Princess Mary's Personality

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i already know fashion seems to be a big thing for the danes. however and whatever the reasons behind mary going to fashion shows and fairs is, i don't think it contributes to her public image.

Well if fashion is a big thing in Denmark, perhaps the emphasis on fashion contributes to her public image in Denmark?

I'm not much of a fashion fan either so when the press turns to what designer she wore or how one cut of a dress is more flattering than another then I get bored, tune out and stop reading. I'm just not interested. I love how she looks but I don't care how she does it.

But I don't get annoyed by it; she looks good that's all that matters, so I ignore the more fashion related discussions surrounding Mary (or any of the other crown princesses for that matter)

Why not? Since the royal families have no power any more, their position is rather superficial, don't you think? Who better than a superficial person to fulfill this role? Isn't it possible that a deep and serious person would get bored at the mundane superficial activities that royals perform on a regular basis? Don't you think that a deep, well-educated and serious Princess such as Alexandra was getting a little bored in her role as Princess? I'm not knocking the royal role or Alexandra but they are what they are. I don't see the advantage of depth or great intellect in a royal role because the royal role doesn't take advantage of it.

But what if the role is indeed superficial? Is there not a danger in trying to make a role more than what it is meant to be?

I totally agree with you here. We may differ on what we think is the correct face - I'm not turned off by superficiality as long as I see its appropriate to the role.

(Superficiality) I certainly agree that their role in society is superficial, frivolous, and a charade, and an expensive one at that, but since they are there, and apparently have no intention of stepping down from their pedestals, unless forcibly removed, then they have a duty to be everything but superficial, and it is quite often very obvious, when emphasis is focused on the attention seeking royal, homing in on the cameras instead of the event. Having accepted this role commits them, to a presentation worthy, but it is also obvious that not all have the intellectual capacity of the former Princess Alexandra! - and I agree with your comments on that! I think this comment above also covers the 'serious' aspect.

Well, at the end of the day, she earns a salary for what she does, and if she wanted to buy 20 pairs of shoes or 20 gallons of ice cream, who are we to tell her that she cant do what she wants with the money that she earns?

Secondly we all, and I do mean all, expect the princesses to project a certain image. Part of that image is dressing the part. I am sure that there would be a gigantic uproar if she walked around like normal people, who sometimes go out without makeup and it sweat pants. Personally, I take the time to look my best every chance that I get. It makes me feel better, about myself and about what I am doing. Mary taking the time to look better should not be a judgement on her character. On the contrary, it could (and I think is) her way of paying respect and showing respect to those around her. What would a charity think if she showed up in jeans and trainers? That the charity in question is not important enough for Mary to take the time to look good.

How on earth can a person be judged based on the fact that they make the effort to look as good as they can? I applaud that in this day and age where so many people no longer make the effort anymore. Imagine the last generation? No? They almost always were dressed to the nines and looked like they ought to. My grandmother never went out of the house without makeup and looking her best, even to go to the grocery store. Does that make her a superficial and fashion crazy person? No, it just means that she cares about herself, and perhaps on some small level, the image that she projects. We all do. Are you going to wear a lace nightgown or a suit to work? If making a decision about the proper clothes to wear to an event, or wanting to look your best for yourself and those around you, then please stereotype me, and nearly every other person as well, as superficial, because on some level, everyone cares about how they look. Even grunge rockers make an effort to project that particular image.

As an ecample, sailing could be an official event, if he were supporting his countrys team in a race, or was crewing on that race. Look at Victoria, when she was ....not sure where... earlier this year, she was there at a time when a crew from her country won the race and she took time out of her schedule to go and congratulate them, be there with them and emjoy the win. We must also realize that all Scandanavian countries have a rich history with boats and sailing. After all, they did produce the Vikings.

I don't know about you guys, but there is something about Prince Frederik that comes across as a little superficial as well. If you consider Mary superficial, then maybe Frederik and Mary are two peas in a pod. For example, in group pictures at major royal events, or where the crown prince couples of European countries gather, Prince Frederik always seems to stand one or two inches away from Mary in order to emphasis her more in the photograph, thus trying to make the event about them in away-- a point someone made earlier in the thread. I always hate that when I see them do this in the photographs. It's like the other royal couples are just as equal as they are. What makes them so special as to try and steal the attention in the photograph. If I were one of the other royal couples, I would be mad at the inconsiderate gesture.

I tried to find the group pictures to illustrate my point, but I could only find these two pictures (both from Danish Royal Watchers). I wish they would just be a little more natural.

http://img428.imageshack.us/img428/9436/drws17ph.jpg

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/6/th4aw.jpg

Well, I think that Mary is sitting quite the same as Mette Marit, although Mette Marit is leaning forward slightly more. I think that we all need to realize that with the exception of Letizia, all of the other CPs have had alot more time to grow into and become accustomed to their roles. I imagine it must be daunting to be in such a circle.

And as a last note, if we are going to pass judgement on people because of their clothes, perhaps think of it this way. Someone in that family needs to dress the part. Queen Margrethes fashion choices are an unmitigated disaster.

I wanted to post a list of all of Marys patronages, but the royal website is down. Once it comes back up I will post that and then perhaps we can talk about Marys personality based on ALL of her patronages and not just one. My goodness, to judge a persons personality based on one element is just too unfair.

I think all princess need to look well put together and good because they are representative of their country.
But allthough I can appreciate Mary's efforts for looking good I think she is going too far ,she is crossing the line, If I can say so, from looking best for her role to looking like a mannequin wearing the latest trends and "It" clothes like celebrities do. I always get the impression that her first task when preparing to an event is choosing her clothes. Even If that's not what really going on ,the fact that I get this impression ,IMO isn't good for a princess.

Last edited:
I’m speechless. I still don’t understand why people are so unnerved by this woman, but c’est la vie. Well, I can’t wait for tomorrow when her (personality) oops, I mean her fashion choices will be on display for all of us to dissect, thus giving us more reasons to knock her off her chair.

Last edited:
I don't think that I have ever seen Mary wearing anything "trendy" like celebrities do. I think that she always looks well put together and classic. May I ask you to point me in the direction of a trendy, celebrity like Mary? As far as I can see she is generally in a suit, or at least a dress, pant or skirt combo.

Now the princess that I would call the most trendy would certainly not fall to Mary. It would fall to Maxima. And I do not mean anything wrong with that as I love Maxima.

But may I ask, how can you (anyone) possibly make a judgement on a persons personality based solely on their fashion and clothing choices? Did no one ever mention the saying "Never judge a book by it's cover?" And given that a book is one dimensional, I think that this applied even more to a person, who has so many facets that we might never see. I just can see the logic in deciding who a person is based on what they wear. And if you are going to judge a book on it's cover, at least take the time to look at the entire cover, and see if you might be missing something. Every element of a cover has meaning. Just like a person.

The Crown Prince recieves 2,643,564.68 USD per year, of which only 10% is allocated to Princess Mary. So she receives SUBSTANTIALLY less than some other crown princesses.

The Crown Princess is Patron of those organizations listed below. As you may see, only two items are anything to do with Fashion. So if we are to judge her without knowing her, lets do it with the full picture.

Social and Health:
Children's Aid Foundation
Danish Association for Mental Health
Rare Disorders Denmark
The Alannah & Madeline Foundation - The Alannah & Madeline Foundation in Australia provides support for children who are victims of violent crime or sudden family loss, through its Children Ahead Program, as well as runs an anti-bullying initiative for schools, called the Better Buddies Program, in conjunction with the Federal Government’s National Safe School Framework (NSSF), which is also supported by the State and Territory Governments.

The Christmas Seal Foundation - The Christmas seal are used to raise money to help children.
The Danish Brain Injury Association
The Danish Heart Association
The Danish Kidney Association
The Danish Mental Health Fund
World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe

Sport:
The Danish Golf Union
The Danish Swimming Federation

Culture:
The Children's Choir of the Royal Academy of Music
The Danish Arts and Crafts Association
The Danish Cultural Institute

Fashion:
Copenhagen International Fashion Fair
Designers Nest

More information can be found on the website of the Crown Princess, with links to more information regarding these organizations.

Please also look at http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f52/may-2007-newsletter-royal-patronages-12579.html for more information on Royal Patronages.

You will also see that Princess Marys organizations are on par with all of the other CPs. Maxima had a career in banking and micro credit before her marriage, and so she chooses to combine that with her work as Princess. More power to her I say. Unfortunately Marys career before her marriage does not really fit in with continuing her PR work after marriage. We all know what happened to Sophie Rhys Jones when she did that.
divider.gif

I can say for myself that I visit the Mary thread to see what she is wearing, so I can understand how some people may base their perceptions based on that. I think we, ourselves, contribute to that perception by discussing what she is wearing (designers, etc.), her make-up, her hair style, shoes, is she recycling or not?...That's the first thing we notice, I do find it a little excessive , if its true, that she bought 20 pairs of shoes in one trip. I am sure that there are needy people in Denmark who could use one new pair of shoes. But anyways, we contribute to that perception of Mary by interesting ourselves (not everyone, of course) in her outer appearance.

As I said in an earlier post, its kind of hard to form a unbiased opinion by what we see without having actually met her.

And I completely agree that we have to make an opinion based on what is available to us. But there is more available to us than pictures of her clothing. I for one am not at all sure that she bought 20 pairs of shoes in one go, after all it is not the most reliable of sources. However, hey, I have bought 8 pairs of shoes in one day before, although I was reworking my wardrobe from student to professional, so who knows. All I am saying is that I think that we should look at the whole and not just the parts. Taken together they can me something entirely different.

(Superficiality) I certainly agree that their role in society is superficial, frivolous, and a charade, and an expensive one at that, but since they are there, and apparently have no intention of stepping down from their pedestals, unless forcibly removed, then they have a duty to be everything but superficial, and it is quite often very obvious, when emphasis is focused on the attention seeking royal, homing in on the cameras instead of the event. Having accepted this role commits them, to a presentation worthy, but it is also obvious that not all have the intellectual capacity of the former Princess Alexandra! - and I agree with your comments on that! I think this comment above also covers the 'serious' aspect.

Ah, wiwaxia, I see what you mean. If the role is superficial, then you believe that the royals should do everything in their power to minimize how superficial it is.

I agree with you that I prefer events where attention is focused on the event rather than one or two royals which is why my favorite events are the events where there are lots of royals-like for example, the New Years court where the whole Danish Royal Family is in attendance along with the notable citizens of the past year. Its very glamourous, exciting but without being a fashion shoot for one or two members of the family. The common people when they meet the Queen can steal the show from all the royals sometimes. And I also think the event is rather serious and important to recognize citizens of notable achievement.

I admit that I prefer events that are royal and glamourous to those that are visiting a hospital somewhere visiting sick children. I know that's probably very horrible of me and I will burn in hell for it but I prefer to see the royals do what they alone can do. Sponsoring these good deeds charities can be done by any celebrity and they often do it quite effectively but tiaras and medals look incredibly silly on anybody but a royal.

How on earth can a person be judged based on the fact that they make the effort to look as good as they can?

Well if I may play a little devil's advocate, Empress, I think its natural to judge people on their appearance but I agree with you that its not always accurate to judge people solely on their appearance. If you looked at the way I dressed now, you would definitely say I am more simple, down to earth (and right now a little messy) rather than someone who cares a lot about her appearance. But even though I don't have it, I admire the ability to pull oneself together and choose to look the best they can when its in a role like Mary's where I believe image is so important.

My grandmother never went out of the house without makeup and looking her best, even to go to the grocery store. Does that make her a superficial and fashion crazy person? No, it just means that she cares about herself, and perhaps on some small level, the image that she projects. We all do. Are you going to wear a lace nightgown or a suit to work? If making a decision about the proper clothes to wear to an event, or wanting to look your best for yourself and those around you, then please stereotype me, and nearly every other person as well, as superficial, because on some level, everyone cares about how they look.

Point well taken, Empress. I admit I sometimes judge people that are too well put together all the time as only caring about their appearance and nothing else and that is hardly fair. I don't think everybody has the same need to care about how they look all the time but I do see that it can be useful to someone in Mary's position.

So when you see a person who is well put together, I assume that you have a different opinion, Empress. Maybe because you are always well put together and so it may not mean anything special to you? Perhaps you are able to look beyond the image projected and notice other parts of the personality right away?

What's the first thing you notice when you see a person who is well put together?

Maxima had a career in banking and micro credit before her marriage, and so she chooses to combine that with her work as Princess. More power to her I say. Unfortunately Marys career before her marriage does not really fit in with continuing her PR work after marriage. We all know what happened to Sophie Rhys Jones when she did that.

I think Mary's role as a representative and goodwill ambassador of the Royal Family and of Denmark is a natural extension of her former PR work, don't you think, Empress? That may be the reason she is able to pull together a total image so convincingly.

Well, I understand your points ysbel. However, I am certainly not a person who is always well put together. At the moment, I have on no makeup, jeans and a t shirt from Hema/ H&M. And I also agree that we have to make opinions based on what is available to us. But why is it so hard to believe that she is making the effort to look good as a sign of respect for those around her? I think were she to show up at one of her patronages with no make up,ripped jeans and a sloppy tshirt, it would cause far more talk than what she now wears.

I also agree that Marys role is an extension of her former role. However she can not do as much in public with her previous career as say Maxima can. Her previous role did not really take her into the realm of helping those in need, whereas Maximas did to an extent.

And when I see someone well put together, it depends on what I know of them as to what I think. If it is say Ivana Trump, well, I don't ave a high opinion of her as I honesty think that there is little that she does to help those that are less fortunate than her. What I try to think of when I see a person well put together is that they are trying their best to let those around them know that what they are doing is important enough to them to make an effort.

I work in Public Relations and Communications. In a way, I am the outward face of a company. It is expected that I look well put together and presentable. I don't think that any company that I would or do work for would hire/ have hired me if I had presented myself in the same way that I walk around my own home.

Who knows what Mary wears at home. We do know that she wears jeans and t shirts and casual clothes when she is out and about on non official duties. So I would imagine that she puts her very best face forward, as we would all likely do, for her job. This is her job, and she dresses for her job I believe.

Empress said:
I don't think that I have ever seen Mary wearing anything "trendy" like celebrities do. I think that she always looks well put together and classic. May I ask you to point me in the direction of a trendy, celebrity like Mary? As far as I can see she is generally in a suit, or at least a dress, pant or skirt combo.
I dont know what you mean about that, surly she has been seen in clothes also worn be celbreties, not that she is the only Princess who does that. AND BTW celbreties can also look well put together and classic, not a royal fenonomen theese days really;)

some examples
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3608/bossdi4.jpg
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/1045/marypurpelpradatw0.jpg
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/2047/marybeigepradasr5.jpg
and then the purpel McQueen which Naomi Campell and Oprah wore as well, and the Black Prada blouse with red flowers which everyone and their dog wore at one moment in different versions.

empress said:
The Crown Princess is Patron of those organizations listed below. As you may see, only one item is Fashion.

You listed it and AFAI can see there are Two, CIFF and Designers Nest.

Last edited:
You are quite right about the fashion thing being two. My apologies. However, Designers nest helps young designers, so maybe that is not actually "fashion" as we see it. By the way Mette Marit is the patron of the Norwegian design Council.

Larzen - Thank you for the examples. However, those are really not things that I consider trendy. I consider all of those classy and tasteful articles of clothing, no matter who wears them. At the end of the day however, we are all a bit of a slave to trends I guess, as we have to buy what is available in the stores.

You are quite right about the fashion thing being two. My apologies. However, Designers nest helps young designers, so maybe that is not actually "fashion" as we see it. By the way Mette Marit is the patron of the Norwegian design Council.
Yes she is but if you check out their page its not really about fashion, but about furniture, kitchen wear, safety equippment etc etc, of course they also do some events related to fashion but it is not their main business

and as an BTW I dont mid royals getting involved in fashion,as long as it is not their core activity, and IMO when they choose to do it one should not be suprised that the press notices it and makes a point out of them not always putting their money where their mouth is

Last edited:
So to some (not referring to anyone in particular) is the discussion about Mary should not be seen in designer wear? Or dress like a celebrity? what happens when a CP & celebrity have the same taste:neutral: well, if she's got the money, why not spend it?!Doesnt everyone of us want to look good...:flowers:
& why is the argument on fashion when Mary supports other things such as what Empress has listed below...

The Crown Princess is Patron of those organizations listed below. As you may see, only two items are anything to do with Fashion. So if we are to judge her without knowing her, lets do it with the full picture.

Social and Health:
Children's Aid Foundation
Danish Association for Mental Health
Rare Disorders Denmark
The Alannah & Madeline Foundation - The Alannah & Madeline Foundation in Australia provides support for children who are victims of violent crime or sudden family loss, through its Children Ahead Program, as well as runs an anti-bullying initiative for schools, called the Better Buddies Program, in conjunction with the Federal Government’s National Safe School Framework (NSSF), which is also supported by the State and Territory Governments.

The Christmas Seal Foundation - The Christmas seal are used to raise money to help children.
The Danish Brain Injury Association
The Danish Heart Association
The Danish Kidney Association
The Danish Mental Health Fund
World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe

Sport:
The Danish Golf Union
The Danish Swimming Federation

Culture:
The Children's Choir of the Royal Academy of Music
The Danish Arts and Crafts Association
The Danish Cultural Institute

Fashion:
Copenhagen International Fashion Fair
Designers Nest

More information can be found on the website of the Crown Princess, with links to more information regarding these organizations.

Please also look at http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f52/may-2007-newsletter-royal-patronages-12579.html for more information on Royal Patronages.

You will also see that Princess Marys organizations are on par with all of the other CPs. Maxima had a career in banking and micro credit before her marriage, and so she chooses to combine that with her work as Princess. More power to her I say. Unfortunately Marys career before her marriage does not really fit in with continuing her PR work after marriage. We all know what happened to Sophie Rhys Jones when she did that.
I agree Empress.
Mary has done beyond her field & is doing well, whether she does what she used to do before now while a CP is total up to her but I just do not see her fitting it in as a CP also, she has chosen a few better things to focus on imo:)
divider.gif

I think the fact many of us think Mary is a proud, cold, unapprochable person is due to the fact she seems to be a prefectionist (might not be) in the way she does stuff ex, carry her self, walk, talk, dress etc...& sometimes in expensive designer wear but that doesnt change who you are in the inside. You cant judge people on appearance.
Sometimes the most simplist person is the most snubbish person & the most unapprochable, frown person is the most nicest you'll ever meet. I dont think because if she smiles or not, or seems to dress in a loud way(colorful outfits) means they are nicer, this would be due to different tastes...

Well, maybe design of those type of articles is what is part of the industry in Norway, and fashion less so. I do not know, as I am not familiar with those countries to that extent. But I imagine that fashion design is important to the Danish industy, as that is what I have heard. None the less, it is in no way the majority of her patronages, so I do not think that she should be judged by that one thing.

At the end of the day, I guess what it boils down to for me is that I do not have dozens of photographers running around after me just waiting to get a picture of something that they can criticize. I don't care what anyone says, criticism, constructive or not is never pleasant, especially when it is about your appearance. Criticism hurts, and I think that most of us would go out of our way to avoid that. I would not be at all surprised if Mary tried to avoid it as well. Heaven knows that there are enough people in/around her life that would love the opportunity.

Unfortunately it is human nature to try and find fault, and never more so than with people who are better off.

Well, I understand your points ysbel. However, I am certainly not a person who is always well put together. At the moment, I have on no makeup, jeans and a t shirt from Hema/ H&M. And I also agree that we have to make opinions based on what is available to us. But why is it so hard to believe that she is making the effort to look good as a sign of respect for those around her? I think were she to show up at one of her patronages with no make up,ripped jeans and a sloppy tshirt, it would cause far more talk than what she now wears.

I also agree that Marys role is an extension of her former role. However she can not do as much in public with her previous career as say Maxima can. Her previous role did not really take her into the realm of helping those in need, whereas Maximas did to an extent.

And when I see someone well put together, it depends on what I know of them as to what I think. If it is say Ivana Trump, well, I don't ave a high opinion of her as I honesty think that there is little that she does to help those that are less fortunate than her. What I try to think of when I see a person well put together is that they are trying their best to let those around them know that what they are doing is important enough to them to make an effort.

I work in Public Relations and Communications. In a way, I am the outward face of a company. It is expected that I look well put together and presentable. I don't think that any company that I would or do work for would hire/ have hired me if I had presented myself in the same way that I walk around my own home.

Who knows what Mary wears at home. We do know that she wears jeans and t shirts and casual clothes when she is out and about on non official duties. So I would imagine that she puts her very best face forward, as we would all likely do, for her job. This is her job, and she dresses for her job I believe.

I hadn't thought that Empress but you're right, Mary is actually dressing for the job. If anyone judged my personality by what I dressed like on my job, they would be so totally offbase as to be ridiculous.

I know some guys at the office that are very corporate and professional in the office but who are anything but professional when they step out of the office.

I agree Mary's previous role in public relations doesn't lend itself to a royal role with a charity helping the less fortunate. But it doesn't bother me that she doesn't.

In fact, the one thing that bothers me about royal watching is the tendency to think less of them if they don't visibly do something to help the unfortunate. I'm not against helping the unfortunate if that is really what someone's passion is but I hate to see more unfortunate people being used as props to make a royal look kind and caring. If the royal doesn't have a feel for that kind of thing, I think its better that they stay away from those types of charities and leave it to the royals who can have that passion authentically.

But that is just my little pet peeve which may be shared by nobody! :lol:

Nope I share that pet peeve with you. I would be more impressed if I learned about things inadvertantly where the royals had been out to help, without expecting some sort of placement in return. I agree, the unfortunate should not be used as props! 100 % agree.

At the same time, perhaps the charities ask for the press so that the get more attention in public than they normally would. I imagine that is part of being a patron, bringing attention to underfunded or ignored causes. Charities are generally non profit, so they need all the funds they can get. And I'll tell you what, when it comes to little ones, children, all the better!

If any of the negative ascribed to Mary was really true, the first place to find dissatisfaction with the crownprincess behavior would be in her own back yeard at home in the country she represents.

It allways starts at home if there is some truths to it.

This same applies to any royal female or male in any country.

Just for the record, I'll admit I haven't read all the posts but I keep seeing the word superficial coming up right after I made a post using the word superficial. However, I'm not sure people have understood me in my post so for the record I wanted to better explain. When I used the word superficial I meant it about myself. I was not in any way calling Mary or Frederik superficial. Basically I was saying that when I think about and look at Mary all I look to see is what she is wearing. Not sure how it happened but Mary seems to be the front runner when it comes to innovative fashion, more so then the other princesses. I know she has patronages, I know she has a real purpose. But my main reason when paying attention to Mary is to see what she is wearing. Now that is a very superficial admittance from me. And to be honest I'm only like that when it comes to Mary. When it comes to other royals I want to know more about their causes, it's very weird, I know!

To answer ysbel's question about whether I think Mary shows a professional side of herself. Yes, I do. I think she is very professional from everything that I have seen of her. It's really weird for me I have nothing against Mary but if I was to make a list of my favorite princesses she wouldn't be on my list. But we all see things different and like different things about different people. It's just how humanity works.

Please understand I'm just being honest and talking only about myself and how I see things I am not meaning to offend or disrespect anyone.

Can anyone comment on the reliability of Se og Hor? And unfortunately I do not speak danish, so I've no idea what that is saying. Also, can anyone say when that article was published?

Jes Dorph-Petersen is a well respected journalist who has covered the Danish royals forever. He also was one of the main correspondants for the Danish Royal wedding and he will be covering tomorrow's christening via TV2. If he is concerned about the state of the DRF, well, perhaps there is something a miss.

Not everyone in Denmark are crazy about their royal family, as some would like to believe, however, there is a healthy balance. Obviously the DRF cannot please everyone so there will always some discontent.

Se og Hor is a tacky gossip magazine, but at times they are frighteningly accurate.:ermm: The article was published this week. It says that people, noteably Jes, is wondering why Frederik and Mary haven't been open to the Danish people and wonders why they haven't given an open interview to them especially after the Danes went out of their way, gave them a big wedding, presented them with thousands of gifts, and so forth. Unlike the Aussie media which he believes they have courted more than the Danish media:

After the large wedding and thousands of gifts sent to the couple There went after considered a large wedding by they, where whole Denmark celebrate they, and they overdængede they by gifts. They giving a interviews to Australian television, however danish has yet no consulted...

He seems to be annoyed by their behavior specifically Mary in which he states, "...that Mary has yet to sound Danish." He goes on to say that "...he a bit unsympathetic towards kronprinseparret [Crown Prince couple]..."

Jes has always been a huge supporter of the DRF so his concerns should be taken seriously, at least I think so because this type of rant from him is way out of the norm.

Ahhhaaa! Well I will tell you this, working in PR and having to deal with the very delicate (read persnickity and entitled feeling) feelings of the press/journalists at times, they do have a very big ego often, and also one in which it does not do to ignore or irritate them as they will bite back hard.

When working in PR it is alot of the time about kissing up to the journalists. I will tell you this, having tried mulitple times to get into Walt Mossberg or David Pogues (NY Times, Wall Street Journal) columns, I have never dealt with such large egos. They do have a very large opinion of themselves, and not only do you have to have the biggest and best new thing on the block, but you also have to kiss up. To put it in perspective, Apple only gave out 4 of the new Iphones for review before the launch this week, and two went to the reporters mentioned above, who in their own way slammed it.

Lesson: Do not piss off the press.

Nope I share that pet peeve with you. I would be more impressed if I learned about things inadvertantly where the royals had been out to help, without expecting some sort of placement in return. I agree, the unfortunate should not be used as props! 100 % agree.

At the same time, perhaps the charities ask for the press so that the get more attention in public than they normally would. I imagine that is part of being a patron, bringing attention to underfunded or ignored causes. Charities are generally non profit, so they need all the funds they can get. And I'll tell you what, when it comes to little ones, children, all the better!

Well that may be the benefit of having a whole royal family. I think that there would be one royal who would more act as a partner to the charity organization and helps out in a lot more ways on a regular basis that the more high profile royal could not because of competing engagements. Some of the minor members of the British royal family do get very involved in their charities. But for an event where the awareness must be heightened and the minor royal isn't enough of a publicity draw, then an event could be planned to which the high profile royal lends their glamour and presence?

Ahhhaaa! Well I will tell you this, working in PR and having to deal with the very delicate (read persnickity and entitled feeling) feelings of the press/journalists at times, they do have a very big ego often, and also one in which it does not do to ignore or irritate them as they will bite back hard.

When working in PR it is alot of the time about kissing up to the journalists. I will tell you this, having tried mulitple times to get into Walt Mossberg or David Pogues (NY Times, Wall Street Journal) columns, I have never dealt with such large egos. They do have a very large opinion of themselves, and not only do you have to have the biggest and best new thing on the block, but you also have to kiss up. To put it in perspective, Apple only gave out 4 of the new Iphones for review before the launch this week, and two went to the reporters mentioned above, who in their own way slammed it.

Lesson: Do not piss off the press.

Interesting, the little bastards! As you can tell, I'm not a fan of the rag press!

I'm no fan of the rag press, but this is not the first time I have heard that the PR around Mary and Fred have courted the Australian media more than the Danish media and that can have the unfortunate effect of rubbing people the wrong way since they are the Crown Prince and Princess of Denmark.

What is the truth behind these stories? Do the Danes think that Fred and Mary have been neglecting the Danish public and press and giving the Australian press special treatment that they would not give the Danes or is it just a matter of big bruised egos?

Can anyone comment on the reliability of Se og Hor? And unfortunately I do not speak danish, so I've no idea what that is saying. Also, can anyone say when that article was published?

That magazine is a tabloid and have had the dubious honour of being packed up and send back because newsstands did not want it on the shelf.

Guess what kind of reliability they have ? :D

Do you have a reliable source to back up your claims?

If this were true, that magazine would have gone out of business ages ago.

Do you have a reliable source to back up your claims?

If this were true, that magazine would have gone out of business ages ago.

When they offered 10.000 for the first picture of Mary many newsstands send the magazine back to the publisher. The same took place when they ran an article during the tournament about a national footie whos parents where murdered. The same took place during the Tsunami when they ran a frontpage with bodies on the beach.

This is just a few I can remember. Im sure I have missed some.

Newsstands sometimes do that here when they think Se & HOR goes to far. ;)

Very interesting. Do you have reported facts to back this up (meaning reports about this from other magazines and so forth?)

:)

BACK ON TOPIC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom