The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thank you, Carlota

TV2 news at 19.00 had a pretty long segment about the school and the visit there.
A class of 5th graders had been selected for the visit and they had been taught about Denmark, including stuff I didn't even know..
We all ride bikes and don't drive cars. Oddly enough Lego was invented in DK, eventhough plastic was invented in USA, is the thought of one child. We are all happy and carefree and don't let anything bother us. (Should there ever be a new biblical Flood, we would huddle together on the tops of hills while agreeing that it's probably just a shower. The pupil might actually have a point there).
They had also been treated or perhaps rather subjected to marinaded heering and the poor child agreed with the journalist that that was pretty gross!
- No wonder! It's something you serve for adults with schnapps.
They had also learned and they sang and performed a well known children's song called: "Så går vi rundt om en enebærbusk - Then we walk around a mulberry bush" while doing all sorts of mundane tasks, like washing. The adult version is: "Så går vi rundt om den ene kasse øl = Then we walk around one case of beer".

Mary gave a speech where she said that when she arrived in DK she really didn't know much about the country, except for H.C. Andersen. - He is incidentally never called Hans Christian Andersen in DK as he is in English. Don't know about other languages though...

here is a video:
Kronprinsparret på amerikansk visit - TV 2 Nyhederne

Old 06-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Nobility

I can't find one Washington DC local news report on today's event. I wonder if the US media is following this one at all. Americans, I think I can say this with some authority, tend to be self-focused. I used to live in DC and I can't say I remember a lot of great things about the local media. But, how can it be? The nation's capital has to compete with news about the federal government and random daily stuff.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Aristocracy

why THIS school ? who invited them and what was the purpose of today's visit?
thanks.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Courtier

Well Zonk if you do get to see the royal couple I hope you can put your journalist hat on and give all of us a detailed commentary of what you saw. cheers
Old 06-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofajr View Post
Thank you for the video. The reporter is hilarious! It looks like they had a nice time and it is good for children to learn about other countries and cultures. I was quite surprised also to hear just how much of an accent Mary has now when she speaks english. As an Australian, it sounds quite pronounced to me. What did others think?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

I actually thought she sounded much more Australian than usual this time round. Generally she has quite a pronounced posh aussie accent.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I actually thought she sounded much more Australian than usual this time round. Generally she has quite a pronounced posh aussie accent.
Funny you should say that Princejohnny, because I thought the exact same. Her english accent struck me as sounding particuarly Australian this time around. By that I mean I didn't hear so much of a Danish lilt as I normally do, though I've always thought she sounds distinctly Australian when she talks in her mother tongue anyway.

Her Australian accent is quite elegant (not in the least rural, but then again it never was). She rounds off words very well, making sure she articulates every letter in every word (where appropriate), thus making her sound quite, for better use of a word, 'posh'.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 06-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps she has finally gotten comfortable with her Danish and can easily change between the languages. Im guessing the mouth moves very differently for both languages and it would take lots of practice and experience before someone can effortlessly change between the two. Though to be honest, I quite liked her little Danish lilt. It was cute and suited her.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
An invitation needs to be issued, and accepted (as I'm sure would be the case) before a meeting can take place. That purely lies with the White House
Of course an invite has to be issued. Thats exactly what I'm saying. The President and First Lady have so far invited many different people, diplomats, etc. But of course, he hasn't really been in office that long, so I'm sure there's lots more invites going out.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Perhaps she has finally gotten comfortable with her Danish and can easily change between the languages. Im guessing the mouth moves very differently for both languages and it would take lots of practice and experience before someone can effortlessly change between the two. Though to be honest, I quite liked her little Danish lilt. It was cute and suited her.
In saying that, the lilt is still noticeable imo. And you make an interesting point.

It may also have something to do with, dare I say it, the possibility of 'nerves'. When Mary speaks to an adult audience in english or Danish, I notice she's ever so cautious on how to articulate herself. She pays so much attention to what she's saying and how she says it.

With children, that pressure is naturally not as prominent so HRH can speak with greater ease knowing she's not really being judged by an intellectual audience.

She's adopted Frederik's raising of the eyebrows when animating a sentence or word. It's rather cute.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Crown Prince Frederik (R) and Crown Princess Mary (back) of Denmark look at works of art by the Queen of Denmark at the official opening of the Wild Swans Exhibition, Meridian International Center in Washington DC, USA, 03 June 2010. The exhibition features artwork created by Queen Margrethe of Denmark, including the Queen's decoupages and costume designs used in Jacob Joergensen's film 'The Wild Swans'. It is the first time for the Queen's artwork to be exhibited in the United States.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2420/20559437.jpg
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7324/m22p.jpg
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4396/m11a.jpg
Belga & ANP
Old 06-04-2010, 01:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryo View Post
why THIS school ? who invited them and what was the purpose of today's visit?
thanks.
Quote:
For a year the children in 5th grade at John Eaton’s Elementary School have been studying Denmark and Danish society, culture and history as part of the Embassy Adoption Program.......The Embassy Adoption Program is a global education program, which pairs area embassies with fifth and sixth grade classrooms to engage students in cultural and international enrichment activities.....John Eaton Elementary School is the Embassy of Denmark’s ‘adopted’ school for the school year 2009/2010.
from: American School Children Present Denmark for Crown Prince and Princess - Embassy of Denmark Washington
Old 06-04-2010, 02:22 AM
Heir Apparent

I just love what her hair stylist has done with her fringe. Theres a light wave to it. Very chic and sets her face off beautifully.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:32 AM
Gentry

She seems to be wearing the Georg Jensen "Daisy" brooch in her hair, the same brooch that Victoria wore on a white dress at the lunch reception for Queen Margrethe recently. I think it is a nice tribute to Margrethe at this exhibition of her art. (The "Daisy" series of jewellry was created in Margrethe's honour when she was a child or something like that. Don't remember the exact details. Also Margrethe's nickname is Daisy.)
Old 06-04-2010, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Another great picture gallery of the first event from msndk:

** Frederik og Mary i børnhave
Kronprinsparret besøger John Eaton Elementary School i Washington

** belga gallery day 1 - June 3 **

Old 06-04-2010, 04:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by efraimsdotter View Post
She seems to be wearing the Georg Jensen "Daisy" brooch in her hair, the same brooch that Victoria wore on a white dress at the lunch reception for Queen Margrethe recently. I think it is a nice tribute to Margrethe at this exhibition of her art. (The "Daisy" series of jewellry was created in Margrethe's honour when she was a child or something like that. Don't remember the exact details. Also Margrethe's nickname is Daisy.)
I too noticed that. Quite the lovely gesture towards her mother in-law.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Lovely pictures so far, the weather is being good to them.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

BB has a picture gallery of Day 1 with lovely close ups and details of Mary

Stilfulde Mary begejstrer i USA – se billederne
Old 06-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

BT has a nice gallery from the visit at the school: http://www.bt.dk/royale/frederik-og-mary-indtager-usa

The somewhat burdened looking woman sitting in the same row as M&F is the principal of the school.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark(L), receives flowers from four year old Norville Coats as she arrives to tour Walter Reed Medical Center June 4, 2010 in Washington, DC. The US Army hospital provides advanced medical services for members of the US Army.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5599/20570186.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/456/20570045.jpg