Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want these babies to be born...the suspense is killing me and it will be a welcome distraction from attire-focused discussions ;)

Girl first names: (middle names will be combination of historical/royal/family names)
Matilda
Adelaide
Xenia
Charlotte
Anneke

Boy first names:
Harald
Oscar
Olafur
Thomas

Godparents will most likely be new and young royals and others like:
Princess Marie
Prince Daniel
Prince Madeleine
Patricia Bailey (if she isn't already?)
John Donaldson jnr.

Godparents: Princess Madeleine, Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel,
Question Do the Godparents have to be on the same religion as the parents?

Question Do the Godparents have to be on the same religion as the parents?

I am guessing probably YES...although they might have to be the same overall religion, i.e. Christian...I don't think the denomination matters though...Because Mary's family are religious but of the Presbyterian denomination...And maybe it's not like that at all, maybe the couple just don't have any Muslim or Jewish or Catholic friends? My understanding of a godparent role is to guide and influence the godchild, so having the same religious basis would help...But it could be handy having a other religion godparent to teach other ways of life, tolerance, understanding and celebrating difference, all of which would really help a future monarch of a country to relate to his/her subjects...But I just don't see it happening! Lutheran or Christian godparents all the way!

:previous:

Princess Isabella has Princess Mathilde of Belgium, a Catholic, as one of her godmothers; as well as Princess Alexia of Greece, who is, I assume, Greek Orthodox. Both of these fall under Christianity, therefore IMO (as you said Anna) it is probable that when discussing the large number of godparents for a royal child, as long as they fall under the 'family tree' of Christianity, there probably would not be a problem with them being of a different religious branch.

Last edited:
Igodmother and godfather
Prince Daniel
Princess Marie
Prince Nikolaos

I like this group for Godparents, and I'll throw in some Norwegian royals too.

As for names, I don't think we'll see Ingrid, Henrietta or Margrethe used at all since they are Isabella's middle names. However, I do Like Alexandrine, Emma, Adela, Helena, Sophia/Sophie, and Christina. For a boy, Harald, Eric, and Christopher. All are historic namesin the Danish Royal Family.

:previous:

Princess Isabella has Princess Mathilde of Belgium, a Catholic, as one of her godmothers; as well as Princess Alexia of Greece, who is, I assume, Greek Orthodox. Both of these fall under Christianity, therefore IMO (as you said Anna) it is probable that when discussing the large number of godparents for a royal child, as long as they fall under the 'family tree' of Christianity, there probably would not be a problem with them being of a different religious branch.

I think I may have posted this somehwere before, but I'll just mention that, AFAIK, Catholicism is the only Christian religion that requires at least one godparent to be of that specific religion. The other(s) can be Christian of another denomination. I've always thought of Lutheranism as being pretty conservative, as well, but given past royal godparents, any Christian religion will suffice. I think that's just common sense as we actually had a hard time finding a Catholic godparent for our own daughter amongst our generation.

:mellow:Twin girls I think, Fredrika and Marietta.
Pavlos and Marie Chantal for godparents.

I'm guessing for fun and wouldn't neccessarily chose the names or godparents.

Will they continue to have children? I think so.

What about John and Susan after Mary's dad & stepmum

What about John and Susan after Mary's dad & stepmum

I don't think they will use the name John as it is already one of Christian's names. But I do think it would be a very sweet gesture if Susan was included as a middle name. I guess it depends on the type of relationship Mary has with her stepmother.

The name Ingrid would be a nice gesture and I'm actually surprised they didn't use it for their first daughter.

The name Ingrid would be a nice gesture and I'm actually surprised they didn't use it for their first daughter.

They did her name is Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe

The Ingrid issue, is why I am so worried that they won't use the name I want (Matilda)...I think Mary and Fred didn't use Ingrid (as a first name) for their daughter because Haakon and Mette-Marit beat them to it...So while I think that Matilda is the perfect name for them (Australian feel/Germanic origins) they might not use it because of the Belgian Princess Mathilde?

But if that is the case, I would still be happy if they used it as a middle name, for example:

Xenia Dagmar Matilda Jane or
Charlotte Thyra Matilda Jane or
Anneke Benedikte Matilda Jane or
Adelaide Patricia Matilda Jane

I even think Harald is perfect for them because it would be the Danish Prince Harry, but King Harald of Sweden/Norway (sorry, forgot which one?) might mean it gets put aside...

I personally think the process of them finding names must be agonising, they have to find a historical royal precendent name, that they LIKE as a first name...then finding family names to use that sound good, that fit, and that everyone agrees on...Now they have to find EIGHT names...no wonder it takes them 3 months!!! Bring on March 2011...Can't wait!!!

The name Mathilda is not commonly used in northern Europe, it is more Mathilde which has an oldfashioned and stuffy ring to it for most Europeans. (The e is pronounced and not silent.)

The name Mathilda is not commonly used in northern Europe, it is more Mathilde which has an oldfashioned and stuffy ring to it for most Europeans. (The e is pronounced and not silent.)

I don't think Mathilde is considered stuffy in Denmark; here it is actually one of the most popular girls' names and have been for years. I considered it for my youngest daughter, now 13, but decided not to because there were so many Mathilde in our local area. But it is a beautiful name.

They probably already have the name issue covered since they know the sexes of the twins. :)

I would suggest:

Princess Caroline for a girl, or even Princess Amelia

For a boy, I would suggest Prince Hans

know what would be cute? if they had a boy and a girl and then they would name them Mary and Frederick.:heartflower:

know what would be cute? if they had a boy and a girl and then they would name them Mary and Frederick.:heartflower:

That would be good, but I would prefer if they did it Will Smith/Jada Pinkett-style (Jaden and Willow)...How about Prince Marius and Princess Frederikke?

I thought the Scandinavian/European method of feminising names or just the general ending of names was the -e which is pronounced -ah....like Mathilde, Benedikte, Anneke, Marthe, etc...hence the Frederikke...I am not sure, not an expert in this things...But I would love a set of Christian, Isabella, Marius and Frederikke...

Marius Aage Vilhelm Henrik
Frederikke Dagmar Patricia Jane

I've never seen it spelt Frederikke, just Frederika or Frederica.

It is definitely spelled Frederikke in Danish :) - not Frederika or other variations. The name is in active use today and there has been former Danish queens and princesses with this name, e.g. queen Marie Sophie Frederikke, married to Frederik VI, and crown princess Charlotte Frederikke, mother of king Frederik VII.

Frederikke would be eminently suitable for a little princess :flowers: - a really nice name.

Hopefully they use this time something more traditional athough I'm pretty sure that many people hope they don't do it...

But maybe I'm just too traditional people or maybe I just like Danish and Scandinavian names just too much;)

But can't deny hope to see something like Dagmar, Ulrika, Holger, Hans, Sven, Harald, Ingeborg, Sophie

Don't kill me for these traditional names please...:innocent:

No reason to, they are fine names Agnessa :flowers:
I do think though that Ulrika would be Ulrikke in Danish if they chose that name.

Oh yes, I forgot that in Denmark there are these kind of names usually ending with e...

Ulrika is usually in Estonian, but in Danish yes Ulrikke:)

Frederikke is a good suggestion. There's a lot of Danish Queen's that has been named Frederikke (mostly middle names, but ... yeah), Charlotte Frederikke (First wife to Christian 8.) & Marie Sophie Frederikke Dagmar, also known as Princess Dagmar & the Dowager Empress of Russia (married to Alexander 3.). So definitely a very good possibilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom