Portraits of Crown Princess Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
princessmaryportraitaap85ke.jpg

ok, here it is from AAP images. the new portrait of Mary!

I don´t like the new painting of CP Mary...I think that it is very dark to look at.

I had hoped that the painter woud had chosen som better coulers for CP Mary and her dress and that i vod had juste a bit more ligth in tha painting.
So all in all i am a bit dissapointet :( :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I was very surprised when I first saw the new portrait. I knew that it would not be a traditional portrait, but I must say that this was not exactly what I had in mind.

That being said, I like the portrait very much. First of all, the skills of the artist are not to be questioned in any way. Second of all, I like the context of the portrait. The very palatial surroundings both relate to and differ from the Crown Princess. Mr. Heimans has, I think, succeeded in portraying Mary, the woman, wife and mother, and Mary, the Crown Princess of Denmark. Moreover, both past and present can be seen in the Crown Princess' portrait: In some inexplicable way, I both see a royal and common lady. When the palatial context is removed, you still have a feeling of looking at a royal woman - and that is indeed an impressing performance by an artist!

For a less watermarked and larger picture, visit the website of the Danish Museum of National History at Frederiksborg Castle: http://www.frederiksborgmuseet.dk/log/UserImages/00000498_PrincessMary.jpg

/Lasse Pedersen

Last edited:
I think that the new portrait is good. I like that it's not a traditional, formal portrait as it reflects that CP Mary is morden and, despite being royal, has something the ordinary person can relate to. Saying that, it does also convey a dignity which is befitting of a crown princess.

I cant wait to see Mary in this event :eek:

While the artist is clearly very talented I dont much care for the painting, mary looks like she is locked up in her golden palace longing to get out, the face is also so very stiff and a little arrogant, she has a nice smile and they should have painted it. JMO:)

From Lasses link from the museum

Last edited:
yeah the painting is a bit dark. it seems to present mary as a tragic figure. while her mother's death was certainly a tragic event in her life, but given her subsequent happy marriage and the birth of little Christian I think most people would say Mary is not tragic altogether. quite the opposite...

Ok, just saw Adry's post with the photos. maybe Mary is tragic after all. that purple hat! eeewww!!! it looks like something my eccentric aunt hester would wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
People. I dont know, what do you think, but I:
1- Dont like her hat
2- Dont know, why she wears again so dark color

galuhcandrakirana said:
What a "cold" expression of Mary on the painting. Why the painter made potrait of Mary in her cold expression:confused: .

If you look at Mary's posed official photographs (like in fashion magazines and the court's website) she tends to have a serious expression. or more of a half smile than a full-on cheerful one. I guess that is her preference...

Have any of the other new "Metizia" group of European crownprincesses (letizia, maxima, mathilde, mette marit) had a portrait painted?

From Berlingske, you can see her new Lady in Waiting Caroline Heering

Attachments

• 214248_large.jpg
    214248_large.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 392
  • 214250_large.jpg
    214250_large.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 400
  • 214252_large.jpg
    214252_large.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 434
  • 214256_large.jpg
    214256_large.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 528
  • 214258_large.jpg
    214258_large.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 2,770
  • 214262_large.jpg
    214262_large.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 2,683
On that last picture of Mary walking away, I'm not sure of what she is doing, but it looks like she can't get enough of looking at herself and has to turn back to get "just one last look" before she leaves!:D
And the birght purple bucket on her head has to go as well as the dark purple shoes. ormally I like what she wears, but this suit would have looked much better if she had used the splash of color "in or on" the suit rather than on her head and feet. I guess she was just having an off day.....I guess....

Last edited:
I don't think I like the new portrait,I much prefer the one in the blue dress!

blyton said:
I don't think I like the new portrait,I much prefer the one in the blue dress!

why do you prefer that one?

Because I just like the expression on her face better and I like the detail on the dress.I realise its a matter of personal taste.
I forgot to say I like her outfit she had on today very much.

I don´t really like her portrait either...and I don´t understand why she was painted to one side - why was she not centered...it looks strange.

ewwww.....that hat!!!!!!!!
although I like the color purple, I dun like how her hat is put together with her outfit.......

btw...I don't like her new portrait, it seems kinda weird to me. Mary is supposed to be the focus on the portrait, but the background seems to be larger than Mary herself, and I agree with eireann...I don't understand why she was painted to the right side of the portrait, not centered.

galuhcandrakirana said:
What a "cold" expression of Mary on the painting. Why the painter made potrait of Mary in her cold expression:confused: .

I dont find it cold, I think she have a reflective, meditative expression on her face.

I don't care for this portrait. But I must say, imho, it captures Mary exactly.

I like the Portrait of CP Mary! It is really good painted and I like the colours...
But I don't like the pose on it... :( Mary seems a bit arrogant on it...

I love the hat Mary wore! Really cute! :)

I think this is a great portrait by a true artist. Imo, Mary's past is denoted by her back in the mirror where she is viewing sail boats and castles. Her past merges with the present which is expressed by the shadow on the settee. Of course, Mary embodies the modern CP with a nicely tailored suit, etc.. She is looking to the future with a pensive expression on her face, because after all, the future remains unknown! I think that is very good use of light and sunshine to express his theme.

When you look at the mirror in the picture very briefly, it looks a bit as if her back was naked. That's really a weird portrait.

I think the portrait is very well done. Although it envokes a slightly sad emotion when you look at it, I think it is one of the most accurate paintings of Mary so far, strictly concerning her likeness. I think the light coming from the side creates a fullness that full-on light wouldn't. It creates a very realistic image of a moment that just might actually happen in her day to day life: preparing in the morning (she is putting on a glove) and getting set to go out into the world; another busy day in the life of a princess. The fact that she's looking towards the light, instead of away from it, seems hopeful, despite the sad undertones the painting gives.

What a cool portrait! It was surely decided before it was started, in the commissioning of it, that it should be a modern and a bit different one, not the traditional one in long gala dress and grand jewels etc - we've seen tons of those already. I think it's great to see something so different! The artist is amazing. It's nice with the setting around Mary in the painting and the mirror is such a great way of reflecting so much. It captures a modern Crown Princess.

Mary certainly had a funny purple hat today, but she looked happy and lovely otherwise :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom