Prince Frederik and Princess Mary's Visit to New York: September 17-21, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're a very very very small group of people in the big scheme of things. If DRF counts us as the only PR audience, they're in serious trouble.

I read the post from Aurora810 as a humorus comment to the discussion. Not a comment to the NY trip. The post was fun to read.

Highpriestess, for you the post seems to bring yet another opportunity to start the discussion all over again. I don’t think anything is gained by that. You have got your point of view, other has got theirs and I’v got mine.

I think it has been fun to participate in the debate, but to continue a debate that has begone to circle around itselfe - is pointless;).

I think it has been fun to participate in the debate, but to continue a debate that has begone to circle around itselfe - is pointless;).

Espeically considering this visit ended, like, 5 days ago.

Sorry to delve back into this discussion but it seems to me that Fred and Mary did exactly what they were asked to do; they showed up to everything and looked attractive and interested. Mary wore outfits that stood out and they looked thrilled to be there. I don't think F and M can be held accountable for the economic success of the trip, if and when it can be measured.
Maybe the visit went below the radar of much of the NY press; this is not F or M's 'fault'. They fulfilled theur roles to a T.

Well - highpriestess - I am a PR professional, I have years of experience, and a solid background in education. I would not try to understand what the PR objectives were, since I was not part of the planning process, so we can't know if it has been a success.

However, having the experience that I have, I will say this, PR can not be measured overnight generally speaking. Somethings are grass roots PR with a slow burn, and some things get immediate attention, like Britney Spears flashing her panties, or lack thereof.

So, as a PR Professional, I would not judge this a success or non starter just yet.

Just now having the opportunity to view all the posts and pictures of Fred and Mary's visit, I must say I thought the couple did an amazing job. Both dressed with style and elegance. Great pictures everyone, thanks for posting!

Well - highpriestess - I am a PR professional, I have years of experience, and a solid background in education. I would not try to understand what the PR objectives were, since I was not part of the planning process, so we can't know if it has been a success.

However, having the experience that I have, I will say this, PR can not be measured overnight generally speaking. Somethings are grass roots PR with a slow burn, and some things get immediate attention, like Britney Spears flashing her panties, or lack thereof.

So, as a PR Professional, I would not judge this a success or non starter just yet.

Thanks Empress for explaining. I was wondering about this because I know the Scandanavian royals have long made such trips and although they haven't gotten so much national attention, they have gotten attention in the local press. The royals continue to make these trips and this indicates to me that they see some sort of success in them. I know you can't know for sure the PR objectives of Fred's and Mary's trip but could you explain to us some more about some different types of PR objectives that they could have had and how you would have measured the success based on the objective.

Since most of the royal events that we discuss here on the forums have some sort of PR element, I think your experience can add a lot to our understanding of the thinking and planning behind these types of events beyond discussing the merits or lack thereof of an dress a Crown Princess wears which I imagine is only one part (although maybe important part) of the entire PR package. :flowers:

The Royals does not plan trips like this just because they them self think it would be a nice thing to do. Organizations of various kind does.

This was a part of the programme "Creative Nation" which is carried out by The Confederation of Danish Industries (DI). They actually ask the Royals if they would be interested in the project. If so, then the court start to plan things together with the organization.

That is what Royal do. Pick projects that is proposed to them.

Whether it will be succesfull or not depends on the legwork and preparation of the specific organization in question and not on the Royals. They participate to gain some attention to the project. It is up to the organization to use it.

Success or failure simply does not depend on the Royal couple, so it makes no sense to discuss it.

I'am really a big fan of Princess Mary, really a lot, but I feel that in this trip she has exaggerate a bit regarding her choice of fashion. She was the best Danish fashion amabassador that's for sure, but I think sometimes she can leed all the attentions to her and not to the event or Project hitself if she could be a little more unperceivably and wear not so "show off" clothes, maybe the attentions and the messages will be direct to the event and not to her. And please people I really like Mary and I really enjoy all the clothes and the images I have seen during this trip, but I feel like my heart needed to say this!

I'am really a big fan of Princess Mary, really a lot, but I feel that in this trip she has exaggerate a bit regarding her choice of fashion. She was the best Danish fashion amabassador that's for sure, but I think sometimes she can leed all the attentions to her and not to the event or Project hitself if she could be a little more unperceivably and wear not so "show off" clothes, maybe the attentions and the messages will be direct to the event and not to her. And please people I really like Mary and I really enjoy all the clothes and the images I have seen during this trip, but I feel like my heart needed to say this!

If she had gone to a wedding and had some eye popping dress that competed with the bride I might say she dressed to focus on herself, or if her bosom was heaving out of the top of a bodice...but since she has not committed any of those faux pas and instead she has to promote Danish fashion, which seems to be very distinctive (for lack of a better description), I don't agree that she dresses to deliberately bring attention to herself. Mary was conservative in her dress prior to Fred and I don't think that she would wear much of the things we see her in today if she still lived in Australia.

The Royals does not plan trips like this just because they them self think it would be a nice thing to do. Organizations of various kind does.

This was a part of the programme "Creative Nation" which is carried out by The Confederation of Danish Industries (DI). They actually ask the Royals if they would be interested in the project. If so, then the court start to plan things together with the organization.

That is what Royal do. Pick projects that is proposed to them.

Whether it will be succesfull or not depends on the legwork and preparation of the specific organization in question and not on the Royals. They participate to gain some attention to the project. It is up to the organization to use it.

Success or failure simply does not depend on the Royal couple, so it makes no sense to discuss it.

I don't really see why not, the validity of their presence is of paramount relevance to the discussion.

I personally feel that except maybe for that black-white-brown-grey dress she wore on the second day which was indeed eye-catching she did not really wear "show off" clothes. A lot of black - too much black in my eyes - and the gala outfit was nice but not what I would call sensational or showing off. None of the outfits really knocked me over but the overall impression was very good. All in all I thought her outfits represented very well what Danish design stands for. Understated elegance, functionalism and a few unusual ideas (which some like and some don't).

I think having Fred and Mary are taking part in this project is a great idea. After all, CEOs, managers, ministers and politicians come and go, but at least Fred and Mary should be around for many years to come (touch wood). My understanding of the long term goal of this project is that Danish companies already established in the US will give assistance to those companies in Denmark wanting to break into the US market. I think Mary and Fred did their job well, but I agree the success or failure of this project is not dependent on them.

Since we're still on this subject, I'd like to say, WOW, CPFrederik's saying he and his wife are lovers is a pretty powerful and unusual statement to make in public. Nice to hear although we all knew it. He also deserves an A Plus for his part: full work schedule, affability and great appearance.

Wonderful! It doesn't seam to be Isabella because she has more ligth hair this time, strange! Mary is lokking very casual for the trip, what is good for her because is a long trip back home and many hours on the plane! It's a shame we cannot see bigger photos ;-(((((((

Newscom.com | Login
newcom.com has photos of them getting in the car to leave NY
if the link doesn't work- sign in and search danish royals leave new york there's a precious picture of isabella

Thanks for the link. Isabella looks cute:wub:

From my archive.

The meeting with the press at the end of the visit:

Billed Bladet #39, 2007-09-27.

Christian er sådan en glad lille tumling – Christian is such a happy little toddler. (*)

It was a high-spirited CP couple that met the press at restaurant Tavern on the Green in Central Park before the departure from New York. The couple has been spearheading the commercial offensive “Creative Nation” for the entire last week and did indeed to the very end advertise Danish design by sitting in the famous armchair of Arne Jacobsen, The Swan.
- “Mary and I are a bit sore (as in beat/tired) but very pleased with the fantastic experiences we have had in connection with creative Nation”, said Crown Prince Frederik, who among other things thought that it had been “a great pleasure” to experience how American actors worked with the people from Danish theatre.
- “A good Danish/American initiative”, said Frederik.
He admitted that there hadn’t been much spare time, but that the visit had been “very, very interesting”.
- “If one (**) is as curious as we are, then we learn something each time, we are out on official trips”, aid the Crown Prince.

In connection with “Creative Nation”, which is planned to spread to other countries, Mary said that with the good relations there already are between Australia and Denmark she will believe that the good initiative will also spread to her homeland.
- “But there will always be a private trip to Australia coming up”, she added with a smile.
The CP couple was asked how it was to work together. Not just as man and wife but as colleagues.
- “It’s very difficult to draw a boundary between the professional and the private part of what we are doing, but I think we are doing fine. We enjoy working together and we enjoy preparing for the jobs we are taking on. We often have different perceptions of things and that sometimes can lead to discussions. Long and short ones”. (***)
- “Colleagues may be a bit too professional”, said Frederik, “but of course we are. But we are also man and wife and lovers and we work well together. I must say it’s fantastic”.
- “It’s lovely to share the experience together. Frederik has such strength and a good ability to meet with others and create contacts. And that’s good when you (one) takes part in a campaign like the one we have taken part in, in the past week”, said Mary.

- “I have several years of experience from travels, which I made alone, so I know the drill. There is a lot of stress and sometimes you (one) don’t get so much sleep, but you are always ready to face a new day, when it comes. In that way I have been able to support Mary”, said the Crown Prince.
- “Yes, we supplement each other well”, smiled Mary and looked lovingly at her husband. (****)
Q: How is it to be in a shopping-Mecca like New York without having time to do some shopping?
- “I must admit that I’ve pressed my nose flat against the car-window many times, when the shops just flew by”, answered Mary, “but I did have the opportunity to stroll a little and look around in Soho, plus the trips in Central Park very early in the morning with a very awake little baby”.
The stay in New York lasted for five days and it was clear that Mary and Frederik missed their little boy, who on this occasion was not with them on the trip.
- We are very exited about going home and see Christian, but he has had a great time at home in his daily routines which is important in that age. He has had his grandparents, my father and Susan. They have both been there to look after him, but I look very much forward to seeing him, when we land tomorrow morning.
Q: Have you spoken to him on the phone?
- “Yes, as much as you can with a two year old”, said Mary.
- “It has been a bit difficult to communicate but we have gotten a lot of yes’s”, said Frederik.
- “And fine dad, fine mum”, added Mary.
The CP couple was also asked how it was to have two children and become a fairly sized family.
- “It’s lovely to have children and the first time is a huge challenge. On that occasion none of us knows what to expect”, said Frederik.
- “The second time too”, said Mary.
- “Yes, but there is after all more knowledge about how it probably is going to turn out”, believed the Crown Prince.
- “Perhaps you (one) are a little bit more relaxed, but you have to change things and be a little more structured and flexible. But that is simply so wonderful”, said Mary.
- Of course we would have liked to stay a little longer over here, but because we have a child in each country, we would like to go home to our little boy now”, said Frederik.
Q: Do you feel you have time enough for your two children?
- “Yes, I think so”, said Mary. But we are also enormously privileged, because we can shape our daily life as we want to”.
- “Now we brought the little one with us here, and it’s all about turning the challenge into your partner and not your opponent”, said Frederik.

When the CP couple was asked whether they could tell about what sort of little fellow Prince Christian is, Mary almost got tears in her eyes.
- “Oh, now I miss him”, she said with a little smile.
- “He is very much as he is seen. Curious and calm. A happy little toddler, you (one) may call him”, said Frederik.
- “He is really up on his toes”, said Mary.
To the question as to how Isabella has handled the days in New York, Mary replied that the travel had gone reasonably well but her sleep at night had certainly been a bit irregular.
- “That meant that I had to get up at 05.00 and walk in Central Park, but I don think she has handled it very well. She is happy and contended and has been somewhat of a tourist here, so she may have seen more here than we have”, said Mary, who was then asked whether she had worn Danish design herself during the visit.
- “Yes, mostly”, answered the Crown Princess, - “And in many different ways”.
Q: How do you view the future as ambassadors for Denmark?
- “That hasn’t changed because of this visit”, answered Frederik, “We have experience in our backpack from many other visits both here and in Australia. We have a good energy, curiosity and drive, and that is basically what we would like to pass on. We would like to spread the pride, we feel about everything Danish, and to assist Danish commerce”.

- “We make an effort in order to present Denmark in the best possible way”, added Mary.
- “Yes”, she said, “It was an entirely different way t experience the city”.
- I would have liked to see a Broadway show”, said Mary.
- “Yes, you didn’t get to experience that, and there is Abba’s Mamma Mia. That could have been fun”, said Frederik.
The CP couple did unfortunately not have time to play tourists.
- “No, unfortunately. We have neither sailed around Manhattan or been up the Empire State Building”, said Frederik.
- “But we’ve had a lovely view from our hotel room and we have enjoyed that together”, said Mary.
Q: How will you finally describe the visit to New York?
- “We believe ourselves that it has gone well, as you (one) say. It’s difficult to judge yourself, but there have been smiles and bright faces wherever we have come and gone”, said the Crown Prince.
- “But it doesn’t depend on us. It’s just like if you give a better at home. Then you don’t expect to deliver all the festivities yourself. Then your friends will come and fill out the party. With fun, joy and mischief. It’s a bit like that here”.
Q: Do you think there will be a Mary-effect here as there has been in Australia?
- “I cannot answer that”, she said. “Incidentally, I don’t know what a Mary-effect is”.

Written by Anna Johannesen.

(*) Tumling, actually meaning that he is an active child.

(**) Used all the time in DK.

(***) Long discussions = The married man caves in….I mean agree after a while. Short discussions = The married man agree at once.

(****) Actually stronger than that. She looked “forelsket” at him = The way people in love look at each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom