Prince Christian's First Day of Primary School: August 12, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muhler

Imperial Majesty
City
Eastern Jutland
Country
Denmark
Prins Christian skal i folkeskole - TV 2 Nyhederne

TV2 informs us that Christian will start in a public school, not private school, in August.
He will begin in 0 grade, or preschool if you will, at Tranegårdsskolen.
The school belongs to the municipality of Gentofte, but is physically located in Hellerup, which is a posh part of the greater Copenhagen area.

Hellerup is located more or less inbetween Fredensborg Slot and Amalienborg Slot. That should make it more practical, as M&F are expected to live during the summer months in Fredensborg anyway.

From Politiken: Frederik og Mary træffer usædvanligt skolevalg - Politiken.dk

There are around 500 pupils at the school and 21 classes.

BB informs us that the first day at school for Christian will be the 12. August. - I think we can expect a photographer or two to be there.... http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige/ArticleFolder/2011/4/Her%20skal%20prins%20Christian%20gaa%20i%20skole.aspx

Last edited:
Prins Christian skal i folkeskole - TV 2 Nyhederne

TV2 informs us that Christian will start in a public school, not private school, in August.
He will begin in 0 grade, or preschool if you will, at Tranegårdsskolen.
The school belongs to the municipality of Gentofte, but is physically located in Hellerup, which is a posh part of the greater Copenhagen area.

Hellerup is located more or less inbetween Fredensborg Slot and Amalienborg Slot. That should make it more practical, as M&F are expected to live during the summer months in Fredensborg anyway.

From Politiken: Frederik og Mary træffer usædvanligt skolevalg - Politiken.dk

There are around 500 pupils at the school and 21 classes.

BB informs us that the first day at school for Christian will be the 12. August. - I think we can expect a photographer or two to be there.... Billed-Bladet - Her skal prins Christian gå i skole

Do Danish public schools operate on a year-round schedule? I'm guessing grade 0 would be the same as kindergarten here in the States, given that he will be almost 6 in August. Is it unusual for Danish students to attend a public school outside of their residential area? It is here, but I can understand if special accommodations were made in this instance.

Do Danish public schools operate on a year-round schedule? I'm guessing grade 0 would be the same as kindergarten here in the States, given that he will be almost 6 in August. Is it unusual for Danish students to attend a public school outside of their residential area? It is here, but I can understand if special accommodations were made in this instance.

Yes, the classes run from August to June. So in August 2012, Christian will start in 1. grade. That will most likely be at the same school, unless they for whatever reason decide to move him to another school or, which would be unlikely, decide he should attend pre-school for one more year. That would be the case if he is considered too immature to attend 1. grade.

You can of course have your child attend a private school, which we did for our oldest, until we moved to the large village, where we live now. We did so, because we were not satisfied with the standard in the public school he would normally have attended where we lived before. (In a city).
Nowadays parents are more or less free to have their children attend whatever public school they wish, within a reasonable distance. However that does not apply to some public schools which had a very large percentage of immigrant pupils. They are now spread out among other public schools within a municipality. That mostly happens in the largest cities.
In rural areas, villages and suburbs, the most common thing is for the children to attend the nearest public school. And that's what our two children are doing. They attend the only school in the village where we live.

And it would be very safe to say that special considerations were made for Christian to attend this particular school, which after all is located a fairly long way from both Amalienborg and Fredensborg.
It's hardly a conicidence that the school is located in Hellerup, which is, as I pointed out, a posh area. As such it's not a school with serious problems, nor a school where the teachers are, shall we say, less qualified.
This public school can easily compete with a private school and I'd say the vast majority of the pupils have a background from at least the middleclass and up.
Right next to the school is the high school, which Frederik and Joachim attended. And the pupils there had a background, that ensured thet Frederik And Joachim didn't stand out too much.

However, the teachers association for the public schools is more than delighted! They hope to change the view many public schools have in the eyes of the population, especially in the cities.
It's also a signal to some politicians, who have preached that people should send their children to public schools, while sending their own children to private schools...

I also believe the headmaster of Tranegårdsskolen is smiling so broadly that he/she in danger of craking his/her head. They can smell appropirations! And that from a school with pupils, whose parents already do know how to be heard!
It would look unfortunate, if Christian attended a school where the materials are worn out, the classrooms have been neglected and so on, wouldn't it? :whistling:

A gallery from BT about the first day at school for various members of the DRF: De royales første skoledage | www.bt.dk

Last edited:
In Denmark, what is the difference between public and private school? I am surprised that Christian is not attending Krebs School.
You have mentioned the distance between palace and school. Please do not tell me they are sending Christian to boarding school at his age. 6 years old is way too young!

Yes, the classes run from August to June.(..)

Thank you Muheler for the explanation.
As a former public school teacher I'm always supportive of royal children attending public/state schools if the site can be made secure enough for all of the students and staff. I hope that it works well for Christian, his classmates and the school staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Denmark, what is the difference between public and private school? I am surprised that Christian is not attending Krebs School.
You have mentioned the distance between palace and school. Please do not tell me they are sending Christian to boarding school at his age. 6 years old is way too young!

Huh? Gentofte and Hellerup are both part of Copenhagen, and that the school is located in the middle between the two palaces means that he can attend it all year round no matter if they are in Amalienborg or Fredensborg.
Fredensborg is about 40minutes by car.

A public school is funded exclusively by the state and as such it's free.
A private school, recieve some subsidies from the state, but the parent pay a substancial fee.
You of course choose a private school based on what criterias you as parents wish the school to put emphasis on. Like the composition of children, the level of the teachers, discipline and so on. Just like any other private school in the world.
In contrast the quality of a public school can vary very much, again just like other public schools all over the world.

Tranegårds School is a public school and none of the public schools from classes 0-10 are boarding schools.
Christian may attend a kind of boarding school after graduating from the 9. grade. (Up until 9. grade is compulsory in DK). It's called an "efterskole" = something like post-schooling. Such schools are located all over the country and the emphasis can be specific, like athletics or art. The teenagers live at the school and the purpose is to mature them, letting them find new friends, giving them time to figure out what they want and gain some independence - and sometimes also to get away from the parents and younger siblings.
After a year at a efterskole, the aim is for the now 16-17 year olds to start an education. At that point it's unlikely they'll return home to live, unless they have to - except to raid the fridge and have the parents do their laundry. :p
Mrs. Muhler went to an efterskole and she still talks fondly about the year there. (They probably smoked silly-weed all year).

Anyway, I find it more likely that Christian, provided he has the abillities, will attend a high school (gymnasium) when he graduates from 9. grade.
Most likely the high school next to one he will attend. He will spend three years there and graduate when he is around 18. At which time it is more than likely he'll join the military.
If Christian is more practical minded, he may attend an efterskole, but we can talk about that ten years from now.

It is indeed unexpected that Christian will not attend Krebs School, or any other private school.

Last edited:
maybe he is not going to krebs bc frederik did not have a good time there? or bc joachim is not entirely satisfied with the ways his sons are treated and taught to there?

Christian may attend a kind of boarding school after graduating from the 9. grade. (Up until 9. grade is compulsory in DK). It's called an "efterskole" = something like post-schooling. Such schools are located all over the country and the emphasis can be specific, like athletics or art. The teenagers live at the school and the purpose is to mature them, letting them find new friends, giving them time to figure out what they want and gain some independence - and sometimes also to get away from the parents and younger siblings.
After a year at a efterskole, the aim is for the now 16-17 year olds to start an education. At that point it's unlikely they'll return home to live, unless they have to - except to raid the fridge and have the parents do their laundry. :p
Mrs. Muhler went to an efterskole and she still talks fondly about the year there. (They probably smoked silly-weed all year).
He doesn´t need to wait for the 10th grade to attend an efterskole. He can take the 9th grad at an efterskole. I did :flowers:

Actually I attended efterskole for 8, 9 and 10. grade. Since I was 4 years. I knew I would attend the efterskole for 9 and 10. grade.
And when my public school only had classes up til 7th grade, I chose to spent 8th grade at an efterskole close to my parents home. I was only 13½ years old :)
But I really LOOOOOOVED my three years at those two efterskoler. It was the time of my life :):):)

It's not that far. It takes about 13 minutes to drive to Tranegaards School while Krebs School is only 7 minutes away from Amalienborg.

A public school is funded exclusively by the state and as such it's free.
(..)
Thanks for the explanation! Education in Denmark seems very similar to here in the US, the main difference being that that in the US there are 12 years of compulsory education, not 9. Makes me wish I had lived in Denmark as a kid! 12 years of school was long, but I did it! Finished high school with honors! I like the sound of a " post- school" before university too! The U.S. does not have such an option, grades 10-12 are just part of our mandatory education , then to university if we so choose. But that is a big leap, from high school to university, so I like the idea of using grades 10-12 as post school to prepare.The reason I always ask about the difference between public and private school, is because from what I understand, in countries like here in the U.S., Denmark, and the Netherlands, what we consider public school is a free, government funded school. Private school they charge tuition. Whereas in the U.K. if I understand right, what they call a public school is the one which charges a fee, and what is called a state school is government- funded and is free. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this, and sorry if we went off topic...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the explanation! Education in Denmark seems very similar to here in the US, the main difference being that that in the US there are 12 years of compulsory education, not 9. Makes me wish I had lived in Denmark as a kid! 12 years of school was long, but I did it! Finished high school with honors! I like the sound of a " post- school" before university too! The U.S. does not have such an option, grades 10-12 are just part of our mandatory education , then to university if we so choose. But that is a big leap, from high school to university, so I like the idea of using grades 10-12 as post school to prepare.The reason I always ask about the difference between public and private school, is because from what I understand, in countries like here in the U.S., Denmark, and the Netherlands, what we consider public school is a free, government funded school. Private school they charge tuition. Whereas in the U.K. if I understand right, what they call a public school is the one which charges a fee, and what is called a state school is government- funded and is free. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this, and sorry if we went off topic...

You are welcome. :)
How can we learn anything, if we don't ask? ;)

I don't find the topic of the DRF children's schooling off topic at all, it is after all going to be a very important part of their lives for many years to come.

ADDED: For your information. Here is the location of Tranegårdsskolen in relation to Amalienborg. http://www.box.net/shared/czh3q46knz

Once you are on the highway it doesn't take long to drive to or from Fredensborg.

And the kindergarten where Belle will continue to go: http://www.box.net/shared/0llmbdorxt

Last edited:
An amusing little story from BT about bending the rules so that Christian could start at the new school: 5-årige Prins Christian flytter hjemmefra - Royale - BT.dk

Tranegårds school is considered one of the best public schools in DK, as such there is a considerable waiting list to attend there.
Normally only children living in the municipality of Gentofte can attend this school.
The classes are filled to capacity. there can be a maximum of 25 pupils in the pre-school class Christian will attend and there were 24 listed to start there this summer.
However the 25th seat is reserved for children who have just moved into the municipality and that rule has been applied in Christian's case.

And as his parent's official address is Amalienborg in the city of Copenhagen, Christian will somehow "move away from home" this summer.
That's pretty early! Usually Danish children move away from home when they 18-20 years old. ;)

Is Christian doing one more year in pre-school or does he start school this year? He will be 6 years in october...in Portugal that is the time when kids start primary school.

Is Christian doing one more year in pre-school or does he start school this year? He will be 6 years in october...in Portugal that is the time when kids start primary school.
He will start school this august :flowers:

Translation of article in Billed Bladet #18, 2011.
Perfekt til Christian – Perfect for Christian.
Written by Anna Johannesen.

It was after many considerations and visits to several schools that Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary in the end chose Tranegårdsskolen in Hellerup for Christian. Here the firsthand impression indicated that Christian would settle well here with all the possibilities for activities there are here. Apart from that several of the CP couple’s friends, who have children at the school could also tell about the good rapport/good tone between the teachers and students and how safe and happy the children feel about going there. That reinforced the feeling for Mary and Frederik that they had made the right choice, after which Christian, who will turn six in October, was registered to attend 0. grade. (*) First day at school will be on the 12. August and when he on that day for the first time enter the schoolyard with his parents, he will be met with flags and cheers.
- “But it’s not because it’s him”, says school principal Torben Lind. “All children in 0. grade will be received in that way, and it’s the children in 5th grade who are responsible for the flags. We call them 5th friends, because they are the ones who will be looking after the little ones, right until the day they graduate from 9th grade. At that point the 0. graders have become 5th graders, after which it’s their turn to be the big ones. And that way bullying and teasing is taken care of, the big look after the small, which is also well in tune with Crown Princess Mary’s Free From Bullying project”, says the school principal and adds that when the children have entered the greats hall the 0. graders will one by one be called up to greet him, before going down to see their classroom.
- “That’s how we do it here and when the children have met their class-teacher (**) it’s the parents turn to se where their child will sit. Prince Christian is number 25 in his class”, says Torben Lind.

The CP couple put a lot of emphasis on not giving Christian and Isabella any special treatment when they started in kindergarten in Fredensborg. No Prince and Princess and that’s how Torben Lind expects it will be at Tranegård.
- “However, it isn’t something I’ve discussed with the Crown Prince when he was here, but as he and Crown Princess Mary have selected an ordinary public school (***) I presume it’s because they wish their boy also should have a quite ordinary public school-day and in that respect there is no difference between Peter or Søren or Christian”, he says.
One thing will however distinguish Prince Christian from his schoolmates, as he – probably – is the only one in the class who will bring a bodyguard to school. Where he will be placed Torben Lind doesn’t know “but I’ve always had the impression that these PET guards certainly do not wish to disrupt the general picture, so we’ll probably figure it out”.
Christian will be taught four hours each day and the classes will be Danish, math, athletics and music. There is no cafeteria at the school, so the children will bring their own lunch. When the last class has finished at 12.00, Christian will take part in the SFO (****). It’s open until 17.00, but he is hardly likely to stay for that long. Most children from 0-3. grade use the SFO for a couple of hours in the afternoon, before being picked up by their parents. In Christian’s case probably sometimes by a driver.
The Tranegårds School has 34 teachers and around 508 pupils. When school has ended after 9. grade many of them will continue at Øregård Gymnasium (high school), which is located just across the road. From here Crown Prince Frederik graduated, so he does know the Trangårds School very well, from the outside.

With the choice of an ordinary municipal school Mary and Frederik have once again shown that they wish to be “in pact with the people”. To let their children associate other children in a natural and informal way. That they think is both sensible and beneficial for the lives of the children in the future. These are new ways in the royal family. Both Frederik and Joachim attended the private Kreb’s School, just as the Queen attended N. Zahles Private School.
Who Christian will be classmate with is not yet known, but one little (girl)friend he will have. The friends Caroline and Peter Heering’s daughter, Rosemarie, who is about the same age as Christian, will also start in 0. grade after the summer holiday. Her older sister, Emmilie is already a pupil at the school.

(*) Mandatory Pre School. Christian will start in 1. grade in August 2012.

(**) Class-teacher. A teacher who is designated a particular class and who will, as far as it is at all possible, follow that class from grade 0 to graduation.
The class-teacher is also the primary contact between the school and parents. (And certainly in my school days, the class teacher will also crack the whip in regards to other teachers who go out of line. My class-teacher did that a number of times, where she for example felt, we rascals had been slapped unnecessary, or if a teacher was a bit too left wing, or when a male substitute decided to shower with the girls after calisthenics. She was a formidable lady!)

(***) One of the very best public schools in DK, mind you.

(****) SFO = Skole-fritids-ordning = School-spare time-arrangement. Which the younger children can attend after classes until they are picked up by their parents or go home. Apart from doing homework they can take part in various activities or just play under close supervision of teachers.

Apart from that, Lene Balleby’s two children also attend this school, as does the children of a number of well-known Danes. Among them a very pleased Jes Dorph Pedersen aka Mr. News and Mr. Nice and he has this comment:
- “Then hopefully more traffic police will patrol the area, in order to crack down hard on the busy parents who each morning come rushing in their big four-wheel-drives, while they talk on the mobile and park in no-stop-zones. – And you are more than welcome to quote me on that”. http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kendte/Nyheder/2011/5/Jes%20Dorph%20Petersen%20advarer%20kronprinsparret%20om%20ny%20skole.aspx

Last edited:
wow, how interesting information...
thanks muhler for the research.

Thanks for the translations, muhler.
Has there been any grumbling about the fact that the rules were bent so that Christian could attend this school?

Thanks for the translations, muhler.
Has there been any grumbling about the fact that the rules were bent so that Christian could attend this school?

Yes, some. Among them parents whose children are on the waiting list to attend this particular school.

But mostly it's seen as somewhat embarrassing for some politicians who have been preaching that parents should let their children attend a public school, while their own children attend private schools...

:previous:

That is a good idea and a good compromise. The press and the royal fans will have their pictures
and Prince Christian and the other kids will be undisturbed on an exciting day and within the new
situation.

The statement says that they hope that "Prince Christian's first day at school runs quietly, privately
and with respect for the other children and their families".

At the beginning of his school activities Prince Christian received a delegation from the greenland municipality Kujallegs at Frederik's VIII Palace along with his parents and sister Isabella.

Source: Hola on line

In both pictures Isabella seems to be beaming with pride for her big brother. While Mary & Fred look like they're wondering where all the time went but proud of him at the same time.

How cute they are ! I miss the twins in the pic !

Christian looks like he's enjoying doing something so 'grown up'. Very cute. Love Isabella's smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom