Prince Frederik and Princess Mary's Visit to New York: September 17-21, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the outfit is a dress from this morning. It is by Danish Designer Malene Birger. I don't think it's inappropriate, but doesn't fit Mary's personality. But we all have to wear something different from time to time. If it were on Maxima no one would bat an eyelash. But it was a good choice in promoting a Danish designers new collection.

but this is one of the worst CP Mary outfits ever
Not in a million years could I agree with that..hehe.

Mary looks fantastic! Don't understand the comments saying this is not appropriate for a princess, however

She looked incredible...I LOVE IT! A perfect combination and something I, myself, would wear without changing a single thing. That blouse is simply gorgeous and the skirt...:wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the outfit but that belt! Too "heavy" for such a delilcate looking outfit.

Exactly my thought. Not just too heavy. It's too masculine for such a feminine outfit. The belt would be great for a daytime outfit, not on an evening outfit.

The outfit she wore today is way over-the-top. She should have stuck with a plain white blouse, belt, and then the crazy skirt. Adding a crazy blouse is too much for the eyes!

Agree. There are way too much going on. The black ruffles on the blouse, the belt and the crazy patterns on the skirt. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw a short news clip from the exhibition F&M were at; the outfit looked good in live pictures.

Sniemann, thank you for your first-hand reports :flowers: - it is great that you are able to follow them this closely.

... To make my day, Mary now has to wear her gorgeous silver jewellery from Georg Jensen to an evening event!

Last edited:
Thanks JessRules!

I'm in two (or more even) minds about this outfit - when I look at the skirt itself, I hate it, its hideous! But I love the outfit as a whole (surprising myself truth be told). And I agree that it would fit in on Sex and the City perfectly. Nor is it conventional princess to me - that would be one of her many beautiful coats. But I still think it is perfectly appropriate.
Confused yet?

Last edited:
Oh I want that blouse!!!

I leave for Europe tomorrow, and whilst I shall be gone only a week and hadn't planned on allowing myself time for a "shop", Mary has inspired me to make the most of my contacts and see what I can obtain:w00t2:

Last edited:
I happen to like the outfit and I am normally one that doesn't care for those more modern type patterns. The ruffled edge on the collar echoes the pattern in the skirt, and keeps Mary's face from being washed out by the white blouse. The belt and the blouse keep the skirt being being too overpowering. All in all I think it fits well together. :flowers:

Some more pictures from Day 1 activities at this link :flowers:

And I love this pic :D

And day two's outfit is not a blouse and a skirt - it's a dress! :D So all our grand plans to stick the blouse with a pair of pants or a skirt have just gone down the toilet! :D The dress is a Malene Birger creation, from the Spring 2008 collection

Last edited:
Even I thought it was a blouse!! :ohmy:

And I'm going back to Copenhagen..Oooooo..this is fantastic!!!!! Thankyou, JessRulz.

I am either really liking or hating the outfit. I haven't made up my mind as of yet.
Like me!I don't know what to say. Maybe if we saw that outfit in other person I will not like it, but Mary is always fantastic. She does like Malene Birger very mucht! But I think this outfit (someone has said it is a dress) doens't fit her personallity at all in my opinion, but I'am glad she take the initiative tu try something different, something very trendy and somehting that is not even on sale because it is a srping summer 2008!!! Gohs she is so lucky to ahve this opportunity, she is creatting fashion

Last edited:
I think the combination of the skirt and the blouse doesn't really "work"...
I can imagine that the blouse combined with a simple black skirt (or simple black trousers ) would look really elegant.
The same goes for the skirt: it would look better with a simple top...
but the combination is just a bit too much..
I love her shoes. ;)

Edit:

I should read earlier posts before I reply..
Okay, it's a dress... all my advices have been gone with the wind. :D

Last edited:
I like her skirt,but not her blouse. I think it`s not good combination.

wow! i'm super impressed. i love the blouse and the skirt she wore today, she looks really trendy! in other situations, i wouldn't approve (perhaps a bit too much for a princess) but considering she is trying to show what's danish design like, i think it's okay. i'd give her a 9/10, just because of the fact that, although they are all lovely clothes (skirt, blouse and shoes)- they are a little bit too much when used together.

I think the combination of the skirt and the blouse doesn't really "work"...
I can imagine that the blouse combined with a simple black skirt (or simple black trousers ) would look really elegant.
The same goes for the skirt: it would look better with a simple top...
but the combination is just a bit too much..
I love her shoes. ;)

Edit:
I should read earlier posts before I reply..
Okay, it's a dress... all my advices have been gone with the wind. :D
I totally agree about if it were a blouse and skirt. If it's a dress, let's just hope that we don't see this one again! Not at all a winner in my book! There's just tooooooo much going on with the ruffled shirt and the patterned skirt. Although, her make up was flawless and beautiful as usual!

First day, was great, loved the both outfits.Mary & Fred looked worn out, could be due to the long flight and adjusting timings.
Day two, well when i first sew the outfit worn ny Mary i was what was she thinking, but looking at it again, its a pretty outfit, nice skirt & blouse but not put together. Mary that day on her solo visit didnt look, happy, intrested, she looked like she was miles away but later the day when Fred & Mary were out together she looked really happy. Finally we get to see more outings of the together.
Thanks for the pictures everyone

This is getting on my nerves. Mary looks good in her clothes. But she tries so hard being fascinating, having that " I am so beautiful and important" glance around her. I don't like that very much. I like people more natural and down to earth- even if they are princesss. She almost seems to have the same perfectionism attitude like Victoria Beckham. And I guess the two are of a quite similar kind. Except for Mary wearing more conservative clothes.Sorry guys but this is showbiz not royalty...;)

She looks very chic in that outfit! This is a new outfit? I have never seen it on her before. It kind of looks very new yorkee.

What a weird thing to say that two people you don't know are of the same kind santacruz.:cool: Even if you are a devoted follower of Victoria Beckham I doubt that you know CP Mary.
Looking interested in what is going on around you - which in this connection is part of the 'job description' - is far away from having that glance about you which you say.

ary
This is getting on my nerves. Mary looks good in her clothes. But she tries so hard being fascinating, having that " I am so beautiful and important" glance around her. I don't like that very much. I like people more natural and down to earth- even if they are princesss. She almost seems to have the same perfectionism attitude like Victoria Beckham. And I guess the two are of a quite similar kind. Except for Mary wearing more conservative clothes.Sorry guys but this is showbiz not royalty...;)

I have to take issue with this statement. CP Mary is about as much like Victoria Beckham as I am. It's just my opinion but I really think she is down to earth and natural. I would even go so far as to hazard a guess that there is still some Australian there (albeit a little buried). Don't forget, we Aussies invented the phrase "tall poppy syndrome". We don't suffer "airs and graces" easily and I think she has worked hard to maintain a sense of normality and naturalness in her new role.

She doesn't have to try to be fascinating - she is.

She almost seems to have the same perfectionism attitude like Victoria Beckham. And I guess the two are of a quite similar kind. Except for Mary wearing more conservative clothes.

I'd agree if Mary's face had almost frozen to one artificial expression, she wore superbug sunglasses all the time and had gone from almost nothing to DDD+ in the boob department, not to forget the fake finger- and toenails :D

It's the duty of a princess to look as pleasant as possible, at the end of the day it's appearance that matters and Mary is doing very well here. In fact I appreciate that her hair is always done nicely and that she puts effort into her styling - alongsite her busy schedule, with or without Fred.

I would be thrilled to have that Birger dress -- how cool! Takes a daring confident person to pull that one off. Score 1 for CP Mary!

I don’t know why people need to make outlandish remarks to justify not liking someone. I don’t like Mary would suffice to get the point across, and therefore the opinion would be more understandable/respectable.

Believe me , I am not the only person who thinks about Mary like that. It is as realistic to say that she is quite similar to a showgirl as it is to say that she is the most beautiful, fascinating person in the world. After all, its all a matter of taste and knowledge of human nature. I really believe that that there is much more pretending than real stuff. BUt I don't want to shatter your princess dream, girls...I bet she is wonderful..;)

Just see Victoria Beckham on her day to day life and we can see the differences very clear! Mary likes to walk with her dog, on her jeans, with her tennis, she likes to wear short jeans and walk on the beach with her son and some friends, she likes to drive his son to daycare on a bike with her dog around her, she likes nature and she likes beeing around nature but what is most fascinating is that when she need to be a real princess and play her dutties she can do that has we see now during this trip. She can do her job very well, she is beautiful and she knows how to dress according to the occasion and I belive that sometimes she has to pretend, she has to pretend that she is enjoying, she has to smile to photographers when she really wanted to be at home with her kids! That's knowing how to play her job and her job is to be a day to day princess with all comes with it and she knows how to it perfectly!

Yes I agree, it's the job of a princess to do all those " very important " things, but why do people have a very strange feeling only about Mary ? It has been an issue in several magazines, even in Denmark. Everything seems to be Crownpincess show, it is the real person, the heart that is missed. The strenght to be the person you are. Every other CP is able to be herself, Mary plays roles. That is not necessary. The other monarchys are the living proof for that. It seems to me that it is not about doing a perfect job but to do that job in a very narcistic way . ( Latest example the launch of a quite obscur foundation ). And this behaviour IS in fact quite similar to Mrs Beckham. Which I am not a devoted follower, but it's never too late to change your mind...:rolleyes:

I know the subject of Victoria Beckham is an incredibly fascinating one, but can we please get back to the subject at hand.

In case anyone forgot, this topic is reserved for Frederik and Mary's Official Visit to NYC.

Furthermore, if anyone wishes to debate the issue regarding Mary and Victoria please do so via PM. I know it's hard, but humor me and get back on topic.

Thanks,
Mandy, Empress, and GT
Danish Mods
:)

Well a lot of people like CP Mary with good reason. A few seem to dislike her whatever the reason is. She is going to be my queen one day and I hold her in my highest regard. Personally I would never critizise the princess of an other nation for her personallity.;)

I find it quit okay to make comments on how they dress, just like I have my oppinions upon the stile of CP Mary. I like her stile but when it coms to that Malene Birger dress - I can't make up my mind. The dress does seem to be a bit to much of everything. On the other hand it look like the stile of the 80's are back - so I better get used to it:flowers:.

I just noticed on the schedule that tonight is the gala dinner. I'm looking forward to that. Even though it is nice that Fred and Mary are here in the United States. I'm kind of having a hard time with the time zone thing. When they are in Denmark if it's an evening event I have all afternoon to come and look at pics, thanks to the time difference. But when they are here in the same time zone as myself it's harder to get back online and look at the pics just because the timing isn't as good for me. Oh, the very small issues I have. Crazy, I know. ;)

She just make it rigth that's why!
I think the Malene Birger outfit is lovely but really not very proper for the occasion, maybe a bit to mucht! I wouldn't feel confortable and confident wearing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom