Prince Frederik and Princess Mary's Visit to Washington DC: June 3-7, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paty

Heir Apparent
City
Madrid
Country
Spain
Frederik and Mary will visit Washington DC, on June 2nd to 8th. On 4th june the Danish Embassy celebrates it's 50th Anniversary. On such ocassion the Royal couple will prmote the Danish culture.

Information from the Danish Embassy in Washington
On June 4, 2010 the Embassy of Denmark in Washington, DC celebrates its 50th anniversary. Built in 1960 the embassy was designed by Danish architect Vilhelm Lauritzen and opened by King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid. Denmark established itself as a progressive and design-conscious country when it built Washington, DC’s first modern embassy, and today the Embassy of Denmark in Washington, DC is still showcasing Danish design and Danish architecture to the American public.

Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Nyheder

Google Traductor

Last edited:
Another visit to the US. They have a better "special relationship" than GB and the USA. ;)

Can't wait for the event.:)

That's great. I would love to see photos. D.C. is nice and historical. I'm sure they will enjoy themselves. Hopefully there will be a photo-op with the President and First Lady:).

Last edited by a moderator:
Programme

June 3
  • Crown prince will visit the local John Eaton Elementary School
  • Royal Couple will visit the youth center Sitar Arts Center
  • Royal Couple opening of the Odense City Museums' exhibition "The Wild Swans" at Meridian International Center.
    Udstillingen viser decoupager og kostumer udarbejdet af HM Dronningen i produktionen af Jacob Jørgensens film 'De Vilde Svaner'.​
June 4

• TRH The Crown Prince and Crown Princess visit the military hospital, Walter Reed, where the wounded American soldiers will be retrained.
  • TRH The Crown Prince and Crown Princess will open a symposium at the National Building Museum entitled "The Achitecture of Diplomacy".
  • TRH The Crown Prince and Crown Princess participate in the Constitution Day event at the embassy for Danes in Washington.
June 5
  • TRH The Crown Prince and Crown Princess celebrating Danish Constitution Day with a reception in the Ambassador's residence.
  • TRH The Crown Prince and Crown Princess Visits Arlington Cemetery and lays wreath at tomb of American pilots who lost their lives in Danish airspace under the second Verdenskrig.World War II.
June 6
  • TRH The Crown Prince and Crown Princess participate in the Novo Nordisk event focusing on healthy lifestyles.
  • TRH The Crown Prince and Crown Princess attend at the North American premiere of the film "The Wild Swans"
June 7
  • Crown Princess takes part in the Conference Woman Deliver www.womandeliver.org with development minister.​
  • Crown Prince Frederik participates in cycling event organized by the League of American bicyclist​

Last edited:
Billed Bladet #20, 2010, has a few more details regarding Mary and Frederik's visit to Washington.

They will visit the Walter Reed Military Hospital to learn about the retraining and rehabilitation of wounded soldiers.

They will visit a school where the pupils will perform a fairy tale from H. C. Andersen. Then they will visit an after-school, where the children will dance, inspired by The Wild Swanes, before going to a gala premiere of the movie The Wild Swanes, at National Gallery of Art.

The Danish embassy will celebrate it's 50th anniversary and M&F will be present at that event on the 4th June.

The Danish Constitution Day is on the 5th June and on this day M&F will meet Danes living in Washington.

They will also visit the Arlington National Cemetary, where they will place a wreath in honor of American airmen killed over Denmark during WWII.

They will attend an event about healty lifestyle, hosted by Novo Nordisk.

While Frederik takes part, on bicylcle, at an event organised by Leagues of American Bicyclist, Mary will take part in a conference, Woman Deliver. Which is about the mortality of mothers in the third world. Minister for Development and Foreign Aide, Søren Pind, will also attend.

Mary and Frederik will not visit the White House.

Again in the states and again not being recieved by the president??. Anyone knows why?

I thought I saw reference to Fred and Mary going to the White House - must have misread. Obama might be a little distracted by that huge oil spill making its way to Florida coast!

I think Obama is a bit too grown up to be starstruck by some royals from a tiny European country...But in thinking about that, his predesessor would have been all gushing and fawning and 'oil spill, what oil spill? My god man, these are the Danish royals? Priorities!!! ;)

Again in the states and again not being recieved by the president??. Anyone knows why?

I think Obama is a bit too grown up to be starstruck by some royals from a tiny European country...But in thinking about that, his predesessor would have been all gushing and fawning and 'oil spill, what oil spill? My god man, these are the Danish royals? Priorities!!! ;)

it doesn't surprise me that they won't meet obama. frederik and mary are not heads of state. obama would meet with his equivalent head of state when visiting the US in any case, just as when he was in denmark he was received by the queen (who was accompained by the rest of the royal family) and not by frederik and mary.

it doesn't surprise me that they won't meet obama. frederik and mary are not heads of state. obama would meet with his equivalent head of state when visiting the US in any case, just as when he was in denmark he was received by the queen (who was accompained by the rest of the royal family) and not by frederik and mary.
I totally agree carlota. I don't see any reason why they should be welcomed by the US president. The crown princely couple is not the head of the state.

It was an easy going year so far for Frederik and Mary. Hopefully we will see more of them in the second half of the year starting now with this US trip.

I think Obama is a bit too grown up to be starstruck by some royals from a tiny European country...But in thinking about that, his predesessor would have been all gushing and fawning and 'oil spill, what oil spill?
Actually, Philippe and Mathilde of Belgium were not received by Obama's predesessor when they visited Washington in 2005, nor were Felipe and Letizia of Spain. No gushing, no fawning. ;)

Princess Maxima and the Prince of Oranje were invited to tea at the White House with the First Lady when they made an official visit to the US in 2009. The President just so happened to "drop in" whilst the Ducth royals were present.

Last edited:
Yes, and I just remembered the then Princess, now Countess Alexandra (from Denmark) also had tea with Mrs. Bush when she visited Washington in 2004/05?, but no President "dropping in". :)

EDIT: I just read the following on BB online http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige/ArticleFolder/2010/6/Nu%20er%20kronprinsparret%20i%20Washington.aspx:
Der bliver naturligvis også lejlighed til at gæste det Hvide Hus, hvor kronprinsparret deltager ved et arrangement med fokus på sund livsstil arrangeret af Novo Nordisk.
"Naturally there is also the possibility to visit the White House, where the CP Couple attends an event with focus on healthy lifestyle, arranged by Novo Nordisk."
Don't know if this means they will meet the First Lady/President after all.

Okay, can we get back on topic and not go into why the Obamas & the Crown Prince couple wont be meeting on this visit.

OMG! They are like 15 minutes from me....any updates on where they will be this weekend? I will definitely try to pop over and get some pictures.

I might have to dig my camera up for this one.

put the site signature on google translate and it will give you a decent translation.

Thank you, Carlota :flowers:

TV2 news at 19.00 had a pretty long segment about the school and the visit there.
A class of 5th graders had been selected for the visit and they had been taught about Denmark, including stuff I didn't even know.. :p
We all ride bikes and don't drive cars. Oddly enough Lego was invented in DK, eventhough plastic was invented in USA, is the thought of one child. We are all happy and carefree and don't let anything bother us. (Should there ever be a new biblical Flood, we would huddle together on the tops of hills while agreeing that it's probably just a shower. The pupil might actually have a point there).
They had also been treated or perhaps rather subjected to marinaded heering and the poor child agreed with the journalist that that was pretty gross! :lol:
- No wonder! It's something you serve for adults with schnapps. :)
They had also learned and they sang and performed a well known children's song called: "Så går vi rundt om en enebærbusk - Then we walk around a mulberry bush" while doing all sorts of mundane tasks, like washing. The adult version is: "Så går vi rundt om den ene kasse øl = Then we walk around one case of beer".

Mary gave a speech where she said that when she arrived in DK she really didn't know much about the country, except for H.C. Andersen. - He is incidentally never called Hans Christian Andersen in DK as he is in English. Don't know about other languages though...

Thank you, Carlota :flowers:

TV2 news at 19.00 had a pretty long segment about the school and the visit there.
A class of 5th graders had been selected for the visit and they had been taught about Denmark, including stuff I didn't even know.. :p
We all ride bikes and don't drive cars. Oddly enough Lego was invented in DK, eventhough plastic was invented in USA, is the thought of one child. We are all happy and carefree and don't let anything bother us. (Should there ever be a new biblical Flood, we would huddle together on the tops of hills while agreeing that it's probably just a shower. The pupil might actually have a point there).
They had also been treated or perhaps rather subjected to marinaded heering and the poor child agreed with the journalist that that was pretty gross! :lol:
- No wonder! It's something you serve for adults with schnapps. :)
They had also learned and they sang and performed a well known children's song called: "Så går vi rundt om en enebærbusk - Then we walk around a mulberry bush" while doing all sorts of mundane tasks, like washing. The adult version is: "Så går vi rundt om den ene kasse øl = Then we walk around one case of beer".

Mary gave a speech where she said that when she arrived in DK she really didn't know much about the country, except for H.C. Andersen. - He is incidentally never called Hans Christian Andersen in DK as he is in English. Don't know about other languages though...

here is a video:
Kronprinsparret på amerikansk visit - TV 2 Nyhederne

I can't find one Washington DC local news report on today's event. I wonder if the US media is following this one at all. Americans, I think I can say this with some authority, tend to be self-focused. I used to live in DC and I can't say I remember a lot of great things about the local media. But, how can it be? The nation's capital has to compete with news about the federal government and random daily stuff.

why THIS school ? who invited them and what was the purpose of today's visit?
thanks.

Well Zonk if you do get to see the royal couple I hope you can put your journalist hat on and give all of us a detailed commentary of what you saw. cheers

Thank you for the video. The reporter is hilarious! It looks like they had a nice time and it is good for children to learn about other countries and cultures. I was quite surprised also to hear just how much of an accent Mary has now when she speaks english. As an Australian, it sounds quite pronounced to me. What did others think?

I actually thought she sounded much more Australian than usual this time round. Generally she has quite a pronounced posh aussie accent.

I actually thought she sounded much more Australian than usual this time round. Generally she has quite a pronounced posh aussie accent.

Funny you should say that Princejohnny, because I thought the exact same. Her english accent struck me as sounding particuarly Australian this time around. By that I mean I didn't hear so much of a Danish lilt as I normally do, though I've always thought she sounds distinctly Australian when she talks in her mother tongue anyway.

Her Australian accent is quite elegant (not in the least rural, but then again it never was). She rounds off words very well, making sure she articulates every letter in every word (where appropriate), thus making her sound quite, for better use of a word, 'posh'.

Perhaps she has finally gotten comfortable with her Danish and can easily change between the languages. Im guessing the mouth moves very differently for both languages and it would take lots of practice and experience before someone can effortlessly change between the two. Though to be honest, I quite liked her little Danish lilt. It was cute and suited her.

An invitation needs to be issued, and accepted (as I'm sure would be the case) before a meeting can take place. That purely lies with the White House :)

Of course an invite has to be issued;). Thats exactly what I'm saying. The President and First Lady have so far invited many different people, diplomats, etc. But of course, he hasn't really been in office that long, so I'm sure there's lots more invites going out.

Perhaps she has finally gotten comfortable with her Danish and can easily change between the languages. Im guessing the mouth moves very differently for both languages and it would take lots of practice and experience before someone can effortlessly change between the two. Though to be honest, I quite liked her little Danish lilt. It was cute and suited her.

In saying that, the lilt is still noticeable imo. And you make an interesting point.

It may also have something to do with, dare I say it, the possibility of 'nerves'. When Mary speaks to an adult audience in english or Danish, I notice she's ever so cautious on how to articulate herself. She pays so much attention to what she's saying and how she says it.

With children, that pressure is naturally not as prominent so HRH can speak with greater ease knowing she's not really being judged by an intellectual audience.

She's adopted Frederik's raising of the eyebrows when animating a sentence or word. It's rather cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom