Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Johanne is very pretty, especially the Danish pronunciation. Viggo has never been a favorite - it just doesn't roll of the tongue very well for me, but it's a Danish Royal Family name, so I wouldn't be surprised if they used it.

Viggo? Hmm, don't think so.

FasterB, isn't Viggo very much out these days?

Johanne is a pretty name, though.

Last edited:

Viggo is quite popular atm. btw we have had a Viggo in the royal danish family. Prince Valdemar, son of Christian 9, had a son named Viggo.

betina said:
And Christian III queen was named Dorothea too.
Not to offend anyone but I really dont like Abel. Reason: There was a king in Denmark named Abel who killed his brother Erik and dumped him in the river Slien.

That's interesting. Kind of like the story of Cain and Abel in the bible but the other way round...

How about Gustaf after Queen Margrethe's grandfather and Gustav of Berleberg. It'll work out nicely if he's one of the godparents.

I'm stuck on girl's names. I like Dagmar, Dorothea is nice or maybe Theodor/Feodor for the boy.

Viggo is quite popular atm. btw we have had a Viggo in the royal danish family. Prince Valdemar, son of Christian 9, had a son named Viggo.

It is? Okay.

I can't remember the last time I met someone called Viggo.

Viggo and Vibeke? Nah, doesn't ring.

Abel and Abelone?

Last edited:
no offense, but i hate the name Dorothea. i hope they dont give that name.

i like Christina (i doubt they will name their daughter so similar to her brother Christian), Marianne, Eve, Mathile(a) (my favourite), Suzanne, Lea (i doubt, but the name is so cute and small), Dagmar, Beatriz, Caroline(a), Catharine(a), Diane, Filipa, Helene, Jessica, Lilian, Laura, Nuria, Rose, Sarah, etc...

for the boy, please no Oscar and Abel, i dont like that names.
but i would love an Alexander, Erik, Richard, Thomas (my favourite, such an handsome Prince Thomas), Maximilliam (i doubt), etc...

wow, cant wait to know the names. just one more month:flowers:
(and im sure that it will end up being 2 names we never guessed)

I think Mary and Frederik will do what they did in Isabella's case: search the family tree for a royal name that is somewhat obscure but works in both Danish and English.

(And isn't in use by any other current royals).

I think as the couple named their daughter Isabella which is not a Danish name in first place, I do not think they will go for traditional Danish names at all. And if they did, probably only in relation to the family tree. I'm not fond of modern names for royal children, but I believe they will choose a modern one. Speculation is more or less senseless, we will see the result soon enough. ;)

Princess Freya? Sounds like Leia to me.

Is Horne really a first name? Also, Donaldson is a last name, not a first name.

I really like Johanne! I think it's a great name.
Yes, Freya is nice, but Princess Freya just doesn't sound quite right?
Oscar could also be used by Victoria for her first child? The name is even more Swedish royal than Danish.

Maximilian and Thomas are nice names for a boy, too.

I think as the couple named their daughter Isabella which is not a Danish name in first place, I do not think they will go for traditional Danish names at all. And if they did, probably only in relation to the family tree. I'm not fond of modern names for royal children, but I believe they will choose a modern one. Speculation is more or less senseless, we will see the result soon enough. ;)

There are a number of Isabellas in the family tree, and not all married into it. The name is not as rare as some made it out to seem.

Eric V had a daughter Isabella
John of Denmark had a daughter Isabella who married the elector of Brandenberg (Her brother Christian II's wife Isabella is who modern day Princess Isabella is speculated to be named for)
Frederick I had a daughter Isabella
Frederick II had daughter Isabella who married the Duke of Brandenberg
Christian IV had a daughter Sophia Isabella with his wife Christina Munc, and a daughter Isabella with his wife Anna-Catharine of Brandenberg

So Mary and Fred's daughter is at least the seventh Danish princess born with the name Isabella.

I really like the Anna-something. It would be an honor to Anne-Marie but is also very common in the Danish tree, and Prince Henri also had a sister Anne-Marie who died young. The second part could be a name they love but which has been used recently like Sophia, to give it a new form.

Anna-Caroline
Anna-Sophia
Anna-Theresa (Theresa a siter of Henri)
Anna-Catherine (also a sister of Henri)
Anna-Charlotte
Anna-Christina (perhaps not due to closeness to Christian)
Anna-Helene

I really like Anna-Catherine

Princess Anna-Catherine Benedikte Mary Patricia: the queen's sisters, Henri's sister, and Mary and her sister

And Abel I recomended due to the link to Tasmania but perhaps not. Joachim was slightly less traditional for a second son, (seems to be the father in law of Christian IV)

Prince George Friedrick Peter Canut- George from the family tree, Friedrick for Fred, Peter for Mary's family, Canut for Margrethe's Uncle

So

Anna-Catherine Benedikte Mary Patricia
George Friedrick Peter Canut

I believe so, yes. I can´t remember when we last had a christening where the boy was named Viggo.
In these days it´s: Albert, Axel/Aksel, Hjalmar, Janus, Lukas, Matthias, Oscar/Oskar, William, Carl/Karl, Johannes, Markus, Jonathan and so on with names from our grandparents generation :)

Anna-Caroline
Anna-Sophia
Anna-Theresa (Theresa a siter of Henri)
Anna-Catherine (also a sister of Henri)
Anna-Charlotte
Anna-Christina (perhaps not due to closeness to Christian)
Anna-Helene

I really like Anna-Catherine

Princess Anna-Catherine Benedikte Mary Patricia: the queen's sisters, Henri's sister, and Mary and her sister

I have to say that I've never liked double names, and so far Frederik and Mary don't seem inclined to adopt them.

I have to say that I've never liked double names, and so far Frederik and Mary don't seem inclined to adopt them.

Just because Isabella is not double named, doesn't mean they aren't inclined. Margrethe and Benedikte don't have double names but Anne-Marie does. Henri is one of eight siblings I think, and only one of his is double named. Christian we knew would be Christian, so that isn't any sign of inclination.

I kinda hope they think of names that none of us have thought of! So it will be a complete surprise.
like Isabella's was.

Last edited:
melissaadrian said:
Just because Isabella is not double named, doesn't mean they aren't inclined. Margrethe and Benedikte don't have double names but Anne-Marie does. Henri is one of eight siblings I think, and only one of his is double named. Christian we knew would be Christian, so that isn't any sign of inclination.

From what you said, it seems even less likely that a double barrelled name will be chosen.

It is? Okay.

I can't remember the last time I met someone called Viggo.

Viggo and Vibeke? Nah, doesn't ring.

Abel and Abelone?

Look at this from the statistic base in Denmark on the name Viggo

http://www.dst.dk/Statistik/Navne/Document.aspx?path=/homedk/statistik/navne/baro&layout={AB08C697-2973-4A81-98AC-E038190BA8DB}

Look at this from the statistic base in Denmark on the name Viggo

http://www.dst.dk/Statistik/Navne/Document.aspx?path=/homedk/statistik/navne/baro&layout={AB08C697-2973-4A81-98AC-E038190BA8DB}
Doesn´t really show anything, but that 93 babyboys was christened with th name Viggo. That´s not really a modern name, IMO, sorry.

Doesn´t really show anything, but that 93 babyboys was christened with th name Viggo. That´s not really a modern name, IMO, sorry.

well the graph is increasing but nvm.

I still think we should have a little prince Christoffer.
I am totally clueless of the princess because there is so many gorgeous girl names

well the graph is increasing but nvm.

I still think we should have a little prince Christoffer.
I am totally clueless of the princess because there is so many gorgeous girl names
Oh, Christoffer/Christopher that´s a cute name :wub:

Oh, Christoffer/Christopher that´s a cute name :wub:

A little too close to Christian don't you think. It would be like calling the little girl Christina.

From what you said, it seems even less likely that a double barrelled name will be chosen.

How does what I say make it less likely? I showed there was a tradition of double naming, but that not all siblings were double named.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they will probably use Frederick grandmothers name

I think they will probably use Frederick grandmothers name

But isn't Ingrid one of Isabella's names as well as the name of a cousin? The countess?

What is Henri's mother's name?

How does what I say make it less likely? I showed there was a tradition of double naming, but that not all siblings were double named.

You mentioned one double barrelled name out of an entire family. Hardly a tradition.

But isn't Ingrid one of Isabella's names as well as the name of a cousin? The countess?

What is Henri's mother's name?

We have Countess Ingrid and Isabella's second name is Ingrid. It's Renée.

Second middle name though. ;)
Weeeeeeell, although we in Denmark have the term "middle name" it does not supply to this. Both Christian and Isabella has 4 names (and none of them are middle names). So you see it´s her third name :)

Let me give you an example: Christian Valdemar Østergaard Jensen
Christian Valdemar = first names (fornavn)
Østergaard = Middle name (mellemnavn)
Jensen = Surname (efternavn)

So all names that you can have as a first name will in Denmark be called first names.
Since you can only have one surname, then all other surnames will be middle names except for the last one, which will be the surname :)

So taking the example and adding names: Christian Valdemar Jonas Mikkel Østergaard Lind Hansen Jensen
4 first names
3 middle names
1 surname

Well to me, she has one given name - Isabella and 3 middle names. That's how I work. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom