Prince Frederik and Princess Mary's Visit to New York: September 17-21, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are so right - Mary did look annoyingly good in that dress :D - just as she looked annoyingly good during this entire trip. Almost makes one really irritated, doesn't it? :lol:

No, the only annoying part is that you can't read my post.

The only outfit Mary wore on this trip that is a winner is the little black dress on the last day. But again, that looks so much like all the other little black dresses that came out after Audrey Hepburn's "Breakfast in Tiffany", I don't know how this dress would distinguish Danish designs from the rest if this is indeed designed by a Danish designer.

Trust me, New York has a lot of well-dressed and chic women. All the other outfits Mary wore wouldn't really turn heads and make New York women start taking note of Danish designs.

Trust me, New York has a lot of well-dressed and chic women. All the other outfits Mary wore wouldn't really turn heads and make New York women start taking note of Danish designs.
I thought in order to be a real person she's not supposed to seek attention? And that's a broad statement concerning NY women, non?

on one hand more exposure is good for denmark, on the other we get to keep them as "our secret" and they are not hunted and surrounded by press all the time. i'm glad they can find anonimity and get away from the "pack" i'd hate to see them in the crushing spotlight 24/7 of flashbulbs and rude tabloids on their back all the time.

Why would it be necessary to have the CPCouple give more exposure to Denmark during this Creativenation programme, 95% of the firms that participated, and paid $6,000.00 for the priviledge of doing so, are already established in the US. As for the last part of your post - there doesn't appear to much fear that they will be anything but anonymous, no one knows who they are in the US, their presence was not reported in the press, - flashbulbs and 'rude' tabloids are the domain of the danish press, it's good for sales.

No, the only annoying part is that you can't read my post.

The only outfit Mary wore on this trip that is a winner is the little black dress on the last day. But again, that looks so much like all the other little black dresses that came out after Audrey Hepburn's "Breakfast in Tiffany", I don't know how this dress would distinguish Danish designs from the rest if this is indeed designed by a Danish designer.

But of course I trust you highpriestess :)
You have proven so well that you are able to view this royal trip as any other trip where royals accompany a trade delegation from their home country. Your balanced and unbiased views and opinions have been the highlights of my visits to this thread :flowers:

Last edited:
Well, their mission was to promote Denmark and Danish designs, wasn't it? How did they achieve that when they didn't get any publicity? We can complain about American media till the cow comes home, but they control publicity and public awareness. If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it count? How many Americans who were not familiar with Danish designs before become aware of them now because of F&M's visit?

It seems most people they met on this trip are Danes in the US or Danish Americans in front of Danish press. That's like preaching to the choir. Danes in the US or Danish American already have an affinity toward Denmark. They don't need F&M here to make the "connections". How many Americans did they connect with? It's clear they didn't meet any American political leaders so no diplomatic relationship was built. How many American companies did they connect with on behalf of Danish companies? If there is an announcement of a major business deal between a major American company and a Danish company after this visit, I'll be impressed and call the visit a success.

As of now, playing dressed up in a few functions doesn't make a trip a success. There is no lasting impact besides a few snap shots. This trip doesn't differ that much from most F&M's overseas visits: frivilous with little impact.

Do you know how big America is? 302,485,000 live here, we are not a small country and New York is not a small city. In NYC there are 8.2 million living within the city limits, that is more than the entire country of Denmark. Do you know how many companies we have here that very few know about? Lots! I hear about new companies all the time that I didn't even know existed yet they've been around for years. Therefore in my opinion it is very possible that Fred and Mary's trip made a difference for Denmark. They made the connections and met with the people they were supposed to. This was not a trip about making a diplomatic relationship. There's a link that explains the purpose of the trip in post #285 by Chimene.

This was not about coming to America and taking America by storm. And you state that there are people that are trained to do these types of jobs already but that's just it. There is no other Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Denmark. Don't you think that the people that were visited by them cared a little more about meeting with the Denmark reps because of Fred and Mary. Wouldn't you yourself prefer meeting His and Her Royal Highnesses joined by other Danish reps than just your average ol' Joe from Denmark.(sorry my Danish friends, I can't think of a good Danish name right now.) See the difference. Because they are there, some extra people took the visit more seriously I'm sure about that.

But answer me this is this only about Fred and Mary or if this had been Charles and Camilla, Felipe and Letizia doing this same trip for their individual countries would you still be calling it a waste of time and saying that it is only about dress-up? Just curious! Charles and Camilla visited America not that long ago and no big diplomatic deals were done(and only a small amount of national attention was paid to them, might I add) nor were there any big diplomatic deals done when Queen Elizabeth visited in May. Royalty works different then our politicians here work. For one they are not politicians at all! I think your expectations are way off for Fred and Mary and this trip to NY. Other royals have come to New York or other parts of America and things have been quite similar as far as attention that it receives by us Americans. But it's really not about the attention! The things I've noticed with royalty is when they visit places they have a very specific purpose and they should not step out of that purpose.

Last edited:
<Deleted offensive quote>

<Deleted reply to offensive quote>

wiwaxia
Why would it be necessary to have the CPCouple give more exposure to Denmark during this Creativenation programme, 95% of the firms that participated, and paid $6,000.00 for the priviledge of doing so, are already established in the US.
Write to those companies who thought it is worth the money to be part of "Creative Nation" and ask them why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would it be necessary to have the CPCouple give more exposure to Denmark during this Creativenation programme, 95% of the firms that participated, and paid $6,000.00 for the priviledge of doing so, are already established in the US.

So what was F&M's purpose for the trip again if not for giving more exposure to Denmark?

Creative Nation is a project, set up by Danish Industries, in which 40 of the most successful Danish companies joined.
The cp couple and members of the government are supporting that project.
I really don't see what your problem is.
Or let's say: I can see what your problem is. :ROFLMAO:

Creative Nation is a project set up by the government, in which 40 of the most successful Danish companies joined.
The cp couple is supporting that project.

What government? - joined? - they paid to be there :lol:

Do you know how big America is? Billions live here, we are not a small country and New York is not a small city. Do you know how many companies we have here that very few know about? Lots! I hear about new companies all the time that I didn't even know existed yet they've been around for years. This was not a trip about making a diplomatic relationship. There's a link that explains the purpose of the trip in post #285 by Chimene.

This is not about coming to America and taking America by storm. And you state that there are people that are trained to do these types of jobs already but that's just it. There is no other Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Denmark. Don't you think that the people that were visited by them cared a little more about meeting with the Denmark reps because of Fred and Mary. Wouldn't you yourself prefer meeting His and Her Royal Highnesses joined by other Danish reps than just your average ol' Joe from Denmark.(sorry my Danish friends, I can't think of a good Danish name right now.) See the difference. Because they are there, some extra people took the visit more seriously I'm sure about that.

But answer me this is this only about Fred and Mary or if this had been Charles and Camilla, Felipe and Letizia doing this same trip for their individual countries would you still be calling it a waste of time and saying that it is only about dress-up? Just curious! Charles and Camilla visited America not that long ago and no big diplomatic deals were done(and only a small amount of national attention was paid to them, might I add) nor were there any big diplomatic deals done when Queen Elizabeth visited in May. Royalty works different then our politicians here work. For one they are not politicians at all! I think your expectations are way off for Fred and Mary and this trip to NY. Other royals have come to New York or other parts of America and things have been quite similar as far as attention that it receives by us Americans. But it's really not about the attention! The things I've noticed with royalty is when they visit places they have a very specific purpose and they should not step out of that purpose.

Yeah, I know how big the USA is. I live here. ;)

Trust me, QE II and Charles and Camilla got a lot publicity when they visited the US. And the US rolled out the red carpet at the White House for state dinners. They achieved some diplomatic purpose and promoted British products here. I think Charles promoted an organic farm or market here in southern California too IIRC. That's a cause close to his heart and he brought some awareness to it. As for other royal visits, it depends on what the objective is. I don't know the objective for Maxima's trip to China. I know Felipe and Letizia's trip to China last year was to open a Cervante Institute in Beijing and they were greeted by Chinese president. CI is a standing institution to promote Spanish culture long after F&L have gone home to Spain. It has a long lasting impact. IIRC, they did get coverage by Chinese press. I think I read it somewhere that China declared either 2006 or 2007 as the year of Spanish culture or something like that. That's great publicity. And BTW, China is a huge country too.

Yes, royal visits are usually tied to specific objectives. Some are for diplomatic purpose; some are for cultural purpose; and some are for commerce. For diplomatic mission, you need to meet political leaders or opinion leaders to achieve it. It will be good to get some publicity but not necessary. For the commerce purpose, you need PUBLICITY. Lots of it. The stated pupose for F&M's visit was to promote Danish designs. To achieve success, they needed to generate a lot of publicity for the exhibition they were supposed to promote. I'm not sure they achieved that.

Last edited:
Creative Nation is a project, set up by Danish Industries, in which 40 of the most successful Danish companies joined.
The cp couple and members of the government are supporting that project.

It makes it clearer now after you have changed your post 3 times - and kindly don't use ridicule and sarcasm - thankyou.

I'm really shocked I usually don't check back much once an official visit is over. Does this usually happen? I mean so many negative vibes over this trip now that it's over. Nit picky stuff! I just don't get it, what is the problem? I look at it like this, I love to see the pics of Fred and Mary and to see what they are doing. I don't really care if they are in Denmark or in a foreign country(Japan, China, Canada, India, wherever) I still would have followed them. I love seeing how other countries do things. That they send their royals along for different things. But I'm an American and therefore to actually judge their trip as for it's success and whether or not the purpose was there in the first place, well I don't feel that is my place. I assume since Denmark sent them than Denmark felt their presence was necessary. That's good enough for me!

The reason for this trip was NOT to do PR for Danish fashion and design? It was to make contacts to important business partners..? Oh come on!

Well that seems like a reasonable explanation since Scandanavian royalty have a long history of visiting America to strengthen ties with Scandanavian businesses and the large Scandanavian-American community in the United States. Martha-Louise of Norway made several trips to the United States at the invitation of Norwegian businesses and Scandanavian-American friendship societies even before she started to branch out into her career as a children's book writer. Just last year, Carl Gustaf and Sylvia of Sweden attended a gala event in my office building, the World Financial Center, to celebrate a sailing race that was sponsored by the Swedish auto company, Volvo.

The groups they visit care a lot about the visit and the visits also seem to be successful for the royals also since they keep coming over here. :)

I would have liked to attend the visit to Bodum's showroom, they have an interesting showroom and very cool products.

Oh no, you yourself are not blinded by tiaras - unless of course Letizia is wearing it.

You can search and see whether I have ever posted anything gushing about tiaras or "princess styles", no matter who wears it. I comment on different princess's outfits or appearances. I don't gush over someone just because she wears a tiara or "looks like a real princess".

I am talking in real life economic terms. I don't expect people who are blinded by tiaras or "princess styles" to understand.

If you are talking of real life economic, I am surprised that your earlier statments show such little knowledge of the subject, particularly when it coms to all the different methods of marketing. The using of the media is only one method out of many. Considering that Denmark is the fourth welthiest nation in the world, and this wealth is build upon trade and commerce, we are quit good at marketing in foreign countries. Fred and Mary are in the front of our marketingeffort - but not by means of using the media for attention. It is done by making the right contacte to the right people and that is exactly what has happened in NY.

Yeah, I know how big the USA is. I live here. ;)

Trust me, QE II and Charles and Camilla got a lot publicity when they visited the US. And the US rolled out the red carpet at the White House for state dinners. They achieved some diplomatic purpose and promoted British products here. I think Charles promoted an organic farm or market here in southern California too IIRC. That's a cause close to his heart and he brought some awareness to it. As for other royal visits, it depends on what the objective is. I don't know the objective for Maxima's trip to China. I know Felipe and Letizia's trip to China last year was to open a Cervante Institute in Beijing and they were greeted by Chinese president. CI is a standing institution to promote Spanish culture long after F&L have gone home to Spain. It has a long lasting impact. IIRC, they did get coverage by Chinese press. I think I read it somewhere that China declared either 2006 or 2007 as the year of Spanish culture or something like that. That's great publicity. And BTW, China is a huge country too.

Well, that is just my point! You believe Charles and Camilla got lots of attention and I don't. That's just how big our country is! I think that to know about Charles and Camilla's visit one had to be tuned to CNN or FOX News or perhaps in a city they were visiting. We got no local coverage in our newspaper that I saw. I'm just confused about what you thought was going to happen with this trip of Fred and Mary's? I just think you are only looking at mainstream media coverage and judging their trip by that standard. Realize there are other ways to generate interest and to make connections. BTW, I know China is big too, not sure why you felt it necessary to point that out to me.

Well that seems like a reasonable explanation since Scandanavian royalty have a long history of visiting America to strengthen ties with Scandanavian businesses and the large Scandanavian-American community in the United States. Martha-Louise of Norway made several trips to the United States at the invitation of Norwegian businesses and Scandanavian-American friendship societies even before she started to branch out into her career as a children's book writer. Just last year, Carl Gustaf and Sylvia of Sweden attended a gala event in my office building, the World Financial Center, to celebrate a sailing race that was sponsored by the Swedish auto company, Volvo.

The groups they visit care a lot about the visit and the visits also seem to be successful for the royals also since they keep coming over here. :)

So they were basically here to flatter their hosts. Nothing wrong with that. It's useful to befriend rich business people of your country. But promoting your country in the US needs more than that. Of course royals like coming here. The US is still the largest economy in the world.

To achieve success, they needed to generate a lot of publicity for the exhibition they were supposed to promote. I'm not sure they achieved that.
Well, we all know the Danish royal house isn't as well known in the US as the British, and the British wouldn't be that well known if there hadn't been so many scandals. To generate a lot of publicity in America you have to do something sensational, not just open an exhibition.

It wasn't the couple's task to do something sensational or to take American media by storm, they were there to head a campaign, build up connections and represent Denmark in a positive way. They are the best representatives of Denmark, even though they may not be American media stars. (And if anyone has proved that publicity does not necessarily mean success then it was Diana.)

And I am sure the same people who are now complaining that they didn't generate enough publicity would be the first to criticize them if e.g. they had appeared on American TV or posed for an American fashion magazine to generate more publicity.

Fred and Mary are in the front of our marketingeffort - but not by means of using the media for attention. It is done by making the right contacte to the right people and that is exactly what has happened in NY.

Who were the right people and what contact did F&M make? I only went by what I read here. So if I missed anything, feel free to fill me in.

Who were the right people and what contact did F&M make? I only went by what I read here. So if I missed anything, feel free to fill me in.

Why do you care so much? In my opinion, it's Denmark and the Danish people that need to be happy with the job Fred and Mary do. Or possibly you are Danish, therefore I would understand better your concerns?

Last edited:
So they were basically here to flatter their hosts. Nothing wrong with that. It's useful to befriend rich business people of your country. But promoting your country in the US needs more than that. Of course royals like coming here. The US is still the largest economy in the world.

I don't think Scandanavian royals are trying to promote Scandanavian countries to the general American public - as you say the American public is too large to do that in a business trip that lasts only a few days. But they are working the relationships with corporations and groups that it is profitable to do so. These events cost money for the royals and the businesses they visit so if they weren't helpful to the parties involved, they wouldn't do them.

I would say though that even in America, an gala event with a royal guest has more drawing power than the same event without a royal.

Well, that is just my point! You believe Charles and Camilla got lots of attention and I don't. That's just how big our country is! I think that to know about Charles and Camilla's visit one had to be tuned to CNN or FOX News or perhaps in a city they were visiting. We got no local coverage in our newspaper that I saw. I'm just confused about what you thought was going to happen with this trip of Fred and Mary's? I just think you are only looking at mainstream media coverage and judging their trip by that standard. Realize there are other ways to generate interest and to make connections. BTW, I know China is big too, not sure why you felt it necessary to point that out to me.

C&C got coverage on national TV news and local media coverage. They visited Southern California and they got coverage here. No, they didn't visit Florida but you didn't see them in national media? F&M got zero coverage, national media or local news if judging by what NY posters said. I'm curious about what all these "connections to right people" are as I asked in another post. In publicity department, it's nil.

BTW, I'd call Alexandra's visit to the US several years ago the same: little impact even though she did attend meetings in the UN. And Alexandra is one of my favorites. It's not easy for royals from a small country such as Denmark to make any splash in the US. I think Danish companies are doing very well without any promotion by your royals.

If you are talking of real life economic, I am surprised that your earlier statments show such little knowledge of the subject, particularly when it coms to all the different methods of marketing. The using of the media is only one method out of many. Considering that Denmark is the fourth welthiest nation in the world, and this wealth is build upon trade and commerce, we are quit good at marketing in foreign countries. Fred and Mary are in the front of our marketingeffort - but not by means of using the media for attention. It is done by making the right contacte to the right people and that is exactly what has happened in NY.

Lilla, you are from Denmark, what are your feelings on this trip? How do the people of Denmark feel about this couple and their work?

If you have read all the posts here, you ought to have an overall idea of who the right prople are - it has been written several times. If you don't have an overall idea I surggest that you read all the posts once again.

If you have read all the posts here, you ought to have an overall idea of who the right prople are - it has been written several times. If you don't have an overall idea I surggest that you read all the posts once again.

I didn't see one single American company's name in all the visits they made. They could make connections to Danish company at home, couldn't they? Like I said, if they facilitated a major deal between an American company and a Danish company or knocked open a door for a Danish company or made the attendance of this Creativenation increase, I'd call the visit a major success. So far, I haven't heard of any of the above.

As for opening the NYSE, whom do they try to connect with there? The traders on the floor? Usually, opening the NYSE is more a stunt to generate publicity/media coverage. A lot of celebrities do it. But if there's no media coverage or publicity, the stunt doesn't work.

C&C got coverage on national TV news and local media coverage. They visited Southern California and they got coverage here. No, they didn't visit Florida but you didn't see them in national media? F&M got zero coverage, national media or local news if judging by what NY posters said. I'm curious about what all these "connections to right people" are as I asked in another post. In publicity department, it's nil.

BTW, I'd call Alexandra's visit to the US several years ago the same: little impact even though she did attend meetings in the UN. And Alexandra is one of my favorites. It's not easy for royals from a small country such as Denmark to make any splash in the US. I think Danish companies are doing very well without any promotion by your royals.

Man, oh man, we live in different areas. We are different people and measure things differently. In my opinion, it was not A LOT of coverage. Since you have mentioned Southern California and neglected to mention New Orleans and Philadelphia. Possibly you live in Cali! Yes, I saw them on CNN but had I not been watching CNN I would not have even known they were here. And even CNN gave them limited coverage, there was no extended coverage of them from what I saw. Yes, more than Fred and Mary definitely got but that is always how it is. The American media has always cared greatly about the British RF.

It is a conundrum if companies like Bodum, who have vast success in the States, can benefit from the CPCouples visit, - a visit by CPMary to their showroom would not have an iota of effect on their bottom line at the end of the day IMO. Of course, I'm willing to eat my hat if anyone can prove me wrong!

Lilla, you are from Denmark, what are your feelings on this trip? How do the people of Denmark feel about this couple and their work?

I think Fred and Mary have done exactly what they were surposed to do. They have made connections to the compagnies and people that the danish industrial organisations has singled out. Now it is up to those organisations to continue the work in real life. If the visit had resulted in large media attention from the US media, it would have been quit a surprise for all danesl. We don't expect that only from the danish media (we are charmed by the attention of the australian media).

When it comes to how the people of Denmark feel about this couple, it is importand to know, that the royal house is expremly popular in Denmark: If the Queen wasn't queen - we would elect her as president! Mary and Fred are equally as popular. They are down to earth and they do their job well. Most of all I think it is about culture and history. They make the connection between our past (the Vikings) and present - in a global world.

They have made connections to the compagnies and people that the danish industrial organisations has singled out.

I beg to differ, the companies that joined Creativenation, were not singled out, they joined of their own volition, and paid a fee of $6.000,00 for that priviledge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom