The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2006, 05:28 AM
Courtier

I liked the purple hat then and I like it now..Its quite flattering on the Crown Princess. It sits very well with her..Didn't like the the black ensemble though.

"MII"

Old 04-08-2006, 05:58 AM
Aristocracy

With regards to the portrait, each time I look at it I see something different. In fact the more I look at it the more I like it.:) I think that she looks looks as though she was just about to gather up her accessories (handbag, gloves, etc) to go out of the door when something caught her eye out of the window. The look to me is a "moment in time" To some people she will always appear as though she is "aloof and arragant" no matter what she does. Some people come across that way but that does not necessarily prove to be the case. I like the portrait.

With regards to her purple hat. I prefer it with the "tweed" suit but I still thinks she looks really nice with black outfit. I think as long as she is happy with what she is wearing that is all that matters. I am no fashion expert by any means but I do not recall seeing Mary in any disastrous outfits, not like some Royals :)

Scott

Old 04-08-2006, 06:20 AM
Aristocracy

I agree with all the posters who like the portrait of Mary. I love it aswell. I find it to be very modern and mr. Heimans besides beeing a skilled artist has really captured Marys face and figure. I do not find her expression to be cold at all, when you look at the big picture, which Lasse Pedersen posted a link to, you can really see how dreamy she looks - I think it was pdas who called the expression 'pensive' and I couldn't agree more - Mary looks pensive in the portrait.
Other than that I love that the portrait is untraditional. I find that it portrays a modern crownprincess putting on her gloves ready to fulfill her duties.
Mr Heimans has also captured the light so beatifully as it comes in trough the big windows at Fredensborg castle.

I can't wait to se the portrait in real life!
Old 04-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Gentry

I liked the potrait very much. I agree with people that the tradition and the modernity, her past and future all added up to a fine balance. And her expression is not arrogant as some point out or maybe I am just missing it. To me it is a look of reflection of growth, about the transformation and about the responsibility.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Nobility

That's the room where the the engagement conference took place.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Heir Apparent

At first glance, I thought, as many others have stated, that the portrait was too dark. But looking at the large version, I find that I quite like it as it is. I liked the first portrait, but it is also nice to have other than just gala-gown portraits.

I'll have to dig out some available time and take up to the exhibit to see it in real life.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Serene Highness

i'm looking forward to ya'll's reaction when you see it in person, be sure to post and let us know what it's like. thanks b
i like both the modern princess and the traditional portrait in the blue dress, the one with the sunglasses imo is weird and doesn't look like her at all.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Aristocracy

I love the portrait because it is different. It is not a typical like the subject (Mary). It is heavy and dark. If I could use one word to describe it, I would say reflective. Her life in the past two years has taken on a "new" purpose and meaning. She is now a mother, wife, and princess. I think the painting shows a women who has come into her own and moving ahead.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Nobility

I really, really like the portrait. Mary does look serious in it, but in a very contemplative way, I think. It's very flattering, though, and I love the outfit she's wearing in it.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Royal Highness

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
I really like the portrait, I think it's an excellent peice of artwork. Oh and a poster said something about how Mary looked back at the painting while leaving "to get one more look at herself" or something along those lines, So what is it now? she can't look back? Oh the scrutiny lol. She was probably just seeing something she missed thats all :)
I'm with you. I don't think this princess can win!:)
Old 04-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
At first glance, I thought, as many others have stated, that the portrait was too dark. But looking at the large version, I find that I quite like it as it is. I liked the first portrait, but it is also nice to have other than just gala-gown portraits.

I'll have to dig out some available time and take up to the exhibit to see it in real life.
I'd love to hear about your impressions, norwegianne, if you get to see it in person.

Oddly enough, I think this portrait looks more traditional than the first one in Australia. Mary is standing in a grand palace room not facing the viewer with a comtemplative otherworldly expression. In older portraits many royals looked away from the viewer and the portraits were meant to give off an otherworldly air. By those standards, this portrait succeeds admirably.

I love the composition with her off to one side and the spaciousness of her surroundings with her reflection in the mirror. The lighting overall is superb with Mary in the light and much of the room in cast shadows. It makes for a very atmospheric painting that is not just about Mary, its about a whole scene.

I have done some portrait painting myself and I like the painting except for a few small crits (which we painters always have when viewing another painting) Not that I could paint anything like this myself, but there are some things I would have liked to see different.

The halftones on her face (the areas between the dark and the light) look a bit dirty-particularly the area on her forehead and the small shadow between her cheek and upper lip. Its as if the painter wanted these areas to still be in the light where her facial coloring is cooler but the pigment got too dark and it looked dirty instead. If he had painted these areas with the warmth that he did the side of her face in shadow, Mary might not have looked so cold as many viewers have commented on. Or if he had just lightened these areas up a bit, they wouldn't have been so distracting.

Actually I think the area around her upper lip could have been handled more delicately. Its not a very flattering profile - making Mary look a bit pudgy in the lip area. I would have preferred in this area that he just lighten things up and choose a more flattering division between light and shade to show off Mary's wonderful bone structure. But these are small nits in a wonderful painting.

But the suit is really superb as is the fabric in the blue sofa. The blue in the sofa adds some much needed color.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 04-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am definitively in the minority here but I much prefer the formal paintings with tiara, formal dress and sashes. The painting of Mary could essentially be of anyone. 100 years from now will she stand out among other paintings as a real royal princess or just another women in a very beautiful room?

The royals are different from the rest of us, at least in the way they dress up for formal occasions. Royal events and the way the royal display their jewelry has become much more toned down (compare Queen Mary and Queen EII) and it will most likely become even more so. Eventually we may only have paintings to show what it used to be like. Although photos will be available they are still not the same as standing in front of a life size painting.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Aristocracy

A poster asked earlier and I repeat the question-Have any of the other Crown Princesses had their portrait painted?

Would this have anything to do with popularity? Please don't shoot me for asking!!!!

I am torn on the painting, I like it and I don't like it. I think it makes Mary look very attractive but the background seems too busy.

Remember Princess Di's first painting? Where she is in pants and sitting sideways on a chair? It was different in an interesting way and I wonder if this is trying to be the same way. After all, Mary will always be an Australian even though she is now a Dane. This portrait shows that combination.

By the way, I too detest the purple hat, yuck!
Old 04-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Nobility

I love the portrait! Only problem I have is that it seems too cluttered and distracting from the main focus, which is Princess Mary. I don't know, but the heavy furniture and wall-paper are too much.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
I couldnt disagree more.

Have you thought that maybe its just good posture on her bahalf, not arrogance?

As for three...there have only been two official portraits commissioned. What is this other one, you have mentioned?

"MI"
In general, chin up-in-the-air gives the impression of haughtiness and arrogance. When someone has the chin up in the air, s/he almost certainly look *down* on people. Her chin wasn't even just tilted a little bit up in the air; it's way up in the air. Unless she's staring at a cowweb on the ceiling, there's no need for such a tilted head and chin. She's been holding her head like that in public ever since she came onto the scene. The artist captures it. It looks haughty and very unusual for a portrait.

The first portrait was a gift to her. I forgot who's the artist. It's just her head with the humongus black sun glasses Mary likes to wear. It's almost comical even though I don't think that's the intention. It's not a flattering portrait.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Nobility

her expression to me seems as if she's waiting for her prince charming to come.....
Old 04-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess
In general, chin up-in-the-air gives the impression of haughtiness and arrogance. When someone has the chin up in the air, s/he almost certainly look *down* on people. Her chin wasn't even just tilted a little bit up in the air; it's way up in the air. Unless she's staring at a cowweb on the ceiling, there's no need for such a tilted head and chin. She's been holding her head like that in public ever since she came onto the scene. The artist captures it. It looks haughty and very unusual for a portrait.
The Denmark flag was on the ceiling- not cobwebs.
She was looking into her future in Denmark , serious and in thoughtfulness , the challenges and the responsibilities she will face . :)
Old 04-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Aristocracy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdas1201

I love the fact that it shows Mary in a modern attire and not a floor length evening gown, reminiscent of the old world. We are living in the 21st century and the portrait keeps that in mind.

Regarding her pose, I don't see arrogance but a faraway look of a person whose life has changed tremendously. As said before, a pensive look.
According to an interview below, the artist deliberately put Mary in Danish design, in a Danish palace putting on gloves heading off to a royal engagement and pausing to reflect on the journey her life has taken her on. He stated that he found Mary very warm and natural and wanted to portray that in the painting.

Quote:
Adelaide Advertiser

Portrait of our princess
08apr06

IT'S as much a puzzle as a portrait.

Viewers who look closely at the first official painting of Denmark's Crown Princess Mary will find a series of clues from the artist intended to keep you guessing.

Sydney-born artist Ralph Heimans altered reality to fuse Princess Mary's past and present in the giant oil-on-canvas.

"It's very different to other royal portraits. There's no tiara nor sash. She's just really young and fresh. It's her as she is in real life," he said. "She was so warm and easygoing. We had an easy rapport."

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au...55E910,00.html
Old 04-08-2006, 08:00 PM

I like the portrait very much. I'd love to see it in person, but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Aristocracy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella
I really, really like the portrait. Mary does look serious in it, but in a very contemplative way, I think. It's very flattering, though, and I love the outfit she's wearing in it.
WOW......Mary's beautiful outfit is from the Danish Designer as confirmed by the Australian Article as below :

The Australian

Quote:
Home's not far away in portrait of Princess Mary

Peter Wilson, Europe correspondent
April 08, 2006

IS she thinking of home in Australia or bracing herself for her next appointment as a busy Danish princess?

Princess Mary gazes out the window of a Danish palace in her new official portrait, caught in a moment of reflection on her own extraordinary journey from modern Hobart girl to being the stylish new face of one of the world's oldest royal families.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...0-2702,00.html

Tags
crown princess mary, mary, mary donaldson