Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But aren't Jeppe Handwerk, Christian Buchwald, Peter Heering and Marie Louise Skeel common people ;)
Weeeeeel, they are, but some are more common than others :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But Mathilde and Mat(h)ilda are pronounced differently, aren't they?
In danish Mathilde/Matilde are pronounced the same and like wise Mathilda/Matilda, but certainly not Mat(h)ilde >< Mat(h)ilda.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Danish Names 2007(most recent)

1. Lucas
2. Mikkel
3. Noah
4. William
5. Oliver
6. Mathias
7. Magnus
8. Emil
9. Frederik
10. Mads
11. Christian
12. Victor
13. Sebastian
14. Tobias
15. Marcus
16. Gustav
17. Rasmus
18. Malthe
19. Oscar
20. Alexander
21. Nikolaj
22. Jonas
23. Andreas
24. Jacob
25. Simon
26. Kasper
27. Anton
28. Benjamin
29. Daniel
30. Nicklas
31. Jeppe
32. Elias
33. Marius
34. Christoffer
35. Carl
36. Valdemar
37. Philip
38. Jonathan
39. August
40. Villads
41. Silas
42. Bertram
43. Anders
44. Lasse
45. Laurits
46. David
47. Aksel
48. Hjalte
49. Adam
50. Albert

1. Mathilde
2. Emma
3. Sofie
4. Freja
5. Laura
6. Caroline
7. Ida
8. Anna
9. Sara
10. Julie
11. Maja
12. Victoria
13. Clara
14. Emilie
15. Lærke
16. Isabella
17. Josefine
18. Cecilie
19. Amalie
20. Alberte
21. Marie
22. Katrine
23. Sofia
24. Signe
25. Frida
26. Nanna
27. Liva
28. Frederikke
29. Alma
30. Nicoline
31. Mille
32. Malou
33. Olivia
34. Astrid
35. Andrea
36. Johanne
37. Maria
38. Jasmin
39. Karla
40. Filippa
41. Rebecca
42. Camilla
43. Silje
44. Tilde
45. Lea
46. Asta
47. Naja
48. Thea
49. Mia
50. Sille

I could definitely see Julia as the girl but for the boy nothing on the top names really seems their style.

Girl: Mathilde Dagmar Renee Madeleine
Boy: Oscar Clark Fredrick Daniel
Clark is the middle name of Marys mum and Madeleine and Daniel are if they choose Princess Madeleine and Prince Daniel for gp.

But Mathilde and Mat(h)ilda are pronounced differently, aren't they?

Mathilde in Danish: Aussprache von Mathilde: Wie man Mathilde auf Französisch, Dänisch ausspricht
Matilda in Swedish (same pronounciation as Danish???) Aussprache von Matilda: Wie man Matilda auf Portugiesisch, Finnisch, Englisch, Schwedisch, Kroatisch, Rumänisch ausspricht

(At least they would be pronounced differently in German. In Germany Mathilde is the traditional way - i had a great-aunt, born about 1900, called Marie Mathilde. Mathilda and Matilda is quite fashionable at the moment in Germany, especially Hamburg. I believe it became known through the film "Matilda")

Yes, they are pronunced differently! They are two different names, even though they are similar to each other! :flowers:

My point was that the name "Mathilde" (with an h) is the most used version of the two names, but when it comes to the name "Matilda", the version without an h is most common.

Good to see some of my suggestions on that Danish name list...

Marius (33) & Frederikke (28)
Oscar (19) & Mathilde (1)

So I stick by my suggestion of Oscar & Matilda (spelt the 'australian' and less common way)...Or the curve ball might be Olafur, the Icelandic similar sounding name to Oliver (5)...Matilda and Olafur is also another possibility...

Ok my list of possibilities:
1) Matilda and Oscar (my top pick, fits all criteria)
2) Adelaide* and Oscar
3) Matilda and Olafur
4) Adelaide and Olafur
5) Xenia and Oscar

*they still might consider Adelaide, another name with Australian associations, European origins and royal links and the home of Mary's bestie, Amber... :)

Last edited:
Shirley and Basse. :p

marius would be good. then to even the score frederikke for the girl?

Good to see some of my suggestions of that Danish name list...

2) Adelaide* and Oscar
4) Adelaide and Olafur
*they still might consider Adelaide, another name with Australian associations, European origins and royal links and the home of Mary's bestie, Amber... :)

Ohh I really like those 2! I can't even make up my mind can't imagine how hard it is for Mary and Fred!!

Yes, they are pronunced differently! They are two different names, even though they are similar to each other! :flowers:

My point was that the name "Mathilde" (with an h) is the most used version of the two names, but when it comes to the name "Matilda", the version without an h is most common.
Okay, now I've got it. :)

I think there were just two royal "Mathilde" in Denmark. There was Caroline Mathilde (also written: Karoline Matilde or in UK Caroline Matilda) She lived and died in a very sad way. (also see: Caroline Matilda of Great Britain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). But i have no idea how she is seen in Denmark. Does the person Caroline Mathilde or the royal name Mathilde have a positiv connotation?

There is also another Caroline Mathilde of Denmark 1912 – 1995, mother of Princess Elisabeth (see: Princess Caroline-Mathilde of Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

While looking on wikipedia, i saw the name "Feodora" ( name of the sister of Queen Victoria and quite popular among her descendants). I really felt in love with that name :wub: But probably it is too unusual for Mary and Frederik.

Adelaide is a beautiful name. But what if they go with two other city names, Hobart and Sydney? :p ;) Okay, I'm joking around way too much but we have at least two months to come up with suggestions. I do like some of the suggestions in this thread although I must stick with my original proposition, Elvis and Elvira. :lol:

But aren't Jeppe Handwerk, Christian Buchwald, Peter Heering and Marie Louise Skeel common people ;)

Yes they are common:flowers:

Jeppe Handwerk is common. He met CP Frederik at the very challenging education in the naval elite special operations forces. (He has now a business of some sort).

Buchwald is common. He met CP Frederik when he was just a young student, teaching CP Frederik tennis. They developed a close friendship. (He is now a doctor of medicine.)

Peter Heering is a common but a childhoodfriend. His parents are really good friends with QMII. His father had a factory and later on his mother Susanne Heering started a balley School. (He is in insurance)

Marie Louise Skeel is possibly a noblewoman. Actually I don't know what she is doing for a living.

More reasons why MATILDA for the girl twin is a safe bet:

Scottish Queen:
Matilda of Scotland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Name used by many Danish royals, albeit as a middle name (Caroline Matilda and Sophie Matilda) so now is the time for it to be put in the first name position...

Australian association with song/poem, 'Waltzin' Matilda':
Waltzing Matilda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Origins of the name are Germanic which fits in well with Danish culture:
Matilda | Name Meaning & Origin | Girl Name Matilda | Baby Names World

So it has Scottish, Australian, Danish associations, covers all bases, is popular at the moment which seem to fit M & F's naming criteria...they want aa name with a history and royal ties but not too obscure (dare I say like Dagmar and Ingeborg)....they keep the obscure names for middle names...My proposed combo for Matilda:

Matilda Dagmar Patricia Jane...
Mary will definitely honour both her sister's in her last daughter's name, since all the important matriarchs were honoured in Isabella's 3 middle names (Henrietta, Ingrid and Margrethe)

two articles about naming the twins:
Emma, Valdemar, Lærke, Robert, Astrid, Elvis: Forsker: Det bliver ikke Elvis og Lærke - Danmark - BT.dk
Astrid and Valdemar ;) Forsker: En Astrid eller en Valdemar - Danmark - BT.dk

Nothing in this articles which i really liked :ohmy:, besides William.
Emma is nice, but not regal enough.
Astrid is fine as a middle name, but there is an evil joke with "Arschtritt" in German ("Arschtritt" sounding very much like "Astrid" in German, "Arsch" means "arse" and "tritt" means "kick" (with foot))

Martha-Louise's daughter is Emma. There was a Queen Emma of England, wife of 2 and mother of 4 english kings, and aunt to William the conqueror.

Okay, now I've got it. :)

I think there were just two royal "Mathilde" in Denmark. There was Caroline Mathilde (also written: Karoline Matilde or in UK Caroline Matilda) She lived and died in a very sad way. (also see: Caroline Matilda of Great Britain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). But i have no idea how she is seen in Denmark. Does the person Caroline Mathilde or the royal name Mathilde have a positiv connotation?

There is also another Caroline Mathilde of Denmark 1912 – 1995, mother of Princess Elisabeth (see: Princess Caroline-Mathilde of Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

While looking on wikipedia, i saw the name "Feodora" ( name of the sister of Queen Victoria and quite popular among her descendants). I really felt in love with that name :wub: But probably it is too unusual for Mary and Frederik.

There is also Mathilda of Holstein married to Valdemar II's son Abel (1225-1287)

Matilda, Princess of Denmark, eldest child of Cristofer I of Denmark (1250-1311) who married the Margrave of Brandenberg, and was niece to previous

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like the name Mathilde, I hope they don't choose that!
I still like Dorothea for a girl (she can be called Thea for short), and Eric for a boy.
Those are names that will also work in English.

Kathrina
Mary
Mathilde
Viktoria
Bridget = (Danish Birgitta)

Nicholas or Nikolas
Lukas
Jakob

I think it would be nice to have Mary's name in at least one of her children.

Last edited:
Mathilde is kind of pretty.Not my top choice but I like it in a way.I think Flora is pretty too.

Johan is one of my favorites for a boy but I don't know if it fits with Mathilde.

I also wouldn't mind Anneke...Hmm:

Anneke Dagmar Matilda Jane AND

Oscar Vilhelm Aage Frederik

I was just thinking of the name Soren Frederik Joachim Alexander for the little prince. I quite like that name.

Margarita (Dronningen)
Matilda
Josephina
Anna Maria

For the boy I do not have a clue yet

Martha-Louise's daughter is Emma. There was a Queen Emma of England, wife of 2 and mother of 4 english kings, and aunt to William the conqueror.

Yes, i know about "Emma Tallulah Behn". But i don't like it at all. Already in 2008 when Märtha-Louise's daughter was born, i thought the name, mainly Tallulah, was awkward and too strange.

Emma is not that bad, but just not regal enough. The medieval Queen Emma does not change my mind. These medieval names i often link a lot more to people born after 1900. Emma is really popular in Germany (since 1995?) and it was already between 1890 and 1910. At the moment there seem to be dozens of labrador retrievers called Emma :lol:.

There is also Mathilda of Holstein married to Valdemar II's son Abel (1225-1287)

Thank you, i didn't see her, because she is called "Mechthild von Holstein" in German and Mechthilde af Holsten in Danish. (Danish Wikipedia: Abel af Danmark - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopædi )

Matilda, Princess of Denmark, eldest child of Cristofer I of Denmark (1250-1311) who married the Margrave of Brandenberg, and was niece to previous
Her name is also Mechtild in Danish and German. ( Christoffer 1. - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopædi. )

Name used by many Danish royals, albeit as a middle name (Caroline Matilda and Sophie Matilda) so now is the time for it to be put in the first name position...
Their names are: Caroline Mathilde and Sophie Mathilde, so if the CPC choose to use this name I think it will be Mathide and not Mathilda :flowers:

Their names are: Caroline Mathilde and Sophie Mathilde, so if the CPC choose to use this name I think it will be Mathide and not Mathilda :flowers:
I was just thinking, if they would use Matilda, although it is not the traditional Danish version.
Isabella is quite modern and popular in Denmark. And Mary told a magazine that they used Isabella because it was in Frederiks ancestry. Was Elisabet af Østrig/Burgund (1501-1526) known as Elisabet/Elisabeth or as Isabella in Denmark?

In Germany she is known as "Isabella von Österreich/Habsburg", and Elisabeth is not used for her. (The Spanish "Isabel" is mainly translated to Isabella and not to Elisabeth. E.g. Isabel I de Castilla = Isabella I. von Kastilien)

I was just thinking, if they would use Matilda, although it is not the traditional Danish version.
Isabella is quite modern and popular in Denmark.
Yes, but Mathilda is not a name that is very much used in Denmark. In fact only 126 is named Mathilda (96 is named Matilda) today, where 10122 is named Mathilde (2408 is named Matilde).
So that´s the reason I think they will choose Mathilde/Matilde, if they want to use that name.

And Mary told a magazine that they used Isabella because it was in Frederiks ancestry. Was Elisabet af Østrig/Burgund (1501-1526) known as Elisabet/Elisabeth or as Isabella in Denmark?

In Germany she is known as "Isabella von Österreich/Habsburg", and Elisabeth is not used for her. (The Spanish "Isabel" is mainly translated to Isabella and not to Elisabeth. E.g. Isabel I de Castilla = Isabella I. von Kastilien)
The wife of King Christian II is known as Elisabet/Elisabeth (I can´t remember if it´s Elisabet or Elisabeth) :flowers:

The wife of King Christian II is known as Elisabet/Elisabeth (I can´t remember if it´s Elisabet or Elisabeth) :flowers:
Okay, i see - so they are not very bound to tradition.

I prefer Mathilde. But Matilda seems to be more international and it suits more to Isabella.

Is there somebody out there who likes "Feodora"?
:wub: Feodora - my new favourite.

But i still think Sophie is more likely than Mathilde/Matilda or Feodora;). But it is usually written Sofie in Denmark. So I don't know which one (f/ph) they would use.

Okay, i see - so they are not very bound to tradition.

I prefer Mathilde. But Matilda seems to be more international and it suits more to Isabella.

Is there somebody out there who likes "Feodora"?
:wub: Feodora - my new favourite.

But i still think Sophie is more likely than Mathilde/Matilda or Feodora;). But it is usually written Sofie in Denmark. So I don't know which one (f/ph) they would use.
Feodora is the name of the youngest daugther of Count Christian and Countess Anne-Dorte of Rosenborg :)

Sofie/Sophie that is pretty much the same in danish, so no preference here :flowers:

Feodora is the name of the youngest daugther of Count Christian and Countess Anne-Dorte of Rosenborg :)
I think it was her on the pedigree in the internet, who i saw first.

Sofie/Sophie that is pretty much the same in danish, so no preference here :flowers:
I used this tool (very nice to have one - in Germany it would violate data protection/privacy)
http://www.dst.dk/HomeUK/Statistics/Names/HowMany.aspx
It says (2010): Sofie 15996 women, Sophie 2587 women, Sofia 2511, Sophia 1574

I think it was her on the pedigree in the internet, who i saw first.
And therefor I don´t think they will use it. Feodora is alive and is about 35 years old, so I can´t really see the CPC use that name.
Personally I really like the name :)

I used this tool (very nice to have one - in Germany it would violate data protection/privacy)
How many have the name - Statistics Denmark
It says (2010): Sofie 15996 women, Sophie 2587 women, Sofia 2511, Sophia 1574
Yes, dst.dk is very good :flowers: I didn´t know that there was such a difference in the names, but Sofie/Sophie is pronounced the same way, so no preference (at least from me) here. It´s the same as Mathilde/Matilde.

But Sofie/Sophie and Sofia/Sophia is not pronounced the same way. I think Sofie is the old way to spell the name and that´s why there is so many with that spelling. IMO then it´s mostly women in their 60´es and over that have that way. The younger girls are named Sophie, I think. But I don´t know for sure.

As to DST violating the privacy, it will never show you names that maximum 2 has. Then it will say: "There are maximum 2 with that name".

Last edited:
I hope that if they use Matilda, it will be a middle name. I personally don't like and I don't think it goes well with Christian and Isabella. I would love to have:

Charlotte Adalaide Patricia Jane:flowers:
Caroline Matilda Patricia Jane
Katarina Matilda Patricia Jane

I am still out on a name for little Elvis but would like to see Aaron used as a middle name just because of all the posting around the babies being born on Elvis birthday.:whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom