Prince Frederik and Princess Mary's Official Visit to Iceland: May 5-8, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see where you are coming from, Norwegianne, but in this case, no. Why? After reading various reports and a wrap-up of sorts on DRWs, this trip seemed, to me, very standard and basic.

Let's face it: Most traditional friendly (hence never any strains) "Official Visits" do not entail deep discourse of nuclear physics, whether or not Stephen Hawking's blackhole paradox theory is really true, the declining status of Polar Bears in Arctic Circle, or finding ways to end the crisis in Nepal, Tibet, and Darfur. This visit was clearly a goodwill "let's keep the traditional friendly relations alive between us, Denmark and Iceland, despite the fact we've never had a problem in the first place, and thank the higher power your Prime Minister is nothing like Hugo Chavez so everything is peachy" trip.

True, there may be a lack of substantive articles from time to time, and more photos, but remember who the audience is. Half the time when someone does post an article, with a short summary, it's quickly looked over. Furthermore, reading the various reports from Billed Bladet specifically this latest trip there wasn't much substance to begin with. But a lot of nice photographs to tell the story.:D

:flowers:

Last edited:
Norwegianne
Because the programme does seem to be rather standard official visit material - culture, industry, history, but with all the pictures and discussion of what they're wearing instead of what they're doing… it may make it appear less work and more play - and I wondered if the lack of information coming across about events were one of the reasons for this
I think you may be right here.
The Danish court does not give much information about the events the royals are attending. They just give the date, the place and that's it.
In contrast the British, the Spanish, the Dutch and even the Norwegian and Belgian royal websites give much more information about each event and it's context, it's purpose, some even add pictures. They use this medium to promote their work.

Most members of this board don't do research on theirselves, they form their opinion on the informations they get here. And if you don't get much information about the purpose of the visit but a lot of pictures of a couple obviously having fun instead, you can easily get the impression that this is just a holiday or a serie of photo-ops.

As you said, this visit was very much standard. The schedule didn't much differ from the schedule of e.g. the Swedish state visit to DK last year which was of course more glamorous and more important as it was a state visit but in the end also a serie of photo-ops in a school, in a museum, in a metro and so on. But I didn't see anyone complaining about Victoria not raising awareness for social issues in DK back then. :)

Glittering Tiaras
Let's face it: Most traditional friendly (hence never any strains) "Official Visits" do not entail deep discourse of nuclear physics, whether or not Stephen Hawking's blackhole paradox theory is really true, the declining status of Polar Bears in Arctic Circle, or finding ways to end the crisis in Nepal, Tibet, and Darfur. This visit was clearly a goodwill "let's keep the traditional friendly relations alive between us, Denmark and Iceland, despite the fact we've never had a problem in the first place, and thank the higher power your Prime Minister is nothing like Hugo Chavez so everything is peachy" trip.
I agree. That's what most official visits are. But somehow it only seems to be called a "holiday with photo-ops" whenever the CP Couple of DK is involved.:)

Last edited:
But I didn't see anyone complaining about Victoria not raising awareness for social issues in DK back then. :)
LOL - precisely;) I don't quite get the complaints about the Icelandic visit I must admit.

LOL - precisely;) I don't quite get the complaints about the Icelandic visit I must admit.

Nor do I - but of course what is needed is: The Icelandic econemy should end up in a huge regression, in that way the icelandic people could become very poor and then - hopefully - this perle of the atlantic could be among the poorest nations in the world. AND THEN the CP Couple could go on a visit to Iceland where humanitarian aid would be in focus.:rolleyes:

Buttom-line is:The only thing wrong about this visit is that Iceland isn't a poor poverty-stroken african nation:ohmy:.

Buttom-line is:The only thing wrong about this visit is that Iceland isn't a poor poverty-stroken african nation:ohmy:.
My, my, my! Aren't we cynical! Very astute, absolutely correct, succinct . . . but cynical. :ROFLMAO: Well said Lilla!

What a joyless life some people would relegate the CP couple to have. Every occassion a "worthy" occassion. Boring, but worthy. But oh? what's that? There are no photo's of interest in the media? But it is not pressworthy, therefore no journalists bothered to go along.

Royalty work really hard to get the mix right so that which is worthwhile is inextricably intertwined with other "photo op" occassions. That way they can get a little publicity for a good cause. It's a trade-off of sorts. :cool:

Does anyone know where the crown princess gets those floppy hats she wears or who the designer is? I love them!

I think that it is the first lady of iceland

It is the First Lady of Iceland and she's a hoot!:lol: She's a great host... love her!

Well the words "stuffy" and "pomp" wouldn't go in the same sentance would they?!
She's a breath of fresh air...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom