, when emphasis is focused on the attention seeking royal, homing in on the cameras instead of the event. Having accepted this role commits them, to a presentation worthy, but it is also obvious that not all have the intellectual capacity of the former Princess Alexandra! - and I agree with your comments on that! I think this comment above also covers the 'serious' aspect.

Ah, wiwaxia, I see what you mean. If the role is superficial, then you believe that the royals should do everything in their power to minimize how superficial it is.

I agree with you that I prefer events where attention is focused on the event rather than one or two royals which is why my favorite events are the events where there are lots of royals-like for example, the New Years court where the whole Danish Royal Family is in attendance along with the notable citizens of the past year. Its very glamourous, exciting but without being a fashion shoot for one or two members of the family. The common people when they meet the Queen can steal the show from all the royals sometimes. And I also think the event is rather serious and important to recognize citizens of notable achievement.

I admit that I prefer events that are royal and glamourous to those that are visiting a hospital somewhere visiting sick children. I know that's probably very horrible of me and I will burn in hell for it but I prefer to see the royals do what they alone can do. Sponsoring these good deeds charities can be done by any celebrity and they often do it quite effectively but tiaras and medals look incredibly silly on anybody but a royal.

Quote:
How on earth can a person be judged based on the fact that they make the effort to look as good as they can?
Well if I may play a little devil's advocate, Empress, I think its natural to judge people on their appearance but I agree with you that its not always accurate to judge people solely on their appearance. If you looked at the way I dressed now, you would definitely say I am more simple, down to earth (and right now a little messy) rather than someone who cares a lot about her appearance. But even though I don't have it, I admire the ability to pull oneself together and choose to look the best they can when its in a role like Mary's where I believe image is so important.

Quote:
My grandmother never went out of the house without makeup and looking her best, even to go to the grocery store. Does that make her a superficial and fashion crazy person? No, it just means that she cares about herself, and perhaps on some small level, the image that she projects. We all do. Are you going to wear a lace nightgown or a suit to work? If making a decision about the proper clothes to wear to an event, or wanting to look your best for yourself and those around you, then please stereotype me, and nearly every other person as well, as superficial, because on some level, everyone cares about how they look.
Point well taken, Empress. I admit I sometimes judge people that are too well put together all the time as only caring about their appearance and nothing else and that is hardly fair. I don't think everybody has the same need to care about how they look all the time but I do see that it can be useful to someone in Mary's position.

So when you see a person who is well put together, I assume that you have a different opinion, Empress. Maybe because you are always well put together and so it may not mean anything special to you? Perhaps you are able to look beyond the image projected and notice other parts of the personality right away?

What's the first thing you notice when you see a person who is well put together?

Quote:
Maxima had a career in banking and micro credit before her marriage, and so she chooses to combine that with her work as Princess. More power to her I say. Unfortunately Marys career before her marriage does not really fit in with continuing her PR work after marriage. We all know what happened to Sophie Rhys Jones when she did that.
I think Mary's role as a representative and goodwill ambassador of the Royal Family and of Denmark is a natural extension of her former PR work, don't you think, Empress? That may be the reason she is able to pull together a total image so convincingly.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #160  
Old 06-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Empress's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 3,123
Well, I understand your points ysbel. However, I am certainly not a person who is always well put together. At the moment, I have on no makeup, jeans and a t shirt from Hema/ H&M. And I also agree that we have to make opinions based on what is available to us. But why is it so hard to believe that she is making the effort to look good as a sign of respect for those around her? I think were she to show up at one of her patronages with no make up,ripped jeans and a sloppy tshirt, it would cause far more talk than what she now wears.

I also agree that Marys role is an extension of her former role. However she can not do as much in public with her previous career as say Maxima can. Her previous role did not really take her into the realm of helping those in need, whereas Maximas did to an extent.

And when I see someone well put together, it depends on what I know of them as to what I think. If it is say Ivana Trump, well, I don't ave a high opinion of her as I honesty think that there is little that she does to help those that are less fortunate than her. What I try to think of when I see a person well put together is that they are trying their best to let those around them know that what they are doing is important enough to them to make an effort.

I work in Public Relations and Communications. In a way, I am the outward face of a company. It is expected that I look well put together and presentable. I don't think that any company that I would or do work for would hire/ have hired me if I had presented myself in the same way that I walk around my own home.

Who knows what Mary wears at home. We do know that she wears jeans and t shirts and casual clothes when she is out and about on non official duties. So I would imagine that she puts her very best face forward, as we would all likely do, for her job. This is her job, and she dresses for her job I believe.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crown Princess Mary's Ladies-in-Waiting Jasl Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family 426 05-13-2015 07:51 PM
Princess Letizia's Personality Guido King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and Family 77 06-23-2011 11:15 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary's work for women's rights crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece hereditary grand duchess stéphanie's fashion & style jubilee kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament oscars picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania daytime fashion royal fashion september 2016 sheikha mozah's fashion state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises