The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Commoner

A Gala Dress Indeed

Oh dear me!! Top Danish designers designing for showgirls!!! Naughty naughty, rap on nuckles!!! Mary could give any dress class, always has done and I'm sure will continue to do so.
Taree

Old 09-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
I guess I am the only who doesn't like this outfit. I like the color combination, but the skirt looks like a flapper dress, except that its long. She is glowing though.
No, Saphire, you're not the only one...though I also find her glowing...is THIS a dress? Looks like a T-shirt with a no-matching-at-all skirt. So far during this trip Mary has displayed, IMHO, two great outfits (the white coat and the black shirt & skirt from yesterday) combined with two fashion blunders... (this dress and the - i don't know how to describe it - 'folk' blouse + skirt. Well...

Old 09-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verde Esmeralda View Post
No, Saphire, you're not the only one...though I also find her glowing...is THIS a dress? Looks like a T-shirt with a no-matching-at-all skirt. So far during this trip Mary has displayed, IMHO, two great outfits (the white coat and the black shirt & skirt from yesterday) combined with two fashion blunders... (this dress and the - i don't know how to describe it - 'folk' blouse + skirt. Well...

Huh? I'm totally confused! You think her gala outfit looked like a t-shirt on top? I don't believe anything she wore during this entire trip even came close to resembling a t-shirt. Yes, the gala combo and the ruffle/strong pattern dress was a bit much. But the t-shirt comparison I'm not getting?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Courtier

I give CP Mary an A+ on her fashion sense in New York. She looked elegant and very well put together. She's come a long way from that "goth" look she sported at Prince Henrik's birthday right before her wedding.

Good for her!
Old 09-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks to you all for posting I have really enjoyed catching up when I can. Mary looked just beautiful in everything but that strange beaded top/ black belt outfit .....vv odd ..IMO all else divine. I love her hair thank heaven it is growing I am trying to imagine what a girl from sleepy Tassie must make of her most fortunate life so full of privilege amazing. She does seem to take it all in her stride.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:11 PM
Courtier

I cannot even imagine how she has been able to step into a roll that some born into cannot handle. She is such a beautiful, competent young woman that is so in love with her husband and children. She was here in the US to represent her country. Some of her clothing may not have suited her as well as others she has worn in the past. This is not all her fault. Maybe with today’s designs she did not have that many choices to make for something we would all think was suitable for her. They wanted her to wear designs from Denmark, and this is what she did. We all know that so many of the new fashions are going back to the 70’s and 80’s. We must admit that was not our most fashionable times. She managed to carry this trip off with grace and dignity. For that alone, her husband and country must be very proud of her.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Aristocracy

Photo galleries from a press conference (in very Jackie Kennedy/Audrey Hepburn little black-dress)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ressemde_6.jpg

Friday, Sept., 21, 2007
Old 09-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

So, does anybody know what was said during the press conference?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currier View Post
I thought CPMary looked gorgeous at all times: great hair, posture, expressions, composure, etc. yet under the stress of ever-present cameras. I'd like to hear more observations from Sniemann. I'll bet when M and F appeared at the Gala a collective gasp was heard. CPF was at his hansome best, too, throughout the trip.
You are absolutely right; when the royal couple, accompanied by their extensive entourage, entered the hall all you could hear were the photographers clicking away. The rest of us just stood still as they made their grand entrance in the most elegant way possible. Mary's attire was sheer perfection, very Valentino-like, and I can guarantee you that there wasn't a woman (or man perhaps) that didn't find her breathtakingly beautiful. It is obvious (also from my observations yesterday) that Frederik basks in her glory, and they make a wonderful match. Mary stayed at her table most of the evening chatting with the people around her, wheras Frederik mingled among the guests (the people he knew, among other's Harry Belafonte's son, and various Danish digniteries. He seems very down-to-earth and easy-going.

I was so amazed to see how perfectly flawlessly and "princessy" Mary interacts, moves, talks. It all leads me to believe that she was born to be a princess On a lighter noted, I couldn't help but notice how Mary's makeup stayed so perfect all through the night, even after the main course :-)

I had the time of my life, that's for sure, and spoke briefly with Frederik's Chief of Court. All in all, one of the biggest experiences (besides my own wedding, of course) I have had to date.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Aristocracy

Mary looks stunning ...Love all outfits...
Old 09-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Royal Highness

Sniemann, you are a lucky one to have been able to see these two in person! Thanks for sharing your photos with us.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Aristocracy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilla View Post
I like this photo (source Polfoto.dk)

CP Couple in Central Park
I also like this photo. Crown Princess Mary looks so beautiful and elegant in the picture. She has beautifully done her job as patron of danish fashion, jewellery and design on this trip! Keep up the good work.........Mary!!!!!

Indeed, Crown Princess Mary is one of the most beautiful and elegant Crown Princesses in the world!
Old 09-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Commoner

Please correct me if I am wrong, but did they really hold this press conference at Tavern on the Green, perhaps the most tacky place in all of Manhattan? I would have expected something more sophisticated since they are supposed to be promoting great Danish design sense. Yuck. Tavern on the Green -- the most famous tacky eatery in New York! Well, maybe a few of the famous delis are worse.

Whatever--thanks for the posts. I live in Manhattan, and if not for the posts I would have had no knowledge of their trip to New York. Unfortunately it did not interest the local press much.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Aristocracy

On this trip Princess Mary is mostly in white and black, but she still looks wonderful.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:32 PM
Courtier

I loved the fabric of Fredericks tux and the fact that it was navy! He stood out from all the other "penguins" in the room. I preferred his "gala outfit" more than Mary's.
However Fred looks a bit under the weather, does he have a cold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soriagirl View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, but did they really hold this press conference at Tavern on the Green, perhaps the most tacky place in all of Manhattan? I would have expected something more sophisticated since they are supposed to be promoting great Danish design sense. Yuck. Tavern on the Green -- the most famous tacky eatery in New York! Well, maybe a few of the famous delis are worse.

Whatever--thanks for the posts. I live in Manhattan, and if not for the posts I would have had no knowledge of their trip to New York. Unfortunately it did not interest the local press much.

What's so tacky about Tavern On The Green? It used to be the place to go, has it gone down?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Aristocracy

I think Mary looked fantastic at the gala. Simply stunning! I don't always like what she wears, but I think she has great style!
Old 09-21-2007, 11:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
I think that when we speak the name "Princess" we think of a very beautiful, pure and elegant person has Mary is! When we get to see Mary wearing that beautiful dresses we are induce to say that she looks like a real PrincessBeeing a princess is also about fashion and know how to dress for the ocassion, and Mary knows how to do that better than anyone. But I also must admit that sometimes she abuse a little bit of her fashion sense!
Considering Mary isn't a "real" princess, your logic is a bit off.

IMO, Mary hasn't put even one outfit together well enough in NYC. She went from one extreme, the crazy dress, to another, the black school teacher outfit yesterday. The white beaded skirt doesn't go that well with the black top. It's too extreme. A silvery top will look much better. What she shows is that she has a lot of money to buy a lot of outfit, like a kid in the candy store, but she doesn't know how to put them together and accessorize them. For most of her outfits, the best thing I can say is that she stood out. I wouldn't call her elegant and definitely, not sophistcated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Exactly MissSaga, that's the dress I was thinking of! Thanks for posting the links. It's glamorous, classy, has a wonderful rich color and is totally un-weareble unless a woman has a figure like CP Mary...
Actually, that dress was made famous by Oprah who doesn't have a slim figure and I thought Oprah looked better than Mary did in that dress. The high neckline doesn't really suit Mary with her long chin. And the two satin crosses at front accentrate Oprah's curves, something Mary doesn't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady E View Post
I get 'W' Magazine, and on the back is a model in a Gucci dress. The dress is patterned nicely with matching skirt and top - but the design is VERY similar to Mary's Birger dress. Fluffy top with a 'cravat', sleeves that billow, narrow belt that is high waisted. When I saw that I thought... AHA.
Does the Gucci dress have BLACK ruffles on white blouse and CRAZY patterns on the skirt AND a big black belt? I highly doubt it. Fluffy top is in fashion, belt is in fahsion, but they don't look like what Mary is wearing.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess View Post
Considering Mary isn't a "real" princess, your logic is a bit off.
I'm pretty sure that Frederick made her a princess by marrying her. You may choose not to accept that, but I believe it's a logical conclusion. To the Danish people and court she's a "real" princess, But I'm sure you know better.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by soriagirl View Post

I've been to Tavern on the Green twice and on the second visit, I noticed how "tourisy" it became. The food wasn't that good either.

I was curious whether there's any American press present at the press conference. I notice all the photos on their trip are from Danish press. I can't imagine American press being interested in them.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:24 AM
Serene Highness

Someone correct if I'm wrong. But wouldn't this be the first time that Christian has been left in Denmark without either parent. I know he has his grandparents around him though. Quite impressive if you think about it seems like other royal parents travel around much more and their kids are left behind at younger ages then Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess View Post
I've been to Tavern on the Green twice and on the second visit, I noticed how "tourisy" it became. The food wasn't that good either.

I was curious whether there's any American press present at the press conference. I notice all the photos on their trip are from Danish press. I can't imagine American press being interested in them.
America doesn't really care about any royalty except for the British and at times Monaco's RF. Likely they don't care much because royalty is not our thing here. News of royals visiting is never really big. However, that does not mean this is not important. Because it's not about getting on TV it's about making connections with the right people/companies. Fred and Mary came to America to do a specific job and they did that. There job was not to parade in front of the American media. That job is currently fulfilled by annoying celebs like Britney Spears. Oh and OJ Simpson attracted a lot of attention this week too.

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, new york, official visit