Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The names you suggested all seem way too old fashioned to be considered.

Why are they not allowed?

In Denmark there is a list of approved names. If you want your child to be named a name outside the list you have to seek permission from the ministry. You can find the list here

http://www.familiestyrelsen.dk/navne/1/?no_cache=1

The boy names are the ones with the 10213 names and the girl names are the one with 12741 names. after that select the HTML to see it. hope this works

Last edited:
Why are they not allowed?
In Denmark there is a list of pre-approved names for parents to select when naming thier children, they can also request permission for usage of a name if it does not appear on the list. This can certainly save children from the embarrassment of being named after something totally ridiculous as so many children here are today.
Exactly :):):)

In Denmark there is a list of pre-approved names for parents to select when naming thier children, they can also request permission for usage of a name if it does not appear on the list. This can certainly save children from the embarrassment of being named after something totally ridiculous as so many children here are today.

Wow. I didn't know that. Thank You.
I wish we had a similar list, so children couldn't be named Mercedes or Bubble etc.

What are Mary's nieces' names? Are they pretty names? It would be nice if Mary's side of the family were acknowledged ...

Interesting. Thanks for info. :flowers: Is this common in Denmark?
No, it´s only the DRF who does it that way and IIRC then it was only King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid who has done it.

Oh, and Princess Benedikte did it with her daughters :flowers:

I don´t know if the daughters of Queen Anne-Marie and King Konstantine has more names than Alexia and Theodora... It doesn´t say so on their homepage.

What are Mary's nieces' names? Are they pretty names? It would be nice if Mary's side of the family were acknowledged ...

Mary's sibling's children are named:
Alexander
Erin
Kate
Michael
Madisson
Molly
Sherree
Michelle

I'm pretty sure, that they will not use any of these names. It is fine to name a child after his grandparents, greatgrandparents or uncle/aunts. But cousins should have different names to me. Similar or even same names are very confusing at family events.
So i think they will also not use the names of Benedikte's grandchildren or the names of Joachim's sons when it comes to first names.
(so no: Nikolai, Felix, Henrik, Friedrich Richard Oscar Jefferson, Ingrid Alexandra Irma Astrid Benedikte, Konstantin Gustav Heinrich Richard)

my guess is:
Sophie Elizabeth Margrethe Victoria
Charlotte Louise Mary Henrietta or Mathilde Louise Mary Henrietta

two boys:
William Frederik Henri Jan
Magnus Christian Andre Peter or Thomas Christian Andre Peter

Mixed:
Sophie Elizabeth Margrethe Victoria
William Frederik Andre Peter

with the boys I'm a bit insecure.

Last edited:
For boys I think:Axel, Carl, Johann, Valdemar, Michael, William, Georg, Andre, Erik

And girls: Dagmar, Alexandrine, Louise, Anne, Caroline, Josephine, Sophie, Thyra*, Charlotte, Julia

I think it'd be really adorable if they made Prince Nikolai a godfather to one of the twins, as Frederik is his godfather.

Girls:
Henrietta ( Mary's Mum)
Margrethe ( after the Queen)

Last edited:
responding to CharlotteAmalia:

Even though Oscar is one of Friedrich's middle names they still might use it after King Oscar of Norway, well that is the royal connection, although not a Danish one, but Oscar is very popular in Australia at the moment and I think Mary's (especially Mary's) taste sways towards the populist, e.g. Isabella...So I think Oscar is definitely in the running...I love the idea of Prince Oscar of Denmark, so cute!

I don't think they'll use William but they could use Vilhelm, more Danish that way and I do definitely think Thomas is on the cards too...I don't know how royal it is, but it sounds regal...Prince Thomas...and another popular name in Australia...

I would love: Xenia and Matilda, Oscar and Harald, Oscar and Matilda...I think that would be awesome :)

Even though Oscar is one of Friedrich's middle names they still might use it after King Oscar of Norway, well that is the royal connection, although not a Danish one, but Oscar is very popular in Australia at the moment and I think Mary's (especially Mary's) taste sways towards the populist, e.g. Isabella...So I think Oscar is definitely in the running...I love the idea of Prince Oscar of Denmark, so cute!

I don't think they'll use William but they could use Vilhelm, more Danish that way and I do definitely think Thomas is on the cards too...I don't know how royal it is, but it sounds regal...Prince Thomas...and another popular name in Australia...

I would love: Xenia and Matilda, Oscar and Harald, Oscar and Matilda...I think that would be awesome :)

Crownprince Frederiks full name is Frederik Andre Henrik Christian
There is no Oscar in it :)

I love your suggestions though. Beautiful names

Crownprince Frederiks full name is Frederik Andre Henrik Christian
There is no Oscar in it :)

I love your suggestions though. Beautiful names

Count Friedrich Richard Oscar Jefferson, the son of Princess Alexandra, daughter of Princess Benedikte...Not Frederik, which is different to Friedrich...So although Oscar has been used as a middle name of Frederik's cousin's child, I still think Mary and Fred may consider it...

Oscar is a very good idea! As it is only the third name of Benedikte's grandson, it is no confusing on family parties.

You are right they (F + M) will not use something old-fashioned, but will go for something popular.

I thought William is possible, because it is popular in Australia and Denmark:
Die beliebtesten Vornamen in Dänemark - kindernamen.org (William is No. 5 in Denmark)
Die beliebtesten Vornamen in Australien - kindernamen.org (William is No. 2 in Australia)
or McCrindle Research || Market Research | Social Trend Analysis | Generational Studies | Brand-Idea-Service Relevance Audits (William is No. 4 in Australia, using "search" and tipping in "baby names")

I don't believe Xenia is possible. It sounds strange to me. Harald sounds too old-fashioned to me (at least in Germany a guy called Harald is born about 1935 - so very old-fashioned to me (but not old enough like e.g. Charlotte). Harald is not in the popular Top-50-list in Denmark: http://www.dst.dk/Statistik/Navne/NamesPop.aspx

Last edited:
They won't use William for two reasons, name of Prince William (not sure of his full title) and the christening of the twins will be around the time of his April wedding, might seem too close...And the other reason is that it is the name of Countess Alexandra's (Joachim's ex-wife) father, William Manley, one of their boys has William as one of his middle name...But they very well might use 'Vilhelm/Wilhelm' which seems more Danish than the English William...

As for Harald, it might be old fashioned but it does have the cool nickname of Harry...Prince Wilhelm and Prince Harald of Denmark, if twin boys, might be the potential Danish version of Wills and Harry ;) and that kind of null and voids my comments above about the christening being close to the royal English wedding...D'oh!

And I think they could totally blindside us by using Xenia...it is a royal name with a history, it is also a gorgeous name, Princess Xenia is just too awesome!

And the other reason is that it is the name of Countess Alexandra's (Joachim's ex-wife) father, William Manley, one of their boys has William as one of his middle name...But they very well might use 'Vilhelm/Wilhelm' which seems more Danish than the English William...
The name of Countess Alexandra´s father was Richard Nigel Manley, not William.

And if they choose to use something like William/Wilhelm, then I guess it would be William as it a common name in Denmark. W/Vilhelm is not that common in Denmark. Too oldfashioned.

Last edited:
The name of Countess Alexandra´s father was Richard Nigel Manley, not William.

And if they choose to use something like William/Wilhelm, then I guess it would be William as it a common name in Denmark. W/Vilhelm is not that common in Denmark. Too oldfashioned.

Found it...William Manley, maternal great-grandfather of Nikolai (one of his middle names) So Alexandra's mother's father...So maybe the connection is thin enough to still be possible to use, but there is still the issue of Prince William, but maybe that is no biggie for Mary and Fred...Prince William of Denmark sounds pretty cool ;)

Found it...William Manley, maternal great-grandfather of Nikolai (one of his middle names) So Alexandra's mother's father...So maybe the connection is thin enough to still be possible to use, but there is still the issue of Prince William, but maybe that is no biggie for Mary and Fred...Prince William of Denmark sounds pretty cool ;)
Ahh, that connection is thin, as you say, so if F&M likes the name, then they´ll use it, I think :)

I don´t even know where to start with the names, I just have a felling about what names they won´t use :)

Actually, if William Manley's surname is Manley, then I think it is Alexandra's father's father...So William is father of Richard...maternal great-grandfather just means ggf on mother's side...

Girls:
Henrietta ( Mary's Mum)
Margrethe ( after the Queen)

Henrietta and Margrethe are already in Isabella's name, so they won't use either as the first name for one of the twins if it's a girl. I don't think you'll see either of those names repeated. It makes no sense to do that.

Wow. I didn't know that. Thank You.
I wish we had a similar list, so children couldn't be named Mercedes or Bubble etc.

What's wrong with the name Mercedes? It's Spanish for "mercy". In fact, it comes from one of the names of the Virgin Mary (Maria de las Mercedes) and is in the same vein as Dolores, Graciela, Concepción and Consuelo. It's been used as a name for centuries, long before the car ever came around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Henrietta and Margrethe are already in Isabella's name, so they won't use either as the first name for one of the twins if it's a girl. I don't think you'll see either of those names repeated. It makes no sense to do that.
I guess not... just surprised they did not use either as a first name last time!
Too bad they cannot use Ingrid...
I do like Charlotte.

How about Julianna?

Last edited by a moderator:

Why cant they use the names again?
(Sorry I am not familiar with how the naming go because in our country we automatically take the fathers name, all siblings)

It would be nice if a daughter had Renee as one of her names - from Frederik's paternal grandmother.
I would also love to see the Danish prince name Axel used again for a son :)

What's wrong with the name Mercedes? It's Spanish for "mercy". In fact, it comes from one of the names of the Virgin Mary (Maria de las Mercedes) and is in the same vein as Dolores, Graciela, Concepción and Consuelo. It's been used as a name for centuries, long before the car ever came around.

I would not use Mercedes because I'm German and close to my hometown the Mercedes cars are produced. But most people here say that they work "at/beim Daimler". Stuttgart is called satirical "Benz-Town". A few things here are linked to the founders of the automobile factory Carl Benz und Gottlieb Daimler.

Although the cars exist, you may use Mercedes in Denmark (and Germany) as a first name. It is allowed to use it: Familiestyrelsen: Listevisning

(Actually there is a problem all the time with using brand names as first names. E.g. Melitta (Coffee), Rowenta (irons), Feodora (Chocolate), Ariel (laundry)... I wouldn't use one of them as a first name, because bullying in school. (As a second name they seem okay, as most people do not use their second names on a regular basis)

They might mean that in Spain but in the UK, Mercedes = Chav. The name has been ruined by pregnancies amongst the teenagers in England.

Too bad they cannot use Ingrid...

Why?
Just because Frederik has a niece named Ingrid?

I don't think William should be crossed out because the christening will be around the April wedding.

Last edited:
I've had a long think and here's what I came up with:

Boy's names

Laurence (unusal I know but I think it has a royal ring to it)
Tobias
Max
Arvid
Emil
Kurt
Marcus

Girl's names

Johannah
Nina
Emily
Helena
Pia
Ewa
Lena
Sanna

As for God parents I have no idea. Daniel would be a really nice choice. Do either Carl Philip or Madilene have god children because if not perhaps one them (not both I don't think) could be a godparent

@ Lumutqueen
They would not want to have their child confused with Princess Ingrid of Norway would they?

They might mean that in Spain but in the UK, Mercedes = Chav. The name has been ruined by pregnancies amongst the teenagers in England.

I'm not talking about in Spain, I'm talking about in general. That's what the name means and what it represents. Just because teenage tramps in England name their babies Mercedes doesn't mean it's a bad name or that something is wrong with it.

I'm not talking about in Spain, I'm talking about in general. That's what the name means and what it represents. Just because teenage tramps in England name their babies Mercedes doesn't mean it's a bad name or that something is wrong with it.

I just think some names represents something in each country. In Denmark names like Brian og Johnny is bad guy names ( I do apologise for those with the names that are not bad guys)

I just think some names represents something in each country. In Denmark names like Brian og Johnny is bad guy names ( I do apologise for those with the names that are not bad guys)
I agree with you, betina :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom