The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-22-2007, 02:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilla View Post
Photo galleries from a press conference (in very Jackie Kennedy/Audrey Hepburn little black-dress)

In Central Park

In Central Park

Friday, Sept., 21, 2007
CP Mary reminded me of Audrey Hepburn in 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' in this outfit. Only the hat was missing.

Stylewise, I guess I'd give her a 'B' for this trip. She looks good in black and whites. While I like the top of the gala outfit, I think the bugle bead fringe on the skirt would've looked better if it were smaller/thinner/narrower. And she went a little heavier on the jewelry (unusaul for her)than was needed. The only miss in my opinion would have been the dress/top-and-skirt combo that resemble a European folk costume. We don't see a lot of that here.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:40 AM
Aristocracy

ANP has more photos of the conference in " Tavern on the Green" in Central Park on 21-09-2007

http://i62.tinypic.com/mt3u3b.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/al65w7.jpg

Old 09-22-2007, 03:22 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Simple, yet elegant - top work from Mary for the last day! Thanks for the pics
Old 09-22-2007, 03:54 AM
Royal Highness

I like the last dress she wore, very elegant.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess View Post
Actually, that dress was made famous by Oprah who doesn't have a slim figure and I thought Oprah looked better than Mary did in that dress. The high neckline doesn't really suit Mary with her long chin. And the two satin crosses at front accentrate Oprah's curves, something Mary doesn't have.
You are so right - Mary did look annoyingly good in that dress - just as she looked annoyingly good during this entire trip. Almost makes one really irritated, doesn't it?
Old 09-22-2007, 06:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810 View Post
America doesn't really care about any royalty except for the British and at times Monaco's RF. Likely they don't care much because royalty is not our thing here. News of royals visiting is never really big. However, that does not mean this is not important. Because it's not about getting on TV it's about making connections with the right people/companies. Fred and Mary came to America to do a specific job and they did that. There job was not to parade in front of the American media. That job is currently fulfilled by annoying celebs like Britney Spears. Oh and OJ Simpson attracted a lot of attention this week too.
You are quit right. Acording to "The danish ministry of trade and culture" and the "Danis industrial organisation", who has payed for the trip, this visit is about making connections with the right people/companies and not about attracting public attention. In that perspectiv Fred and Mary has fullfiled their task with exellence.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Serene Highness

In absolute agreement. I just live four hours away from NYC and haven't seen anything about them on the news. But that is not what they are here for. Mary looks very elegant and chic in Central Park!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Courtier

Video Links:

Tv2
TV 2 Nyhederne - DI: New York-tur en stor succes

They look So great that last day. Love what they said about how they talked to Christian over the phone ! And when Frederik said Mary and him were collegues, husband and wife, lovers ! And how wonderfull Mary had some peace and wuiet so walk around in Soho and Central Park with Isabella in the mornings. This has been an amazing week for them, really, they've done a hell of a job, Mary's been looking flawless and Frederik has been really busy and just seemed really interested, they've been great, it's only a shame they didn't get to experience more of New York, didn't they say something about Broadway ? Anyhow, Mary looked very Audrey Herpburn, a look that looked great on her.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soriagirl View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, but did they really hold this press conference at Tavern on the Green, perhaps the most tacky place in all of Manhattan? I would have expected something more sophisticated since they are supposed to be promoting great Danish design sense. Yuck. Tavern on the Green -- the most famous tacky eatery in New York! Well, maybe a few of the famous delis are worse.

Whatever--thanks for the posts. I live in Manhattan, and if not for the posts I would have had no knowledge of their trip to New York. Unfortunately it did not interest the local press much.
Thank you for sharing reality with us soriagirl. No one except for people on this board and Danish TV-stations recognized this trip. How important is this for Danish fashion and design industry? Not at all , I guess. Danish fashion and design is well known wordlwide. I don't think that this trip will increase any sales...
Old 09-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santacruz View Post
How important is this for Danish fashion and design industry? Not at all , I guess. Danish fashion and design is well known wordlwide. I don't think that this trip will increase any sales...
The Ministry already sent you a servey? Can you share it with us, please?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Aristocracy

The reason for this trip was NOT to do PR for Danish fashion and design? It was to make contacts to important business partners..? Oh come on!
Do you really think that the Crown Prince couple is there to build up contacts to the fashion and design industry in the US? I guess that there are capable people from these industries who know their jobs very well who do this.

This whole fascination, I really tried hard to share with you, comes from pure fantasy. If these were people you don't know you probably would not turn your head if you meet them on the street.

Probably nice people, good looking. That's it. Everything else is nice make-up and good PR.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Serene Highness

on one hand more exposure is good for denmark, on the other we get to keep them as "our secret" and they are not hunted and surrounded by press all the time. i'm glad they can find anonimity and get away from the "pack" i'd hate to see them in the crushing spotlight 24/7 of flashbulbs and rude tabloids on their back all the time.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The reason for this trip was NOT to do PR for Danish fashion and design? It was to make contacts to important business partners..? Oh come on!
Do you really think that the Crown Prince couple is there to build up contacts to the fashion and design industry in the US? I guess that there are capable people from these industries who know their jobs very well who do this.

This whole fascination, I really tried hard to share with you, comes from pure fantasy. If these were people you don't know you probably would not turn your head if you meet them on the street.

Probably nice people, good looking. That's it. Everything else is nice make-up and good PR.
Well Santacruz, you really don't want to recognise the fundamental reason for this trip to the NY. As the ols saying goes: Against s.. ..... even the goods are fighting in vain!
Old 09-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Don't botter trying, it's really not worth your time...

FYI: Here is the purpose of their trip from Creative Nation. But again, I'm sure you know better than the organiztions involved in the events, what the significance of their presence was.

http://www.di.dk/English/Press/Creative+Nation/ihkl.htm
Old 09-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Royal Highness

Does anyone know which airport they flew in/out of?
Old 09-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Santacruz, you take all of this too seriously! You are right that there are very capable people in the Danish fashion industry who could manage just fine without an appearance by the CP couple. But I also would think they welcomed the two of them and any publicity they bring. They certainly seemed to be well received at the events they attended. Why so much hostility?
Old 09-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
Does anyone know which airport they flew in/out of?
Probably Kennedy.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Royal Highness

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
You are so right - Mary did look annoyingly good in that dress - just as she looked annoyingly good during this entire trip. Almost makes one really irritated, doesn't it?
UserDane, by jove, I think you got it!
Old 09-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora810 View Post
America doesn't really care about any royalty except for the British and at times Monaco's RF. Likely they don't care much because royalty is not our thing here. News of royals visiting is never really big. However, that does not mean this is not important. Because it's not about getting on TV it's about making connections with the right people/companies. Fred and Mary came to America to do a specific job and they did that. There job was not to parade in front of the American media.
Well, their mission was to promote Denmark and Danish designs, wasn't it? How did they achieve that when they didn't get any publicity? We can complain about American media till the cow comes home, but they control publicity and public awareness. If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it count? How many Americans who were not familiar with Danish designs before become aware of them now because of F&M's visit?

It seems most people they met on this trip are Danes in the US or Danish Americans in front of Danish press. That's like preaching to the choir. Danes in the US or Danish American already have an affinity toward Denmark. They don't need F&M here to make the "connections". How many Americans did they connect with? It's clear they didn't meet any American political leaders so no diplomatic relationship was built. How many American companies did they connect with on behalf of Danish companies? If there is an announcement of a major business deal between a major American company and a Danish company after this visit, I'll be impressed and call the visit a success.

As of now, playing dressed up in a few functions doesn't make a trip a success. There is no lasting impact besides a few snap shots. This trip doesn't differ that much from most F&M's overseas visits: frivilous with little impact.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess View Post
Well, their mission was to promote Denmark and Danish designs, wasn't it? How did they achieve that when they didn't get any publicity?
I think you can do promotion without just one mean. We don't know what kind of outreach that was done, nor do we know who was invited to the conference and other envents. Or do we? If they were all over the media, she would be an attention seeking something or other. Just admit it, there is the rule and there's the Mary rule. And we make that up as we go along, don't we?

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, new york, official visit