Prince Frederik and Princess Mary's Visit to Washington DC: June 3-7, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #23, 2010.
Written by Anna Johannesen.
The articles mostly consist of quotes.

John Eaton Elementary School.
Here they were received with a banner reading: Velkommen Deres (*) Kongelige Højheder = Welcome You Royal Highnesses. It impressed M&F when the children showed examples of their general knowledge of Denmark, and their performances in various plays, dancing and singing, culminating with the children sing in Danish: “Så går vi rundt om en enebær busk”. All the verses, and there are many!
It was a proud and moved Frederik who looked at Mary when she gave her speech.

Sidar Center.
The Sitar Arts Center is a place for children aged five to twelve from families with less means. Here they can express themselves in various ways.
On the latest projects have been expressing themselves in regards to “The Wild Swans”, where they have created a dance show.

Will Isabella dance ballet?
She will be going to ballet.
Mary: “Oh, I so much look forward to seeing her in a tulle skirt”.
Q: Are your children creative as well?
M: “Yes, I think so. They are reasonably creative. They run and play and dance and do sports”.

Mary added: “Art is a lovely way to stimulate creativity, to emphasize discipline and build trust. It’s invaluable life-skills, which I’m certain will provide a solid foundation for the future”.

Exhibition of the Wild Swans.
Frederik: “When I was a child my mother often read out aloud fairytales by H. C. Andersen to my brother and me. That is some of my loveliest childhood memories I have, because mother’s way to tell stories led us into a magic world so we didn’t even have to imagine it”.
Mary was presented flowers by two year old Alina, who when she spotted Mary’s clutch/bag forgot everything else. No curtsying, she just had to feel that bag.

Walter Reed.
The sight of the many seriously wounded soldiers made a strong impression on M&F and when they left the retraining ward Frederik said: “It’s fantastic to meet young people who do not give up, despite severe handicaps. All of those we spoke with wanted to go back to Afghanistan, when they are done here, as far as it was possible. They are proud of being soldiers and they have the will and faith/conviction that they will succeed completely one day. That’s just the right way to get back in life, I think, so yes we go from here in an uplifted mood”.

Mary said the soldiers had been very open and frank about what happened.
F: “When you are a soldier, you know it can go terribly wrong. It’s no game in any way but it helps to talk about the accident/misfortune. It’s a way to deal with the grief”. Who was very impressed with the treatment the American soldiers received.
M: “They can choose just the right treatment in regards to their needs and wishes. There is no limits, everything is possible”.
Q: Will you be going to visit Afghanistan again?
F: “Time will tell”.

Arlington.
It was a blistering hot day, when M&F visited Arlington Cemetery and laid down a wreath at the memorial for American airmen killed over Denmark during WWII.
They started out by visiting the grave of John F. Kennedy and the graves of Robert and Ted Kennedy nearby.
The Tomb of the Unknown soldiers is located at the top of a hill and guarded by an honor guard from the army.

Novo Nordisk.
Here M&F met with a number of people who are suffering from diabetes or is in other ways connected to that disease. Including the 50 years old, Dominique Williams, a basketball player who is now a diabetes-ambassador for Novo Nordisk.
He and Frederik were supposed to drop a ball through a loop. No big deal for Dominique Williams, who just lopped the ball in. Frederik on the other hand at to try six time.
Then it was Mary’s turn. First attempt and she scored. Eat that Frederik!
Mary said: “I played a lot of basket ball when I went to school but since then I actually haven’t touched a ball, so I guess I was a bit lucky.
A number of ten to twelve year girls, from the Woodbridge Virginia Club displayed their skills with rope skipping. Afterwards several of the girls got a hug from Mary in return, including Lizzie.

On bicycle.
In an attempt to teach the Americans the advantages about cycling, Frederik went for a ride with Leagues of American Bicyclists. It started at the Congress and ended eight kilometers later at the White House.

During a break Frederik was asked about Christian being a page boy at the Victoria wedding and he relied: “He’ll handledthat alright and it will exciting for him as well. Of course we have talked with him about it at home. You are of course obliged to do that as parents”.
The Dutch CP-couple’s Catharina-Amalie has also been confirmed for the role as flower girl.

Frederik said afterwards: “The earlier you start cycling the better, so it’s about teaching the children while they are young. This is where we must set in”.
He added that Christian has his own (genuine) cycle now and that he only used support wheels for a week. He himself used support wheels until he was seven or eight.

Press conference at the end of the visit.
Frederik: “It didn’t amount to much but I did manage to run with the ambassador nearly every morning. He is incidentally very fit”.

M&F lived at the Danish embassy during their visit.
F: “And that was really great. The embassy is an oasis in the middle of the city and even though there are many green areas in Washington, I think the embassy has a very good location

It was the first time Mary was in Washington.
Mary: The Arlington cemetery made a deep impression. It was a very beautiful place and there was something peaceful about it”.

M&F both admitted they had missed their children:
M: “But they have been well. We have been on the phone every day”.
F: “Yes, very much so”.

To why they took turns in giving speeches:
F: “Since we became married we’ve had a natural dividing of the tasks on our travels and that’s how it will continue to be”.
M: Where it is appropriate that I say something, I do it. We figure that out before we travel, because we have to prepare us for the speeches that are to be delivered together”.

They have been in USA often, what is so attractive/alluring about it?
F: “The strong bonds. We are a small country compared to USA but we are putting our mark over there. We do that by the Danes mobilizing their forces and by Mary and I helping to promote Danish values. We do that with a great pleasure and we also get something out of it”.

What has made the greatest impression on this trip?
F: “the programme has been very varied and very exciting and wide with culture and current events. Seen together it has been a smashing good schedule”. Emphasizing the visit to Arlington. “The American cherish the cemetery. They are very attentive towards their fallen soldiers”.

(*) Notice formal you, plural = Deres.

It was a very beautiful place and there was something peaceful about it”.

Perhaps the sign asking people to be mindfully respectful and quiet could explain that...;)

It appears to me that the crown prince couple travelled quite a few times to the USA. Is there any specific reason for this? When reading some posts where people were saying that Frederik and Mary are hardly known in the USA I was just wondering on the purpose of these trips.

It appears to me that the crown prince couple travelled quite a few times to the USA. Is there any specific reason for this? When reading some posts where people were saying that Frederik and Mary are hardly known in the USA I was just wondering on the purpose of these trips.

It seems they have a yearly visit to the U.S.

The purpose of this trip was that the Danish Embassy celebrated it's 50th Anniversary. Royal couple will prmote the Danish culture and promote the exhibition "The Wild Swans" (Joachim & Marie prompoted it in behalf of the Queen in Mexico early in the year).

It seems they have a yearly visit to the U.S.

The purpose of this trip was that the Danish Embassy celebrated it's 50th Anniversary. Royal couple will prmote the Danish culture and promote the exhibition "The Wild Swans" (Joachim & Marie prompoted it in behalf of the Queen in Mexico early in the year).

Thank you dazzling. I had no idea about this.

^ Mary's sunglasses are Chanel.

There are also a lot of Danish decendants in the US. Also, when there are Danish exhibits etc here, royality gives these things the chance to be known to a greater audience.

As far as the hat and gloves, it is normal protocal. Mary was showing respect of the highest order. So she did an ode to Jackie Kennedy-intentional or not. More people should follow her lead.

To some CP Mary may be ordinary...but looks aren't everything! Afterall...this ordinary girl from Australia married the Crown Prince of Denmark and will be a future Queen. Obviously CP Frederik saw more than "looks" that led him to have a long-distanced relationship with Mary for over a year and eventually marry her. CP Mary's performance in her role as Crown Princess of Denmark for the past 6 years proves that there is a lot more to her than looks...and that's what counts!

I don't think Mary looks ordinary. I think she is beautiful. I am just thinking out loud, but I think we are bombarded with celebs and plastic people (literally) that if someone does not have supermodel looks etc, they are not pretty or beautiful. I think we (society in general) is a society of extremes. You are either nothing or amazing. There are many levels inbetween.:flowers:

I think Mary is beautiful. Definately pretty. IMO, definately better than average. If she is ordinary or average, then Australia or Denmark has an amazing gene pool!:eek::lol:

It is personal taste. I am not trying to bring down anyone's opinon, but I definately disagree!:whistling::D

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary can afford the best in clothing, cosmetics and treatments. That would help anybody - including me! I do think she is making the most of what she has, an example we could all follow maybe. After all, we can't change what we have been given. (at least not entirely)!!

I think Mary is beautiful. Definately pretty. IMO, definately better than average. If she is ordinary or average, then Australia or Denmark has an amazing gene pool!:eek::lol:

You are welcome here anytime, Fashionista...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom