Prince Frederik and Princess Mary's Visit to New York: September 17-21, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sniemann, you are a lucky one to have been able to see these two in person! Thanks for sharing your photos with us.

I like this photo (source Polfoto.dk)

CP Couple in Central Park

I also like this photo. Crown Princess Mary looks so beautiful and elegant in the picture. She has beautifully done her job as patron of danish fashion, jewellery and design on this trip! Keep up the good work.........Mary!!!!! :flowers:

Indeed, Crown Princess Mary is one of the most beautiful and elegant Crown Princesses in the world! :wub:

Last edited:
Please correct me if I am wrong, but did they really hold this press conference at Tavern on the Green, perhaps the most tacky place in all of Manhattan? I would have expected something more sophisticated since they are supposed to be promoting great Danish design sense. Yuck. Tavern on the Green -- the most famous tacky eatery in New York! Well, maybe a few of the famous delis are worse.

Whatever--thanks for the posts. I live in Manhattan, and if not for the posts I would have had no knowledge of their trip to New York. Unfortunately it did not interest the local press much.

On this trip Princess Mary is mostly in white and black, but she still looks wonderful.

I loved the fabric of Fredericks tux and the fact that it was navy! He stood out from all the other "penguins" in the room. I preferred his "gala outfit" more than Mary's.
However Fred looks a bit under the weather, does he have a cold?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but did they really hold this press conference at Tavern on the Green, perhaps the most tacky place in all of Manhattan? I would have expected something more sophisticated since they are supposed to be promoting great Danish design sense. Yuck. Tavern on the Green -- the most famous tacky eatery in New York! Well, maybe a few of the famous delis are worse.

Whatever--thanks for the posts. I live in Manhattan, and if not for the posts I would have had no knowledge of their trip to New York. Unfortunately it did not interest the local press much.

What's so tacky about Tavern On The Green? It used to be the place to go, has it gone down?:ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Mary looked fantastic at the gala. Simply stunning! I don't always like what she wears, but I think she has great style!

I think that when we speak the name "Princess" we think of a very beautiful, pure and elegant person has Mary is! When we get to see Mary wearing that beautiful dresses we are induce to say that she looks like a real Princess:princess3:Beeing a princess is also about fashion and know how to dress for the ocassion, and Mary knows how to do that better than anyone. But I also must admit that sometimes she abuse a little bit of her fashion sense!

Considering Mary isn't a "real" princess, your logic is a bit off. ;)

IMO, Mary hasn't put even one outfit together well enough in NYC. She went from one extreme, the crazy dress, to another, the black school teacher outfit yesterday. The white beaded skirt doesn't go that well with the black top. It's too extreme. A silvery top will look much better. What she shows is that she has a lot of money to buy a lot of outfit, like a kid in the candy store, but she doesn't know how to put them together and accessorize them. For most of her outfits, the best thing I can say is that she stood out. I wouldn't call her elegant and definitely, not sophistcated.

Exactly MissSaga, that's the dress I was thinking of! Thanks for posting the links. It's glamorous, classy, has a wonderful rich color and is totally un-weareble unless a woman has a figure like CP Mary...

Actually, that dress was made famous by Oprah who doesn't have a slim figure and I thought Oprah looked better than Mary did in that dress. The high neckline doesn't really suit Mary with her long chin. And the two satin crosses at front accentrate Oprah's curves, something Mary doesn't have.

I get 'W' Magazine, and on the back is a model in a Gucci dress. The dress is patterned nicely with matching skirt and top - but the design is VERY similar to Mary's Birger dress. Fluffy top with a 'cravat', sleeves that billow, narrow belt that is high waisted. When I saw that I thought... AHA.

Does the Gucci dress have BLACK ruffles on white blouse and CRAZY patterns on the skirt AND a big black belt? I highly doubt it. Fluffy top is in fashion, belt is in fahsion, but they don't look like what Mary is wearing.

Considering Mary isn't a "real" princess, your logic is a bit off. ;)
I'm pretty sure that Frederick made her a princess by marrying her. You may choose not to accept that, but I believe it's a logical conclusion. To the Danish people and court she's a "real" princess, But I'm sure you know better.:flowers:

:lol: I've been to Tavern on the Green twice and on the second visit, I noticed how "tourisy" it became. The food wasn't that good either.

I was curious whether there's any American press present at the press conference. I notice all the photos on their trip are from Danish press. I can't imagine American press being interested in them.

Someone correct if I'm wrong. But wouldn't this be the first time that Christian has been left in Denmark without either parent. I know he has his grandparents around him though. Quite impressive if you think about it seems like other royal parents travel around much more and their kids are left behind at younger ages then Christian.

:lol: I've been to Tavern on the Green twice and on the second visit, I noticed how "tourisy" it became. The food wasn't that good either.

I was curious whether there's any American press present at the press conference. I notice all the photos on their trip are from Danish press. I can't imagine American press being interested in them.

America doesn't really care about any royalty except for the British and at times Monaco's RF. Likely they don't care much because royalty is not our thing here. News of royals visiting is never really big. However, that does not mean this is not important. Because it's not about getting on TV it's about making connections with the right people/companies. Fred and Mary came to America to do a specific job and they did that. There job was not to parade in front of the American media. That job is currently fulfilled by annoying celebs like Britney Spears. Oh and OJ Simpson attracted a lot of attention this week too.

Photo galleries from a press conference (in very Jackie Kennedy/Audrey Hepburn little black-dress)

In Central Park

In Central Park

Friday, Sept., 21, 2007

CP Mary reminded me of Audrey Hepburn in 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' in this outfit. Only the hat was missing.

Stylewise, I guess I'd give her a 'B' for this trip. She looks good in black and whites. While I like the top of the gala outfit, I think the bugle bead fringe on the skirt would've looked better if it were smaller/thinner/narrower. And she went a little heavier on the jewelry (unusaul for her)than was needed. The only miss in my opinion would have been the dress/top-and-skirt combo that resemble a European folk costume. We don't see a lot of that here.

Simple, yet elegant - top work from Mary for the last day! :) Thanks for the pics

Actually, that dress was made famous by Oprah who doesn't have a slim figure and I thought Oprah looked better than Mary did in that dress. The high neckline doesn't really suit Mary with her long chin. And the two satin crosses at front accentrate Oprah's curves, something Mary doesn't have.

You are so right - Mary did look annoyingly good in that dress :D - just as she looked annoyingly good during this entire trip. Almost makes one really irritated, doesn't it? :lol:

America doesn't really care about any royalty except for the British and at times Monaco's RF. Likely they don't care much because royalty is not our thing here. News of royals visiting is never really big. However, that does not mean this is not important. Because it's not about getting on TV it's about making connections with the right people/companies. Fred and Mary came to America to do a specific job and they did that. There job was not to parade in front of the American media. That job is currently fulfilled by annoying celebs like Britney Spears. Oh and OJ Simpson attracted a lot of attention this week too.

You are quit right. Acording to "The danish ministry of trade and culture" and the "Danis industrial organisation", who has payed for the trip, this visit is about making connections with the right people/companies and not about attracting public attention. In that perspectiv Fred and Mary has fullfiled their task with exellence.

In absolute agreement. I just live four hours away from NYC and haven't seen anything about them on the news. But that is not what they are here for. Mary looks very elegant and chic in Central Park!

Video Links:

Tv2
TV 2 Nyhederne - DI: New York-tur en stor succes

They look So great that last day. Love what they said about how they talked to Christian over the phone !:wub: And when Frederik said Mary and him were collegues, husband and wife, lovers ! And how wonderfull Mary had some peace and wuiet so walk around in Soho and Central Park with Isabella in the mornings. This has been an amazing week for them, really, they've done a hell of a job, Mary's been looking flawless and Frederik has been really busy and just seemed really interested, they've been great, it's only a shame they didn't get to experience more of New York, didn't they say something about Broadway ? Anyhow, Mary looked very Audrey Herpburn, a look that looked great on her.

Thank you for sharing reality with us soriagirl. No one except for people on this board and Danish TV-stations recognized this trip. How important is this for Danish fashion and design industry? Not at all , I guess. Danish fashion and design is well known wordlwide. I don't think that this trip will increase any sales...

How important is this for Danish fashion and design industry? Not at all , I guess. Danish fashion and design is well known wordlwide. I don't think that this trip will increase any sales...
The Ministry already sent you a servey? Can you share it with us, please?

The reason for this trip was NOT to do PR for Danish fashion and design? It was to make contacts to important business partners..? Oh come on!
Do you really think that the Crown Prince couple is there to build up contacts to the fashion and design industry in the US? I guess that there are capable people from these industries who know their jobs very well who do this.

This whole fascination, I really tried hard to share with you, comes from pure fantasy. If these were people you don't know you probably would not turn your head if you meet them on the street.

Probably nice people, good looking. That's it. Everything else is nice make-up and good PR.

on one hand more exposure is good for denmark, on the other we get to keep them as "our secret" and they are not hunted and surrounded by press all the time. i'm glad they can find anonimity and get away from the "pack" i'd hate to see them in the crushing spotlight 24/7 of flashbulbs and rude tabloids on their back all the time.

The reason for this trip was NOT to do PR for Danish fashion and design? It was to make contacts to important business partners..? Oh come on!
Do you really think that the Crown Prince couple is there to build up contacts to the fashion and design industry in the US? I guess that there are capable people from these industries who know their jobs very well who do this.

This whole fascination, I really tried hard to share with you, comes from pure fantasy. If these were people you don't know you probably would not turn your head if you meet them on the street.

Probably nice people, good looking. That's it. Everything else is nice make-up and good PR.

Well Santacruz, you really don't want to recognise the fundamental reason for this trip to the NY. As the ols saying goes: Against s.. ..... even the goods are fighting in vain!

Don't botter trying, it's really not worth your time...

FYI: Here is the purpose of their trip from Creative Nation. But again, I'm sure you know better than the organiztions involved in the events, what the significance of their presence was.

http://www.di.dk/English/Press/Creative+Nation/ihkl.htm

Does anyone know which airport they flew in/out of?

Santacruz, you take all of this too seriously! You are right that there are very capable people in the Danish fashion industry who could manage just fine without an appearance by the CP couple. But I also would think they welcomed the two of them and any publicity they bring. They certainly seemed to be well received at the events they attended. Why so much hostility?

You are so right - Mary did look annoyingly good in that dress :D - just as she looked annoyingly good during this entire trip. Almost makes one really irritated, doesn't it? :lol:

UserDane, by jove, I think you got it!

America doesn't really care about any royalty except for the British and at times Monaco's RF. Likely they don't care much because royalty is not our thing here. News of royals visiting is never really big. However, that does not mean this is not important. Because it's not about getting on TV it's about making connections with the right people/companies. Fred and Mary came to America to do a specific job and they did that. There job was not to parade in front of the American media.

Well, their mission was to promote Denmark and Danish designs, wasn't it? How did they achieve that when they didn't get any publicity? We can complain about American media till the cow comes home, but they control publicity and public awareness. If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it count? How many Americans who were not familiar with Danish designs before become aware of them now because of F&M's visit?

It seems most people they met on this trip are Danes in the US or Danish Americans in front of Danish press. That's like preaching to the choir. Danes in the US or Danish American already have an affinity toward Denmark. They don't need F&M here to make the "connections". How many Americans did they connect with? It's clear they didn't meet any American political leaders so no diplomatic relationship was built. How many American companies did they connect with on behalf of Danish companies? If there is an announcement of a major business deal between a major American company and a Danish company after this visit, I'll be impressed and call the visit a success.

As of now, playing dressed up in a few functions doesn't make a trip a success. There is no lasting impact besides a few snap shots. This trip doesn't differ that much from most F&M's overseas visits: frivilous with little impact.

Well, their mission was to promote Denmark and Danish designs, wasn't it? How did they achieve that when they didn't get any publicity?
I think you can do promotion without just one mean. We don't know what kind of outreach that was done, nor do we know who was invited to the conference and other envents. Or do we? If they were all over the media, she would be an attention seeking something or other. Just admit it, there is the rule and there's the Mary rule. And we make that up as we go along, don't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom