The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess View Post
Who were the right people and what contact did F&M make? I only went by what I read here. So if I missed anything, feel free to fill me in.

Why do you care so much? In my opinion, it's Denmark and the Danish people that need to be happy with the job Fred and Mary do. Or possibly you are Danish, therefore I would understand better your concerns?

Old 09-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
So they were basically here to flatter their hosts. Nothing wrong with that. It's useful to befriend rich business people of your country. But promoting your country in the US needs more than that. Of course royals like coming here. The US is still the largest economy in the world.
I don't think Scandanavian royals are trying to promote Scandanavian countries to the general American public - as you say the American public is too large to do that in a business trip that lasts only a few days. But they are working the relationships with corporations and groups that it is profitable to do so. These events cost money for the royals and the businesses they visit so if they weren't helpful to the parties involved, they wouldn't do them.

I would say though that even in America, an gala event with a royal guest has more drawing power than the same event without a royal.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810 View Post
Well, that is just my point! You believe Charles and Camilla got lots of attention and I don't. That's just how big our country is! I think that to know about Charles and Camilla's visit one had to be tuned to CNN or FOX News or perhaps in a city they were visiting. We got no local coverage in our newspaper that I saw. I'm just confused about what you thought was going to happen with this trip of Fred and Mary's? I just think you are only looking at mainstream media coverage and judging their trip by that standard. Realize there are other ways to generate interest and to make connections. BTW, I know China is big too, not sure why you felt it necessary to point that out to me.
C&C got coverage on national TV news and local media coverage. They visited Southern California and they got coverage here. No, they didn't visit Florida but you didn't see them in national media? F&M got zero coverage, national media or local news if judging by what NY posters said. I'm curious about what all these "connections to right people" are as I asked in another post. In publicity department, it's nil.

BTW, I'd call Alexandra's visit to the US several years ago the same: little impact even though she did attend meetings in the UN. And Alexandra is one of my favorites. It's not easy for royals from a small country such as Denmark to make any splash in the US. I think Danish companies are doing very well without any promotion by your royals.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
If you are talking of real life economic, I am surprised that your earlier statments show such little knowledge of the subject, particularly when it coms to all the different methods of marketing. The using of the media is only one method out of many. Considering that Denmark is the fourth welthiest nation in the world, and this wealth is build upon trade and commerce, we are quit good at marketing in foreign countries. Fred and Mary are in the front of our marketingeffort - but not by means of using the media for attention. It is done by making the right contacte to the right people and that is exactly what has happened in NY.
Lilla, you are from Denmark, what are your feelings on this trip? How do the people of Denmark feel about this couple and their work?
Old 09-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Who were the right people and what contact did F&M make? I only went by what I read here. So if I missed anything, feel free to fill me in.
If you have read all the posts here, you ought to have an overall idea of who the right prople are - it has been written several times. If you don't have an overall idea I surggest that you read all the posts once again.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
If you have read all the posts here, you ought to have an overall idea of who the right prople are - it has been written several times. If you don't have an overall idea I surggest that you read all the posts once again.
I didn't see one single American company's name in all the visits they made. They could make connections to Danish company at home, couldn't they? Like I said, if they facilitated a major deal between an American company and a Danish company or knocked open a door for a Danish company or made the attendance of this Creativenation increase, I'd call the visit a major success. So far, I haven't heard of any of the above.

As for opening the NYSE, whom do they try to connect with there? The traders on the floor? Usually, opening the NYSE is more a stunt to generate publicity/media coverage. A lot of celebrities do it. But if there's no media coverage or publicity, the stunt doesn't work.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
C&C got coverage on national TV news and local media coverage. They visited Southern California and they got coverage here. No, they didn't visit Florida but you didn't see them in national media? F&M got zero coverage, national media or local news if judging by what NY posters said. I'm curious about what all these "connections to right people" are as I asked in another post. In publicity department, it's nil.

BTW, I'd call Alexandra's visit to the US several years ago the same: little impact even though she did attend meetings in the UN. And Alexandra is one of my favorites. It's not easy for royals from a small country such as Denmark to make any splash in the US. I think Danish companies are doing very well without any promotion by your royals.

Man, oh man, we live in different areas. We are different people and measure things differently. In my opinion, it was not A LOT of coverage. Since you have mentioned Southern California and neglected to mention New Orleans and Philadelphia. Possibly you live in Cali! Yes, I saw them on CNN but had I not been watching CNN I would not have even known they were here. And even CNN gave them limited coverage, there was no extended coverage of them from what I saw. Yes, more than Fred and Mary definitely got but that is always how it is. The American media has always cared greatly about the British RF.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Aristocracy

It is a conundrum if companies like Bodum, who have vast success in the States, can benefit from the CPCouples visit, - a visit by CPMary to their showroom would not have an iota of effect on their bottom line at the end of the day IMO. Of course, I'm willing to eat my hat if anyone can prove me wrong!
Old 09-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmily View Post
Lilla, you are from Denmark, what are your feelings on this trip? How do the people of Denmark feel about this couple and their work?
I think Fred and Mary have done exactly what they were surposed to do. They have made connections to the compagnies and people that the danish industrial organisations has singled out. Now it is up to those organisations to continue the work in real life. If the visit had resulted in large media attention from the US media, it would have been quit a surprise for all danesl. We don't expect that only from the danish media (we are charmed by the attention of the australian media).

When it comes to how the people of Denmark feel about this couple, it is importand to know, that the royal house is expremly popular in Denmark: If the Queen wasn't queen - we would elect her as president! Mary and Fred are equally as popular. They are down to earth and they do their job well. Most of all I think it is about culture and history. They make the connection between our past (the Vikings) and present - in a global world.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
They have made connections to the compagnies and people that the danish industrial organisations has singled out.
I beg to differ, the companies that joined Creativenation, were not singled out, they joined of their own volition, and paid a fee of $6.000,00 for that priviledge.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiwaxia View Post
I beg to differ, the companies that joined Creativenation, were not singled out, they joined of their own volition, and paid a fee of $6.000,00 for that priviledge.
They were still singeled out as many more would have liked to joine. But of cause you know a lot bette how thing funktion i Denmark then I do - you living i Tunisia.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
They were still singeled out as many more would have liked to joine. But of cause you know a lot bette how thing funktion i Denmark then I do - you living i Tunisia.
The application forms in pdf. were on the Creativenation website Lilla, anyone could join if the paid the required sum!
Old 09-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Royal Highness

Lilla, thanks for your reply. It's good to hear from someone in Denmark speak about this couple and the other members of the Royal Family.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Majesty

Enough bickering! Let's try behaving like adults and treating each other with civility for a change. As members of this community, you are expected to comply with the TRF Rules. In this case see this particular rule:

Quote:
Insulting comments about other posters and royals are not permitted. Criticism is acceptable; insults and flames are not. We expect our members to treat each other with respect.
Mandy
Danish Forum Moderator
Old 09-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Serene Highness

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
ANP has more photos of the conference in " Tavern on the Green" in Central Park on 21-09-2007

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank

I like the simplicity of the dress. I think it's a dress at least? And I really love the necklace she wore, simple yet elegant. However, I don't think the pics are accurately picking up on some detail that the dress might have in the skirt portion.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Aristocracy

WOW.........what a wonderful trip Frederik and Mary had! I just love Mary's clothes on this trip. Mary looked absolutely beautiful, elegant and sophisticated and Frederik looked dashing. They are a beautiful couple and are truely in love!

Indeed, Frederik and Mary have beautifully done their job on this trip and are perfect ambassadors for Denmark!

Danish Royal Watchers website has the full coverage of Frederik and Mary at the Official Visit to New York below:

Danish Royal Watchers
Old 09-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Gentry

Hi sniemann your pics are nice
thank you
Old 09-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

First of all, thank you for the pics of this trip! They are precious.

The royal couple seemed quite serious about promoting Danish business, design and fashion (I have to say that I have loved her entire wardrobe during all this trip).
Old 09-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Hsu View Post

Indeed, Frederik and Mary have beautifully done their job on this trip and are perfect ambassadors for Denmark!
I was just wondering, how were they perfect ambassadors? Why did they go there? What did they talk about in the interviews etc? Being impeccibaly dressed and looking sympathetic doesn´t say much about how the mission went IMHO, that would mean that for example Queen Beatrix or Queen Margrethe would never have paid 1 succesfull state visit during their respective reigns. Did the people that went with the couple say anything about it to the press? Did the people they met talk to the press about the perfection of their visit? Or is it just based on clothes and smiles (no offence meant, just curiosity)?

As others said before, it is difficult to measure the succes of such a visit. It was not about taking the USA by storm, but about getting informed, bringing Danish businesses and people in contact with those in NYC etc. Very much like the Economic missions of the Dukes of Brabant or the official visits of for example Victoria or Haakon and Mette-Marit. Most of the times if a visit had results or not is not something that we will know. For example many thought that the economical missions of the DUke of Brabant and his wife were a succes untill some businessmen started complaining about the way the visit was ortganised last year. Luckily they changed their approach during the visits and the businessmen and the Belgian press became more positive about the missions again. My point here is that it took 7 years before some came out and said that the visits weren´t going all that well. Mathilde had nice dresses, Phillipe was speeching, they looked very much in love but the general effect wasnt what they hoped for. It COULD be the case with this visit also, so unless the businessmen/serious press speaks out about the boost for Danish industry these visits mean, we simply can not tell if they are doing a ´perfect´ job or not.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Courtier

Well, we have one very positive first hand report here on the board.
There also was an article about a designer moved to tears of joy by Mary (and I guess it was what she said and not what she wore :)).
Representatives of DI said they consider the mission a great success and will do an evaluation now.
And Mary and Frederik said in the interview that they got very positive reactions.

The visit is over since 1 day, you don't see the success of an economic mission after one day.
What we can judge now are looks and behaviour.

Regarding queens and state visits I think you are mixing apples and oranges here. A queen is not an ambassador, she is head of state.

Edit: Just saw you edited your post and totally agree with your addition. As Mary said in the interview this is a starting point, much more work has to be done. And as you said the success of it will probably be seen (or not be seen) after some years.

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, new york, official visit