Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
India Hicks isn't royal, she's just the daughter of a Lady.

Zara means radiance.

Emma Tallulah, Leah Isadora aren't exactly traditional. Daughters of Martha-Louise of Norway.

Isabella, more modern than traditional, last person in danish history to have that name was in the 1500's.

Alexia and Ariane of Netherlands, neither has a traditional background.

Nikolai and Felix of Denmark, both because their parents liked the names.

Princess Eléonore of Belgium & Prince Emmanuel of Belgium not traditional was chosen because he fitted the el names of the other children.

Nicholai is just another spelling for Nicholas, the Danish spelling, Nicholas is a royal name.

Alexia is the female variation of Alexander,it was stated she was named for her father who is usually refered to as Alexander.

Eleonore is a variation of Eleanor (England and france) and Leonor (daughterof the crown prince of spain, and others in spanish history)

emanuel may not have a royal history, but is a biblical name, another name given to Jesus Christ, pretty old and traditional.

Isabelle goes back to the bible, so as many times as you keep repeating Isabelle is modern not traditional, get over it, it is old.

I see Prince Daniel, Marie of Danemark, Maxima as possible godpqrents to the twins givn the close relations th CP couple has with them.

Isabella is an old name, but it is a popular name right now, thus making seem more modern.

As far as what they name the twins, I hope they surprise us all with something we'd never expect, but in a good way. I think I'll wait to actually give the names more thought when they're born. It will be much easier when we know whether we're name boys or girls, lol.

Nicholai is just another spelling for Nicholas, the Danish spelling, Nicholas is a royal name.

Alexia is the female variation of Alexander,it was stated she was named for her father who is usually refered to as Alexander.

Eleonore is a variation of Eleanor (England and france) and Leonor (daughterof the crown prince of spain, and others in spanish history)

emanuel may not have a royal history, but is a biblical name, another name given to Jesus Christ, pretty old and traditional.

Isabelle goes back to the bible, so as many times as you keep repeating Isabelle is modern not traditional, get over it, it is old.

1; It might be another "form", but they named him Nikolai not Nicholas.
2; Again female variation, but they chose to name her something unusual and not traditional like Alexandra.
3; Again, variation doesn't matter when they chose to name her Eleonore which has no royal background, other than the possible variations.
4; It might have been a biblical name, but I doubt that was the reason behind why it was chosen.
5; Like i've said, it's more modern than traditional, and she's called Isabella not Isabelle.

1;
5; Like i've said, it's more modern than traditional, and she's called Isabella not Isabelle.

Several medieval English queens were named Isabella.
I think of it as a classic name that's been around forever, like Margaret or Elizabeth.

1; It might be another "form", but they named him Nikolai not Nicholas.
2; Again female variation, but they chose to name her something unusual and not traditional like Alexandra.
3; Again, variation doesn't matter when they chose to name her Eleonore which has no royal background, other than the possible variations.
4; It might have been a biblical name, but I doubt that was the reason behind why it was chosen.

Many of the names on the popular list are old. Hmm I wonder why, perhaps because people are tending to go back towards traditional names. Face it darling, Isabella is now and forever will be traditional. And variations do matter. A Danish prince is not going to name his son Nicholas, it is English, he is going to name him the the Danish version. It is the same name, just how you pronounce it. Same with Eleonore or Leonor or Eleanore. How do you think the spanish people would have felt if their future queen was Eleanor, and english name, instead of a Spanish name. (...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Canut is the english form of Knud. So it´s only Knud that will be used ifthey choose to :flowers:

Muhler is right here: A son will with 99% have either Christian or Frederik as one of the names, not as the first name.

The oldest son of Prince Joachim is not Nicholas, but Nikolai.

Yes but what is the Danish spelling of Nicholas? Nikolai. Do you really think the crown prince of Denmark is going to choose the english spelling of a name for his son, even if it is his third or fourth child? not to mention the fact it is the English spelling of his nephew's name? Not likely.

I don't doubt Frederick is likely to be included, but Christian I highly doubt. It is tradition for First son to have Christian or frederick, nothing about younger sons.

I am not the one who stated both Canut and Knud, I was simply replying to a post which had both in their list.

Face it darling, Isabella is now and forever will be traditional.
As for Isabella: It´s not a traditional name in Denmark.
A Danish prince is not going to name his son Nicholas, it is English, he is going to name him the the Danish version. It is the same name, just how you pronounce it.
Actually, in DK then Nicholas and Nikolai are two different names. Yes, they have the same origin, but it´s considered as two names.

I don't doubt Frederick is likely to be included, but Christian I highly doubt. It is tradition for First son to have Christian or frederick, nothing about younger sons.
Will you please spell the name of our Crown Prince right? It´s not Frederick, but Frederik!

As you may know then the name of Prince Joachim is: Joachim Holger Waldemar Christian.
The names of his oldest sons are: Nikolai William Alexander Frederik and Felix Henrik Valdemar Christian.

It´s for safety reasons that the sons get either Christian or Frederik in there name, so they can take over the throne IF the heir dies either before ascending the throne or withour children.

I was thinking about names lately and I don't think they will go to much on the traditional danish names side. I think it will be something more international what with half of the twins family being non-danish (and a french aunt and grandpa too, even if they're danish by now ;) ).

That said, I like these names for the twins today (as first names. I don't think about middle names, because I don't like the concept of middle names. They are so needless IMO):

Girls:

Mathilda (international known, the first two letters from Mummy Mary and also a little nordic touch)

Boys:

Tristan: I read this name a few posts earlier when someone made a comment about Isabellas name and I instantly had a special feeling about this name regarding Mary's and Fred's twins. I would like on possible boy to be a Tristan.

And why not choose a variation from one of the family trees names like it obviously happened in the Netherlands with Alexia and Willem Alexander? It wouldn't be surprising because they have found the name Isabella the same way. Here are the names I would like:

Girls:

Magdalena (from Sophie Magdalene von Brandenburg-Kulmbach. Queen of Denmark from 1730 - 1746).

Note: Magdalena & Mathilda would sound so nice if there will be twin girls.

Charlotte (from Charlotte Friederike, Herzogin zu Mecklenburg. The first wife of Christian VIII)

Carolina or Carola (from Caroline Amalie von Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg. Second wife of Christian VIII and Queen of Denmark from 1839 - 1848)

Louisa (from all those Louise's on the family tree. I seems like this was a very common name for one of the daughters of all of thos Frederik's and Christian's :D)

Boys:

It's a little difficult with boys because of the heaps of Christian's and Frederik's out there. :D But there are also a lot of Knut's, Erik's, Sven's, Harald's and Waldemar's out there and I really like Knut and Erik. I also like the name Niels which is also present on the family tree. There are also a few Karl's but I see that name more of a possibility for a son of Victoria & Daniel instead of Mary & Frederik.

Godparents:

I still have a feeling about Prince Daniel to be one of the godparents. And maybe a few other second line royals such as Märtha Louise or one of Willem Alexanders brothers or sisters-in-law. Or maybe Prince Edward and/or Sophie? Do the danish royals have close contact to the english royals? In that case maybe Prince William or Prince Harry would be nice too. Harry does like children a lot and William will be a married man soon and start the same lifestyle as all his married colleagues (and he will be CP one day himself. So maybe it's nice to include him in the circle of royal godparents too?) Oh, and Princess Madeleine would be nice if they really chose Magdalena as a girls name, because than godmother and godchild share the same name, even if they use different variations.

Others than that I think it will not be much royality in the god-parents circle. I have a feeling that it will be mostly close friends and family (how old are Marys nephews/nieces? Are they a possibility?)

well for a girl i'd love mathilda or magdalena as well. Or something in the line of Julia? Or the female version of Frederik? as for a boy, i like andré, which is frederik's middle name, a lot.

If they choose Mathilda, I think they will use the danish name: Mathilde :)

The female version of Frederik is Frederikke :)

A Danish prince is not going to name his son Nicholas, it is English, he is going to name him the the Danish version. It is the same name, just how you pronounce it. Same with Eleonore or Leonor or Eleanore.

How do you know that Frederik isn't going to name his son Nicholas? What's wrong with the name Nicholas? Just because he's a danish prince, his country isn't going to go into meltdown if he chooses a name not Danish sounding, or are they Muhler, FasterB would you be angry if Frederik chose to name his son Nicholas?

Or maybe Prince Edward and/or Sophie? Do the danish royals have close contact to the english royals? In that case maybe Prince William or Prince Harry would be nice too. Harry does like children a lot and William will be a married man soon and start the same lifestyle as all his married colleagues (and he will be CP one day himself. So maybe it's nice to include him in the circle of royal godparents too?)

Edward is godfather to one of Joachims boys, can't remember which one.
William and Harry are IMO out of the question, as they have no close obvious connection to any royals other than the Greeks.

How do you know that Frederik isn't going to name his son Nicholas? What's wrong with the name Nicholas? Just because he's a danish prince, his country isn't going to go into meltdown if he chooses a name not Danish sounding, or are they Muhler, FasterB would you be angry if Frederik chose to name his son Nicholas?
No, I wouldn´t get angry, I would perhaps have a little laugh about the coincidence with Prince Nikolai, but only in a positive way :flowers::flowers::flowers:

No, I wouldn´t get angry, I would perhaps have a little laugh about the coincidence with Prince Nikolai, but only in a positive way :flowers::flowers::flowers:

How about any other english sounding name? :)

How about any other english sounding name? :)
No, I wouldn´t get angry. They are, after all, an international family, so their names have to be easy to pronounce outside Denmark. Even if I´m hoping for Hans (King Hans of Denmark is one of my ancestors) I´m certain that they won´t choose it, because it´s diffucult to pronounce outside DK :)

Edward is godfather to one of Joachims boys, can't remember which one.
William and Harry are IMO out of the question, as they have no close obvious connection to any royals other than the Greeks.

Edward is a godfather to Nikolai :)

I didn't know that. Thanks to you two I've learned something new today. :flowers:

Originally Posted by FasterB
Will you please spell the name of our Crown Prince right? It´s not Frederick, but Frederik!

Thank you so so much for pointing this out as it seriously bugs me. :flowers:

Yes, thank you FasterB. It bugs me too when names are not written correctly. Mostly it bugs me in the Sweden-Forum, when it comes to Madeleines name. I'm always like this :furious: when I read Madeline or Madeleen or something entirely else. And FredriCk isn't much better. It may be the same name (I know there is an version with ck in Germany), but it's just not the name of the danish CP. Just like Mary isn't Marie. ESPECIALLY not in Denmark. :hiding:

Just a thought; what if the twins were a boy and a girl and they're names would be Vilhelm and Victoria? The godparents could be Prince William and Catherine Middleton and Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel. :)

Huh?! lol I didn't think the Danish royals had a surname...confused.

As far as I know the danish royals don't have a surname.

Besides from the titel they arranged "de Montpezat":

The prince consort was Henri de Montpezat before he got married. (I hope the spelling is in order.)

He lost the surname at the marriage.

But then - perhaps a midlife crisis - he wanted his children to be "de Montpezat's".

And in some way or the other they are count de Montpezat.

But according to his first biography he never was a nobleman.

As I remember the book there was some other part of the family who could have been nobility but somehow wasn't because a paper was not delivered. But even if this part of the family had been noble - he himself would never have been noble anyway.

Why those two?

I dunno... It was just a thought. They are a young couple (I kind of wish they would participate in the events with other young royals in the future) and there is a connection with the Danes if only a slight one (Frederik -> Margrethe -> Ingrid -> Margareta). Mainly I was just thinking William because the name Vilhelm (and other derivatives of it) is one of the names regularly seen in their family trees. And the name Vilhelm fits in nicely with Victoria (or Viktoria), another traditional name.

well if they chose the name vilhelm, or other spelling variants of the same name, then a more logical godfather than prince william would be wilhelm alexander, which is quite friendly with frederik and mary. as for victoria and daniel, i can definitely see one of them being godparent!
but the goparents are known in advance or it is like the names, known during the christening itself?

Huh?! lol I didn't think the Danish royals had a surname...confused.
As far as I know the danish royals don't have a surname.
No, they don´t have a surname, but in the case of the three princesses, Ingrid and Frederik used "Ingrid" as a sort for surname. To bind the three princesses together to show who they are daugthers of.

Several people have mentioned the Crown Princess of Sweden as a potential godparent.
Is that a possibility?
I thought that since she is already godmother to Prince Christian, she couldn't serve as godmother to one of his siblings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom