Christening of Princess Isabella: July 1, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great day, event, ladies and little surprise about the name of the little Princess.

Princess Isabella is beautiful little girl and I wish her all the best.

I was surprise too that Mathilde (Catholic) is a godmother. I thought that maybe someone from the Greek (Alexia is) or Berleburg families or maybe from Mary's side... but that's ok.

Btw. there was one Danish Queen Isabella von Habsburg (1501-1526) wife of Christian II.

Isabella von Habsburg

Last edited:
Some very lovely pictures of the parents moved to tears

Prince Frederik's tears

(Polfoto)

Thank you all so much for posting the pictures. A very beautiful family. I'm not to fond of Mary's outfit, she looked so much more elegant during Christians baptisim, but it's not bad. I like that it's pink. This picture posted by her Majesty is absolutely wonderful. HAve you seen little Christian? So young and allready reading the programme :lol:

I love the name Isabella:flowers:it'a a beautiful choice.Mathilde,MM and Victoria all look lovely so does Princess Alexia.I like Mary's dress as well.What a sweet family they are:wub:

Quick observation on the godparents -- not sure how the Lutheran Church views this question, but CP Mathilde is according to Catholic doctrine only a "witness" because this was a non-Catholic baptism.

"Likewise, a Catholic may participate as a witness of a non-Catholic baptism, but not as a godparent." CUF.org :: Catholics United for the Faith

Maybe the same applies to Princess Alexia as a member of the Greek Orthodox church?

Anyway, it's a technical point.
As far as I can tell from the webpage: The only request the Danish Church has of a child's sponsors - (the term Godparent is used by people, but isn't mentioned in the lithurgy, or official rules) is that they have been christened themselves.

Isabella is a pretty name, I cannot help but notice how much the baby looks like Frederick with Mary's lips.

Yeah, not loving Mary's dress, nor Vicki's for that matter.

Joachim's kids are looking less than thrilled, that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the name All the Princess looked great like victorias outfit

I love the name Isabella! And two lovely ladies as godmothers to a lovely baby girl. I saw some pictures on royals.web-log.nl and the princess has big blue/grey eyes just like her big brother. Such happy occasion, I love new beginnings! Sorry I don't know how to post pics or do a proper link. Thank you everyone for the photos.

Lovely choice, and a very surprising one! I think we were all expecting something traditional, so it's a very nice choice. I wonder if they had an ulterior motive to naming her Isabella...which is the Spanish version of Elizabeth, right? So we maybe have a nod to Queen Elizabeth without having to double up on names, since there is already a Princess Elisabeth of Denmark. Not at all surprised about the other names, I think we all pretty much expected some combination of those :)

Christian is so sweet and well-behaved. I love his little suit. I was surprised by the choices of godparents (out of the two royals, I mean) I wonder if Mary's friend Amber Petty will be upset about not being godmother again?

well I just saw the pictures now, and even if I cannot see very well Mary's dress I don't like the colour and I think that doesn't suit her at all it makes her fat!!! I think this dress even if it is new is very similar to others that Mary has wear before! Christian for the first time dress to the ocassion, congratulations Mary although I hate the outfit! To me Isabella is a latin name an Italian name not very suitable for a Danish princess in my opinion!

Polly is correct that Isabel/Isabella is a very traditional old Scottish name - although in the last generation or two it has not been much used. I had an aunt, a great aunt and a great-grandmother all of this name. It was often shortened to Bella or Izzie.

Last edited:
Isabella is a beautiful name for a princess, but I was hoping they would go with a more traditional Danish name. However, Christian and Isabella make a great sibset!

Isabella is a very popular name in America too. I don't think they choose it for historical reasons. I think they choose it b/c they liked it. I do think its a beautiful name. Certainly not what I expected.

I don't care for it too much. As I had an Aunt Isabelle, but the family called her Izzy. She was a very nice and loving woman. But Izzy is just bad to my ears. So when I hear Isabella that's what I think. But I know for most it is a very beautiful, elegant , and can be even exotic.

I am very interested to see if there are any closeups of Mary's new pink sapphire and diamond necklace and her new diamond ring.

Some very lovely pictures of the parents moved to tears

moved Princess Mary

Prince Frederik's tears

(Polfoto)

Lovely Family
Mary and Isabella
(Polfoto)

Though I think it's a lovely sentiment - if you actually watch the video, Mary & Frederik were not crying, they were wiping their noses. It appears as if the entire family has colds, not that they are crying at the ceremony. . .but, they look incredibly happy throughout, so I am sure that they were moved, but the pictures are not of them crying.

got up at 3AM IT WAS SO WORTH IT
I love they suprised us with the name, i like isabella (don't think it was even a guess on the name the baby thread) she was crying and a little upset at the first then quietly went to sleep and missed the whole thing! didn't even wake up when they poured the water on her head
the family radiated with happiness (didn't like the head thingy first time, nuff said) lilleprinc looked so handsome and is the best behaved child i've ever seen! at one point fred pointed and laughed w/mary's dad about something he was doing (it looked at one point a teletubby?? photo was tucked into the program to keep his attention, later he was sitting (what a cool royal youngster chair ) and playing with it. favorite funny moment i noticed- fred wipes chris's nose then his own eyes, hands it to mary who wipes her eyes and blows her nose-- hands snotty rag back to fred who puts it in his pocket, such a normal family gross moment!
couldn't understand a word but watching their faces you could tell it was moving their emotions. the choir was so beautiful it made me tear up also.
my favorite outfits were #1 princess benedickte (beautiful and classic), mathilde (fabulous shoes!) and victoria (ditto on the shoes) i thought Victoria looked beautiful but some camera shots caught her looking imo wistful, lost in thought. Mette Merit is a gorgeous woman why she wears clothes that don't become her (the headband looked like a belt painfully wrapped around her head) the coat had a classic cut and nice texture but just was bulky and made her look boxy, but with that good looking hubby is finefinefine
i was a little surprised caroline (mary's lady in waiting) wasn't a godparent but her husband was. Alexia looked very pretty, loved her dress.
was amber petty there?
it looked like a beautiful, small family service, the church flowers were lovely i thought everything went off perfectly. God Bless their happy family, and welcome to our world little princess isabella.

I am very interested to see if there are any closeups of Mary's new pink sapphire and diamond necklace and her new diamond ring.

Yes, indeed! I was thinking out loud that those pieces must be her "push presents" for Isabella (sorry, I hate that expression, but it seems apt here).

I know why Princess Alexia is Isabella's godmother but what about the other godparents? specially Crown Princess Mathilde?

Last edited:
Talking about outfits I must say that Mary was elegant and simple, but particularly I don't like the colour of her dress - it would have been more bright. Margrethe II was so funny - she remind me a tall walking green tree :) and I really can't make myself approve her costume. Princess Benedikte was very elegant but Mette-Marit seemed like she is pregnant.
God-parents were total surprise for me, because I hoped to see more (3) royals (Madeleine) and somebody from Mary's family (father or sister).

I have to agree with those who found Princess Benedikte to be the best dressed lady there. I did like the color of Mary's dress. Since I have not seen a full-length photo of her I cannot comment on the fit. The baby looked serene during the actually christening, though I understand she was restless at one point. Her big brother was adorable.

I know why Princess Alexia is Isabella's godmother but what about the other godparents? specially Crown Princess Mathilde?
I was surprised too; several people here commented on TV that F&M are on very good terms/are good friends with the Belgian CP couple. Sounds nice and plausible, I just didn't know.

I find it unjust that the crownprincely couple of Belgium as far as I can remember kept all of their children´s baptism low key without inviting royals from other countries but in contrary Mathilde f.i. is now invited to the Danish baptism. It´s the same with Albert of Monaco: He´s always invited to various royal festivities but you never see royals attending Monaco´s f.i. Balle de rose or Red-Cross-Ball. I´m quite sure in case he marries C.W. the wedding will also kept low key....

I saw on the guest list that Mrs. Charlotte Murray was invited. Isn't she the sister of Mary's late mother? Some others here have already pointed out that Isabella used to be fashionable in Scotland for centuries - just think of Robert the Bruce's wife Isabella of Mar - maybe Isabella was the name of Mary's Scottish grandmother, mother to Henrietta Donaldson and Charlotte Murray?

Then we'd have: great-grandmother's name mother's side, grandmother's name mother's side, great-grandmother's name father's side, grandmother's name father's side.

Just a thought. Don't know where to check for the information about Henrietta Donaldson's mother's name. I found it: Elizabeth Gibson Horne, nee Melrose.
Elizabeth = Isabella.... Hm...

Last edited:
Just my impressions from today:
CP Mary's dress looked much better on TV, it doesn't photograph that well so pics unfortunately don't do it justice.
Queen Margrethe's outfit was quite something, a terrible print IMO and not the best of cuts either.
She made up for it with quite a lot of beautiful smiles casted at her son and daughter-in-law, and she appeared to be the most enthusiastic singer during the ceremony!
I agree on both Mette-Marit's awful chain belt-headband and on CP Victoria's rather melancholy look.
The one who disappointed me most fashion-wise was Princess Mathilde; her white lace dress coat really didn't do anything for her at all.
Apart from that and more important: It was fascinating to see how the Danish CP couple really seem to be on the same wavelength emotionally. All through the ceremony they were not only interacting but also reacting the same way at the same time: Professional at first, then a bit nervous, followed by being very moved and back to relief that it was all over & professionalism again.
It was very nice to notice that. Seems that under CP Frederik's still boyish appearance and beneath CP Mary's polished looks lie two quite emotional and similar characters.

Last edited:
i really like the name isabella. i wished felipe and letizia called any of their daughters like that, in it's spanish version (isabel) :) i think it's quite a regal and royal name, at least there were some isabel royals in spanish history. do you think she is called isabella in honour of the day she was born, which happened to be the same as the day her majesty the queen of england was born?

i quite liked mary's dress, is it the one the lithuanian designer made? not so sure about the headpiece. i think it resembles too much the one she wore for christian's christening, which i didn't really like then either. i think victoria looked delightful today, though. the skirt is adorable, and her headpiece is really original.

their choice of godparents was great as well. i loved the fact they chose mathilde and alexia as godmothers.

i just saw pictures of the guests... benedikte looked so elegant (but, to be honest, when doesn't she?) and mathilde... no words. simply amazing. i loved her hairdo and dress.

can someone tell us who the other godparents were and how they are related to frederik and mary? i know peter heering is caroline's husband but who are louise skeel, christian buchwald and nadine johnston?

Last edited:
I like baby girl's names. Isabella is a beautiful name. Did not expected this name for Danish princess, but names choce is very good. I also like oldfashioned name Henrietta.
Mary's dress is nice but I prefered her outfit during christiening of her friends child where she was a godmothre.(the silver one).

Back
Top Bottom