Princess Mary's Personality

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting. Do you have reported facts to back this up (meaning reports about this from other magazines and so forth?)
!
Just to round this off and in support of MargretheI's post; Se og Hør was indeed withdrawn from the newsstands in these instances; in the case of the footi's 19 year old family tragedy which was suddenly splashed out on the frontpage, the Danish football team - players, coaches and officials- said that they would boycott journalists from S&H and finally the Aller group which owes S&H fired the editor, Peter Salskov claiming that the footie incident as not the only reason but the last straw.
As they like to say at Se & Hør they are 'testing limits'.

According to EB thsi is what the article has to say:

Crown Prince Frederik and his wife Crown Princess Mary, choose all obviously no tell that Danish how things are going.

Frederiks latest heavy interviews were to Gash [?] in 2002, and the paper is there undeniable happened highly to his life. It has been three half a years and Frederik and Mary were married. How are the family, how are you to each other? They ought to give an interviews about it all, where they between them telling the Danes about their existence in 2007.

Jes Dorph Petersen from TV2 is absolutely correct. The Crown Prince couple has appeared at foreign television - stations, to Australia and has granted some "småinterview" to various "fagblade." However distributing, brief comments are they unavailable to the Danish.

"That works as though, they've very likely to each other and their niffty friends, while they turns the back to common Danes." Frederik and Mary know that they cannot always be available and in time "...and utide answer at all between sky and earth."

"However the consistent secrecy is extraordinary and arrogant." No whole cheers by the masses interest and all the gifts in connection with the wedding has that could become to. Sunday is another banquet to the family, catching the little princess shall baptize. They will sit "sticky to the monitor" from early morning. "Some Danes like and respect the Crown Prince couple. It is about time to display that mutal respect."

Just to round this off and in support of MargretheI's post; Se og Hør was indeed withdrawn from the newsstands in these instances; in the case of the footi's 19 year old family tragedy which was suddenly splashed out on the frontpage, the Danish football team - players, coaches and officials- said that they would boycott journalists from S&H and finally the Aller group which owes S&H fired the editor, Peter Salskov claiming that the footie incident as not the only reason but the last straw.
As they like to say at Se & Hør they are 'testing limits'.

:flowers: Yes, I understand, but I was curious to know if any of the Danish media had reported on it, rather than heresay.

:flowers: Yes, I understand, but I was curious to know if any of the Danish media had reported on it, rather than heresay.
It was not only reported but very much discussed in terms of self-censorship. Found this link (sorry it's only in Danish) to 'The Journalist' (Selvcensur på Se & Hør | Journalisten)

At the bottom of this article, B.T. (no blushing rose itself) is quoted for saying that 'most of us know that Se & Hør is devoid of any ethical backbone but this [the footie story] is without comparison within recent Danish media history. Digging out an old story about a family tragedy is so tasteless and devoid of conscience that editor Peter Salskov has set a new standard for the bottom level of Danish media'.

Found this link (sorry it's only in Danish) to 'The Journalist' (Selvcensur på Se & Hør | Journalisten)

Thank you, User Dane:flowers: My Danish is getting better so I do understand more than I did several months ago.

Digging out an old story about a family tragedy is so tasteless and devoid of conscience that editor Peter Salskov has set a new standard for the bottom level of Danish media'.

I completely agree with that.

:)

It was not only reported but very much discussed in terms of self-censorship. Found this link (sorry it's only in Danish) to 'The Journalist' (Selvcensur på Se & Hør | Journalisten)

At the bottom of this article, B.T. (no blushing rose itself) is quoted for saying that 'most of us know that Se & Hør is devoid of any ethical backbone but this [the footie story] is without comparison within recent Danish media history. Digging out an old story about a family tragedy is so tasteless anthad devoid of conscience that editor Peter Salskov has set a new standard for the bottom level of Danish media'.

With all due respect UserDane, the article you refer to is from 2002, and has no bearing on the recent comments about C P Frederik and C P Mary that the reporter Jes Dorph-Petersen has made regarding their lack of communication.

How utterly tasteless.

But, please humour me a bit, even if Se og Hor are tasteless in that story about the footballer, is it possible that the allegations about Mary and Fred being less availalble to the Danish media than the Australian media are true?

It should be easy to see. If they are as available to the Danish media as they are to the Australian, we should be able to see as many exclusive interviews in the Danish press as there are in the Australian press.

How available have Mary and Fred been to the Danish media for interviews, photo shoots, etc. compared to the Australian media?

How available have Mary and Fred been to the Danish media for interviews, photo shoots, etc. compared to the Australian media?

According to Jes, they are never available unlike the Austrailan media. Take it for what you will, he seems ticked off by their lack of availbility and seems more interested in heaven's knows what. I thought it was interesting, in the article above, he notes that they have a good life, wealthy niffty friends, "...while they turns the back to common Danes."

He has an axe to grind, I guess he's going to a mid-age crisis or something:D

With all due respect UserDane, the article you refer to is from 2002, and has no bearing on the recent comments about C P Frederik and C P Mary that the reporter Jes Dorph-Petersen has made regarding their lack of communication.
I know; I didn't post it as a comment to Dorph-Petersen's comments but as a comment and elaboration of MargretheI's post about Se & Hør having had the dubious honour of being withdrawn from the newsstands.

Jes Dorph-Petersen may be right that Danish media is 'owed' a major interview with the crown princely couple - I don't know - I think they appeared a lot in the media around their wedding (and before that - the Ninka interview with Mary) and the birth of prince Christian but apparently parts of the media is not satisfied with that.
The now chief editor of Se og Hør, Henrik Qvortrup, has probably been the most dissatisfied voice with a claim for a major Danish interview.

This said, I won't be at all surprised if we are going to see Jes Dorph-Petersen in the coming week(s) claiming that the wording in Se og Hør was not quite like his own :rolleyes: This tends to happen with people whose comments are quoted there.

I don't know what the Danish press is talking about! I watch a lot of news and discussion programs, daily, and it's a long, long time since I've seen Frederik. Occasionally, there is footage of him or Mary doing something in Denmark, but it's accompanied by voice-overs.

Actually, I do remember when I last saw and heard him. It was when they were visiting Mary's family in Hobart. The prince addressed the press, briefly and in English, in the hope, I presume, that the family might be left alone, then later, they gave a brief press conference. I do seem to recall that some sections of the Danish media grumbled that they were excluded, which in a physical sense,they weren't.

I'd be interested to hear from any Australian who has heard or seen much of Frederik and Mary, particularly an interview, since their last visit to Oz. The gossip magazines here sometimes fill their pages with nonsense stories about Mary...(Mary's loneliness.....deserted while pregnant....hate campaign in palace against her...) but that's not Frederik and Mary's fault. The British royals suffer in much the same way, too.

Consider: what possible reason would they have to be more accessible to the Australian media than Denmark's? It just doesn't happen. All these claims show is that some sections of the Danish press are as silly and as unreliable as some section of Australia's.

I wonder if any of the other crown princes and princesses of Europe are doing a better job at "courting the media"? Haakon and Mette-Marit, perhaps? I hear that Felipe and Letizia are having problems with a press that had been hopeful that Letizia would be more forthcoming since she had been a member of the media herself.
As far as Mary and Fred are concerned, they seem very pleasant whenever they are out and about -- but perhaps the Danes have a point about access.
For all of Prince Charles' grumblings, his family seem to do a lot to keep in the spotlight, whether intentionally or not.

wiwaxia said:
The now chief editor of Se og Hør, Henrik Qvortrup, has probably been the most dissatisfied voice with a claim for a major Danish interview.

It looks like he is angling for an exclusive interview with one of them but what a strange way to go about it!

Actually, I do remember when I last saw and heard him. It was when they were visiting Mary's family in Hobart. The prince addressed the press, briefly and in English, in the hope, I presume, that the family might be left alone, then later, they gave a brief press conference. I do seem to recall that some sections of the Danish media grumbled that they were excluded, which in a physical sense,they weren't.

So that was November 2006? That was a while back. Do you know Polly the circumstances around why the Danish media were grumbling? I assume they were invited to the press conference that Fred and Mary gave?

Oh dear, now I'm beginning to see why HM Queen Elizabeth II never gives interviews. She may be seen as über-snobbish but at least no one can claim she's showing favoritism to one camp or another.

Consider: what possible reason would they have to be more accessible to the Australian media than Denmark's? It just doesn't happen. All these claims show is that some sections of the Danish press are as silly and as unreliable as some section of Australia's.

I think that its a natural assumption that the Danish press will want to have more access to the couple than the Australian press, Danish people do support (financially) their style of living. All those beautiful dresses, the 20 pairs of shoes (and I say this tongue in cheek), the parties, the personal assistants, etc. are paid for by the Danish people. So, in my opinion, the should make themselves more available to the Danish media. It comes with the territory.

I think that its a natural assumption that the Danish press will want to have more access to the couple than the Australian press, Danish people do support (financially) their style of living. All those beautiful dresses, the 20 pairs of shoes (and I say this tongue in cheek), the parties, the personal assistants, etc. are paid for by the Danish people. So, in my opinion, the should make themselves more available to the Danish media. It comes with the territory.
I disagree with you completely. The more access they give the press, the more demamding they will get. Let's take Diana as an example, they could never get enough of her no matter how much info she gave them. However, I also do agree that you should never piss off the press, as we all know how vendictive they can be. Keep watching your back, Mary...:angel:

It looks like he is angling for an exclusive interview with one of them but what a strange way to go about it!

After reading the article in Danish, my feeling was that Jes was talking about all of the media not just one exclusive scoop for one particular magazine.

So, in my opinion, the should make themselves more available to the Danish media. It comes with the territory.

That may be the key point to Jes' argument if you read the article carefully (meaning choice of words, examples, and so forth.) Jes seems to be indicating that it is the Danes who support their lifestyle and privilages. Yet the couple have refused to have a sit down interview with the Danish media (show them that they care and thank or praise the people for their love and support, etc) It's been three years, according to Jes, and nothing. He's irritated (also by Mary's ability to speak Danish thoroughly) and isn't taking their behavior lightly.

Finally, when the couple were in Austraila the Danish media was ticked off at the couple for various reasons. One being that they were rude and huffy puffy, so again, take from it what you will.

The Danish press were not excluded from the interview which F & M gave in Hobart. However, Frederik and Mary said from the outset that they were on a private holiday and would give one, and one only interview, which was fair enough, I think. As few Australians speak Danish, I don't think it remarkable that the interview was in English: they were, after all, in an English speaking country.

The grumbling was based on the fact that they didn't give an exclusive interview to the Danish press, and in Danish, I guess. Whether they were right or wrong I can't say, but the Australian press then abided by the royal's decision and merely contented themselves with photographing the family when they were out and about at zoos and parks and the like.

To me, this is all a beat-up and a nonsense. Even the aggressive press in the UK usually don't intrude on the royal family when they're on private holidays, and the British public pays for their shoes and clothes, too, I imagine.

This debate has surprised me. Hitherto, I've always imagined the Danes as sane and sensible people but it shows that their press is as wacky and as gossip-mongering as everyone else's. I guess that it comes with the territory for all royals.

The Danish press were not excluded from the interview which F & M gave in Hobart.

This was already established from the get-go.

However, Frederik and Mary said from the outset that they were on a private holiday and would give one, and one only interview, which was fair enough, I think.

We know that and so does the Danish media. Jes and other journalists have complained about the way they were treated. That is one of the arguments.
As few Australians speak Danish, I don't think it remarkable that the interview was in English: they were, after all, in an English speaking country.

Yes, but for a Dane isn't that insulting don't you think? They are after all the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of DENMARK not Austraila.

The grumbling was based on the fact that they didn't give an exclusive interview to the Danish press, and in Danish, I guess.

No, that is not true.

The argument: It has been three years since the wedding and that there has been no interview of the couple, exclusively for the Danes, since the big extravaganza in 2004.

I'd be interested to hear from any Australian who has heard or seen much of Frederik and Mary, particularly an interview, since their last visit to Oz.

The last time I saw anything about them, not an interview, was the birth of their daughter. I did watch 'The Royal Family' show on SBS which was very interesting, and a little confusing:wacko:.
I have always maintained that we should always take anything we read in the media about any Royal Family's private lives with an ocean full of salt.

Yes, but for a Dane isn't that insulting don't you think? They are after all the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of DENMARK not Austraila.

When we see Mary or Fred at functions in Denmark, which is very rarely, and they are speaking in Danish, they dub an English speaking person over the top interpreting. Could they not have used this method when Mary and Fred spoke in Australia in English. I don't see what the problem is?

I have always maintained that we should always take anything we read in the media about any Royal Family's private lives with an ocean full of salt.

Wise words from Crisscross1:flowers:

From the outset I have stated that one should take Jes' words for what they will. I'm sure he'll back track, but whatever, nothing he can do about it now because it's already out there. Furthermore, I am sure, no I am positive there are many Danes asking themselves "Why haven't they?"

Of course, there will be those who will say that I am wrong and that every single Dane are happy with the Crown Prince couple, but I'll say this: doubt it.

There will always be a few who are, well nevermind.

I like Mary and Fred and I'm a fan of the DRF. Mary's personality seems fine to me. She works hard, cares about her family, friends, and Denmark. She's on the right track I believe.
:flowers:

When we see Mary or Fred at functions in Denmark, which is very rarely, and they are speaking in Danish, they dub an English speaking person over the top interpreting. Could they not have used this method when Mary and Fred spoke in Australia in English. I don't see what the problem is?

When you have more than an army of Danish media there, don't you believe it is wise to speak Danish when asked a question in Danish?

She hasn't attended a fashion show since she was pregnant with Christian. Yes, she attends one everytime she visits the CIFF, but that's part of the visit, to see the season's collection, obvioustly. She has to do that, as a patron of Danish Fashion.

It's not that she is critized when she attends disease-related events, it's just that noone talks about it. They prefer to critize her when she attends one of the two fashion events a year, coz most of what she does has something to do with the Danish Heart, cancer or Brain Injury foundation. There are not taken pictures of when she fx. opens a hostel, visits the patients, only when she cuts the ribbon. And that's when she's accused of being nothing but a ribbon cutter. And when she makes speaches for WHO, people just say she didn't write it herself. I mean, you say it like she never attends those health/disease events when you say "IF she decided to attend disease-related events", the truth is that that's what she does most of the time, but many of you are just closing your eyes to it, you don't want to realize it, because it's SO much easier to say "I don't like Mary, I can't say why, all I can say is that she is a fashion horse and LOVES the cameras". Now that's depth :rolleyes::whistling::closedeye
(and no, you're not one of those people Carlota, you're posts are very argumentative, even though I don't agree at times)

And no, Frederik's sailing is not figured in their calender.
This post gives me the chance to ask what charties/foundations/causes she supports or patrons,are the Danish Heart and The Brain Injury foundation something she actively supports and are ther others she leands her support to? I hear mainly about her clothes,marriage,children ect.Thanks:flowers:

Well, I can't speak for the Danes, but my impression when Frederik and Mary were on holidays in Hobart was that they were friendly and affable. I don't know how formally or casually they think that their Crown Prince should be when on a private holiday, for which he and his wife paid, we were told.

If they haven't given an interview to the Danish press, exclusively for the Danes, then that's between them and their local press, it has nothing to do with Australia, then or now.

The Australian interview was an endeavour to keep the press off their backs for the duration of their private break. Personally, I think that the press from both countries had quite a cheek in expecting anything from them at all at that time.

Yes, you're right Crisscross1, I did see Frederik and Mary when the princess was born. I don't think that the discussion with the press was specifically geared towards Australia, though. I could be wrong of course, as it's unlikely that Australian television would show either of them speaking Danish at any length.

I can't see why :ermm: I'm 100% certain that the english responses were subtitled in Danish (as is expected), and more Danish speak English and Australian's do Danish.

Again, they were in Australia, on an Australian tour, and often that not media networks axchange (through whatever means) extracts or full articles for the benefit of those (media coporations) who wish to pursue the material. They may be the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Denmark, but why would they then allow the Australian media contingent to be present at the interview if the language "of choice" was to remain Danish? There is no real logic in that.

but why would they then allow the Australian media contingent to be present at the interview if the language "of choice" was to remain Danish? There is no real logic in that.

Seriously?:ermm: Okay.

Think about:
If a Danish reporter, from TV2 or another Danish media outlet, asked you a question in Danish, with more than army of Danish commentators who flew halfway around the world to report about you, wouldn't you are anyone with half a brain respond in Danish?

I would. First, I would respond in Danish then I would say it again in English for the Austrailan media.

Capiche?:D

When you have more than an army of Danish media there, don't you believe it is wise to speak Danish when asked a question in Danish?

As I said previously though, if the event had been in Denmark and the Aussie media had been there in large numbers, I wouldn't have thought it rude if Mary and Fred spoke is Danish and the words were played here with English interpreters. It is a tough topic and one I think that will never resolved to the satisfaction of all those involved. I just love to see and hear Mary and Fred and wouldn't care if they spoke in English, French, Danish, Japanese or outer Mongolian? :flowers:

This post gives me the chance to ask what charties/foundations/causes she supports or patrons,are the Danish Heart and The Brain Injury foundation something she actively supports and are ther others she leands her support to? I hear mainly about her clothes,marriage,children ect.Thanks:flowers:

Empress listed all of Mary's patronages in this post :flowers:

It is a tough topic and one I think that will never resolved to the satisfaction of all those involved.

You hit it on the mark.

I believe I'm more aware and sensitive about speaking and responding in the right language when asked a question (meaning: If my Spanish friends asked me something in Spanish, I would (no question) would respond in Spanish. Same goes for Hebrew. If one of my Israeli friends asked me something in Hebrew I would respond in Hebrew.)

You hit it on the mark.

I believe I'm more aware and sensitive about speaking and responding in the right language when asked a question (meaning: If my Spanish friends asked me something in Spanish, I would (no question) would respond in Spanish. Same goes for Hebrew. If one of my Israeli friends asked me something in Hebrew I would respond in Hebrew.)

Gosh, I wish I could respond in many different languages, that would be wonderful. Unfortunately, I only speak good old English. :flowers:

Empress listed all of Mary's patronages in this post :flowers:
Thanks so much JessRulz:flowers:I guess the information it there if I had looked a little harder:ohmy:.I am impressed though the list was longer then I expected somehow.I really like the one that deals with bullying that' a real problem here in the U.S.
Thanks so much for the link.

Seriously?:ermm: Okay.

Think about:
If a Danish reporter, from TV2 or another Danish media outlet, asked you a question in Danish, with more than army of Danish commentators who flew halfway around the world to report about you, wouldn't you are anyone with half a brain respond in Danish?

I would. First, I would respond in Danish then I would say it again in English for the Austrailan media.

Capiche?:D

Yer, seriously :neutral:

Think about it: Mary and Frederik responded in Danish for the Danish questions and English for the Australian as they said they would...surprise surprise.lol.

The Danes asked whatever questions they wished to ask as did the Australians, information was shared and subtitles provided...Whoop dee doo the earth keeps revolving :clap:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom