Prince Frederik and Princess Mary's Official Visit to Australia: November 19-26, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
Yeah, Gerry. I guess it's similar with adults and bicyle helmets. The children wear them but we adults... Well, we prefer a skull fracture above ruining our hairstyle
We adults, in this part of the US, do all wear bike helmets and ski helmets. I have noticed that's not the case in other parts of the country.
I do have two friends who owe their lives/skulls, to their helmets:ohmy:

:previous:
That makes you more sensible than here, where at best half of all adults riding bikes use helmets. - Or lights, or reflexes, or use the inside of their heads. :whistling:
As for sunscreen. Adults and adults with children here are very much aware of the sun, but teens.... They believe they are immortal and can't get cancer.

Here is tonights segment about Mary on TV2 news at 19.00 Kronprinsesse Mary i miljrigtig skole - TV 2 Nyhederne
About a school where a new fuel-economic building has been opened and where the children have been taught about saving electricity. This building means that the energy consumption has been reduced by 90 %. All very good, but as the reporter points out, going through a newly build neighborhood, all the houses are hopelessly inefficient in regards to saving energy, at least according to Danish standards.
Garbage disposal: inefficient and so on.
An Australian emits twice as much CO2 as a Dane on average.
The journalist by the way is a news reporter, not a morning show dilletante.

Seriously, we have learned a lot from you Aussies but this is an area where we really can teach you something!
Example: We had our thermoglass windows from the 80's replaced a few years back. We saved almost 5.000 DKK (1.000 $) on the heating bill the first year alone. We expect to have our roof replaced next year and then we are talking serious savings on the heating bill! - Makes the house worth more and easier to sell too.
All our lightbulbs have long since been replaced by energy-saving bulbs and that has saved us a lot on the electricity bill, not least with two children around!

Last edited:
Jess, thanks so much for your account and pictures. So glad you got to see Frederik and Mary in person.

@ Post 183.

Another fabulous read and a few good laughs!

In the shape of two old, somewhat worn out, seagulls named Kaj & Bøje = Quay and Buoy, who used to do commercials for ferries. But with all the bridge building that has gone on here in DK, they are unemployed.
In this clip they are subjected to a Preussian fittness-gull/drill-gull named Helmuth who among other things call them closet-budgies.

Quite hilarious!

Last edited:
Wonderful Jess. Glad you got to see M & F and the photos were great.

I have been absent as both my husband and I have had a virus. Thank you Muhler for your contributions.

Madame Royale, did you enjoy the Docklands evening?

The Sun Safe message is so important. The younger generations here have grown up knowing nothing else but hats and safe times of day to play outside. However, the older generations continue to suffer the effects of sun exposure from their childhoods and teen years.

1 more day to go. What a wonderful tour it has been.

No photos yest of the dinner/reception at Government House, Melbourne? I am so impatient ;)

An interesting gold necklace with what looks like diamonds on the circles and a matching bracelet.

Mary looks lovely in the red dress but useless to have worn a necklace IMO.

She has been looking really good on this trip even though it has been busy and flying to different cities. She still seems to not look jet lack or worn out from it all. It must be nice to be home and knowing your going to spend time with family and friends.

Thank you iceflower...you never fail to deliver...I know I can count on you (all) to find the pics I NEED :)

Mary looks lovely in the red dress but useless to have worn a necklace IMO.
I loved the dress but, without the necklace it would have seemed to have too deep a plunge in the front. The necklace balances it up nicely.

An interesting gold necklace with what looks like diamonds on the circles and a matching bracelet.

I'm sure Mary wore the matching earrings to the Scandinavian gala event in the US last month.

Thanks for the pics and clips. :flowers:

A nice little story about Frederik for a change: Billed-Bladet - Mød kronprinsens nye australske ven

He was visiting the Frederik McArthur Windmill Park, where the DK company Vesta is erecting 140 wind mills. (*)
Here he was presented with a number of drawings by local school children and one of them, Tom, apparantly clicked with Frederik. Because Frederik sat down for several minuttes and they talked in details about the drawings.
Afterwards Tom said: "...that he'll probably never forget Frederik".

(*) You may recall the off shore windmill park Frederik visited a couple of years ago. That alone cover 5% of the entire energy consumption in DK.
Windmills are noicy, expensive, inefficient, ruin the scenery and it's very difficult to store the energy. - Today.
Today the windmill technology is comparable to cars from the 1930's. In 30 years from now?
One of the arguments against windmills is that they pose a danger to birds. Well, don't know about birds elsewhere, but here in DK they've learned fly around them. In fact according to ornithologist the birds use windmill farms as landmarks - just as they use bridges as flight corridors when crossing water.
As for off-shore windmills; the foundations are a haven for shellfish, which again attract fish, who are safe there because fishing boats are not allowed near windmills.
For humans; wind is free. In rural areas private windmills are now more and more common. I.e. small windmills that cover the energy of one or two households. They cost around 200.000 DKK at present or the same as a family car. When the wind is blowing (it's doing that a lot here in DK!) the owners turn off the connection from the electricity company. In fact some sell surplus energy to the electricity companies. The main problem so far is that storing surplus energy is still a problem - for the time being.
We live in the outskirts of a village, so we can't have our own windmill, otherwise it would be something we would seriously consider. For the price of a car we would be able to cut the electricity bill by 75-80 %, using a cautious estimate. Year after year.

-----------------------

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/...he-crowds-in-broadmeadows-20111126-1o066.html
Can our Australian members educate us about eSmart and other initiatives in regards to bullying?
What are your own experiences in regards to the anti-bullying campaign that has been running for years in Australia?

--------------------------

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/princess-at-the-ball/xawws4y

A news clip, where Mary is heard giving a speech.
I gotta hear your comments on that.
I realise there must be a lot of regional accents in Australia and I can't tell the difference, but when I listen to Mary speaking English and the news reporters, there is litterally a world's difference.

Last edited:
First pic from the Starry Starry Night gala.

It was a crappy day today in Melbourne - rained nonstop for most of the day, barring one oe two hours.

ETA: Full length image; pic 3 - 4 - 5

Last edited:
Muhler said:
Thanks for the pics and clips. :flowers:

A nice little story about Frederik for a change: Billed-Bladet - Mød kronprinsens nye australske ven

He was visiting the Frederik McArthur Windmill Park, where the DK company Vesta is erecting 140 wind mills. (*)
Here he was presented with a number of drawings by local school children and one of them, Tom, apparantly clicked with Frederik. Because Frederik sat down for several minuttes and they talked in details about the drawings.
Afterwards Tom said: "...that he'll probably never forget Frederik".

(*) You may recall the off shore windmill park Frederik visited a couple of years ago. That alone cover 5% of the entire energy consumption in DK.
Windmills are noicy, expensive, inefficient, ruin the scenery and it's very difficult to store the energy. - Today.
Today the windmill technology is comparable to cars from the 1930's. In 30 years from now?
One of the arguments against windmills is that they pose a danger to birds. Well, don't know about birds elsewhere, but here in DK they've learned fly around them. In fact according to ornithologist the birds use windmill farms as landmarks - just as they use bridges as flight corridors when crossing water.
As for off-shore windmills; the foundations are a haven for shellfish, which again attract fish, who are safe there because fishing boats are not allowed near windmills.
For humans; wind is free. In rural areas private windmills are now more and more common. I.e. small windmills that cover the energy of one or two households. They cost around 200.000 DKK at present or the same as a family car. When the wind is blowing (it's doing that a lot here in DK!) the owners turn off the connection from the electricity company. In fact some sell surplus energy to the electricity companies. The main problem so far is that storing surplus energy is still a problem - for the time being.
We live in the outskirts of a village, so we can't have our own windmill, otherwise it would be something we would seriously consider. For the price of a car we would be able to cut the electricity bill by 75-80 %, using a cautious estimate. Year after year.

-----------------------

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/celebrity/inspired-princess-mary-wows-the-crowds-in-broadmeadows-20111126-1o066.html
Can our Australian members educate us about eSmart and other initiatives in regards to bullying?
What are your own experiences in regards to the anti-bullying campaign that has been running for years in Australia?

--------------------------

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/princess-at-the-ball/xawws4y

A news clip, where Mary is heard giving a speech.
I gotta hear your comments on that.
I realise there must be a lot of regional accents in Australia and I can't tell the difference, but when I listen to Mary speaking English and the news reporters, there is litterally a world's difference.

As an Aussie she sounds Australian to me.

I'm a bit over this " she doesn't sound Australia "that keeps coming up here.

A lot of people from other countries can't even tell the difference between Australian and New Zealand accents !!!

As an Aussie she sounds Australian to me.

I'm a bit over this " she doesn't sound Australia "that keeps coming up here.

A lot of people from other countries can't even tell the difference between Australian and New Zealand accents !!!

:previous: Just to add to Lady74, I think news anchors in every country always never sound like their fellow countrymen (see General American or RP) so for Mary to sound different to them is not very surprising.

On that note, I also just hear Mary as Australian though with a Danish flavour to it.

From an American-Australian point of view, the eSmart and general Australian anti-bullying campaign is IMO very successful. Yes there is still some bullying but the chances of bullying being reported to a teacher or an adult in Australia is much higher than in America, and thus less of a chance for it to lead to unnecessary lengths of violence or more...

Back
Top Bottom