The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-12-2008, 02:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgirl567 View Post
the kid knew exactly what he was doing he did handle the question well
I'm quite sure that he did. Also, I think that the same accolade extends to CP
Fredrik and his wife, as well.

In Australia, the press reports that both of them continued giggling about it for some time.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:19 AM
Heir Apparent

I think Dorrit showed poor form in making every attempt to keep the situation stirring.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 05-12-2008, 03:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

From the Sydney Morning Herald: How Mary and Fred handled the gay question
Old 05-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I think Dorrit showed poor form in making every attempt to keep the situation stirring.
I think that she was just really surprised by the question, if you look at the clip she seems like she just can't believe the young boy asked it. I don't think she meant any harm, she just wanted to know why he would ask such a question.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Commoner

I love Mary's casual dress style consisting mainly of jeans, boots and polonecks.

...Btw, has anyone told the Icelanders it's two weeks until summer ?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Courtier

I'm not sure what a United Europe has to do with the CP visit to Iceland so in the spirit of getting back on topic DRW has a wonderful wrap-up of the couples' visit Danish Royal Watchers: Frederik & Mary in Iceland
Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Let's move away from the whole US thing and focus on the main issue at hand: Official Visit to Iceland.

Thank you.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Courtier

In my opinion, this was a successful visit. Not every official visit has to be all about raising awareness. I actually think that awareness was raised, in the promotion of both countries in a relaxed informal manner. It was enjoyable to see the daily activities and who will ever forget the " gay fantasies" question!! I thought it was a very busy, interesting schedule and obviously both couples enjoyed themselves. If we benefitted from some great photo ops isn't that ok??
Old 05-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjane View Post
In my opinion, this was a successful visit. Not every official visit has to be all about raising awareness.
Absolutely. If it comes down to it, there is really no measurable return for 90% of Royal appearances. However, the people, in which I include myself, want to see their RF, not for any "worthy" reason, just because there is a link.

In the case of the CP Couple Official Visist to Iceland there is a very strong historical and cultural link.

In times of recession especially, people like to see "their" representative, be it royal or elected, and they expect them to have their game faces on and look happy.

Let's be honest, 99% of US President's "Official" visits have no other value than strengthening ties. The diplomats and such do any meaningful debating and the RF or Presidential presence is there for the photo call.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
What strikes me a bit is that it's called an "Official Visit" but from what we see it could well be a personal holiday including photographer. I really like what I see but I am missing abit the working part or purpose.
Here is a general question, and it's really not meant as any slight/critisism in any way towards anybody, it's just something I've been thinking about for a long time with royals where the language where news is posted is a minor one. It's not just these royals, but your statement about their visit continued the thought process.

Is it possible that it be that it appears to be a "photoshoot holiday" - to some of us - because of the abundance of pictures posted here, and the bare minimum of articles about the trip (especially in English) in comparison?

When we can read something (be it a summary of an Icelandic or Danish article in English for those who can't read either language, or the articles for those who can) about what they were doing, outside of the bare points of the schedule, and the responses people had to them - does that make it appear less of a "photoshoot holiday" and more like they were working?

Because the programme does seem to be rather standard official visit material - culture, industry, history, but with all the pictures and discussion of what they're wearing instead of what they're doing… it may make it appear less work and more play - and I wondered if the lack of information coming across about events were one of the reasons for this
Old 05-13-2008, 03:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I see where you are coming from, Norwegianne, but in this case, no. Why? After reading various reports and a wrap-up of sorts on DRWs, this trip seemed, to me, very standard and basic.

Let's face it: Most traditional friendly (hence never any strains) "Official Visits" do not entail deep discourse of nuclear physics, whether or not Stephen Hawking's blackhole paradox theory is really true, the declining status of Polar Bears in Arctic Circle, or finding ways to end the crisis in Nepal, Tibet, and Darfur. This visit was clearly a goodwill "let's keep the traditional friendly relations alive between us, Denmark and Iceland, despite the fact we've never had a problem in the first place, and thank the higher power your Prime Minister is nothing like Hugo Chavez so everything is peachy" trip.

True, there may be a lack of substantive articles from time to time, and more photos, but remember who the audience is. Half the time when someone does post an article, with a short summary, it's quickly looked over. Furthermore, reading the various reports from Billed Bladet specifically this latest trip there wasn't much substance to begin with. But a lot of nice photographs to tell the story.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Norwegianne
Because the programme does seem to be rather standard official visit material - culture, industry, history, but with all the pictures and discussion of what they're wearing instead of what they're doing… it may make it appear less work and more play - and I wondered if the lack of information coming across about events were one of the reasons for this
I think you may be right here.
The Danish court does not give much information about the events the royals are attending. They just give the date, the place and that's it.
In contrast the British, the Spanish, the Dutch and even the Norwegian and Belgian royal websites give much more information about each event and it's context, it's purpose, some even add pictures. They use this medium to promote their work.

Most members of this board don't do research on theirselves, they form their opinion on the informations they get here. And if you don't get much information about the purpose of the visit but a lot of pictures of a couple obviously having fun instead, you can easily get the impression that this is just a holiday or a serie of photo-ops.

As you said, this visit was very much standard. The schedule didn't much differ from the schedule of e.g. the Swedish state visit to DK last year which was of course more glamorous and more important as it was a state visit but in the end also a serie of photo-ops in a school, in a museum, in a metro and so on. But I didn't see anyone complaining about Victoria not raising awareness for social issues in DK back then.

Quote:
Glittering Tiaras
Let's face it: Most traditional friendly (hence never any strains) "Official Visits" do not entail deep discourse of nuclear physics, whether or not Stephen Hawking's blackhole paradox theory is really true, the declining status of Polar Bears in Arctic Circle, or finding ways to end the crisis in Nepal, Tibet, and Darfur. This visit was clearly a goodwill "let's keep the traditional friendly relations alive between us, Denmark and Iceland, despite the fact we've never had a problem in the first place, and thank the higher power your Prime Minister is nothing like Hugo Chavez so everything is peachy" trip.
I agree. That's what most official visits are. But somehow it only seems to be called a "holiday with photo-ops" whenever the CP Couple of DK is involved.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
But I didn't see anyone complaining about Victoria not raising awareness for social issues in DK back then.
LOL - precisely I don't quite get the complaints about the Icelandic visit I must admit.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
LOL - precisely I don't quite get the complaints about the Icelandic visit I must admit.
Nor do I - but of course what is needed is: The Icelandic econemy should end up in a huge regression, in that way the icelandic people could become very poor and then - hopefully - this perle of the atlantic could be among the poorest nations in the world. AND THEN the CP Couple could go on a visit to Iceland where humanitarian aid would be in focus.

Buttom-line is:The only thing wrong about this visit is that Iceland isn't a poor poverty-stroken african nation.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Majesty

Here is Haakon & Mette-Marit's Visit to Iceland June 2004.

Another - Sweden's State Visit to Iceland September 2004.

Although they basically visited the same places, there are far less photos, but that may have depended on the number of photographers accompanying them.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
Buttom-line is:The only thing wrong about this visit is that Iceland isn't a poor poverty-stroken african nation.
My, my, my! Aren't we cynical! Very astute, absolutely correct, succinct . . . but cynical. Well said Lilla!

What a joyless life some people would relegate the CP couple to have. Every occassion a "worthy" occassion. Boring, but worthy. But oh? what's that? There are no photo's of interest in the media? But it is not pressworthy, therefore no journalists bothered to go along.

Royalty work really hard to get the mix right so that which is worthwhile is inextricably intertwined with other "photo op" occassions. That way they can get a little publicity for a good cause. It's a trade-off of sorts.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Serene Highness

Does anyone know where the crown princess gets those floppy hats she wears or who the designer is? I love them!

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 10-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I found this video on YouTube and I wondered if someone could tell me who the lady with the white beret and the green t-shirt is??
She seems on very friendly terms with Prince Frederik at the end??
xx
Old 10-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think that it is the first lady of iceland
Old 10-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

It is the First Lady of Iceland and she's a hoot! She's a great host... love her!

Tags
crown prince frederik, crown princess mary, iceland, official visit