Prince Frederik and Princess Mary's Official Visit to Iceland: May 5-8, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or what do you mean by impressive? I think they made their job very well, it was a "light" with some cultural travel something that young people like so I think it was the ideal programme for a young royal couple to enjoy and to work at the same time. It has publicity and all the photographers get the change to take many photos and that is really nice bothe for the country itself (Iceland) and for the pupolarity of the royal couple. Very well indeed!

well, I think what Aurora means is when you look at their programme part of it seems to be what an average tourist would do in Iceland. Several visits to museums, several strolls.

I suppose to visit some industry or something else with an economic function wouldn' t hurt, or maybe even meet the Danish community living there (provided there is a Danish community).

industry or something else with an economic function
On day one Mary visited a design centre, while design is not a major export, it is beginning to increase.
On day two the Cp Couple Visited a geothermal powerplant. Geothermal power is used to heat 87% of homes in Iceland
On day three the CP Couple were aboard a fishing boat - seeing what they do etc. Iceland economy is highly dependent on the fishing industry, it makes up 70% of its export income.
On day four the CP Couple Visited the genom research institute Decode Genetics. Decode Genetics is a worldwide leader in the field of biotechnology.
And they also visited Iceland's spectacular 'tourist attractions', which is now one of the fastest growing sectors in the Icelandic economy.

maybe even meet the Danish community living there
I may be wrong but I don't think that there is a Danish community but they did have a reception onboard the Vædderen in the harbour of the capital Reykjavik. Vædderen is a Danish ship that patrols the waters of Greenland and the Faroe Islands. The also visited the Danish embassy.

They also visited two school, the Icelandic University, attended a mini-conference about vulcanoes and glaciers. Iceland has a population of only 312,872 people - I think that they pretty much covered everything.

ETA:Here is a video clip TV 2 Kongelig - Bøsse-spørgsmål til Frederik på Island of this moment News Summary Royalblog.nl: Prince Frederik: never had gay fantasies :lol:

Last edited:
Thank you very much Amelia.
Hm and don't forget: :whistling:

Day one:

During there visit of the school in Hafnarfjörður the couple was informed about the school's Danish teaching among other things.

Visit to Saga Exhibition in the Culture House. The islandic sagas aren't just the sagas of Island, they are the sagas of Scandinavia.

Day two:

Walk to the recently repaired Royal Stones barely 100 meters from Geyser. The Danish-Icelandic chamber of commerce explains the restoration of the Royal Stones

Visit to the old church with an altar table painted and given by Christian IX's Queen Louise in 1891.

Participation in the Open mini-conference about Volcanos, Climate and Glaciers. (Basaltic vulcanism in the north Atlantic: Iceland, Greenland and the Faroe Islands; Climate research in Greenland and the Vikings' adaptation to the cold; and more)

Day three:

Visit in Grunnskóli Stykkishólms, the local primary school and getting informations about ”Danish days”, which are held every summer among other things

Visit to the local museum and getting infomations about danish influence on Icelandic architecture

Oh well.... :angel:

Last edited:
I'm not saying that any official visit is necessarily exciting or that the Danes did something wrong because the program lacked some real purpose. It's just that this visit was not all that interesting to me. I understand some people totally love these types of photo op visits. But for me that is not my thing! I guess I have seen so many of these types of visits by all these royals that it's just not as exciting to me as it once was. Yes, there are still some visits that I do find exciting but for some reason this visit was not exciting or impressive to me. Simple as that! It's just a preference thing! To me this thread should be called the "Crown Prince Couple's Icelandic Holiday". Just way too many photo ops at touristy things. These pictures are like I'm looking in on their private and privileged holiday time.

Last edited:

How on Earth did I miss this?!!:lol: That was the funniest clip I have seen this week. Poor Frederik... he handled it well, but you can tell he was squirming in his pants because he knew exactly what the kid meant, but he tried to play it off. Then the poor kid was reamed by the awesome First Lady of Iceland who just wouldn't let it go. SHe kept digging and digging and digging and digging!:lol: Either the kid knew exactly what he was doing, or he was completely clueless. :lol:

How on Earth did I miss this?!!:lol: That was the funniest clip I have seen this week. Poor Frederik... he handled it well, but you can tell he was squirming in his pants because he knew exactly what the kid meant, but he tried to play it off. Then the poor kid was reamed by the awesome First Lady of Iceland who just wouldn't let it go. SHe kept digging and digging and digging and digging!:lol: Either the kid knew exactly what he was doing, or he was completely clueless. :lol:
I couldn't agree with you more. I laughed and laughed watching this over and over!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Either the kid knew exactly what he was doing, or he was completely clueless. :lol:
Oh I have no doubt that he knew exactly what he was saying :ROFLMAO:. I think Frederik handled it wonderfully, I loved the end when he was trying to get the First Lady to leave and she just wouldn't let it go :lol:

Last edited:
Priceless! :D
I also love Mary’s initial reaction – just shaking her head ever so slightly with a more than slightly determined look on her face. This woman really knows how to get her Royal act together…
…that’s more than can be said about the First Lady getting her Presidential wife act together… maybe someone could be so kind to tell her that her appearances on the Royal scene sometimes border on the vulgar. Trying to outshine everybody else at every Royal gathering with extra bling, ruffles and attitude is just not done.
I grow to like Mary more and more. She represents just about everything a Crown Princess should be. :flowers:

Last edited:
The crown princely seem so happy together on the trip. It is a strange question that the kid asked the crown prince

The kid was definitely egged on to do it... I mean look at his classmate's [URL="http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/kategt2/Crown%20Prince%20Frederik%20and%20Crown%20Princess%20Mary/36197_090601_2_122_136lo.jpg"]face.[/URL] :lol: Typical tween behavior... nobody should really be that shocked by it in the end. After the second or third time, the kid finally says it in English but is slightly cut off by the intrepreter who tried to say "Ahhh okay... thank you..." but the kid is able to speak louder than the other guy!

Last edited:
(shortened by me)

Guess it shows that teenaged boys are teenaged boys no matter where you go! I know a few who would've asked that exact question, had they been there!

Did the school do anything about it?

I'm sure his teacher as well as school principal were not too thrilled with his question:lol:.

One thing is for sure: Frederik will never forget this kid and his unusual Do you have gay fantasies? question for the rest of his life!:D:lol: I'm sure he'll laugh about the situation years from when he thinks about it. Furthermore, after this successful trip to Iceland and all the wonderful things the Crown Prince couple got to see, the only thing a majority of people will remember about this trip: that kid and his question. Everything has been thrown out the window as if it never happened.

Last edited:
the kid knew exactly what he was doing he did handle the question well

the kid knew exactly what he was doing he did handle the question well

I'm quite sure that he did. Also, I think that the same accolade extends to CP
Fredrik and his wife, as well.

In Australia, the press reports that both of them continued giggling about it for some time.

I think Dorrit showed poor form in making every attempt to keep the situation stirring.

I think Dorrit showed poor form in making every attempt to keep the situation stirring.
I think that she was just really surprised by the question, if you look at the clip she seems like she just can't believe the young boy asked it. I don't think she meant any harm, she just wanted to know why he would ask such a question.

I love Mary's casual dress style consisting mainly of jeans, boots and polonecks.

...Btw, has anyone told the Icelanders it's two weeks until summer ?

Let's move away from the whole US thing and focus on the main issue at hand: Official Visit to Iceland.

Thank you.:)

In my opinion, this was a successful visit. Not every official visit has to be all about raising awareness. I actually think that awareness was raised, in the promotion of both countries in a relaxed informal manner. It was enjoyable to see the daily activities and who will ever forget the " gay fantasies" question!! I thought it was a very busy, interesting schedule and obviously both couples enjoyed themselves. If we benefitted from some great photo ops isn't that ok??

In my opinion, this was a successful visit. Not every official visit has to be all about raising awareness.
Absolutely. If it comes down to it, there is really no measurable return for 90% of Royal appearances. However, the people, in which I include myself, want to see their RF, not for any "worthy" reason, just because there is a link.

In the case of the CP Couple Official Visist to Iceland there is a very strong historical and cultural link.

In times of recession especially, people like to see "their" representative, be it royal or elected, and they expect them to have their game faces on and look happy.

Let's be honest, 99% of US President's "Official" visits have no other value than strengthening ties. The diplomats and such do any meaningful debating and the RF or Presidential presence is there for the photo call.

What strikes me a bit is that it's called an "Official Visit" but from what we see it could well be a personal holiday including photographer. I really like what I see but I am missing abit the working part or purpose.

Here is a general question, and it's really not meant as any slight/critisism in any way towards anybody, it's just something I've been thinking about for a long time with royals where the language where news is posted is a minor one. It's not just these royals, but your statement about their visit continued the thought process.

Is it possible that it be that it appears to be a "photoshoot holiday" - to some of us - because of the abundance of pictures posted here, and the bare minimum of articles about the trip (especially in English) in comparison?

When we can read something (be it a summary of an Icelandic or Danish article in English for those who can't read either language, or the articles for those who can) about what they were doing, outside of the bare points of the schedule, and the responses people had to them - does that make it appear less of a "photoshoot holiday" and more like they were working?

Because the programme does seem to be rather standard official visit material - culture, industry, history, but with all the pictures and discussion of what they're wearing instead of what they're doing… it may make it appear less work and more play - and I wondered if the lack of information coming across about events were one of the reasons for this :ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom