The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Commoner

"Why our Mary no long rules fashion world"

Why our Mary no longer rules fashion world | The Daily Telegraph

Brief article about the Washington trip and Mary's wardrobe.

Mary usually gets it right. But, IMO, she missed the mark with her Arlington wardrobe.I have to admit the Jackie O meets WWII war bride ensemble at Arlington was over the top for me. I felt like she tried too hard and visiting Arlington Cemetery, which is sacred ground to Americans, should not be about making a fashion statement, no matter how much you admire the fashion legacy of the person who likely inspired parts of the outfit and whose grave you had just looked upon. It looked rather costume-ish to me. I think she should have left off the pillbox hat, the leather gloves (it's sweltering in DC right now!) and worn different shoes. Those sky high heels!! Gorgeous, not so sure they were appropriate for that part of the trip.

But, it was very thoughtful of them to lay that wreath in remembrance. And, it seems they enjoyed themselves on their engagements and did good works on the behalf of Denmark, which was the whole point of this trip anyway. So I will let the Arlington Cemetery get up slide this once

Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Courtier

^I don't understand what's costumish about a dress and hat and glove and high heels. I think she's dressed up, but that's just me.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent

They refer to it for it's 'period presence'. More vintage in style than a la mode.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Administrator

I actually live in the DC area and it has not been extremely hot the last couple of days. Which is very unusual for June.

She certainly didn't need the hat, and the dress was okay. I would agree not the normal Mary standards but does it really matter?

Its also important to note that this is Arlington National Cemetry, which is a special place to many Americans, the focus IMO should be on the fact that the Crown Prince couple made a stop here as well as the sacrifices and work done by the people buried here. As long as she didn't come in a potato sack...it doesn't matter to me what she wore. She didn't disgrace herself or her country.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I actually live in the DC area and it has not been extremely hot the last couple of days. Which is very unusual for June.

She certainly didn't need the hat, and the dress was okay. I would agree not the normal Mary standards but does it really matter?

Its also important to note that this is Arlington National Cemetry, which is a special place to many Americans, the focus IMO should be on the fact that the Crown Prince couple made a stop here as well as the sacrifices and work done by the people buried here. As long as she didn't come in a potato sack...it doesn't matter to me what she wore. She didn't disgrace herself or her country.
I agree with you, Zonk. I used to live in Washington D.C., so I understand firsthand the importance of Arlington National Cemetery. This is a very important place for Americans. I was happy to see my favorite (living) princess visit my capital. I don't care what she wore but how she carried herself with dignity, which I think she did. Way to go, Mary!
Old 06-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by envoy2400 View Post
I met her at the NovoNordisk health fair event on Sunday morning here -- I couldn't really resist it. It seems to me she has to keep a small smile on her face at all times cause of the cameras. She and Fred were dropped off on the far side of the health fair from where the arrival photo op was supposed to happen and when all the photogs realized they went running after them - even as Fred and Mary walked to the correct side of the health fair for the arrival photo op after all. They did not speak, only the ambassador spoke. She shook my hand and posed for a photo with her arm around me, very nice of her. She especially seemed to smile at all the children present. She doesn't seem to have an Australian accent anymore or if she does it's not very broad.
I watched the basketball shootaround and all I can say is she was very confident when she threw the basket that went in. The next shot was an airball but she didn't seem to care.
I spoke with Caroline Heering for a minute also and she speaks perfect English with an accent.
Congatulations!!!!! I am happy for you must be a great experience to see them so close!
Old 06-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancchick View Post
I agree with you, Zonk. I used to live in Washington D.C., so I understand firsthand the importance of Arlington National Cemetery. This is a very important place for Americans. I was happy to see my favorite (living) princess visit my capital. I don't care what she wore but how she carried herself with dignity, which I think she did. Way to go, Mary!

When they were laying the wreath at Arlington there was a very large "M" on the ribbon along with smaller writing above the "M". I am sure this is why the gloves and hat. She was following Royal Protocol since they were doing this on behalf on the Queen. I agree WTG Mary!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

but at the end of the day she is a crown princess and therefore they are used to wearing hats to some certain events. Maybe she thought that this even required a hat if it was back home and she addapted that rule on this trip.
Maybe when American first ladies and high ranking people visit the cemetry they dont wear hats therefore the writer of teh article is thinking she was over the top.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wish more American women would wear hats. I have an extended deceased family member who once worked for Queen Elizabeth and she loved hats and I love hats because of her. I really don't see the problem with Mary's hat. I think it was appropriate for cemetary visit.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:32 AM
Aristocracy

Fred and Mary were just perfect in every way ( except for the shoes, why Fred didn't help her - not a big deal because nobody really knows what actually happened).
Beauty is only in the eye of the beholder, but I think that those who see Mary as "aging" and just "plain looking" must hold the highest beauty standards, really... Caroline is for sure a beauty, but again it is a french taste of mine to rather be caught by warmer faces, good figures and postures. This is why I think that Tanja is also a very beautiful lady. At the end of the day, it shows how confident Mary is about herself to let her get sourrended by two lovely beauties I love Mary's involvments with children and women. She really irradiates. Somehow I think she is a girls' girl if I can say that.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

A few additional pictures of Crown Princess Mary at the organisation Women Deliver on an official visit at the Convention Center in Washington.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7908/bewf69721.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/3834/bewf69720.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/4305/bewf6971f.jpg
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1372/bewf6971d.jpg

Frederick and Mary in Washington
HelloMagazine
Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #23, 2010.
Written by Anna Johannesen.
The articles mostly consist of quotes.

John Eaton Elementary School.
Here they were received with a banner reading: Velkommen Deres (*) Kongelige Højheder = Welcome You Royal Highnesses. It impressed M&F when the children showed examples of their general knowledge of Denmark, and their performances in various plays, dancing and singing, culminating with the children sing in Danish: “Så går vi rundt om en enebær busk”. All the verses, and there are many!
It was a proud and moved Frederik who looked at Mary when she gave her speech.

Sidar Center.
The Sitar Arts Center is a place for children aged five to twelve from families with less means. Here they can express themselves in various ways.
On the latest projects have been expressing themselves in regards to “The Wild Swans”, where they have created a dance show.

Will Isabella dance ballet?
She will be going to ballet.
Mary: “Oh, I so much look forward to seeing her in a tulle skirt”.
Q: Are your children creative as well?
M: “Yes, I think so. They are reasonably creative. They run and play and dance and do sports”.

Mary added: “Art is a lovely way to stimulate creativity, to emphasize discipline and build trust. It’s invaluable life-skills, which I’m certain will provide a solid foundation for the future”.

Exhibition of the Wild Swans.
Frederik: “When I was a child my mother often read out aloud fairytales by H. C. Andersen to my brother and me. That is some of my loveliest childhood memories I have, because mother’s way to tell stories led us into a magic world so we didn’t even have to imagine it”.
Mary was presented flowers by two year old Alina, who when she spotted Mary’s clutch/bag forgot everything else. No curtsying, she just had to feel that bag.

Walter Reed.
The sight of the many seriously wounded soldiers made a strong impression on M&F and when they left the retraining ward Frederik said: “It’s fantastic to meet young people who do not give up, despite severe handicaps. All of those we spoke with wanted to go back to Afghanistan, when they are done here, as far as it was possible. They are proud of being soldiers and they have the will and faith/conviction that they will succeed completely one day. That’s just the right way to get back in life, I think, so yes we go from here in an uplifted mood”.

Mary said the soldiers had been very open and frank about what happened.
F: “When you are a soldier, you know it can go terribly wrong. It’s no game in any way but it helps to talk about the accident/misfortune. It’s a way to deal with the grief”. Who was very impressed with the treatment the American soldiers received.
M: “They can choose just the right treatment in regards to their needs and wishes. There is no limits, everything is possible”.
Q: Will you be going to visit Afghanistan again?
F: “Time will tell”.

Arlington.
It was a blistering hot day, when M&F visited Arlington Cemetery and laid down a wreath at the memorial for American airmen killed over Denmark during WWII.
They started out by visiting the grave of John F. Kennedy and the graves of Robert and Ted Kennedy nearby.
The Tomb of the Unknown soldiers is located at the top of a hill and guarded by an honor guard from the army.

Novo Nordisk.
Here M&F met with a number of people who are suffering from diabetes or is in other ways connected to that disease. Including the 50 years old, Dominique Williams, a basketball player who is now a diabetes-ambassador for Novo Nordisk.
He and Frederik were supposed to drop a ball through a loop. No big deal for Dominique Williams, who just lopped the ball in. Frederik on the other hand at to try six time.
Then it was Mary’s turn. First attempt and she scored. Eat that Frederik!
Mary said: “I played a lot of basket ball when I went to school but since then I actually haven’t touched a ball, so I guess I was a bit lucky.
A number of ten to twelve year girls, from the Woodbridge Virginia Club displayed their skills with rope skipping. Afterwards several of the girls got a hug from Mary in return, including Lizzie.

On bicycle.
In an attempt to teach the Americans the advantages about cycling, Frederik went for a ride with Leagues of American Bicyclists. It started at the Congress and ended eight kilometers later at the White House.

During a break Frederik was asked about Christian being a page boy at the Victoria wedding and he relied: “He’ll handledthat alright and it will exciting for him as well. Of course we have talked with him about it at home. You are of course obliged to do that as parents”.
The Dutch CP-couple’s Catharina-Amalie has also been confirmed for the role as flower girl.

Frederik said afterwards: “The earlier you start cycling the better, so it’s about teaching the children while they are young. This is where we must set in”.
He added that Christian has his own (genuine) cycle now and that he only used support wheels for a week. He himself used support wheels until he was seven or eight.

Press conference at the end of the visit.
Frederik: “It didn’t amount to much but I did manage to run with the ambassador nearly every morning. He is incidentally very fit”.

M&F lived at the Danish embassy during their visit.
F: “And that was really great. The embassy is an oasis in the middle of the city and even though there are many green areas in Washington, I think the embassy has a very good location

It was the first time Mary was in Washington.
Mary: The Arlington cemetery made a deep impression. It was a very beautiful place and there was something peaceful about it”.

M&F both admitted they had missed their children:
M: “But they have been well. We have been on the phone every day”.
F: “Yes, very much so”.

To why they took turns in giving speeches:
F: “Since we became married we’ve had a natural dividing of the tasks on our travels and that’s how it will continue to be”.
M: Where it is appropriate that I say something, I do it. We figure that out before we travel, because we have to prepare us for the speeches that are to be delivered together”.

They have been in USA often, what is so attractive/alluring about it?
F: “The strong bonds. We are a small country compared to USA but we are putting our mark over there. We do that by the Danes mobilizing their forces and by Mary and I helping to promote Danish values. We do that with a great pleasure and we also get something out of it”.

What has made the greatest impression on this trip?
F: “the programme has been very varied and very exciting and wide with culture and current events. Seen together it has been a smashing good schedule”. Emphasizing the visit to Arlington. “The American cherish the cemetery. They are very attentive towards their fallen soldiers”.

(*) Notice formal you, plural = Deres.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It was a very beautiful place and there was something peaceful about it”.
Perhaps the sign asking people to be mindfully respectful and quiet could explain that...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Courtier

It appears to me that the crown prince couple travelled quite a few times to the USA. Is there any specific reason for this? When reading some posts where people were saying that Frederik and Mary are hardly known in the USA I was just wondering on the purpose of these trips.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
It appears to me that the crown prince couple travelled quite a few times to the USA. Is there any specific reason for this? When reading some posts where people were saying that Frederik and Mary are hardly known in the USA I was just wondering on the purpose of these trips.
It seems they have a yearly visit to the U.S.

The purpose of this trip was that the Danish Embassy celebrated it's 50th Anniversary. Royal couple will prmote the Danish culture and promote the exhibition "The Wild Swans" (Joachim & Marie prompoted it in behalf of the Queen in Mexico early in the year).
Old 06-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Aristocracy

It seems to me they generally had a good trip/visit.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
It seems they have a yearly visit to the U.S.

The purpose of this trip was that the Danish Embassy celebrated it's 50th Anniversary. Royal couple will prmote the Danish culture and promote the exhibition "The Wild Swans" (Joachim & Marie prompoted it in behalf of the Queen in Mexico early in the year).
Thank you dazzling. I had no idea about this.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofajr View Post
PPE gallery:

PPE Agency
Anybody know the brand of CP Mary's sunglasses worn during the visit to Arlington National Cemetery?

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto
Old 06-12-2010, 03:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

^ Mary's sunglasses are Chanel.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Courtier

There are also a lot of Danish decendants in the US. Also, when there are Danish exhibits etc here, royality gives these things the chance to be known to a greater audience.

As far as the hat and gloves, it is normal protocal. Mary was showing respect of the highest order. So she did an ode to Jackie Kennedy-intentional or not. More people should follow her lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
To some CP Mary may be ordinary...but looks aren't everything! Afterall...this ordinary girl from Australia married the Crown Prince of Denmark and will be a future Queen. Obviously CP Frederik saw more than "looks" that led him to have a long-distanced relationship with Mary for over a year and eventually marry her. CP Mary's performance in her role as Crown Princess of Denmark for the past 6 years proves that there is a lot more to her than looks...and that's what counts!

I don't think Mary looks ordinary. I think she is beautiful. I am just thinking out loud, but I think we are bombarded with celebs and plastic people (literally) that if someone does not have supermodel looks etc, they are not pretty or beautiful. I think we (society in general) is a society of extremes. You are either nothing or amazing. There are many levels inbetween.

I think Mary is beautiful. Definately pretty. IMO, definately better than average. If she is ordinary or average, then Australia or Denmark has an amazing gene pool!

It is personal taste. I am not trying to bring down anyone's opinon, but I definately disagree!