Prince Frederik and Princess Mary's Visit to New York: September 17-21, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary's gala gown last night was simple gorgeous.

Exactly MissSaga, that's the dress I was thinking of! Thanks for posting the links. It's glamorous, classy, has a wonderful rich color and is totally un-weareble unless a woman has a figure like CP Mary... Love that demi-train of the new white skirt, BTW.

The gala outfit is fantastic! I love the beaded skirt, tres chic as was previously mentioned! :wub: The white and black skirt during the day was also very classy too. And I just noticed on some IBL pics, that Mary wore her wedding earrings for the gala :D

Thanks for the pics everyone! :flowers:

Last edited:
I liked most of her outfits with the exception of the black top with ruffles, the skirt she wore with it would go better with a plainer top.

Mary is always fresh and classy, it's a pleasure to see her taste in clothes at official functions.

I do wish the people who have nothing better to do than snipe about Mary's supposed character would find something better to do! :p But, they are entitled to their opinions. Luckily for them, most of us don't go to their "favorite princess from x realm" forum and post snide remarks.

I would highly appreciate if anyone can tell me exactly what is gorgous about this dress.:eek:

I do wish the people who have nothing better to do than snipe about Mary's supposed character would find something better to do! :p But, they are entitled to their opinions. Luckily for them, most of us don't go to their "favorite princess from x realm" forum and post snide remarks.
I know, what would be the point? Besides, I like them all. I have to admit all the comments are sometimes amusing. And I can see some of us are addicted to the rag mags.:lol:

I would highly appreciate if anyone can tell me exactly what is gorgous about this dress.:eek:

Amen. The gala dress looks like someone stole a cheesy hotel chandelier and made it into a skirt. The top half looks like it was taken from a past out-of-date bridesmaid gown.

A miss, not a hit for Mary. Sorry! :eek:

I really prefer the dress from last year! I think this dress was a bit too long for her and she could stumble on it!
Does Denmark have more designers than Malene Birger? She seams to be addicted to Malene Birger only!

Last edited:
I respect what everyone here has to say about the Malene Birger dress and the gala gown. In regards to the gown, yes... it is 'flapper' in nature, with a very beaded 'chandelier' look, but it flows nicely and is complimentary to her height. I certainly couldn't get away with it! IMHO, that's the thing about Mary. Some of her outfits aren't necessarily appealing at first, but after you consider them for a bit, she manages to really pull it off. With the Birger dress she wore yesterday (fluffy top and patterned skirt), I wanted to post something I noticed in another publication. I get 'W' Magazine, and on the back is a model in a Gucci dress. The dress is patterned nicely with matching skirt and top - but the design is VERY similar to Mary's Birger dress. Fluffy top with a 'cravat', sleeves that billow, narrow belt that is high waisted. When I saw that I thought... AHA. This dress is a 'hot' design for the fall season, and Mary is the first well known person to wear something like this out. As I said before... it wasn't that appealing at first to me, but in the end I say good for her -- she seemed to pull it off.

I love the dress, anyone else might have looked loud but she is so sophisticated she can carry it off:flowers:

Amen. The gala dress looks like someone stole a cheesy hotel chandelier and made it into a skirt. The top half looks like it was taken from a past out-of-date bridesmaid gown.

A miss, not a hit for Mary. Sorry! :eek:

It is so funny how people see things so different, I love the gal dress. Way to go Mary, what a great trip!

Hi again, everyone,

As promised, I wanted to get back to you with some pics that I took at the conference and galla yesterday. The venues were extremely dark, and I only have a regular digital camera, so this is all I can come up with. Mary looked spectacular in her two-piece gown, a little mermaid like:)
I am not sure how to post pictures, so I am just going to attach a link instead - enjoy!

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0BctXDRq5bsXPQ&emid=sharview&linkid=link2

I logged in late last night and only saw 1 pic of the gala. At that time I didn't want to form an opinion until I could see more pics. I have to say I think the gala outfit is just so-so. It's not bad but it's not great either! I really like the black top part but the skirt is just too much once again. Plus her gray shoes peeking out every so often when she walks looks weird to me.

However, I think Mary had a very specific job to do in promoting Danish design and she did that well the entire visit. Mary is very fashionable that is for sure. But I think back at home in Denmark she might not have picked a few of the outfits she was seen in. This trip called for her to experiment and push the limits. I applaud her!

I logged in late last night and only saw 1 pic of the gala. At that time I didn't want to form an opinion until I could see more pics. I have to say I think the gala outfit is just so-so. It's not bad but it's not great either! I really like the black top part but the skirt is just too much once again. Plus her gray shoes peeking out every so often when she walks looks weird to me.
I applaud you! That's a very constructively formed opinion, and I share your sentiment. This is my least favorite outfit of the trip. Otherwise, very well done!:flowers:

Hi again, everyone,

As promised, I wanted to get back to you with some pics that I took at the conference and galla yesterday. The venues were extremely dark, and I only have a regular digital camera, so this is all I can come up with. Mary looked spectacular in her two-piece gown, a little mermaid like:)
I am not sure how to post pictures, so I am just going to attach a link instead - enjoy!

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0BctXDRq5bsXPQ&emid=sharview&linkid=link2

Thank you Sniemann - your link works perfectly :crown6:and your pics are great!

I don't like Mary's sense of style. She has nice clothes, but she needs help putting them all together. The prince looks like he just woke up in most pictures. He always is in need of a good haircut.

I don't like Mary's sense of style. She has nice clothes, but she needs help putting them all together. The prince looks like he just woke up in most pictures. He always is in need of a good haircut.

Oh thanks, that reminds me! Sometimes we get a little distracted at looking at Mary's pretty clothes and forget that handsome man that she is with. I think Fred looked great during this trip as well. I love the new pics at the Danish Royal watchers site with him and Mary standing in front of the buildings.

I think Fred definitely had the busier schedule as it should be. He looked like a kid in a candy store at the NYSE. There was also the visit to Lundbeck where he had on the lab coat and looked very interested in things. Then the visit to Arla foods, I liked the pics of him standing by the foods. I think he must have enjoyed those samples! All in all Fred was really busy during this trip and he deserves some praise too!!!:flowers:

Last edited:
I agree with Linda Hsu. Mary does an excellent job as patron of Danish fashion and design on this trip

I could see the dress she wore on Thursday. I think people could wear that dress for night outing such club or party but for business is a little to much. Over all it looks good on her.

I thought CPMary looked gorgeous at all times: great hair, posture, expressions, composure, etc. yet under the stress of ever-present cameras. I'd like to hear more observations from Sniemann. I'll bet when M and F appeared at the Gala a collective gasp was heard. CPF was at his hansome best, too, throughout the trip.

A Gala Dress Indeed

Oh dear me!! Top Danish designers designing for showgirls!!! Naughty naughty, rap on nuckles!!! Mary could give any dress class, always has done and I'm sure will continue to do so.
Taree:wub:

I guess I am the only who doesn't like this outfit. I like the color combination, but the skirt looks like a flapper dress, except that its long. She is glowing though.

No, Saphire, you're not the only one...though I also find her glowing...is THIS a dress? Looks like a T-shirt with a no-matching-at-all skirt. So far during this trip Mary has displayed, IMHO, two great outfits (the white coat and the black shirt & skirt from yesterday) combined with two fashion blunders... (this dress and the - i don't know how to describe it - 'folk' blouse + skirt. Well... :ermm:

No, Saphire, you're not the only one...though I also find her glowing...is THIS a dress? Looks like a T-shirt with a no-matching-at-all skirt. So far during this trip Mary has displayed, IMHO, two great outfits (the white coat and the black shirt & skirt from yesterday) combined with two fashion blunders... (this dress and the - i don't know how to describe it - 'folk' blouse + skirt. Well... :ermm:

Huh? I'm totally confused! You think her gala outfit looked like a t-shirt on top? I don't believe anything she wore during this entire trip even came close to resembling a t-shirt. Yes, the gala combo and the ruffle/strong pattern dress was a bit much. But the t-shirt comparison I'm not getting?

I give CP Mary an A+ on her fashion sense in New York. She looked elegant and very well put together. She's come a long way from that "goth" look she sported at Prince Henrik's birthday right before her wedding.

Good for her!:flowers:

Thanks to you all for posting I have really enjoyed catching up when I can. Mary looked just beautiful in everything but that strange beaded top/ black belt outfit .....vv odd ..IMO all else divine. I love her hair thank heaven it is growing I am trying to imagine what a girl from sleepy Tassie must make of her most fortunate life so full of privilege amazing. She does seem to take it all in her stride.

I cannot even imagine how she has been able to step into a roll that some born into cannot handle. She is such a beautiful, competent young woman that is so in love with her husband and children. She was here in the US to represent her country. Some of her clothing may not have suited her as well as others she has worn in the past. This is not all her fault. Maybe with today’s designs she did not have that many choices to make for something we would all think was suitable for her. They wanted her to wear designs from Denmark, and this is what she did. We all know that so many of the new fashions are going back to the 70’s and 80’s. We must admit that was not our most fashionable times. She managed to carry this trip off with grace and dignity. For that alone, her husband and country must be very proud of her.

Last edited:
So, does anybody know what was said during the press conference?

I thought CPMary looked gorgeous at all times: great hair, posture, expressions, composure, etc. yet under the stress of ever-present cameras. I'd like to hear more observations from Sniemann. I'll bet when M and F appeared at the Gala a collective gasp was heard. CPF was at his hansome best, too, throughout the trip.

You are absolutely right; when the royal couple, accompanied by their extensive entourage, entered the hall all you could hear were the photographers clicking away. The rest of us just stood still as they made their grand entrance in the most elegant way possible. Mary's attire was sheer perfection, very Valentino-like, and I can guarantee you that there wasn't a woman (or man perhaps:lol:) that didn't find her breathtakingly beautiful. It is obvious (also from my observations yesterday) that Frederik basks in her glory, and they make a wonderful match. Mary stayed at her table most of the evening chatting with the people around her, wheras Frederik mingled among the guests (the people he knew, among other's Harry Belafonte's son, and various Danish digniteries. He seems very down-to-earth and easy-going.

I was so amazed to see how perfectly flawlessly and "princessy" Mary interacts, moves, talks. It all leads me to believe that she was born to be a princess :lol: On a lighter noted, I couldn't help but notice how Mary's makeup stayed so perfect all through the night, even after the main course :)

I had the time of my life, that's for sure, and spoke briefly with Frederik's Chief of Court. All in all, one of the biggest experiences (besides my own wedding, of course) I have had to date.

Mary looks stunning ...Love all outfits...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom