Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: There's a little problem here: Hansel and Gretel is a German fairy tale by the Grimm brother. Denmark is the land of Hans Christian Anderson, so maybe we should look for names in his stories. Does the little Mermaid have a name in Anderson's story? :ROFLMAO:
No, she has no first name. (She is just called "den lille Havfrue" in Danish)
Tommelise (Thumbelina) does not have a first name as well. But Tommelise is a very cute nick name.

As far as i know the princess in "the Wild Swans" is called Elisa.

My guess for a first name for the lille prinsesse:
Sophie/Sofie
Mathilde/Matilda
Elisabeth
Josefina
Charlotte
Louise

and the little prince:

William
Thomas
Knud (but more unlikely)

No, she has no first name. (She is just called "den lille Havfrue" in Danish)
Tommelise (Thumbelina) does not have a first name as well. But Tommelise is a very cute nick name.

As far as i know the princess in "the Wild Swans" is called Elisa.

My guess for a first name for the lille prinsesse:
Sophie/Sofie
Mathilde/Matilda
Elisabeth
Josefina
Charlotte
Louise

and the little prince:
William
Thomas
Knud (but more unlikely)

Elisa sounds very nice! But after all it's not likely that they look for names in fairy tales.
I don't like William. To me it sounds like an old man's name (and sorry, I never like the name of Prince William therefore). Also the name is now too much associated with the British royals.
Thomas and Charlotte are very nice, though.

Whatever names they choose, won't the little prince have either Frederik or Christian as one of them?

And won't the princess be: Something Something Ingrid Margrethe?

Mirabel said:
Whatever names they choose, won't the little prince have either Frederik or Christian as one of them?

And won't the princess be: Something Something Ingrid Margrethe?

It isn't set in stone that the boy has to have Frederik or Christan and for the girl Ingrid and Margrethe.
I'm hoping we don't see any reoccurring family names unless it's for a specific reason.

It isn't set in stone that the boy has to have Frederik or Christan and for the girl Ingrid and Margrethe.
I'm hoping we don't see any reoccurring family names unless it's for a specific reason.

There will probably be a Frederik/Christian in Elvis' name, as with his father, brother, uncle and cousins. Just in case...

Not so sure about Ingrid/Margrethe...

I think it is set in stone that the little prince is named "Frederik" with one of his name (likely not the first name, which is used on a daily basis, because that would be confusing).
But i think they will not use Christian as a middle name, because of their other son.
Ingrid or Margrethe might be used again, although it is used for Isabella. But just one of them, not both, because that is to much copying Isabella's name.
I take it for granted that they will use a traditional danish name as a middle name. They did so when using Ingrid and Valdemar. So Thyra, Dagmar, Gertrud, Hedwig, Ingeborg, Frederikke, Ulrike, Louise, Mathilde might be used as a middle name.

I love the name Feodora, but it is to unusual for a first name. Might be middle name, but i think they will not consider Feodora at all.

So in the end they might use the following combinations - just my predictions :lol:
4 name in total:
- 1. name, because they might like it.
- one middle name will be traditional Danish
- one or two middle names will be the names of a relative

Sophie (or Sofie) Elisabeth Margrethe Victoria
Mathilde Louise Mary Henrietta
Sophie (or Sofie) Margrethe Charlotte Johanne (a version of Jane)
Mathilde/Matilda Ulrikke Ingrid Charlotte
Elisabeth Amalie Margrethe Ingeborg
Josefina Louise Margrethe Thyra
Charlotte Hedwig Patricia Mary
Louise Ingrid Victoria Jane

William Frederik Andre Peter
William Frederik Knud Joachim
William Johann Frederik Knud
Thomas Johann Peter Frederik
Oscar Thomas Frederik Peter/Johann

I think it is set in stone that the little prince is named "Frederik" with one of his name (likely not the first name, which is used on a daily basis, because that would be confusing).
But i think they will not use Christian as a middle name, because of their other son.

Why is it set in stone?
If it was every son would have "Frederik" in their name would they not? Felix, Henrik, Konstantin and none of the Greek princes have Frederik in their name?
So I would not say it is set in stone.

Why is it set in stone?
If it was every son would have "Frederik" in their name would they not? Felix, Henrik, Konstantin and none of the Greek princes have Frederik in their name?
So I would not say it is set in stone.

It's simple a tradition of the Family that sons have either Frederik or Christian under their names. So if one of them should became King the could either Frederik or Christan as their regnal Name.
They only of Queen margrethe's grandson who has neither Christian orFrederik under his names is Prince Henrik jr. probably he is not high in the line of succession. And Konstantin has no succession rights neither are the greek Princes.

I was joking about the fairytale. Yes it is written by German authors, however, Hans was a King of Denmark and Hans is a Danish name. Grethe is the short form of Margrethe. Hans is also the short form of John. So I don't think those two names are out of the running, imo. Also, Hans as in Hans Chr. Andersen...lol...ok, I am done defending now! :lol:

Whatever names, the CPC chooses, I am sure they will be appropriate for them.

Hans Christian Valdemar Joachim
Margrethe (Grethe) Isabella Ingrid Henrietta

i would love a frederikke somewhere for the girl and a marius somewhere for the boy to honour the happy parents. i'd like these version better than a frederik and a mary.

I was joking about the fairytale. Yes it is written by German authors, however, Hans was a King of Denmark and Hans is a Danish name. Grethe is the short form of Margrethe. Hans is also the short form of John. So I don't think those two names are out of the running, imo. Also, Hans as in Hans Chr. Andersen...lol...ok, I am done defending now! :lol:

I understood your joke and thought it funny. I meant my suggestion of the little Mermaid as a joke as well.:flowers:

Stefan said:
It's simple a tradition of the Family that sons have either Frederik or Christian under their names. So if one of them should became King the could either Frederik or Christan as their regnal Name.
They only of Queen margrethe's grandson who has neither Christian orFrederik under his names is Prince Henrik jr. probably he is not high in the line of succession. And Konstantin has no succession rights neither are the greek Princes.

If it comes down to regal names then a middle name isn't going to mean a lot. This new Prince could call himself Frederik or Christian if he becomes King without using the middle name excuse.
Names get boring, even if it's for traditional reasons.

:wave: Maybe we should define the various name classes in order to avoid misunderstandings??
According to the Danish name act of 2005, we are talking about (supposedly) four first (or Christian) names! This is what the twins are going to get!

A 'middle name' is defined as a name which has the characteristics of a surname. Thus the twins are not going to get any middle names!

A surname is a surname:)! Not applicable in this case!

I'm not really into the name guessing thing and yet, the other day Patricia popped up ! One of CP Mary's sisters is named Patricia and there's also HM's 'aunt Patricia' (The Lady Patricia Ramsay, formerly Princess Patricia of Connaught) who used to be close to the Danish RF because of her niece Queen Ingrid. In short, Patricia is an Anglosaxon name which runs in both families.

Other 'firsts' of the four Christian names IMO could be Louise or Elizabeth.

I have no suggestions for the entire name chain; it could be anything except that Margrethe is likely to be included!

As for the boy:
I'm clueless! Alexander ? We had a Prince Alexander of Denmark for a couple of years, before his parents were shipped off off to Norway in 1905 and his name was changed to Olav.

William or perhaps Georg(e) are other other, albeit faint possibilities IMO.

Because of the their place in the line of succession, the names need not adhere strictly to royal tradition, but I'm almost certain that some of them will! I'm also 99 percent convinced that they will be Anglosaxon per se or easily translated into an Anglosaxon equivalent!

Viv

I'm sorry but seriously? their first son is Christian Valdemar, so lets reuse both those names for their second son? and their first daughter is Isabella Ingrid Henrietta Margarethe, so lets not give the new princess her own identity at all, just rearrange her sister's name? I am sorry but that is a bit ridiculous. Hans is cute, I think as a middle name, and I like Joachim for his Uncle, but there are hundreds of names, why reuse the names used by their siblings.

since they changed succession, so a daughter can reign, I kind of like the idea of the feminine version of Fridrick, for a girl.

I still see using as middle names, great grandparents, as the grandparents were honored in the older two.

If it comes down to regal names then a middle name isn't going to mean a lot. This new Prince could call himself Frederik or Christian if he becomes King without using the middle name excuse.
Names get boring, even if it's for traditional reasons.
Well, even if a name is quite boring, there is a tradition to call every Danish prince born to the Crown Prince or King/Queen is called either Christian or Frederik. That is why i think Mary and Frederik will call their new son Frederik with 2.,3. or 4. name. They used already Christian, so i think it will be Frederik.

just to show the tradition a list of the kings and the sons of the last kings and queens or crown princes :
Frederik André Henrik Christian (CP)
Joachim Holger Waldemar Christian (sons: Nikolai William Alexander Frederik and Felix Henrik Valdemar Christian )
Knud Christian Frederik Michael (Knud) (sons: Ingolf Christian Frederik Knud Harald Gorm Gustav Viggo Valdemar Aage (Ingolf) and Christian Frederik Franz Knud Harald Carl Oluf Gustav Georg Erik (Christian af Rosenborg))
Christian Frederik Franz Michael Carl Valdemar Georg (Frederik 9.)
Christian Carl Frederik Albert Alexander Vilhelm (Christian 10.)
Christian Frederik Vilhelm Carl (Frederik 8.)
Christian Frederik Carl Georg Valdemar Axel (Haakon VII)
Harald Christian Frederik (Harald)
Christian Frederik Vilhelm Valdemar Gustav (Gustav)
Christian Wilhelm Ferdinand Adolf Georg (Vilhelm, later Georg of Greece)
Frederik Carl Christian (Frederik 7.)

I didn't count the Greece princes.

Bette Henrik is not called Christian or Frederik, but he was 7. in the line of sucession at the time of his birth.

I'm sorry but seriously? their first son is Christian Valdemar, so lets reuse both those names for their second son? and their first daughter is Isabella Ingrid Henrietta Margarethe, so lets not give the new princess her own identity at all, just rearrange her sister's name? I am sorry but that is a bit ridiculous. Hans is cute, I think as a middle name, and I like Joachim for his Uncle, but there are hundreds of names, why reuse the names used by their siblings.

Don't forget that Queen Margrethe has two sisters, and all three of the girls were given Ingrid as one of their names!

That's why I'd be willing to bet money that the new little princess will also get Margrethe as one of her names, probably not the first name but one of the four.

It wouldn't surprise me that, should Joachim ever have a daughter, one of her names would also be Margrethe.

this is not a gues, but if I was M&F I Would name my twins:

Prince Victor Hugo Frederik Andrè (godparents : Prince daniel, Countess Josephine of Rosenborg John Donaldson (Mary's brother) and a friend of M&F)

Princess Juliane Alexandrine Mary mathilde (godparents: Princess Maxima, CountessCamilla of rosenborg Jane Stephens (mary's sister) and a friend of M&F

Albert Carl Frederik Ulrich
Victoria Ingrid Desiree Mary

Don't forget that Queen Margrethe has two sisters, and all three of the girls were given Ingrid as one of their names!

That's why I'd be willing to bet money that the new little princess will also get Margrethe as one of her names, probably not the first name but one of the four.

It wouldn't surprise me that, should Joachim ever have a daughter, one of her names would also be Margrethe.

It is one thing to reuse 1, which even I don't understand as there are so many other names, but to reuse all four of Isabella's names which is what the post I was commenting on suggested? It would like naming me and my sister Melissa Leigh Jayne and Jayne Leigh Melissa

As for Joachim he has no daughter yet, so if he used Margrethe as a first or middle name for a future daughter that would not be odd. He would not be reusing the name, he has no daughters with it.

IIRC, Ingrid was given to the three daughters of Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid to signify who they descended from - as Ingrid was a Swedish Princess.

IIRC, Ingrid was given to the three daughters of Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid to signify who they descended from - as Ingrid was a Swedish Princess.
That´s correct :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Well, even if a name is quite boring, there is a tradition to call every Danish prince born to the Crown Prince or King/Queen is called either Christian or Frederik. That is why i think Mary and Frederik will call their new son Frederik with 2.,3. or 4. name. They used already Christian, so i think it will be Frederik.

Except this new Prince is 3rd in line for the throne. So names shouldn't matter.
This new Prince would have to witness the death of his father, eldest brother and sister before becoming King. I can understand the tradition for the first born male, but not for subsequent males.
Joachim isn't a Frederik or a Christian.

Except this new Prince is 3rd in line for the throne. So names shouldn't matter.
This new Prince would have to witness the death of his father, eldest brother and sister before becoming King. I can understand the tradition for the first born male, but not for subsequent males.
Joachim isn't a Frederik or a Christian.

Wait a minute, Joachim IS a Christian!: Joachim Valdemar Holger Christian.

I agree that it would take a catastrophe of some proportions before Prince Twin inherits the throne but, there's no way around one of the two regal names. Omitting it would be a breach of tradition! The first first name however, the name he will go by in everyday use need not be a name in the DRF tradition!

Viv

I meant Joachim isn't a Christian by first name.
CharlotteAmalia listed all the previous Kings who have had the name Frederik or Chrisitan.
If the traditional rule for naming your sons "Frederik and Christian" applies to all boys, then Joachim should have been named Christian in case he inherited. Which is the situation CharlotteAmalia suggested as the reason for calling this new Prince, Frederik.

In keeping with Prince Joachim's "Snoopy" comment...I'll offer "Linus and Lucy.";)

In keeping with Prince Joachim's "Snoopy" comment...I'll offer "Linus and Lucy.";)

Why not? :) Are they Peanuts characters?

A guess: Lucy is the dark haired girl, who always trick a boy into kicking a ball?
And Linus always go: "Good grief"?

How about Woodstock as a middle name? :p

CharlotteAmalia listed all the previous Kings who have had the name Frederik or Chrisitan.
If the traditional rule for naming your sons "Frederik and Christian" applies to all boys, then Joachim should have been named Christian in case he inherited. Which is the situation CharlotteAmalia suggested as the reason for calling this new Prince, Frederik.

The tradition is having all sons, besides the first-born who will be King, have 'Frederik or 'Christian' as one of their middle names. Which is what I gathered that CharlotteAmalia meant in this phrase, "will call their new son Frederik with 2.,3. or 4. name". As has been said before, the only Danish prince in quite a long while who has not had 'Frederik' or 'Christian' as one of his names is Henrik Jr - which might be explained by his low place in the line of succession. The newborn prince is currently 4th in line, he will be 3rd in line when his father succeeds the throne. There is a chance, however small/catastrophic it might be, that he could one day sit on the throne himself.

If Frederik and Mary do not use 'Frederik' or 'Christian' (the former being the most likely of the two) as one of Lille Dreng's middle names, it will be very very very surprising to a lot of people.

Prince Joachim IS a Christian. If he should inherit the throne, then IMHO he would choose to use Christian as king-name, in order to keep the tradition of a Frederik/Christian on the danish throne

I know Joachim is a Chrisitan, someone pointed that out to be earlier. But like I said Joachims first name isn't Christian, which is what I believed CharlotteAmalia was suggesting.
If they do give him a middle name as Frederik, i'll be very dissappointed, I don't see why the name has to be used over and over again. It's boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom